Although I wouldn't recommend it, Trickster is also an option for +SPD/+MAG, according to the pair-up bonuses data on this site.

Its bonuses are similar to a grandmaster, except that it doesn't give strength, gives more speed, less skill, and it gives move.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Alright this is what I've got so far.

Classes and parents

Sumia!Lucina Sniper

Ricken!Owain Sage
Libra!Inigo Dread Fighter
Lon'qu!Brady Sage
Gaius!Kjelle Dark Flier
Chrom!Cynthia Sniper
Virion!Severa Bow Knight
Stahl!Gerome Warrior
Lucina!Morgan Sniper
Henry!Yarne Berserker
Gregor!Laurent Sage
Donnel!Noire Falcon Knight
Vaike!Nah Hero

Pairings

LucinaXAvatar
OwainXNah
InigoXKjelle
BradyXNoire
GeromeXSevera
YarneXMorgan
LaurentXCynthia

Also, should I bother getting Galeforce on Owain, Brady, and Inigo?
Edited by zerosabers

Yeah there are five Shadowgift Dark Fliers with Mire in wave 4 (74 Atk). Annoying to approach safely without either a Restank or enough Rescue to get 5 KOes worth of Galepairs to cover 20 spaces and reach them. You can try pulling them but their range tends to overlap with some dangerous Berserkers that you won't want to wait to dispatch as it's a timed map and your team will already be very spread out.

Yarne can KO Anna and everything else, and even be your MVP if you just let him out of Taguel. He's got the best physical modifiers out of any child bar his own Morgan and a perfect class set with Virion or Stahl as a father.

Hmm...sounds annoying.. (Reading the enemy data now) I see they all carry Hawkeye...great. I'll have to make counters to every group somehow, so they should somewhat be able to handle them on their own.

Haha, I just noticed it seems like I'm really fond of Yarne, but don't misunderstand, I'm fond of Taguels. I have Yarne as a zerker on my optimized save (which I could probably finish Apo on right now, but I want to do it with a team I actually like), but it just feels strange to me, not to mention the zerker model looks terrible.

I think I'm just gonna start the new savefile right away while having Avatar as Severa's father in mind. I can make edits to the fathers along the way since Chrom is the only one that's forced on you. And the more I think about it, the less I want to be Sumia's hubby as she keeps wanting to show her goodies to Chrom. Needy women aren't attractive, that's why I'm not gonna give him to her either. :Lyon:

LQ!Severa+Yarne was only missing 1 Skill from having 100% DS as well, so I'm gonna go +Skill -Def to get it to 100%. Looking at my pairings though, who would you recommend pairing the children with?

I'm already considering Cynthia+Brady/Owain. Laurent and Noire as well, as they're both kinda semi-leads right now. Most importantly though, who gets Lucina??? I'd hand her over to Owain, but no AT means no reliable Ragnell...

EDIT: Shit...now, I'm consider FeMU as I want to use Morgan. WHY AM I SO INDECISIVE...

Edited by Mezzo

Hmm...sounds annoying.. (Reading the enemy data now) I see they all carry Hawkeye...great. I'll have to make counters to every group somehow, so they should somewhat be able to handle them on their own.

They're a pretty good reason to pack lots of Staffbots, certainly. You could also pack Res+10 on a 40 base Res unit with a +Res support to make them tink, but you'd still have to catch them and spend a few turns taking them out.

Child pairings: complementary class bonuses and standard stuff. Lucina goes to any Galeboy. Ragnell isn't very good in Apo due to not being Brave so not having it on Owain won't matter. Avatar-F doesn't have any different effects on the pairing imbalance than Avatar-M- you'll still have a round number of pairs if you marry 2nd gen and get one child left out if you marry 1st gen.

Alright this is what I've got so far.

Classes and parents

Sumia!Lucina Sniper

Ricken!Owain Sage
Libra!Inigo Dread Fighter
Lon'qu!Brady Sage
Gaius!Kjelle Dark Flier
Chrom!Cynthia Sniper
Virion!Severa Bow Knight
Stahl!Gerome Warrior
Lucina!Morgan Sniper
Henry!Yarne Berserker
Gregor!Laurent Sage
Donnel!Noire Falcon Knight
Vaike!Nah Hero

Pairings

LucinaXAvatar
OwainXNah
InigoXKjelle
BradyXNoire
GeromeXSevera
YarneXMorgan
LaurentXCynthia

Also, should I bother getting Galeforce on Owain, Brady, and Inigo?

That Severa notably won't 75 Spd (2 short) which is kind of a shame on a fast unit like her and Brady's damage output when leading will be pretty bad due to no +Mag support and Falco's weak non-Agg DSes. GF is definitely mandatory for postgame; ingame only it's worth it on Inigo but not on the other two.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

They're a pretty good reason to pack lots of Staffbots, certainly. You could also pack Res+10 on a 40 base Res unit with a +Res support to make them tink, but you'd still have to catch them and spend a few turns taking them out.

Child pairings: complementary class bonuses and standard stuff. Lucina goes to any Galeboy. Ragnell isn't very good in Apo due to not being Brave so not having it on Owain won't matter. Avatar-F doesn't have any different effects on the pairing imbalance than Avatar-M- you'll still have a round number of pairs if you marry 2nd gen and get one child left out if you marry 1st gen.

Hmm.. Does Aegis work against Mire? I can't remember.. Inigo could run Aegis+Res+10 or just RK+Aegis.

@Owain: For some reason, I forgot that Assassins could use Brave Bows.

And if I were to use FeMU, regardless of who I marry, I would be using Morgan..that's the biggest difference, and a pretty huge one if you ask me. Either way, I already started the save and I chose the male Avatar, so that's neither here nor there :^_^:

Yes, Aegis works against Mire, although I wouldn't recommend gambling on it working.

How I dealt with it was using a staff-user to advance, Rescued another staff user (8 movement classes would be ideal), had them advance, rescued another staff user, had that staff user rescue a Double-Galeforce pair into range, had that pair kill three of the Dark Fliers, then used three more staff users to rescue both of the previous staff users and the Double-Galeforce pair.

Thus, no one ended the turn in the enemy's range.

Then I did something similar the next turn to kill the other two Dark Fliers.

Although its a timed round, the 10 or so rounds that you get is MORE than enough; I actually finished with about half of my time remaining.

That Severa notably won't 75 Spd (2 short) which is kind of a shame on a fast unit like her and Brady's damage output when leading will be pretty bad due to no +Mag support and Falco's weak non-Agg DSes. GF is definitely mandatory for postgame; ingame only it's worth it on Inigo but not on the other two.

Are you counting LB in that Severa Speed stat? I don't have access to LB so I can't use it. Also, would switching Falco for Dark Flier help Brady more?

The overwhelming amount of talk about 75 speed assumes Limit Breaker; you can subtract off 10 without it.

If you're looking into beating Apotheosis without using the DLC, you might look into things like the Vantage+Vengeance strategy.

My current Hard mode playthrough is just about finished, so I'm deciding whether or not I want to start a new Lunatic playthrough. If I do, it would be with an eye towards postgame and DLC. I could really use some help with 1st gen pairings, because the pairings I made this past game were from some guide on GameFAQs that is like a year and a half old. I plan on making a female Avatar this go round, but I'm not sure about what asset and flaw to pick. For an asset I'm leaning towards either +MAG or +SPD, and for a flaw I'm undecided between -SKL or -DEF.

My priorities are a really good Lucina and Morgan, and to get as many children with Galeforce and/or Dark Magic as possible. My least favorite kid is Yarne, so Panne's pairing can be saved for last, and I don't particularly care for Nah either.

2nd gen characters I like:

Lucina

Morgan

Inigo

Cynthia

Severa

Owain

Brady

Kjelle

Neutral:

Noire

Gerome

Nah

Dislike:

Yarne

I have a rough idea of what I want, but really get lost with all the combinations of caps and growths and classes and skills. I could also use some assistance with 2nd gen pairings, as last time I just paired up the kids I liked best with each other with no regard towards combat. This would also be my first foray into Lunatic, so there's that too.

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Are you counting LB in that Severa Speed stat? I don't have access to LB so I can't use it. Also, would switching Falco for Dark Flier help Brady more?

Yes I am.

Brady certainly would do better KO wise with a DF, yes.

If you're looking into beating Apotheosis without using the DLC, you might look into things like the Vantage+Vengeance strategy.

VV is still bogus even without DLC. DSt+, which is required for it to work well, still assumes 120 Skl total, which even with Rallies is not instantly guaranteed on a Mag/Mag pair. Additionally with the loss of Atk from LB, you need much tighter Vengeance thresholds for it to do its job, requiring in-depth setups that just aren't worth it. For comparison, the first person to officially clear Apo without LB basically did it how it's done now (Rescuebombing with GF/Procs/Faires) as opposed to the old strats.

My current Hard mode playthrough is just about finished, so I'm deciding whether or not I want to start a new Lunatic playthrough. If I do, it would be with an eye towards postgame and DLC. I could really use some help with 1st gen pairings, because the pairings I made this past game were from some guide on GameFAQs that is like a year and a half old. I plan on making a female Avatar this go round, but I'm not sure about what asset and flaw to pick. For an asset I'm leaning towards either +MAG or +SPD, and for a flaw I'm undecided between -SKL or -DEF.

Both +Mag and+Spd are good for both ingame and postgame. -Def is much better than -Skl postgame, and -Skl is much better than -Def ingame so you'll just have to prioritize there. Also don't try to raise a full team ingame, Lunatic won't let you. Just stick with 2-3 pairs at most there.

Chrom!Cynthia is the absolute uncontested best Cynthia. Unfortunately Morgan-F generally outdoes Morgan-M (especially if inheriting Aether) so you're not going to get him to be as good as possible, but making Ricken!Owain (either asset) or Lon'qu!Yarne (+Spd only) his father will work very nicely anyway.

In regards to the rest of your top pairings, Severa gets top pick of Virion, Lon'qu and Vaike, and Kjelle gets Gaius for sure. Owain doesn't particularly care and will be happy with any magical father or Stahl (though he'll want Ricken if he's going to be Morgan's dad). Brady cares even less and will like any magical father or whichever of Lon'qu and Virion Severa might not take (with a slight preference for Lon'qu, but Severa still has dibs). Inigo can run a great DF or mixed set with Libra, be a decent Sage with Ricken, or gain a ton of good physical options with Stahl. Frederick!Inigo is also really cool and Fred is in very low demand so he won't step on any other pairings.

Normally Noire's first pick would be Gaius but since Kjelle has precedence over her (she'd have it even if you didn't specify that), she needs to pick between Donnel and GF or good mods and no GF. Frederick, Gregor and Vaike make good non-GF options for her. Gerome wants a father who has either Berserker or Sniper, and if he doesn't get either he's benched for sure- just give him the dregs of Henry, Vaike, Gregor, Ricken, Stahl and Virion. Nah really likes Vaike and Henry, the latter of which should be fairly free.

Yarne loves Virion and Stahl. Barring those two, he'll be happy with anyone with a positive Str mod- Fred is a good choice.

Edit so I don't double post: Now that I've learned Apotheosis is the same on every difficulty (just bought it last night), my goals have changed somewhat. I would use optimal pairings for a Hard mode postgame run, but I think I am going to focus on the main story for a Lunatic run. I will still use EXPGrowth and Golden Gaffe as needed. Are all the children worth using in a Lunatic story run, or only certain awesome ones like Lucina and Morgan? Also, is a male or female avatar better for a main game Lunatic run? Thank you for the tips about post game pairings, even if I won't be using them on my next planned playthrough. I will make note of them for a future run. Original post about post game pairings follows...

Wow Czar_Yoshi thanks for all the advice! Based on your input, here's what I've got so far:

SumiaxChrom (I always do this pairing anyway)

SullyxGaius

CordeliaxLon'Qu

PannexFrederick

CherchexVirion

I still can't figure out FeMu, Lissa, Mariabelle, Miriel (forgot to mention Laurent last time), Olivia, Nowi or Tharja. Why does anyone want Ricken as a father? I did LissaxRicken this current playthrough and Owain has pretty bad caps compared to say Brady, who had Lon'Qu as a father. I also forgot to mention that I really like Armsthrift on my better units.

I'm leaning towards OliviaxStahl, LissaxLibra, MariabellexRicken and NowixHenry. I guess I could do TharjaxDonnel, but I'd hate to do that since Tharja is one of my favorite 1st gen characters and I can't stand Donnel, but that Galeforce. I really have no idea what to do for Miriel, though I did MirielxGregor this last time and Laurent turned out all right I guess. That still leaves FeMu which I have no idea yet. Is FeMuxChrom a good postgame pairing? I've seen it suggested a ton on these boards. How would that affect my other pairings?

What skills should the parents pass to their children? I know the obvious like Lissa, Mariabelle and Olivia should pass Galeforce.

Anyway, thanks again for the information. All of the possible combinations gives me a headache...

Edited by Eselred

Yeah, V/V is reliant on in-depth strategy that isn't recommended for rookies.

You have to do ridiculous calculations such as enemy AT - your def = the damage you take. The in depth addition and subtraction (because then you have to do HP - damage you take = final hp) is just so in depth.

Because ending your turn in front of enemies you ORKO is also in depth.

People are willing to calculate all the possible 160 Skl skill combinations for DS% but aren't willing to do a single damage calculation to setup Vengeance. Because one is in depth and the other is not.

You have to do ridiculous calculations such as enemy AT - your def = the damage you take. The in depth addition and subtraction (because then you have to do HP - damage you take = final hp) is just so in depth.

People are willing to calculate all the possible 160 Skl skill combinations for DS% but aren't willing to do a single damage calculation to setup Vengeance. Because one is in depth and the other is not.

Maybe next time just skip the sarcasm and post your undying love of vengeance, you're coming across as a huge tool.

Did you actually have something to contribute with this post or...?

Maybe next time just skip the sarcasm and post your undying love of vengeance, you're coming across as a huge tool.

Let's keep the quarreling out of the general help thread.

I'm pretty sure I've seen an answer a couple pages before but cannot dig it up again. Which skill should pass down Mavatar? I suppose either axefairie or wrath, with former being more universal but kinda useless on fem lead, and latter more situational but allowing for some interesting setups. Guess wrath is it?

Axefaire has much more applicable use than wrath. Unless you had some sort of crit build in mind wrath won't do you much good.

Actually... does wrath work from the back row? That could make for a great hard support setup if it does.

I suppose I've seen some of Czar's posts with valkyrie as crit support so I would say yes. The thing is that sending female Morgan to do support stuff is kinda meh but she can try it with VV while leading. The only female lead where you would like to use axe is hero - spears are considered to be better on wyverns - unless you would like to play with some timeless stuff.

Edited by serpentskirt

I just don't understand how someone who willingly constructs different sets of 160 Skl and 75 Spd based pairs but calls a single damage calculation that you can look at before the map starts "in depth." I don't understand how addition and subtraction is "in depth" while the other is simply a "non in depth" calculation that requires much more tinkering and thought process than "attack the enemy and you are done."

Why is the single addition problem so much harder to do than 6 pairing combination?

Edit so I don't double post: Now that I've learned Apotheosis is the same on every difficulty (just bought it last night), my goals have changed somewhat. I would use optimal pairings for a Hard mode postgame run, but I think I am going to focus on the main story for a Lunatic run. I will still use EXPGrowth and Golden Gaffe as needed. Are all the children worth using in a Lunatic story run, or only certain awesome ones like Lucina and Morgan? Also, is a male or female avatar better for a main game Lunatic run? Thank you for the tips about post game pairings, even if I won't be using them on my next planned playthrough. I will make note of them for a future run. Original post about post game pairings follows...

Avatar-F is usually preferred for Lunatic(+) ingame due to being able to marry Chrom, but Avatar-M works too with GF stacking strats. If you're grinding, though, nothing matters.

Avatar x Chrom gives Chrom a slightly better wife than Sumia, gives Lucina slightly better mods than Sumia, and gives the worst Morgan-M in the game. It's up to you.

Ricken is used as a father due to having the highest Mag mod of any father (+2), as well as giving Luna (and Bowfaire/Hit+20 in niche cases).

I'm pretty sure I've seen an answer a couple pages before but cannot dig it up again. Which skill should pass down Mavatar? I suppose either axefairie or wrath, with former being more universal but kinda useless on fem lead, and latter more situational but allowing for some interesting setups. Guess wrath is it?

Axefaire if Morgan plans on running Hero or Wyvern Lord, otherwise it doesn't matter. On aesthetics runs I usually pass Despoil because it's really fun to play with.

I just don't understand how someone who willingly constructs different sets of 160 Skl and 75 Spd based pairs but calls a single damage calculation that you can look at before the map starts "in depth." I don't understand how addition and subtraction is "in depth" while the other is simply a "non in depth" calculation that requires much more tinkering and thought process than "attack the enemy and you are done."

Why is the single addition problem so much harder to do than 6 pairing combination?

When I originally made my 100% DS team it was just because I was looking for something interesting and unique that would be a challenge to make (and to see if it was possible). I wasn't actually intending for it to take off and become a thing, but it did, so I just help people who want to make them (I've never actually encouraged someone to go for all 8 pairs unless it was their idea in the first place). Likely the reason it caught on so much is because enemy data has nothing to do with whether or not it works- it's just that 160 Skl threshold. Since Apo isn't very hard if you have the enemy data and know that Rescue is good, teambuilding for non-challenge runs (for people who aren't concerned about aesthetics, as well) mostly just revolves around hitting thresholds, no matter how arbitrary, because it's a quantifiable measure of how much a team can do (again, even if it's a completely arbitrary one. 75 Spd on all units is heavily emphasized but doesn't actually do anything in practice).

The reason I don't tend to like VV is that it's not plug-and-play. I want to be able to have a team where all calculations and setup are done with before battle that can stand firm as I do whatever I want in the map- while it's very possible to get guaranteed 1HP setups for Vengeance, they require me to do a specific thing mid-map that causes multiple runs to turn out pretty much exactly the same. This is probably a matter of taste, but if I spend a bunch of hours grinding up a team ingame, I want to get more than one run out of it (my 100% DS team has at least two completely different sets that are above average and suitable for both Apo and non-Apo postgame).

That's my reason for not liking it. But the real reason why I don't recommend it here is simple experience: most/all of the people who come here, build teams with it, do Apo and come back afterword just didn't like it. Usually it either came down to having to choose between doing some calcs to set up Vengeance to clear out a squad of mooks and blasting them with GF (guess which is easier) or having RNG (DGs, misses etc that can be mitigated but just take more time to do so) get in the way of setups. Again, Apo is pretty easy so I'm not going to recommend a set that most end users find to be actively useless (regardless of what it does in theory/in practice by people who really know what they're doing).

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Edit: Nevermind...Lunatic is far too cheap and frustrating for me to slog through. I managed Chapter 1 by playing carefully and letting Fred carry the day, but Chapter 2 was ridiculous. Looks like I'll be doing a Hard mode (serious) post game run this time.

So far I've got...

Sumia x Chrom (I've done this pairing every game so far...it seems really solid)

Sully x Gaius

Cordelia x Lon'Qu

Panne x Frederick

Cherche x Virion

Possible:

Olivia x Stahl

Lissa x Henry/Libra/Ricken

Maribelle x Libra/Henry/Ricken

Miriel x Ricken/Henry/Libra

Nowi x Donnel (I did Nowi x Vaike this last time...I want something different)

Tharja x Gregor

I still have no idea who to pair up with a female Avatar. What skills should I pass down from the parents, other than the obvious Galeforce whenever available?

Edited by Eselred

Actually... does wrath work from the back row? That could make for a great hard support setup if it does.

I can attest that Wrath works in that situation! I used a similar setup with Valkyrie Kjelle and Sage Laurent some time ago :)

Also, does anyone have any experience with physical lead Owain? Since his dad is Freddy, I was considering running PavGis. But that would mean I would have to drop Aggressor as I would need both Luna and GF. Since I'll pair him with Lucina and she'll do her share of dual strikes, I don't know if Aggressor would even be necessary... I don't have much experience with defensive setups as I rarely use them (aside from Nah). I just put it in my consideration since he has the skillset to pull it off, although it might just be a niche in practice. I guess running Aggressor/Luna/xfaire/GF would be better either way... (did I just answer my own question?)

On a side note, while playing I noticed this:

14t0gup.jpg

Ricken is riding a pony. :XD:

Edited by Val'air

Skill passing: GF where possible, DSp+ where possible and GF isn't. Sol from Gaius, any Wyvern skill from Panne, Aether from Cynthia, and your choice of Barb skills for other male-only cases. Everything else doesn't matter.

Avatar-F still goes good with Yarne, Owain and Laurent.

Stahl!Owain can be a physical lead pretty well. Fred!Owain might be slightly underwhelming due to his low Spd, though. There's no such thing as a defensive set in Apo- try running PavGis and see exactly how much they do.

Yup, Ricken does ride a pony.

Would it be detrimental to morgan if one of his/her parents is a taguel since he/she will retain a Beast type in any class? The only weapon that gains bonus damage against Beast type units is the Beast killer lance? If so, wouldn't I simply be able to use lancebreaker to remedy that problem?

I'm asking all this because i'm reluctant to have FeMU marry Yarne for the sake of my 100% DS team.