Still, for both games, I really wish unit sprites would have gotten more differences then just hair color.

Especially when it means that every Paladin looks like Marcus of all people.

honestly, part of me wanted paladins to have a battle sprite that looked like this:

Jiegan.png

look at those majestic spikes. and in fashionable purple too i mean jesus christ.

@refa: i do the same thing after an initial playthrough. i don't need to see the story every time i play the game, but it'd be nice to know one exists.

when i was busy beating mgs4 10 times in preparation of beating it on the boss extreme, i didn't care about anything story-wise. but now it's been awhile since i've played the game, and i absolutely love mgs4's story, so i want to experience it again.

• Replies 172
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I liked shadow dragon well enough to enjoy my first playtrough, but i'm not in a hurry to try it again. It felt a little outdated and I really disliked the fact that 99% of the characters where either mute or bland.

Fe12 is one of my favorites though. Its one of the harder games without making it unfair on you and I liked that they finally gave everyone a personality.

I have a huge soft spot for FE11, because I felt it had JUST enough characterization - not so much that I felt a trope was being forced into my face, but not completely devoid of it, either. In terms of gameplay, it gave me a reason to use axes, though I wish I had a reason to use stuff like Warriors. Reclassing looks silly at first, but it's a load of fun once I decided to go wild and experiment with the characters. I didn't mind the generic feel at all. The gaiden requirements are silly, but who says you have to even acknowledge that they exist?

FE12 gave everyone personalities, so yay? The sheer amount of characters that are thrown at me is, quite frankly, overwhelming - I WANT to use some of the later guys, but it's pretty hard on H1 (and not really happening on any of the higher difficulties). I prefer FE11's interface, because I keep forgetting to change my weapons in FE12. It also removed the male reclass limit, which means. . .LOOK OUT EVERYONE, IT'S CAESAR THE BISHOP!

I enjoyed FE11 even though I'm not the biggest fan of reclassing and it was somewhat on the simple side.

As to the story/character development, I feel that the series reuses the same character archetypes (and general story even) over and over that you can often see a character's "personality" after seeing their portrait and first couple lines of dialogue. I kind of like this on some level as it keeps the game focused on gameplay (I know that's not everyone's preference) while still having the kind of familiarity of seeing the "green and red-haired cavaliers" or "the cool swordsman." I think the use of these archetypes keeps the different games in the series connected to one another. So even though FE11 isn't huge on the character development, I don't think it is necessarily a major flaw personally.

people dont like shadow dragon because of lack of story and character development, but if you're looking for that you're playing the wrong series

FE4, FE5, FE7, FE9, FE10 all have a deep story.

Jarod and the Senators (besides Hetzel) were too cartoonishly evil for me to call RD's story "deep". And other things.

Same goes for the Judgral games with Loptyr's cult.

Edited by The Void

Jarod and the Senators (besides Hetzel) were too cartoonishly evil for me to call RD's story "deep".

Same goes for the Judgral games with Loptyr's cult.

A Song of Ice and Fire has cartoonishly evil villains like Joffrey. So what? Deep stories can have stupid plot elements.

http://serenesforest.net/fe10/interview10_1.html

Radiant Dawn, is the 10th game in the series. With it’s gorgeous cut scenes, wonderful soundtrack and grand storyline,

Even if you are the kind of person who prefers lighter games, while the story of the game is long, it can still be enjoyed casually.

http://serenesforest.net/general/interview4_2.html

We also made it a long story going across two generations - parents and children - with that in mind. Feeling the movements of a large-scale story while letting the player shape the future depending on their playstyle were points we tried to implement.

http://serenesforest.net/general/interview4_1.html

----I See. From the beginning, "Genealogy of Holy War" is a game with a strong storyline.

Edited by Chiki

Grand doesn't mean deep, and I'm not exactly sure the game creators' quotes are the most reliable when it comes to judging their games.

However, I still find Fe10's plotline to be excellent, only somewhat marred by Part 4. Part 1 was a nice twist on the typical Fe "defeat evil empire", Part 2 dealt with the repercussions of Elincia becoming queen (something not really seen before), and Part 3 (the best part) utilized a great concept and had excellent character development for many characters, alongside a really excellent final chapter.

Edited by Constable Reggie

FE4, FE5, FE7, FE9, FE10 all have a deep story.

while i haven't played fe10, you and I will have to agree to disagree here for the most part. I can somewhat see FE5 and FE9, but certainly not FE7 and FE4 suffers from having too short of a story since it changes very little from castle to castle.

i'm just not really ever compelled by stories in Fire Emblem games. I never really grew to hate any villain other than Trabant, over the course of the entire series.

Edited by General Horace

FE4 does not even have that complex of a storyline

Sigurd being dumb. War. Silesia. He's dead

Enter Seliph

Everyone worship Seliph

Too bad Leif is the main character for 3 chapter

Revenge and War everywhere

And thats pretty much it

Sharlow should be the main character

12 is boring, everyone has amazing growths and MU is just silly. I do like 11 though, the lower growths and limited class sets keep things interesting, as well as most people being somewhat viable.

FE4 does not even have that complex of a storyline

Sigurd being dumb. War. Silesia. He's dead

Enter Seliph

Everyone worship Seliph

Too bad Leif is the main character for 3 chapter

Revenge and War everywhere

And thats pretty much it

Sharlow should be the main character

You left out Loptyr's cult who are all cartoonishly evil without being played for laughs in a humor game like Exdeath. And the leader ended up messing things up in the last chapter.

Edited by The Void

You left out Loptyr's cult who are all cartoonishly evil without being played for laughs in a humor game like Exdeath. And the leader ended up messing things up in the last chapter.

Hunting children, causing tons of death and torturing people is "cartoonish"?

I don't want to know what cartoons you grew up with.

Edited by Folgore Red II

Well, according to some, being IM EVIL AND WANT TO KILL EVERYTHING is what qualifies as cartoonish

I don't know about others, but I find this kind of statement to be a total bullshit

To be fair, so is simplifying a plot of a story into several sentences, and Im guilty of doing exactly this

Edited by Salesmaster MU

The Lopt cult has more depth than what some people here think. It means some people don't understand FE4/FE5's story.

They don't want to "kill everything." They go child hunting not to kill children for amusement, but to raise strong enough warriors to worship Lopt. Yes, people die, but that's not the goal: rather the consequence of raising powerful warriors.

I've never seen the Lopt cult go on needless massacres. They aren't evil for the sake of being evil.

Part of the reason why they're so evil is because they lived in isolation in the Yied Desert ever since the 12 Crusaders kicked their asses. Obviously that can lead to some resentment.

The main reason they do the evil things they do is because of religious belief. That's not so cartoonish is it? It happens all the time in real life. Look at Al Qaeda. How the fuck is that "cartoonish?"

Edited by Chiki

while i haven't played fe10, you and I will have to agree to disagree here for the most part. I can somewhat see FE5 and FE9, but certainly not FE7 and FE4 suffers from having too short of a story since it changes very little from castle to castle.

i'm just not really ever compelled by stories in Fire Emblem games. I never really grew to hate any villain other than Trabant, over the course of the entire series.

I don't think you have to have a "deep" story to have a compelling story. Whilst it's predominantly archetypal, 9 and 10 have more to them thematically than most of the series. Fire Emblem really doesn't tend to have much of a message or theme behind anything it's presenting. Tellius comparatively is a little subversive compared to the usual Fire Emblem in terms of themes like racism and prejudice, and relatively speaking, a much larger amount of characters actually significantly play a role in the plot. This is because as far as "factions" go, there are just frankly a much larger amount with varied goals and purposes as opposed to "everyone hates the bad guys". This applies to both 9 and 10, although ultimately you can argue that the fact everyone bands together at the end belittles it. It's also downplayed because amost none of the villains are actually interesting, wheras at least there was SOME dynamic with Nergal and Lyon beforehand.

I think Ike as a character fit the whole standarised Hero's Journey/Monomyth a lot better than any other main character, mostly because he was basically a nobody who rose up through his own ability and his process of learning and identifying with the world and its people is a lot more earnest than royals in the series. Even just going by how much more hax in gameplay he is than the usual MC, or how he's very important for dealing with the strongest enemies in the game (fuck yeah Wrath/Resolve Ike vs Ashnard).

I found the stories in those games to be enjoyable and they helped give more meaning to some of the scenes like when Ike faces off against Black Knight, or Jill fought Shiharam (the base convo with Jill after this one was pretty grim), even just WTF moments like when BK appears to save Miccy in part 1. There are a lot of shallow villains and characters, but at least their integration into the story is woven through different angles on a large scale which makes it more interesting than the usual fare.

Edited by Irysa