Alright, Virion.

Virion!Severa: Virion and Lon'qu share the ability to pass Severa Wyvern along with the mods to use it well, a niche she only shares with Morgan. With LB/GF/LF/Veng/All+2 and a Berserker support, she reaches 75 Spd, while having the highest Atk of any 8-Mov unit. Flight is also very helpful on Wave 5. Anyway, Virion and Lon'qu are identical in terms of Wyvern, but Lon'qu gives SF for Hero and Virion gives TF for Dark Flier- I just tend to prefer the latter.

Virion!Nah/Yarne: These two are similar so I'm lumping them together. Virion passes the highest Skl mod of any Archer (gives Skl+2), meaning that Virion!Nah/Yarne are at their highest possible potential for boosting DS rates. Both of them can be Snipers for this, but Yarne still appreciates Hit+20 as a Berserker and Nah can work well as a Sage for greater pairing potential. Gerome is in the same basket, though he'll be relegated to Bowfaire Warrior with Virion.

As for Brady, he's got everything and just cares about mods- which are what Virion has to offer. Lon'qu is better, but between Severa and Laurent he's usually busy. Libra/Ricken/Henry can give Brady mods too, but they're harder to shuffle around and Henry!Brady in particular has a tendency to cause snafus with other pairings (I haven't looked too closely into this, but either Inigo, Gerome or Nah usually gets stuck with someone suboptimal as a result).

Hey im pretty new to Awakening, finished my first play through and want to start a new file, been reading the last 20 pages or so to get some ideal for optimizing units to take on endgame dlc. You've been a huge help on this matter and i saw you were entertaining the idea of making an up-to-date pairing guide. Just wondering if thats gonna be happening? Really appreciate the advise given so far

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Welcome back AC

Hey im pretty new to Awakening, finished my first play through and want to start a new file, been reading the last 20 pages or so to get some ideal for optimizing units to take on endgame dlc. You've been a huge help on this matter and i saw you were entertaining the idea of making an up-to-date pairing guide. Just wondering if thats gonna be happening? Really appreciate the advise given so far

Would the pairing guide cover just the top pairings for each kid or a unique run down of every single possibility? If he needs a contribution I wouldn't mind helping him out either. Edited by Ownagepuffs

Virion!Nah/Yarne: These two are similar so I'm lumping them together. Virion passes the highest Skl mod of any Archer (gives Skl+2), meaning that Virion!Nah/Yarne are at their highest possible potential for boosting DS rates. Both of them can be Snipers for this, but Yarne still appreciates Hit+20 as a Berserker and Nah can work well as a Sage for greater pairing potential. Gerome is in the same basket, though he'll be relegated to Bowfaire Warrior with Virion.

As for Brady, he's got everything and just cares about mods- which are what Virion has to offer. Lon'qu is better, but between Severa and Laurent he's usually busy. Libra/Ricken/Henry can give Brady mods too, but they're harder to shuffle around and Henry!Brady in particular has a tendency to cause snafus with other pairings (I haven't looked too closely into this, but either Inigo, Gerome or Nah usually gets stuck with someone suboptimal as a result).

Lol Virion!Nah barely passes any worthwhile support skills other than Skill +2 and Bowfaire(If you plan on making her a Bow Knight or Sniper).

I might be wrong however, and if i am, should i do Virion!Nah instead of Vaike!Nah?

Virion!Brady loses 1 Mag for 2 more speed and 1 more skill, but misses out on Anathema/Hex from Libra!Brady, which arent that great anyway. Im thinking i should go with Virion!Brady instead. Would this be the right choice?

Lol Virion!Nah barely passes any worthwhile support skills other than Skill +2 and Bowfaire(If you plan on making her a Bow Knight or Sniper).

I might be wrong however, and if i am, should i do Virion!Nah instead of Vaike!Nah?

Virion!Brady loses 1 Mag for 2 more speed and 1 more skill, but misses out on Anathema/Hex from Libra!Brady, which arent that great anyway. Im thinking i should go with Virion!Brady instead. Would this be the right choice?

Sage Virion!Brady can double Anna when S ranked with a Dark Flier. Due to Virion's Hit +20, he can do it with great accuracy too. It counts for something.

Before I ask these questions I'd just like say I'm aware these pairings aren't optimal and I'm not changing them

Ricken!Brady only has 43 speed as sage. I'm thinking of dropping TF for all stats +2, is this a good idea?

Would Stahl!Kjelle work better in support as a paladin or sniper?

Is astra or vengence better for a hero Henry!Inigo?

What class should a Frederick! Laurent be?

Ok this is bs, i already started my lunatic file and im at freakin chapter 4. Took me a very long time to get there before i realized that u had to rebeat Grima on your main file so that you can transfer over your renown BEFORE you start a new file. Now i only have 1350 Renown on my Lunatic file instead of 63000. I want to restart, but it really took me a long time to get to chapter 4.

I cri everytime :(

Welcome back AC

Would the pairing guide cover just the top pairings for each kid or a unique run down of every single possibility? If he needs a contribution I wouldn't mind helping him out either.

The run down of every single possibility would be incredible, but seems like that would be a nightmare to write up, assuming there are many different parings viable? I guess the most essential guildlines to build a solid team for Apo would be nice. Im playing a hard playthrough right now and plan to do lunatic after i beat this one.

Just checking, from what I've heard about Inigo and Nah, I've gathered that the reason that Nah is considered to go best with Inigo is that Inigo is the only one of the galeforce boys who can realistically go physical, barring a physical male Morgan, right?

Meaning that if I do have a physical male Morgan, Nah could work just as well with him, right?

Just checking, from what I've heard about Inigo and Nah, I've gathered that the reason that Nah is considered to go best with Inigo is that Inigo is the only one of the galeforce boys who can realistically go physical, barring a physical male Morgan, right?

Meaning that if I do have a physical male Morgan, Nah could work just as well with him, right?

Owain can technically be a physical galeboy but only as a dread fighter.

To answer your question, Nah would work well with Physical Morgan

You've been a huge help on this matter and i saw you were entertaining the idea of making an up-to-date pairing guide. Just wondering if thats gonna be happening?

It is, and I've been working on it.

Would the pairing guide cover just the top pairings for each kid or a unique run down of every single possibility? If he needs a contribution I wouldn't mind helping him out either.

Every possible child? Yes (excluding some Asset/Flaw combos on Morgan, and all 3rd gen Morgans who don't have a notable stat and have a bad other parent). Every possible team? That would be ridiculous.

If anyone wants to contribute, try to find ways to make the children not on the main list useful. That could be anything from doing the math to show that no-proc-having GF users can still reliably KO with the right support, to finding a realistic way to make someone deemed too slow to use hit 75 Spd without sacrificing too much Atk. Noticing that someone isn't as great as they're chalked up to be helps too. The current list is

Chrom x Sumia/Maribelle/Olivia

Lissa x Ricken/Libra

Sully x Donnel

Miriel x Stahl/Lon'qu/Ricken/Gregor

Sumia x Chrom/Henry

Maribelle x Chrom/Virion/Lon'qu/Ricken/Libra/Henry

Panne x Fred/Virion/Vaike/Stahl/Kellam/Gregor

Cordelia x Virion/Vaike/Stahl/Lon'qu/Ricken

Nowi x Virion/Vaike/Stahl/Gregor/Henry

Tharja x Gaius

Olivia x Chrom/Fred/Stahl/Ricken/Libra

Cherche x Virion/Vaike/Stahl/Gregor/Henry

The best places to start looking are Nowi (Nah's fathers are fairly close, so it wouldn't take much to get someone on the list) and Fred!Cynthia (If she could be made useful, it would free up Henry and Chrom at the same time, which would provide a ton of freedom for the other pairings and open some interesting possibilities).

Nah doesn't have that much to run, to be honest. Your Virion!Nah would use LB/Faire/Skl+2/Atk+2/Hit+20, though most would swap Hit+20 for All+2. Virion vs Vaike depends on what stats you want your pairup to boost, Hero Vaike!Nah gives Spd and Skl while Sage gives Mag and Skl. If Hero allows you to break 75 Spd, it's worth it.

Before I ask these questions I'd just like say I'm aware these pairings aren't optimal and I'm not changing them

Ricken!Brady only has 43 speed as sage. I'm thinking of dropping TF for all stats +2, is this a good idea?

Would Stahl!Kjelle work better in support as a paladin or sniper?

Is astra or vengence better for a hero Henry!Inigo?

What class should a Frederick! Laurent be?

1. If it lets you break 75 Spd, then yes.

2. Depends who she's supporting.

3. Vengeance.

4. Sage or Berserker, depending on who he's supporting.

Care to elaborate? I've had difficulty trying to math it up without elaborate Morgan skill builds.

While working on my guide last night, I was compiling a list of the maximum possible of every stat it's possible for every child to get (sans Barracks and Defender). I got around to Skl, and was kind of surprised by just how much it's possible to have (this is greatly helped by the high distribution of Assassin). Once I made the list, it was pretty easy to just pick-and-choose a team that worked.

I'll post the list in a few minutes, right now I'm on a different computer.

Edit- here we go. The formatting is a little messed up, but it's still readable. Format is Child, highest Skl class, Skl mod, max Skl, and max Skl + their Skl pairup boost.

[spoiler=Max Skl list]

-Owain-

Fred: Assassin, +2 74/81

Virion: Sniper, +2 76/84

Stahl: Sniper, +1 75/83

Vaike: Assassin, +1 73/80

Kellam: Assassin, +1 73/80

Donnel: Assassin, -1 71/78

Lon'qu: Assassin, +3 75/82

Ricken: Sniper, 0 74/82

Gaius: Assassin, +2 74/81

Gregor: Assassin, +2 74/81

Libra: Assassin, +1 73/80

Henry: Assassin, +2 74/81

-Laurent-

Fred: Sage, +4 71/78

Virion: Sniper, +4 78/86

Stahl: Sniper, +3 77/85

Vaike: Assassin, +3 75/82

Kellam: Assassin, +3 75/82

Donnel: Hero, +1 71/79

Lon'qu: Assassin, +5 77/84

Ricken: Sniper, +2 76/84

Gaius: Assassin, +4 76/83

Gregor: Assassin, +4 76/83

Libra: Sage, +3 70/77

Henry: Assassin, +4 76/83

-Brady-

Chrom: Sniper, +3 77/85

Fred: Sage, +4 71/78

Donnel: Hero, +1 71/79

Libra: Sage, +3 70/77

-Yarne-

Fred: Assassin, +5 77/84

Virion: Sniper, +5 79/87

Stahl: Sniper, +4 78/86

Vaike: Assassin, +4 76/83

Kellam: Assassin, +4 76/83

Donnel: Assassin, +2 74/81

Lon'qu: Assassin, +6 78/85

Ricken: Sniper, +3 77/85

Gaius: Assassin, +5 77/84

Gregor: Assassin, +5 77/84

Libra: Assassin, +4 76/83

Henry: Assassin, +5 77/84

-Inigo-

Chrom: Sniper, +3 77/85

Fred: Assassin, +4 76/83

Donnel: Assassin, +1 73/80

Libra: Assassin, +3 75/82

-Gerome-

Fred: Hero, +2 72/80

Donnel: Hero, -1 69/77

Libra: Hero, +1 71/79

-Kjelle-

Chrom: Sniper, +4 78/86

Fred: Assassin, +5 77/84

Donnel: Assassin, +2 74/81

Ricken: Assassin, +3 75/82

Libra: Assassin, +4 76/83

-Cynthia-

Chrom: Sniper, +4 78/86

Fred: FK, +5 74/77

-Severa-

Fred: Hero, +5 75/83

Donnel: Hero, +2 72/80

Ricken: Sniper, +3 77/85

Libra: Hero, +4 74/82

-Nah-

Fred: Sage, +2 69/76

Donnel: Hero, -1 69/77

Libra: Sage, +1 68/75

-Noire-

Fred: Sniper, +2 76/84

Vaike: Sniper, +1 75/83

Kellam: Sniper, +1 75/83

Donnel: Sniper, -1 73/81

Lon'qu: Sniper, +3 77/85

Gaius: Sniper, +2 76/84

Gregor: Sniper, +2 76/84

Libra: Sniper, +1 75/83

Henry: Sniper, +2 76/84

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Nah doesn't have that much to run, to be honest. Your Virion!Nah would use LB/Faire/Skl+2/Atk+2/Hit+20, though most would swap Hit+20 for All+2. Virion vs Vaike depends on what stats you want your pairup to boost, Hero Vaike!Nah gives Spd and Skl while Sage gives Mag and Skl. If Hero allows you to break 75 Spd, it's worth it.

43+10(LB)+8(Pair)+8(Rally)+2(Tonic)=71. Unless i do barracks boost and have rally heart/all+2, i cant get 75 speed with Owain no matter what. This is Ricken!Owain sage, btw. So i guess i am better off giving Nah Virion, although Virion!Brady looks sooo much better than Libra!Brady. What do you think i should do?

Actually Sage's Spd base is 42, but you've got +1 from mods.

Definitely go Hero in that case, because without it you'll be even slower and unable to double the Berserkers.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

They're viable, but since the options are so limited it's possible to pin one set as objectively better than the other through numbers alone. I'll mention it, though.

Ok, Vaike!Nah it is, but what about the Virion!Brady vs Libra!Brady? I honestly find Virion Brady to give better mods and skills.

Every possible child? Yes (excluding some Asset/Flaw combos on Morgan, and all 3rd gen Morgans who don't have a notable stat and have a bad other parent). Every possible team? That would be ridiculous.

If anyone wants to contribute, try to find ways to make the children not on the main list useful. That could be anything from doing the math to show that no-proc-having GF users can still reliably KO with the right support, to finding a realistic way to make someone deemed too slow to use hit 75 Spd without sacrificing too much Atk. Noticing that someone isn't as great as they're chalked up to be helps too. The current list is

Chrom x Sumia/Maribelle/Olivia - The big 3. No objections here.

Lissa x Ricken/Libra - VV Owain and Luna Owain. Maybe Stahl should get a mention here for physical focused Owain?

Sully x Donnel - Gaius should be listed since he is her other gale dad and he effectively turns her into a fusion of Lon'qu!Severa and Stahl!Severa. Vaike as well for behing her best non gale dad.

Miriel x Stahl/Lon'qu/Ricken/Gregor - Vantage and Ricken. No objections.

Sumia x Chrom/Henry - No objections. For what it's worth Dark Flier Frederick!Cynthia has a ton of Skill and can still hit 75 Spd when paired with Assassin. But I'm grasping at this point.

Maribelle x Chrom/Virion/Lon'qu/Ricken/Libra/Henry - No objections

Panne x Fred/Virion/Vaike/Stahl/Kellam/Gregor - No objections

Cordelia x Virion/Vaike/Stahl/Lon'qu/Ricken - No objections

Nowi x Virion/Vaike/Stahl/Gregor/Henry - No objections

Tharja x Gaius - Same as Kjelle. Donnel should be mentioned. Gregor as well for being her best non galeforce dad by far.

Olivia x Chrom/Fred/Stahl/Ricken/Libra - No objections

Cherche x Virion/Vaike/Stahl/Gregor/Henry - Bowfaire and Axefaire. No objections

OKay, so I added a new rule to my playthrough:

1: No using children characters in skirmishes or DLC before beating the game

2: No using limit breaker before beating the game

3: No using guest tacticians or Einherjar before beating the game

4: No using more than two seals on any character who has children before recruiting said children (to avoid allowing (and thus demanding) excessive stat grinding for children without restricting the skillset a child can start out with)

5: No using brave weapons ever under any circumstances.

So I've second-sealed Nowi into a griffon rider as her first seal use, planning on passing down deliverer to Morgan and Nah. Her stats as a level 8 Griffon Rider are as follows:

HP: 61

STR: 38

MAG: 15

SKILL: 23

SPD: 35

LCK: 34

DEF: 32

RES: 21

What should I have her second class-change be to most benefit her daughters statistically?

Also, what should I second-seal my Grandmaster (already used a master seal) Avatar into for a good skill to pass down to his daughters?

Wait, why is Nah supposed to be physical? It seems to a noob like me that she would be better with magic, since she always gets Sage but can never get Berserker.

Well she can never get berserker, but she CAN get General, which is just as strong if I recall correctly. But beyond that I have no clue actually, that's a decent question.

I'd make Nowi a Bride for 10 extra levels, or a DK. Avatar wants to pass down Veteran which he already has, so just go with whatever you want- Paladin is nice for ingame, while DK/DF let you keep both your Tomes and Swords.

Physical Nah: Nowi has both +1 Str and +1 Mag, so Nah can go either way. Sage Nah is fine and used because magical Nah has a lot more pairing options, however Nah has to go physical (or get Valkyrie) if she wants to boost Spd (Hero/Assassin work well). It's pretty rare for a Sage x Sage pair to hit 75 Spd, especially since Owain and Brady aren't very fast, so I usually prefer physical (and Hero is a type-neutral pairup, so it can go on a Sage just fine).