I initially made it using Sage + Barracks for a no DLC/Rally method of clearing out the Sages on Wave 4, actually (no Sorcs), but the requirements for setting it up were just too ridiculous (perfect 1HP Vengeance, 5 use Streetpass only weapon, double perfect Barracks) so I dropped it. Then AC came around with his no DLC/Rally run and I brought it up because he was actually going to do that and Avatar/Lucina VV doesn't work with so little Skl. He wound up using a more offensive version of it with Nah and I think Laurent (no Vantage and imperfect crit) and while he was doing that I took another look at it and realized that with Sorc+Rally I could leave off the Barracks, rare weapon and a good deal of Vengeance precision, so that set is now a thing.

I haven't actually built it, though. VV is something I question the practicality of, though it does have its uses. My main problem with it is actually that when you're strong enough to pull it off (100% DS required), there are a ton of other more efficient options, while when the mooks it's meant to clear out are strong enough to be troublesome to the rest of your team, VV doesn't work anymore. So this was almost like an attempt to get VV to work in an environment where it's both helpful and neither redundant nor obsoleting the rest of your team.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I initially made it using Sage + Barracks for a no DLC/Rally method of clearing out the Sages on Wave 4, actually (no Sorcs), but the requirements for setting it up were just too ridiculous (perfect 1HP Vengeance, 5 use Streetpass only weapon, double perfect Barracks) so I dropped it. Then AC came around with his no DLC/Rally run and I brought it up because he was actually going to do that and Avatar/Lucina VV doesn't work with so little Skl. He wound up using a more offensive version of it with Nah and I think Laurent (no Vantage and imperfect crit) and while he was doing that I took another look at it and realized that with Sorc+Rally I could leave off the Barracks, rare weapon and a good deal of Vengeance precision, so that set is now a thing.

I haven't actually built it, though. VV is something I question the practicality of, though it does have its uses. My main problem with it is actually that when you're strong enough to pull it off (100% DS required), there are a ton of other more efficient options, while when the mooks it's meant to clear out are strong enough to be troublesome to the rest of your team, VV doesn't work anymore. So this was almost like an attempt to get VV to work in an environment where it's both helpful and neither redundant nor obsoleting the rest of your team.

So it wasn't entirely your idea... I see. Either way, I share the grievances about VV.

Technically, it's based off of VV which is definitely not my idea. But if I were to have any need to officially credit AC with anything, it would be bringing the set back on my radar so I could make something slightly useful with it (I don't even remember if his Laurent was a Ruin Sorc or a Katarina's Sage).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Technically, it's based off of VV which is definitely not my idea. But if I were to have any need to officially credit AC with anything, it would be bringing the set back on my radar so I could make something slightly useful with it (I don't even remember if his Laurent was a Ruin Sorc or a Katarina's Sage).

Okay then. Also, I didn't mention it earlier, but my issue with Wilderwind for this is that aside from the whole 5 uses crap, it's also saddled with a pretty low Mt (if I want max crit, I'm stuck with only a 5 mt weapon).

Edited by Levant Caprice

It's actually high enough to still get every non-Aegis+ 55 Lck KO with a Barracks boost in Mag (hitrates were actually a bigger problem, thanks to the lack of LB/Rally), so the low mt wasn't an insurmountable problem.

For casual use though, yeah, it's bad.

Interesting fact: there's also a Miniature Lance that has 1-2 range and a forgeable 35 crit, so the same thing is theoretically possible on a physical unit to get through Aegis+ (there are no 55 Lck mooks with both of PavGis in all of S.Apo). I didn't look into it too much because enemy Def is higher in general, though (and M.Lance has 55 hit, which is completely unusable in this context).

If I were to do that... I'd need another Myrm/DM/Barb/Mage boy, this time also with a good lead class (preferably General). Unfortunately, I've been all over the pairing possibilities and the only way to set both of these up at the same time is to use Chrom x Avatar, have Lucina be Laurent's support for the magical pair and have Avatar be Morgan's support for the physical pair. Still... Maybe.

I think I'll actually look more at this one tomorrow.

It's actually high enough to still get every non-Aegis+ 55 Lck KO with a Barracks boost in Mag (hitrates were actually a bigger problem, thanks to the lack of LB/Rally), so the low mt wasn't an insurmountable problem.

For casual use though, yeah, it's bad.

Interesting fact: there's also a Miniature Lance that has 1-2 range and a forgeable 35 crit, so the same thing is theoretically possible on a physical unit to get through Aegis+ (there are no 55 Lck mooks with both of PavGis in all of S.Apo). I didn't look into it too much because enemy Def is higher in general, though (and M.Lance has 55 hit, which is completely unusable in this context).

If I were to do that... I'd need another Myrm/DM/Barb/Mage boy, this time also with a good lead class (preferably General). Unfortunately, I've been all over the pairing possibilities and the only way to set both of these up at the same time is to use Chrom x Avatar, have Lucina be Laurent's support for the magical pair and have Avatar be Morgan's support for the physical pair. Still... Maybe.

I think I'll actually look more at this one tomorrow.

You gotta admit, when you need a Barracks boost to make it work out...I wouldn't exactly consider that a good thing.

Hey, I'm playing Lunatic on Casual, and I want to know what I should do with these two pairings. I haven't actually paired anyone up yet though, so yeah. Basically these two are what I'm planning to pair up, and I just don't know how I would use them. Here.

Male Avatar (I don't remember the +Stat and -Stat for sure, but I think it was +Magic and -Strength.)x Aversa. Not exactly who I would chose to marry flavor wise, but I really want Morgan to have Shadowgift.

Miriel x Ricken. I want to try to have Laurnet to have a crazy ridiculously high Magic Stat, and I heard that pairing with Ricken is the best way to go for a high Magic Stat.

Also, in my opinion, this is sort of random, but I think Skills mean nothing if you don't have the Stats to back them up. I mean, what if you had the best Skill set possible, but only had like 20 in each stat or something fully promoted and at max level (and maybe with Limit Breaker)?

Hey, I'm playing Lunatic on Casual, and I want to know what I should do with these two pairings. I haven't actually paired anyone up yet though, so yeah. Basically these two are what I'm planning to pair up, and I just don't know how I would use them. Here.

Male Avatar (I don't remember the +Stat and -Stat for sure, but I think it was +Magic and -Strength.)x Aversa. Not exactly who I would chose to marry flavor wise, but I really want Morgan to have Shadowgift.

Miriel x Ricken. I want to try to have Laurnet to have a crazy ridiculously high Magic Stat, and I heard that pairing with Ricken is the best way to go for a high Magic Stat.

Also, in my opinion, this is sort of random, but I think Skills mean nothing if you don't have the Stats to back them up. I mean, what if you had the best Skill set possible, but only had like 20 in each stat or something fully promoted and at max level (and maybe with Limit Breaker)?

The thing to keep in mind about MirielxRicken is that it's only one magic point higher than the other male mages (Henry and Libra), and Ricken is useful elsewhere. He's the only mage who offers Luna, so if you want a magical Owain who doesn't use vengeance, Ricken's your only option.

Also, regarding the last paragraph, that's literally IMPOSSIBLE. In that case, yes, stats would be more important, but the difference in skills often makes a much bigger difference to a unit's effectiveness than stats do, because the difference in stats is never anywhere near that ridiculously huge. That's why the only children that great stats bad skills parents are suggested for are the ones that already have all of their bases covered.

Edited by Alastor15243

This is true if you're talking about the main game. For example, Olivia!Lucina is definitely solid for Apotheosis and other postgame stuff, but absolutely garbage in the main game compared to Avatar!Lucina or Sumia!Lucina. Olivia will pass complete garbage base stats & skills to Lucina without obscene grinding.

In terms of endgame (apotheosis), this stats amongst pairings are almost a non-factor. Even if you stack negative class modifiers as much as possible, you'll just end up with like -3 or -4 in a stat, which is nothing big and can be compensated with solid class selection and pairings. Similarly, stacking positive modifiers only yields a minute bonus, such as Vaike!Gerome. He was hyped up early on in Awakening's metagame due to +7 Strength modifier, but has since fallen completely out of favour due to lack of any significant new skills and basically only being able to run a mediocre Berserker support.

An exception includes Lon'qu!Severa (vaulted for high Skl&Spd for easy 100% DS and 75 Speed to double everything in the game), in which Lon'qu doesn't offer that much class-wise but grants amazing mods.

In general though, skill & class distribution is definitely more important than stats.

This is true if you're talking about the main game. For example, Olivia!Lucina is definitely solid for Apotheosis and other postgame stuff, but absolutely garbage in the main game compared to Avatar!Lucina or Sumia!Lucina. Olivia will pass complete garbage base stats & skills to Lucina without obscene grinding.

In terms of endgame (apotheosis), this stats amongst pairings are almost a non-factor. Even if you stack negative class modifiers as much as possible, you'll just end up with like -3 or -4 in a stat, which is nothing big and can be compensated with solid class selection and pairings. Similarly, stacking positive modifiers only yields a minute bonus, such as Vaike!Gerome. He was hyped up early on in Awakening's metagame due to +7 Strength modifier, but has since fallen completely out of favour due to lack of any significant new skills and basically only being able to run a mediocre Berserker support.

An exception includes Lon'qu!Severa (vaulted for high Skl&Spd for easy 100% DS and 75 Speed to double everything in the game), in which Lon'qu doesn't offer that much class-wise but grants amazing mods.

In general though, skill & class distribution is definitely more important than stats.

To that end, what's the best Gerome nowadays?

Are you caring about ingame or postgame?

Because ingame, you can't get Aversa so your Shadowgift Morgan will be useless by virtue of not existing. But in postgame, your Laurent's high Mag growth will mean nothing and you'll just wind up with 1-3 Mag more than most other Laurents at the cost of some good skills.

A user here called Airship_Canon beat S.Apo using only base classes (no specials like Manakete/Dread Fighter), so I'd say low stats can definitely be worked around. I mean, if you Rally a pair and put Agg on the back, you're getting +100 damage out of six hits alone from those skills, +200 if you're doubling. Add a Faire to both units and it's +130/260. I'd like to see plain old stats do that.

Lon'qu gives Severa Wyvern Lord and Assassin as final classes, Lancebreaker/Swordfaire/Avo+10 as good postgame skills and Deliverer/Vantage/Lucky 7/Swordbreaker/Mov+1 as good ingame skills. I'd say his class set compliments her quite well.

To that end, what's the best Gerome nowadays?

Henry!Gerome has Hex/Anathema to use as +Hit skills for Berserker, while Stahl/Virion!Gerome make nice Bowfaire/Hit+20 Warriors (who conveniently get Lon'qu!Severa@Hero to 75 Spd on the dot). On higher level challenge runs, Vaike!Gerome sees a bit of his old purpose return due to having room to bring massive piles of Breakers for more Hit (technically any Gerome can do this, but now Hit isn't an obstacle to his Str, which also begins to matter). The only reason I'd even consider Gregor!Gerome anymore is because he's Gerome's lowest demand father.

Overall, it depends on the situation. In a vacuum I'd put Stahl as the best, but Yarne has first dibs on Stahl if he wants him.

Overall, it depends on the situation. In a vacuum I'd put Stahl as the best, but Yarne has first dibs on Stahl if he wants him.

I'd say one gets Stahl, the other gets Henry. They both love +Hit.

Lon'qu gives Severa Wyvern Lord and Assassin as final classes, Lancebreaker/Swordfaire/Avo+10 as good postgame skills and Deliverer/Vantage/Lucky 7/Swordbreaker/Mov+1 as good ingame skills. I'd say his class set compliments her quite well.

That's true, but without those insane speed values, she misses out 75 Speed with Berserker support as Wyvern Lord, which is her main niche in that role. I just think that the pairing would be a lot less exceptional if she didn't have the Speed & Skill she does, but it's still definitely solid.

Out of curiosity, what is Avo+10 good for? Avoid-stacking build with -breakers? I honestly have no clue how effective a build like that would be, presumably she would have to run a high-speed class like Assassin.

I'd say one gets Stahl, the other gets Henry. They both love +Hit.

Virion is another option here for Archer access, arguably better than Henry since Archer access also grants them 100% DS options. Ricken is another more-gimmicky option, but he's there if you really want 100% DS at the cost of clashing mods.

Ricken!Gerome is not good for 100% DS (he's got a Skl mod of 0). I'm using him because I need something to do with my +8 Skl Morgan, but even as a Sniper he's pretty underwhelming for that purpose.

Makes a great hard support Sage, though.

Avo+10 is for dodgetanking builds on challenge runs when you can't hit 66 Spd but need to take a round of combat with Anna to get her off the Throne so you can get rid of her safely. Lon'qu!Severa is one of the game's premier dodgetanks (only Morgan and Fred!Inigo compare) thanks to her large compliment of +Avo skills.

Avo+10 is for dodgetanking builds on challenge runs when you can't hit 66 Spd but need to take a round of combat with Anna to get her off the Throne so you can get rid of her safely. Lon'qu!Severa is one of the game's premier dodgetanks (only Morgan and Fred!Inigo compare) thanks to her large compliment of +Avo skills.

I forget, what makes Fred!Inigo such a good dodgetank?

Presumably having access to all weapon breakers (Hero for Axebreaker, Wyvern for Swordbreaker & Lancebreaker) and Myrm for Avo+10? Speed mod isn't great but I suppose he can make do with Assassin.

Ricken!Gerome is not good for 100% DS (he's got a Skl mod of 0). I'm using him because I need something to do with my +8 Skl Morgan, but even as a Sniper he's pretty underwhelming for that purpose.

Makes a great hard support Sage, though.

Maybe I'm misremembering something, but support Sage is definitely something you can do. I remember reading somewhere that they used Ricken!Gerome to shore up those final few Skill stats required for a full 100% DS team, it might have been someone else.

As a support Sage, he's basically Laurent-lite (lacking Anathema & Hex but having Hit+20 alone helps, especially since Hex won't be active a lot), but Magic is great so that's not necessarily a bad thing I guess.

Edited by burgerkong

Presumably having access to all weapon breakers (Hero for Axebreaker, Wyvern for Swordbreaker & Lancebreaker) and Myrm for Avo+10? Speed mod isn't great but I suppose he can make do with Assassin.

He also has outdoor and indoor fighter I just remembered, and patience, so that's a set of four +10 avoid skills for either indoor or outdoor maps.

Edited by Alastor15243

Hello people of serenes. I decided to restart my lunatic run since I really disliked how some of my units turned out to be (mainly my draco lon'qu who was the epitome of uselesness).

I post this to get some help with the pairings. I have some pairings I'd really like to not change. This is mainly for ingame(story) but I plan on grinding post game so hopefully none of the

pairings are completely garbo. It's gonna be standard lunatic aaaand well here I go:

I plan on using like 10 first gen characters and have the rest fairly untrained(for postgame) so hopefully we can match the ingame characters together. One thing I've been doing is keeping

sumia and fred paired up until A for the early game and then making them switch pairings since cynthia doenst like fred as a father which leaves fred fairly lonely for a pair.

Also one thing which I'm not sure about is: how good is sully in lunatic?

Will probably use:

FeMu x Chrom (Lets turn it into easy mode)

Panne x Stahl (Love these supports)

Sumia x Henry (Not sure how viable it is to train sumia into a dark peg and then just have her be supported by henry starting chapt 12)

Cordelia x Lon'qu (I'm not sure what to pair with cordelia. This pair will not have much damage so I'm not sure if this is good)(Draco Lon'qu was horrible for me so dont think ill do that)

Nowi x I was thinking of just slapping Vaike here. Honestly I got little idea who to pair with her (I refuse to use gregor/Lonqu I'm sorry for making this hard ;_; Plan is to get him to lvl 10 and insta promote to hero)

Sully x Don't think I'll train her since I dont know how good sully is in lunatic so I'm was considering just a post game pair with donnel

Cherche x Gregor Not sure how good these guys are together or if I'm gonna train them but yea I slapped them together

Olivia x Frederick I was thinking of where fred should go if her and sumia break up after henry's arrival and I was thinking he could just ferry olivia around

edit: also forgot to add that I won't grind until I complete story

Tharja x ?????? Prolly wont use tharja but please dont say ricken

Lissa x Libra is what I'm thinking just to have a powerful healer for when there is space in da party

Maribelle x ??? Virion I suppose?

Miriel x no idea maybe rickent. I dislike miriel/laurent so this pairing has the least priority.

Edited by Hammerne

Thinking about 2 ways to pair my MaleAvatar in the endgame

Nowi!MaleAvatar or kellam!Nowi-> nah!MaleAvatar?

What would be better Having 2 good manaket or 1 god manaket and which Skillset would fit perfect?

Edited by Blitze

Manaketes aren't very useful for postgame stuff due to the lack of brave weapons. Male Avatar would rather marry someone with Galeforce like Sumia or Cordelia if you want to marry 1st Gen, or basically any other 2nd-gen girl besides Nah if you want to go 2nd-gen.

Hello people of serenes. I decided to restart my lunatic run since I really disliked how some of my units turned out to be (mainly my draco lon'qu who was the epitome of uselesness).

I post this to get some help with the pairings. I have some pairings I'd really like to not change. This is mainly for ingame(story) but I plan on grinding post game so hopefully none of the

pairings are completely garbo. It's gonna be standard lunatic aaaand well here I go:

I plan on using like 10 first gen characters and have the rest fairly untrained(for postgame) so hopefully we can match the ingame characters together. One thing I've been doing is keeping

sumia and fred paired up until A for the early game and then making them switch pairings since cynthia doenst like fred as a father which leaves fred fairly lonely for a pair.

Also one thing which I'm not sure about is: how good is sully in lunatic?

Will probably use:

FeMu x Chrom (Lets turn it into easy mode) in-game, yes. Postgame, there are lots of better options. My personal favorite parent for a male morgan is Lon'qu!Yarne.

Panne x Stahl (Love these supports) This one is excellent. Makes an absolutely deadly Hit+20 berserker support unit.

Sumia x Henry (Not sure how viable it is to train sumia into a dark peg and then just have her be supported by henry starting chapt 12) I greatly prefer Chrom!Cynthia, but Henry's the next best option (imho he's not nearly as good as Chrom though)

Cordelia x Lon'qu (I'm not sure what to pair with cordelia. This pair will not have much damage so I'm not sure if this is good)(Draco Lon'qu was horrible for me so dont think ill do that) I've heard great things about this, especially as a wyvern lord.

Nowi x I was thinking of just slapping Vaike here. Honestly I got little idea who to pair with her (I refuse to use gregor/Lonqu I'm sorry for making this hard ;_; Plan is to get him to lvl 10 and insta promote to hero) Vaike!Nah's pretty good.

Sully x Don't think I'll train her since I dont know how good sully is in lunatic so I'm was considering just a post game pair with donnel Donnel's generally considered the standard option for her. People argue that Gaius is better if you don't care about Noire though.

Cherche x Gregor Not sure how good these guys are together or if I'm gonna train them but yea I slapped them together I've heard this is... decent. It's a stable one, does a decent job with a relatively low demand father.

Olivia x Frederick I was thinking of where fred should go if her and sumia break up after henry's arrival and I was thinking he could just ferry olivia around This one's great. Probably the best way to have Frederick be a father.

edit: also forgot to add that I won't grind until I complete story

Tharja x ?????? Prolly wont use tharja but please dont say ricken Nobody ever suggests Ricken as a father for Noire, ever. Gaius is generally the recommended option.

Lissa x Libra is what I'm thinking just to have a powerful healer for when there is space in da party This one's okay, though if you're going for a vengeance Owain, I'd say Henry's slightly better.

Maribelle x ??? Virion I suppose? Decent, Brady doesn't really need much, and Virion gives him the few things he needs, particularly good speed and skill mods.

Miriel x no idea maybe rickent. I dislike miriel/laurent so this pairing has the least priority. Laurent's job is mind-blowingly simple unless you're trying to make him do VV. Give him literally any father you have left with a positive magic mod.

Edited by Alastor15243

I'm trying to do my very first Lunatic run, but I can't decide on what would be "good" pairings- any suggestions? I've definately decided I would pair ChromxSumia, and TharjaxGaius. Aside from that I have NO idea who to pair up with who- especially since I'm planning to use a MaMU.

The Lunatic Club

He's got like every single non-time based +Avo skill in the game and Assassin to put them on.

Spd mods actually don't make much of a difference for dodgetanks- the +6 Spd Lon'qu!Severa has over Fred!Inigo only amounts to an extra 9 Avo. That's not even as much as Outdoor Fighter.

Maybe I'm misremembering something, but support Sage is definitely something you can do. I remember reading somewhere that they used Ricken!Gerome to shore up those final few Skill stats required for a full 100% DS team, it might have been someone else.

As a support Sage, he's basically Laurent-lite (lacking Anathema & Hex but having Hit+20 alone helps, especially since Hex won't be active a lot), but Magic is great so that's not necessarily a bad thing I guess.

That was me and I put Ricken!Gerome there because Gerome and Owain are the two garbage boys for DS, Lucina gets one and Morgan gets the other, and I happen to prefer Lucina x Owain to Lucina x Gerome.

Ricken!Gerome also has +3 Str and Bowfaire Warrior. Since my Morgan can go either physical or magical (+2/1 Str/Mag), I wanted her husband to be able to cleanly switch between physical and magical when not in 100% DS mode.

If you're going to grind everyone up after the story anyway, consider taking fewer pairs through (some of those pairs, while good postgame, are really not conducive to ingame play).

What I'd advise is relegating Sumia to flying Staffbot duty as soon as Fred's DSes become useless, and dropping Cherche and Olivia (and their husbands). Panne, Cordelia and Nowi are all great in Lunatic, but Lon'qu is a little lackluster and Stahl and Vaike come at a time when it's very difficult to get new recruits started. You may want to consider giving Nowi an A Gregor support to get her started and dropping either Panne or Cordelia as well (the husband of the one that stays in should be raised, though).

Thinking about 2 ways to pair my MaleAvatar in the endgame

Nowi!MaleAvatar or kellam!Nowi-> nah!MaleAvatar?

What would be better Having 2 good manaket or 1 god manaket and which Skillset would fit perfect?

A good Manakete? Where?

If you're going to use Manakete Morgan, the least harmful to the rest of your team way to get her is Donnel!Nah!Morgan, with Gaius!Kjelle and a non-GF Noire. If you want Morgan to be as good as possible, use Gaius!Nah!Morgan, Donnel!Kjelle and a non-GF Noire. If you're not running a full team or don't care about your Avatar, Nowi!Morgan will work best.

I'm trying to do my very first Lunatic run, but I can't decide on what would be "good" pairings- any suggestions? I've definately decided I would pair ChromxSumia, and TharjaxGaius. Aside from that I have NO idea who to pair up with who- especially since I'm planning to use a MaMU.

My preferred Lunatic pairings are Chrom x Sumia and Avatar x Cordelia/Nowi. If you want to bring along another pair, it should involve Panne, Cordelia or Nowi.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi