I'd personally say the first one, since Laurent is potentially one of the best magic users in the game.

But what's with Ricken!Brady, Stahl!Inigo, and Sumia!Lucina/Chrom!Cynthia? That's kind of a weird thing to do.

On an unrelated note, your avi is really freaking me out (Although it always has).

Ricken!Brady is a staple unit that has performance I can trust.

Performed very well in my last run of said challenge, and since Brady doesn't exactly need anything to do well, I don't see a reason to change. His output and Magic-tanking abilities are great.

Stahl!Inigo by all means is Chrom!Inigo with 1 STR in place of 1 SPD which isn't a whole lot of difference, and since Astra/Luna > RFK/Luna, the lack of RFK doesn't bother him.

The shift to Sumia!Lucina and Chrom!Cynthia is the big change here, and if I'm right, might come out better, due to Aether/Luna on Cynthia and Tomefaire on Lucina. [Only concern is being below the Nuke Threshold on Invincisorc, but Lucina doesn't exactly perform that well on those guys either way] But their performance is at a point that I'm already content with either way.

However that change has quite the impact on Morgan.

Olivia!Lucina!Morgan has +7 SPD, or 47 as a sniper. Given tonic and Bow Knight Pair Up-- 57. If she were given an Assassin, that's 58... 2 shy of 60: the survival threshold for the Helswath Berserker.

However, Sumia!Lucina!Morgan has a nice +9 SPD-- 49. Same resources she hits 60, which means she can take a hit from the 'zerker. Since the Brave Bow > Double Bow this allows me to bring that boss down easier, and pull the "Double Bersersker" apart, which makes engaging those much easier.

[And is ACVD Lucina really that freaky?]

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Before I post any real comments here, is this about pairing stats or just pairing in general?

This topic's for stats/optimization.

You're gonna get more ship-to-ship combat than the whole of that new assassin's creed game if you're looking at anything else.

How good is Vaike x Cherche = Gerome? In my past experiences Gerome has always sucked... even with Frederick as the father...

Hits like a truck.

The thing about Gerome is that he is a terrible anything besides PHYSICAL pair up partner.

So the idea is maximize him in that role. Which Vaike does very well-- gives him access to Berserker. The +7 STR Mod, combined with Axefaire and 'zerker's 50 STR brings him up to 80 ATK at caps before LB/Rallies/Agg/Tonic while wielding a Forged Brave Axe. Given those things, he'll pull 110+ ATK no problem, which means he can 4-shot even the "Nightmare Sniper" [70 DEF boss].

Hey folks! Looking for some opinions on pairings.

I've already locked in all my first-gen pairs and the MaMuxLucina pair, so I'm looking for opinions on the Gen2's, mostly. I don't mind comments on the gen1 pairs though.

Gen1'ers:

Chrom-Olivia

Nowi-Vaike

Sully-Donnel

Tharja-Gaius

Cordelia- Kellam

Sumia – Fred

Lissa- Stahl

Cherche-Gregor

Maribelle – Henry

Panne – Lon'Qu

Miriel- Ricken

Immediate notes: I hate Cynthia and Laurent's personalities, so will be pairing the two of them together and simply not using them.

Current drafted set-ups:

Olivia!Lucina - Assassin (LB, GF, RK, Lethality, Aether)

paired with MaMu - Dreadfighter* (LB, AT, Axefaire, Ignis, Pavise/Luna)

Note: I like Dreadfighter as a class and won't be changing that, purely out of personal preference.

Vaike!Nah - Wyvern Lord (LB, Axefaire, AT, Luna, Aggressor/Lifetaker/Pavise/Sol/Breaker skill)

The idea here was to have a Nah that hits like a complete freight train, as one of my Melee frontliners, since I did not pass Galeforce.

Henry!Brady - Sage (LB, GF, Luna, Tomefaire, Aggressor)

Standard Brady.

Lucina!Morgan - Sorceror (LB, AT, GF then either VV or Ignis/Aether depending on what I feel like doing)

Stahl!Owain - Paladin (LB, GF, Luna, Swordfaire, DGP)

Support Melee Owain.

Gaius!Noire - Bride (LB, GF, Bowfaire, Luna, Lifetaker/DGP)

Support Unit who grabs a kill with Galeforce and spends enemy phase in the back.

Lon'Qu!Yarne - ??? (LB, ??)

I don't really know what I want to do with Yarne. I have him set up as a utility unit with Deliverer, Acrobat (when he's not a flying class), Lucky 7, Pass.

Gregor!Gerome - Zerker (LB, AT, Axefaire, Deliverer, ??)

Fairly standard support Gerome, but I don't know what to use for the 5th skill.

Chrom!Inigo - Hero/SM (LB, GF, AT, RK, Lethality)

Brave weapon Lethality guy for 1/2 attacks, then Helswath for enemy phase 1-2 (as a Hero) or Amatsu as a Swordmaster.

Kellam!Severa - (Unsure on class) (LB, GF, AT Luna, DGP/Lifetaker/Lancefaire/Sol/Pavise)

Not sure what class I want her in, or if I want her running Support/Frontline.

Donny!Kjelle - Wyvern Lord (LB, GF, AT, Luna, Lancefaire)

Essentially Nah with Galeforce. Planned on using her as a frontliner.

I want to have at least 1 Galeforce per pairing so that I can take advantage of the extra movement. So with those units, I had the following initially drafted pairs:

(Front/Back)

MaMu/Lucina

Morgan/Brady

Nah/Owain

Kjelle/Gerome

Severa/Yarne?

Immediate notes: I hate Cynthia and Laurent's personalities, so will be pairing the two of them together and simply not using them.

:(:

You m-m-monster.

:P:

Actually Cynthia is amazing as a unit as well as a character, but using her is totally your call (obviously).

Olivia!Lucina - Assassin (LB, GF, RK, Lethality, Aether)

paired with MaMu - Dreadfighter* (LB, AT, Axefaire, Ignis, Pavise/Luna)

Note: I like Dreadfighter as a class and won't be changing that, purely out of personal preference.

@Bold - Ha, me too.

Anyways. Lethality is rather unreliable, Luna or Astra is better IMO, etc. Many Lucinas can work; consider Paladin or Falcoknight or something so that at least one of the pair will have high Mov.

Vaike!Nah - Wyvern Lord (LB, Axefaire, AT, Luna, Aggressor/Lifetaker/Pavise/Sol/Breaker skill)

The idea here was to have a Nah that hits like a complete freight train, as one of my Melee frontliners, since I did not pass Galeforce.

"Too slow, bro!" Seriously, Wyvern Lord is slow, and Nah's mods don't help that at all. This could probably work as a support I guess. She can't get Aggressor, BTW. Sol has negative synergy due to conflicting procs, blah-blah-blah. Axebreaker or Swordbreaker could work, but since I'd suggest using her as a support, Deliverer would probably be better.

Henry!Brady - Sage (LB, GF, Luna, Tomefaire, Aggressor)

Standard Brady.

Best unit right there.

Lucina!Morgan - Sorceror (LB, AT, GF then either VV or Ignis/Aether depending on what I feel like doing)

Sorc is okay, but Sage is usually better due to higher Mag and Spd. Dark Flier is better for mobility, though. That's basically the set I use, actually. Olivia!Lucina!Morgan as a Dark Flier with LB/AT/GF/Vantage/Vengeance, because I love mobility.

Stahl!Owain - Paladin (LB, GF, Luna, Swordfaire, DGP)

Support Melee Owain.

Okay I guess. Owain's mods generally prefer Magic, but this should work fine.

Gaius!Noire - Bride (LB, GF, Bowfaire, Luna, Lifetaker/DGP)

Support Unit who grabs a kill with Galeforce and spends enemy phase in the back.

She'd probably rather be a Magic-wielding class, so a Sorc or a Dark Flier, for Movement.

Lon'Qu!Yarne - ??? (LB, ??)

I don't really know what I want to do with Yarne. I have him set up as a utility unit with Deliverer, Acrobat (when he's not a flying class), Lucky 7, Pass.

When in doubt, make Yarne a support Berserker, IMO. Hit like a truck, and give great physical pair-up bonuses. So,

LB/Axefaire/Swordbreaker/Deliverer/something else.

Gregor!Gerome - Zerker (LB, AT, Axefaire, Deliverer, ??)

Fairly standard support Gerome, but I don't know what to use for the 5th skill.

Swordbreaker, since you're Axelocked. Basically same as Yarne, although he gets Armsthrift which is cool.

Chrom!Inigo - Hero/SM (LB, GF, AT, RK, Lethality)

Brave weapon Lethality guy for 1/2 attacks, then Helswath for enemy phase 1-2 (as a Hero) or Amatsu as a Swordmaster.

Swordlock sucks. Paladin and Hero are your best bets. Assassin is fine too. Lethality is rather unreliable, though, so I'd swap that and Rightful King out for Luna + Astra (if you do the math, you have a higher chance of activating either Luna or Astra than you do a RFK-boosted anything else).

Kellam!Severa - (Unsure on class) (LB, GF, AT Luna, DGP/Lifetaker/Lancefaire/Sol/Pavise)

Not sure what class I want her in, or if I want her running Support/Frontline.

Assassin is fun, as is Hero. She could manage Falcoknight as well (she get Lancefaire, which is nice for that. Sol has negative synergy with Luna (the proccing conflicts, and will may interfere with dealing enough damage)).

Donny!Kjelle - Wyvern Lord (LB, GF, AT, Luna, Lancefaire)

Essentially Nah with Galeforce. Planned on using her as a frontliner.

Ew. Slow and stuff. Paladin is nice, Hero is nice, Assassin is nice, Falcoknight is okay. Wyvern Lord is slow.

I'm not as solid on 2nd-gen marriages, but I would suggest pairing Nah with a frontliner like Inigo, because she's slow.

Hope that helps. There are a couple pairings I would have changed, but it's very solid overall.

Have fun with the wall of text!

Help me decide my OTP. Stahl!Yarne or Stahl!Gerome? Gregor!Yarne or Gregor!Gerome? This is an optimization question.

Gregor!Gerome and Stahl!Yarne IMO.

Neither are going to be frontliners, and this way Gerome gets Berserker. Also means that he gets Armsthrift and stuff for my ~Gerome Bias~, but even without bias this way is better.

Make sure to have Panne pass Swordbreaker, though, since if Yarne runs around as a 'zerker he'll be Axelocked. Deliverer works as well, though, I guess. Consider Paladin Yarne as well I guess? If you don't want two 'zerkers or something.

Okay so I'm going to pair my Male!MyUnit with Olivia, but I don't know which skill to pass down to the two children. For Inigo, I know Olivia will pass down Galeforce, but I'm not sure what MyUnit should pass down...For Female Morgan, I don't know if I should just pass down Galeforce, or can she just get it herself/worth it to get it? Also don't know what skill MyUnit should pass down to her either...

Edited by LuigiandShadowGirl

I like to pass galeforce to Morgan to avoid the trouble of going through dark flier, but it doesn't matter at all. I mean, there's Luck +4, but it sucks, so... None of the male skills are amazing for Morgan, so I like to pass stuff from classes that are inconvenient for her to be in.

I like to pass galeforce to Morgan to avoid the trouble of going through dark flier, but it doesn't matter at all. I mean, there's Luck +4, but it sucks, so... None of the male skills are amazing for Morgan, so I like to pass stuff from classes that are inconvenient for her to be in.

Dark Flier is such a nice class, though...

I usually pass either Counter (for potential StreetPass trollage), Wrath (for potential VVW), or Rally Strength (for ULTIMATE TACTICIAN).

As Duck said though, it doesn't really matter...

I JUST REALIZED HOW FLAWED THIS IS BECAUSE MY MORGAN ENDS UP AS A DARK FLIER. CRAP.

Also, by the way, her final class is going to be a Grandmaster so... I'm really considering passing Galeforce so she can skip the Dark Flier tree altogether.

Dark Flier is such a nice class, though...

I usually pass either Counter (for potential StreetPass trollage), Wrath (for potential VVW), or Rally Strength (for ULTIMATE TACTICIAN).

As Duck said though, it doesn't really matter...

Thanks for the suggestions! I was trying to decide between Counter or Wrath, but couldn't figure out which one to choose...

I'd say pass Axefaire to Morgan(F)

How come Axefaire? I forgot to mention her final class is a Grandmaster, so she won't be using Axes...

So I'm starting my first lunatic run and these are my planned pairings:

MUxTharja

SullyxDonnel

FredrickxCherche

ChromxOlivia

GaiusxNowi

StahlxCordelia

GregorxPanne

RickenxLissa

Lon'quxMiriel

LibraxMaribelle

HenryxSumia

So I'm looking for suggestions and criticisms before I get too far in.

MUxTharja

SullyxDonnel

FredrickxCherche

ChromxOlivia

GaiusxNowi

StahlxCordelia

GregorxPanne

RickenxLissa

Lon'quxMiriel

LibraxMaribelle

HenryxSumia

Consider swapping Fred and Gregor, so that both kids get Berserker and stuff.

Or just forget about Fred and do Vaike!Gerome instead.

Other than that it looks fine. You could do Gregor!Laurent maybe for ridiculous VV w/ Armsthrift if you're into that (so, Fred!Yarne, Vaike!Gerome, Gregor!Laurent).

MUxTharja

SullyxDonnel

FredrickxCherche

ChromxOlivia

GaiusxNowi

StahlxCordelia

GregorxPanne

RickenxLissa

Lon'quxMiriel

LibraxMaribelle

HenryxSumia

They honestly look fine. Maybe Virion!Brady for Deliverer, but that's it.

Just wondering what people thing of my pairings for when I get FE13 (Brackets indicate possible changes) Both gameplay and narrative perspective are appreciated

SumiaxChrom

OliviaxAvatar

LissaxDonnel (Lon'qu)

MaribellexHenry (Ricken)

SullyxStahl

CherchexVirion (Gregor)

TharjaxLon'qu (Libra)

NowixKellam (Donnel)

PannexGaius (Henry)

CordeliaxGregor

MirielxRicken

Edited by eggs4king

The majority of the pairings I disagree with are largely because you have redundant classes or non-optimal skill inheritance.

CordeliaxGregor is wasteful because Gregor gives Mercenary, and Severa already has it.

Same idea for PannexGaius (Yarne cannot get Gaius' Peg Knight, which Noire, Nah, or Kjelle like to have), LissaxDonny (Owain can already get Galeforce from Lissa).

But how you want to change it really depends on what you're looking to achieve. I like to try to get as many people with Galeforce/Armsthrift as possible (because I value those skills due to the convenience in playstyle), while also passing as many class options as possible to the child.

Do you have any goals in mind for what you want to do?

The majority of the pairings I disagree with are largely because you have redundant classes or non-optimal skill inheritance.

CordeliaxGregor is wasteful because Gregor gives Mercenary, and Severa already has it.

Same idea for PannexGaius (Yarne cannot get Gaius' Peg Knight, which Noire, Nah, or Kjelle like to have), LissaxDonny (Owain can already get Galeforce from Lissa).

But how you want to change it really depends on what you're looking to achieve. I like to try to get as many people with Galeforce/Armsthrift as possible (because I value those skills due to the convenience in playstyle), while also passing as many class options as possible to the child.

Do you have any goals in mind for what you want to do?

I'm going more for story than gameplay, being

My first play through. Just curious if any of these pairings make them unusable. Gregor and gaius were just leftovers really...

What changes would you make? But OliviaxAvatar is happening! (I WANT GODNIGO!)

Edited by eggs4king

My first play through. Just curious if any of these pairings make them unusable. Gregor and gaius were just leftovers really...

Just so you know, unless you sit around for 100 turns spamming Olivia's dance to boost her level, Inigo will probably wind up with terrible base stats (and Morgan too, in this case).

Donnel should go to Nowi, Tharja, or Sully, to give one of them Pegasus knight.

Same thing with Gaius.

For Gerome's Dad, I like Vaike, Gregor, or Stahl. Vaike is able to give Mercenary to a female child, but not a male, however. I did GregorxCherche and VaikexNowi on my last run. NowixKellam is fine if you're aiming for the Defense monster build.

I'm not really a huge Yarne fan, so he often just gets whatever I have left over.

Cordelia goes well with several husbands, so I like to give her Frederick, Kellam, or Lon'Qu. The former two give her GK to get Luna, and Lon'Qu for crazy stat mods. (+6 speed)

Strictly speaking, there are no picks that really make a unit UNUSABLE, there are just ones that give more skills/classes than others, or tweak stat mods to suit your preference.