What are the best pairings for a Hard mode playthrough with no DLCs, no random battles, no second seals, gaiden done ASA they are unlocked?

There's no perfectly optimal setup, but you could probably still stomp the game with Chrom x Avatar-F solo given that it's just Hard (add in Morgan + Lucina once you get them).

Add in limit breaker... and she hits 74/64 (def / resist) but I don't know if that would even be necessary for melee? though I suppose being practically immune to magic wouldn't hurt either...

Nightmare Sniper used Brave Bow! Morgan took 118 damage! Morgan fainted!

One does not simply tank the enemies of Apo. The only practical defensive threshold is 74 Res (Mire tinks you). Even if you add Rally Def and a General S support to that Morgan for 20 more Def (and assuming she manages to hit 66 Spd to not be doubled), you're still taking 98 damage from him.

If you're not going for Apo and want Manakete tanks though, use Nowi x Avatar, because the more the merrier.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For obvious reasons, I don't want to solo everything with Chrom+FeMU, kinda kills the reason of all self-limitations doesn't it?

Is Gregor a really good father or something? Also how come Donnel is bad for the kid's bases? I don't remember how inheritance works because I played Awakening last time a year ago.

For obvious reasons, I don't want to solo everything with Chrom+FeMU, kinda kills the reason of all self-limitations doesn't it?

Is Gregor a really good father or something? Also how come Donnel is bad for the kid's bases? I don't remember how inheritance works because I played Awakening last time a year ago.

Donnel's bad for the kid's bases because he specializes in the worst stat in the game, Luck. You'll never need more luck than what Rallies and LB give you, and the rest of his stats are really mediocre.

Not that it matters, because he's still the best husband for Sully because galeforce. Gaius works too, but Gaius also gives astra. Sully already has that, Tharja doesn't.

Donnel is unable to Second Seal out of Villager so he gets 10 fewer levels than everyone else (with Villager's bad growths and caps, nonetheless) so his stats will be below average when it comes time to pass them down, resulting in subpar child stats. They'll eventually catch up thanks to Aptitude, but it's just not worth it.

Gregor comes as a Merc with C Swords so he's a good unit to just drop into your party with little help, and he can also reach C with Nowi in one chapter, making him good for high deployment runs.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I actually don't have that dlc yet. why would the bow be particularly effective against a manakete?

It ain't the bow, sweetheart, it's the bowman.

The Nightmare Sniper is quite possibly the deadliest offensive unit in the game. It is nigh impossible to reliably survive a single round against this guy. You can swarm him, of course, since he's an archer without pass, but still, luna+ and a brave bow and his high speed is really dangerous. As far as I know, the only way to reliably tank him is for Chrom!Inigo!Morgan to 100% Pavgis him, or to stack evasion bonuses.

Ways to survive an encounter with the Nightmare Sniper with 100% success:

Have 254+ Avo (he lacks Hawkeye),

Have 100% Aegis and 66+ Spd,

Have 100% Miracle and 66+ Spd,

Have 108+ Def and 66+ Spd (or 102+ and be on the Throne), or

Don't let him fight you.

The last is obviously preferrable, though since he has 70 Spd, 70 Def and PavGis+ and Dragonskin (and Vantage+), that requires a pigpile if you're not prepared.

Playing on Casual is also an option, so you can get back all the stuff he kills.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Oh I consider Donnel a trainee like in SS, so I'll use a second seal just for him. Forgot about that, sorry.

So, I have:

ChromxFeMU

And nothing else... to whom suggested SullyxDonnel and GaiusxTharja for the skills, I don't think they matter since I'm only promoting with master seals: no reclassing, no galeforce eugenics, etc etc

Ways to survive an encounter with the Nightmare Sniper with 100% success:

Have 254+ Avo (he lacks Hawkeye),

Have 100% Aegis and 66+ Spd,

Have 100% Miracle and 66+ Spd,

Have 108+ Def and 66+ Spd (or 102+ and be on the Throne), or

Don't let him fight you.

The last is obviously preferrable, though since he has 70 Spd, 70 Def and PavGis+ and Dragonskin (and Vantage+), that requires a pigpile if you're not prepared.

Playing on Casual is also an option, so you can get back all the stuff he kills.

Wait what? Sure i have trouble with the Nightmare Sniper, but it isnt that hard to kill him? I usually just attack him with 75 pair or just swarm attack him 1range. Idk, mostly everything on Apo is easier than it looks, especially Anna. Heck, those Berserkers next to her are probobly harder lol.

Wait what? Sure i have trouble with the Nightmare Sniper, but it isnt that hard to kill him? I usually just attack him with 75 pair or just swarm attack him 1range. Idk, mostly everything on Apo is easier than it looks, especially Anna. Heck, those Berserkers next to her are probobly harder lol.

I've actually never failed to kill the nightmare sniper, even though I've never used a brave weapon in fire emblem awakening ever. It's just interesting and intimidating how utterly devastating his attacks are.

Oh I consider Donnel a trainee like in SS, so I'll use a second seal just for him. Forgot about that, sorry.

So, I have:

ChromxFeMU

And nothing else... to whom suggested SullyxDonnel and GaiusxTharja for the skills, I don't think they matter since I'm only promoting with master seals: no reclassing, no galeforce eugenics, etc etc

Don't pair Avatar and Chrom if you don't want to solo it, because they will turn it onto a solo. I'm growing to like Chrom/Sumia and Avatar/Cordelia for Hard thanks to giving six easy Galeforces by Valm.

He's mostly a problem for people who don't know about him, since he looks like any other Sniper from the map and is extremely easy to underestimate. If you're rushing and trying to kill all the Snipers at once, especially with an improperly prepared team, it's pretty easy to use up all your Tome users on the mooks to avoid their Counter, and then realize that your last possibly slow physical pairs aren't able to take NS out on their own too late to rescue all your skirmishers away. Then EP comes around and he splats someone...

Anyone who knows about him in advance usually has no trouble with him, thanks to knowing to take him down first, have a 75 Spd pair on hand, and not leave someone in his range "because he's just one enemy". People who don't check enemy stats (as in, aren't using the full view for the bottom screen) have an especially high chance of getting curbstomped.

Anna is mostly easy because her AI doesn't fit well- if she charged someone with that Brave Lance and a 1-range Counter, they'd have a pretty high chance of kicking the bucket. She also has range issues. When she's using the Spear, unless she can double or has a hurt target it's very very rare for her to get a kill.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

hrm. I googled manakete apo, and there are videos' on google of 4 manakete tanking it. he's taking 0-1 damage from the archers.

76 def, + 20 from pairing, +, +8 from rally, +2 from stat skill and +2 from def skill, would be 108 defense. 96 atk cutting my def in half would give me 54, taking 38 damage. so you could take two hits before needing heals. Add bowbreaker and aegis though, and you could take alot more. What am I missing?

Edited by emmagine

He's mostly a problem for people who don't know about him, since he looks like any other Sniper from the map and is extremely easy to underestimate. If you're rushing and trying to kill all the Snipers at once, especially with an improperly prepared team, it's pretty easy to use up all your Tome users on the mooks to avoid their Counter, and then realize that your last possibly slow physical pairs aren't able to take NS out on their own too late to rescue all your skirmishers away. Then EP comes around and he splats someone...

Anyone who knows about him in advance usually has no trouble with him, thanks to knowing to take him down first, have a 75 Spd pair on hand, and not leave someone in his range "because he's just one enemy". People who don't check enemy stats (as in, aren't using the full view for the bottom screen) have an especially high chance of getting curbstomped.

I didnt know about his stats and stuff when i first played Apo, i've just heard of him and i still stomped him. Idk, maybe im just good at FE or something.

Usually i put all my units that can take on the group of enemies right next to them, outside of their attacking range. Then on the next turn, i charge in with Galeforce and keep track of my staffbots so i can be ready to rescue them away, or if i can kill them all in one turn, i go for it and use my staffbots to position me to another group of enemies or heal.

You're counting Rally twice. General gives +10, all Rallies give another +10. And don't forget that you might need to sacrifice some Def to reach 66 Spd.

There are also other Snipers that don't have Luna+ (most likely the Longbow ones in Normal Apo, those things are nice to have high Def for). The video you saw was probably showing those.

hrm. I googled manakete apo, and there are videos' on google of 4 manakete tanking it. he's taking 0-1 damage from the archers.

76 def, + 20 from pairing, +, +8 from rally, +2 from stat skill and +2 from def skill, would be 108 defense. 96 atk cutting my def in half would give me 54, taking 38 damage. so you could take two hits before needing heals. Add pavise and aegis though, and you could take alot more. What am I missing?

Do you have 66 speed?

Gregor is also the only father to give Armsthrift without a Second Seal.

I realized that my Yarne x Noire pair can have 100% DS if I change Yarne to an Assassin and give one of them Skill +2 (both have AS +2). Yarne takes a +2 Skill father, freeing up Stahl for Inigo.

If Noire has Skill +2:

Yarne takes Fred, who is not in high demand. However, Yarne does not get Bowfaire and Noire has to drop either her Bowfaire or Vengeance to make room.

If Yarne has Skill +2:

He needs Virion. Severa takes Lon'qu instead, losing her Sniper options, but she doesn't mind as a Wyvern Lord. Brady is now stuck with Kellam, so he loses his 75 Speed.

Is either of these options worth it? I'm leaning toward the second one.

I will do that. Thanks. I think my team is complete now, besides figuring out classes for Donnel!Kjelle x Stahl!Inigo. I was thinking Hero x Paladin maybe, or even Hero x Hero with Kjelle taking my extra Boots. There's also Assassin for Inigo since he has Bowfaire but the Speed isn't really necessary except to hit 75. I really don't know, there are too many options! What should I do?

Edit: Also, should Kjelle go with AS+2 or Astra?

Edited by isetrh

I will do that. Thanks. I think my team is complete now, besides figuring out classes for Donnel!Kjelle x Stahl!Inigo. I was thinking Hero x Paladin maybe, or even Hero x Hero with Kjelle taking my extra Boots. There's also Assassin for Inigo since he has Bowfaire but the Speed isn't really necessary except to hit 75. I really don't know, there are too many options!

That pair looks like it can hit 100%DS and 75 speed if u have LB, All+2, and Rally Heart. For my Morgan x Inigo, i did Hero Morgan x Sniper Inigo, although Kjelle cant get 75 speed because Sniper gives none, but my Morgan is so fast she hits 75 speed regardless. So in this case, go with Assassin/Hero Kjelle x Hero/Assassin Inigo, i dont think it matters who gets what. Paladin has too low skill to hit 100% DS i think.

EDIT: I think with All+2 and Rally Heart, Assassin Kjelle can probobly reach 75 speed paired with Sniper Inigo.

Edited by Waifu Severa

I do have the DLC. Let me do some calculations on 100% DS.

61 (Sniper Inigo) +60 (Assaasin Kjelle) +20 (Rallies) +4 (AS+2) +2 (Skill +2 on Inigo) +4 (Tonics) +8 (Assassin pair-up) =159 :/

I guess Kjelle could take Defender. The 100% DS still only works when Kjelle is in front.

Kjelle @ Assassin

LB/GF/Luna/AS+2/Defender

Inigo @ Sniper

LB/GF/Aggressor/AS+2/Skill+2

So it works, but only on Kjelle, neither has room for a faire, and Inigo doesn't have room for a proc.

I do have the DLC. Let me do some calculations on 100% DS.

61 (Sniper Inigo) +60 (Assaasin Kjelle) +20 (Rallies) +4 (AS+2) +2 (Skill +2 on Inigo) +4 (Tonics) +8 (Assassin pair-up) =159 :/

I guess Kjelle could take Defender. The 100% DS still only works when Kjelle is in front.

Kjelle @ Assassin

LB/GF/Luna/AS+2/Defender

Inigo @ Sniper

LB/GF/Aggressor/AS+2/Skill+2

So it works, but only on Kjelle, neither has room for a faire, and Inigo doesn't have room for a proc.

Thats the same problem i have with my Noire x Gerome, they are like 1-2 skill points away from 100%DS with the DLC. But yeah, it doesnt seem like going through the trouble just to get 1-2% extra DS chance in exchange for all that power. Btw, assassin gives 7 skill from pair up, not 8, unless u meant snipers.

As for their classes, i'd keep Inigo a Sniper since he's amazing with it, and i'd use Kjelle as either a Hero or Assassin(Hero preferably if she can get 75 speed with it).

Edited by Waifu Severa

Thats the same problem i have with my Noire x Gerome, they are like 1-2 skill points away from 100%DS with the DLC. But yeah, it doesnt seem like going through the trouble just to get 1-2% extra DS chance in exchange for all that power. Btw, assassin gives 7 skill from pair up, not 8. As for their classes, i'd keep Inigo a Sniper since he's amazing with it, and i'd use Kjelle as either a Hero or Assassin(Hero preferably if she can get 75 speed with it).

Kjelle can't get 75 Speed as a Hero, but I'm not sure she needs to since she's not a Sniper and I already have Severa, Morgan, Noire, and Sumia for 75 Speed. Inigo can't get 75 Speed unless Kjelle is an Assassin and he has AS+2 though.

That's a shame about Noire x Gerome.

Edited by isetrh

Kjelle can't get 75 Speed as a Hero, but I'm not sure she needs to since she's not a Sniper and I already have Severa, Morgan, Noire, and Sumia for 75 Speed. Inigo can't get 75 Speed unless Kjelle is an Assassin and he has AS+2 though.

That's a shame about Noire x Gerome.

Ah, Then maybe u should make her an Assassin and have Inigo with All+2, because 75 speed Snipers are really amazing. Dont do this if u already have another 75 speed Sniper tho.