• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Would it be detrimental to morgan if one of his/her parents is a taguel since he/she will retain a Beast type in any class? The only weapon that gains bonus damage against Beast type units is the Beast killer lance? If so, wouldn't I simply be able to use lancebreaker to remedy that problem?

You don't really want your character to go against someone with bonus damage against them in the first place.

You have plenty of characters to deal with the ones Morgan would rather avoid as well, so this shouldn't be a problem :)

Meaning: Opt for another skill instead of Lancebreaker, unless you're planning to use that Morgan to solo Anna or something. Even then, other skills might be more useful...

Edited by Val'air

Skill passing: GF where possible, DSp+ where possible and GF isn't. Sol from Gaius, any Wyvern skill from Panne, Aether from Cynthia, and your choice of Barb skills for other male-only cases. Everything else doesn't matter.

Avatar-F still goes good with Yarne, Owain and Laurent.

Stahl!Owain can be a physical lead pretty well. Fred!Owain might be slightly underwhelming due to his low Spd, though. There's no such thing as a defensive set in Apo- try running PavGis and see exactly how much they do.

Yup, Ricken does ride a pony.

What is DSp+? Dual Support+? In regards to Wyvern skills, does Deliverer count? How is Cynthia passing anything unless she marries a male Avatar? What about Luna that you had mentioned for Ricken before?

I guess I should try using a Barbarian sometime it seems...

What is DSp+? Dual Support+? In regards to Wyvern skills, does Deliverer count? How is Cynthia passing anything unless she marries a male Avatar? What about Luna that you had mentioned for Ricken before?

I guess I should try using a Barbarian sometime it seems...

Yes, yes and yes. Deliverer is from Griffon Knight which is in the Wyvern-tree.

Gaius's kids sometimes can't reclass into Hero and so you'd want to pass that down (unless you're making a streetpass-team where Counter would be beneficial), and Yarne loses the Wyvern-tree entirely.

In the situation in which Cynthia would pass down anything would be when they marry Avatar. But unlike Chrom/Lucina, she isn't forced to pass down Aether, so it should be obvious that you should pass it down because her daughter can get all the other skills on her own, and Aether is sex.

OH, and Berserkers are amazing. It's a shame their model looks terrible...

Edited by Val'air

I never even knew that Dual Support+ existed...you learn something new every day.

Is passing a Wyvern skill like Deliverer preferred to say passing Luna, which applies to Sully?

Why are Barbarian skills considered good? Gamble seems decent I guess, but Despoil is useless when you have the Golden Pack (which I have like I mentioned before).

I've never actually used a Berserker before in Awakening. In fact, I don't remember having any kids who could become one this last playthrough.

Any passdowns I didn't mention do not matter when grinding. The child will be able to get all the parent's skills in those cases and you won't permanently miss anything by passing the wrong one or save more than a few minutes by passing the right one. For ingame, just pass the best thing you have.

Barb as in Barb and its promotions. Axefaire is good for Heroes/Wyverns, Despoil is fun for non-serious play and usually better than Armsthrift as a money skill. Henry!Nah can make some use of Wrath as well. You pass them because if the child is female she otherwise can't get them but could get anything else that parent could pass.

I never even knew that Dual Support+ existed...you learn something new every day.

Is passing a Wyvern skill like Deliverer preferred to say passing Luna, which applies to Sully?

Why are Barbarian skills considered good? Gamble seems decent I guess, but Despoil is useless when you have the Golden Pack (which I have like I mentioned before).

I've never actually used a Berserker before in Awakening. In fact, I don't remember having any kids who could become one this last playthrough.

DSp+ is rarely talked about on the boards as most people prefer other setups. But it's a good skill to have for hard supports or critstacking. It's what you always want to pass down to Gerome and Laurent, unless you're doing avoidstacking with Demoiselle or want Renewal on Laurent.

Unless Deliverer is going on your final set on Kjelle, then no. The "must"-part in passing down Wyvern-skills only applies to Yarne, because he loses the Wyvern-tree. Kjelle can re-class into Griffon Knight on her own, and if you're grinding Kjelle would much rather have Luna to play with. On the other hand, if you plan to get DG+ as well and don't care much for Lancebreaker (but you want Deliverer), passing down Deliverer would be better so you don't need to change into that class at all. It's just a preference thing really..

Berserkers also have the highest STR cap (along with General), but they don't have the General's middling speed, and their pair-up bonuses are much better.

Edit: Gerome and Yarne as Berserkers are pretty swell.

Edited by Val'air

There are so many combinations to consider...

Does the class of the parents at the time you begin the paralogue matter when it comes to the child's bases and stat mods?

Why does Chrom make for the worst male Morgan? Wouldn't Morgan with Aether be really good?

Edited by Eselred

I had a female Morgan with Lucina as her mother in my last game...she was one of my best units. Aether > Rightful King and it's not even close.

So I got over the hump in my Lunatic run, and I'm now on Chapter 5! Chapters 1 and 2 are crazy...Frederick Emblem, indeed (he's level 7 already with A swords A spears and C axes). What are some good main story pairings to use? Should I bother getting any of the children? I generally want to focus on completing the main story on Lunatic and that's it. I have access to DLC, but I am only going to use EXPGrowth if I hit a particularly rough patch and get stuck. I really have no interest in grinding DLC or doing any side missions (unless they contain a good kid).

I am playing as a female Avatar, and my highest support level is Chrom/Fred at B. Everything else is wide open, though I intend to pair the female Avatar with Chrom. Other than that, I have no idea what is good for Lunatic!

Edited by Eselred

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and Awakening (I only played it once on normal mode just to get my first experience without worrying about pairing and everything, just wanting to enjoy the story and gameplay), and I want to know if my plan for a new run on hard mode is good, or if I'm missing out on anything or any parent characters, or even if I straight up have bad pairings all together. The only pairings I am adamant in keeping the way I have are Avatar/Lucina and Chrom/Olivia. All others can change if need be. Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated, as I tried to do some research before making this paring list, but I could never find anyone that matched my lists pair for pair, so I want to make sure I have it all figured out before I make a go at my file.

Thanks for any help!

Chrom/Olivia

Donnel/Sully

Lissa/Henry

Stahl/Cordelia

Kellam/Nowi

Gregor/Panne

Gaius/Tharja

Lon'qu/Marribelle

Ricken/Miriel

Vaike/Cherche

Fredrick/Sumia

I had Donnel!Kjelle last Hard mode run, and I wasn't particularly impressed. Yes, Aptitude and Galeforce, but the caps are so low that she didn't end up that great.

Kellam is probably the worst father in the game.

Does the class of the parents at the time you begin the paralogue matter when it comes to the child's bases and stat mods?

Why does Chrom make for the worst male Morgan? Wouldn't Morgan with Aether be really good?

No, the only time parent classes ever matter is in determining Morgan's starting class.

Chrom doesn't give Morgan Aether and has no mods greater than +1, which is pretty much as low as you can get. He also locks Morgan out of marrying Lucina, which is something Morgan-M is often fond of (though I tend to prefer Severa/Nah for him instead).

So I got over the hump in my Lunatic run, and I'm now on Chapter 5! Chapters 1 and 2 are crazy...Frederick Emblem, indeed

I hate to tell you this but if you're playing Frederick Emblem that's not the hump. The game gives you a hard first four chapters (Pro-3) to scare away folks who aren't up to the task, then an easy(er) Cht.7-11 to give you time to train a team, and then a hard midgame/endgame to see what your team is made of. While Fred can be made helpful later on, he's not capable of reaching the critical mass needed to act as a guardian during Cht.7-11 while the rest of your team trains and you'll mostly be relying on him taking kills to get through there reasonably... And then you'll be screwed once promotes start showing up en masse in Cht.12.

Basically, just start pumping as much exp into your Avatar wherever possible- forge a Wyrmslayer would be a good idea if you've got D Swd, otherwise a decent mt Wind Tome from Spotpass will do, and go to town on Wyverns to catch up. If you can get to Tactician Lv.20 by the end of Cht.5 and haven't done any of the Paralogues yet, you'll still be in good standing for training later if you reclass immediately from there. If not, you might have to make do with one or no other pairs outside Avatar/someone and Fred for utility.

Should you get set up in time to train them, Panne, Nowi and Cordelia all make good female additions to the team that can come in later without hogging any of the exp Avatar needs now. Fred can support all of them well, too.

Hey guys, I'm new to the forums and Awakening (I only played it once on normal mode just to get my first experience without worrying about pairing and everything, just wanting to enjoy the story and gameplay), and I want to know if my plan for a new run on hard mode is good, or if I'm missing out on anything or any parent characters, or even if I straight up have bad pairings all together. The only pairings I am adamant in keeping the way I have are Avatar/Lucina and Chrom/Olivia. All others can change if need be. Any feedback and help would be greatly appreciated, as I tried to do some research before making this paring list, but I could never find anyone that matched my lists pair for pair, so I want to make sure I have it all figured out before I make a go at my file.

Thanks for any help!

If you're trying to get all those ingame, you won't have enough deployment slots to build all the pairs at once and will wind up not being able to train everyone. Are you using/do you care about DLC, or are you just trying to get a good playthrough of the game?

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

I intend to reduce my use of Fred to a support unit now that the game has opened up. I intend to go all in on female Avatar x Chrom from this point on. I've only done through Chapter 4 and no paralogues.

Should I Second Seal or Master Seal the Avatar at level 20? I've read that the internal level cap for Lunatic is 50, so I want to be careful about my class choices. Also, what should I do with Chrom, since he will be paired with the avatar for the rest of the game? The only units that have seen significant combat are Fred, Chrom (paired with Fred) and the Avatar. Lissa has gained some levels by healing, but that's it.

Should I plan on any 1st gen S supports or using any of the children? They start pretty far behind, especially on Lunatic.

The children start far behind but they come with an IL of 0, meaning they can catch up with the rest of your team with about 1 chapter's worth of kills and be unstoppable from there. Morgan, Lucina and Laurent are typically the best.

You should use the Second Seal on Avatar (either Peg, Merc or DM if you feel like Nostanking). If you have a MS already, use it on Chrom or Lissa, or save it if it looks like Avatar will be ready to promote before Cht.8 (not likely if Fred is Lv.7).

Hello again, pairing thread! I have another question since I can't seem to make up my mind by myself. XD

I want to make an awesome Taguel Morgan in Lunatic mode and can't decide the parent. On one hand I could marry Panne and have two uber-kids, which is nice, but forces me to play as a Male avatar, of which i'm not as fond of, but I get the cuter taguel Morgan.

On the other hand I could marry Yarne, and third-gen Morgans are more powerful. Pluses of this marriage is I get to be female, which I like more, and get to marry Yarne, whom I also like more. I get Male Morgan as a taguel (whom I like better but who isn't as cute as a taguel (he looks...odd as one actually)

My question is, which do you think is better? I'll be choosing +Str -Def because Taguels already have overkill speed, haha. I did some stat calcs as well already, they take in LB and BS+ boosts.

Panne!Morgan 80/57/40/63/62/60/50/41
Gregor!Yarne!Morgan 80/59/39/65/62/59/51/39
Lon'qu!Yarne!Morgan 80/57/40/66/65/60/48/39

3rd gen Morgan has lower growths than 2nd gen Morgan and comes really late. Never go for 3rd gen ingame unless it's Lucina!Morgan.

+Str Avatar!Yarne, on the other hand, has pretty incredible physical growths.

Postgame though Lon'qu!Yarne!Morgan will definitely be superior due to Panne being really bad there. It completely depends on whether you care more about ingame or postgame, and there's no happy medium.

I mostly play in-game and with my friends, but I use the DLC to grind. I can't not grind. Haha

I don't care about growths since I can stats through grinding. It just depends on whom you think is the better spouse for my avatar and the stronger Morgan/Yarne.

I just did Donnel's paralogue, and it wasn't too bad actually. Donnel got the level pretty easily, and totally by accident too, but hey, whatever works (he got attacked by a thief that would double him for the kill but he did just enough damage to secure the finishing blow on counter). Fred got to level 8 and got an A support with Chrom, but Robin was actually my MVP for the map and gained a bunch of levels. She's level 10 heading into Chapter 5 and is actually a competent unit now, able to double with the right support. I will probably pair up Robin and Chrom from this point forward, since they are only a C and Chrom gives nice SPD and has Dual Strike+.

I'll definitely be using male Morgan and pair him up with Lucina, but Laurent looks out of the question since I haven't used Miriel at all outside of the chapter she was forced in.

I can't decide between Galeforce or using Nos to roflstomp the story. I guess I could grind for a Galeforce Dark Mage/Sorc Avatar, but what's the fun in that? Maybe if I get stuck...

So a parent's current class has no bearing on the child's stats whatsoever? It uses the parent's "internal" stats instead of their current stats?

I mostly play in-game and with my friends, but I use the DLC to grind. I can't not grind. Haha

I don't care about growths since I can stats through grinding. It just depends on whom you think is the better spouse for my avatar and the stronger Morgan/Yarne.

Then Yarne will serve you better.

So a parent's current class has no bearing on the child's stats whatsoever? It uses the parent's "internal" stats instead of their current stats?

Yes.

There's no such thing as a powerful Taguel.

Lon'qu gives 1 more Skl for DS thresholds and 3 more Spd for Spd thresholds than Gregor, but if you won't be shooting for either of those then Gregor will give 2 more Str, and is the better option.

Okay, thanks. I know taguels aren't good, but they're one of my favorite classes and I really like them, haha. Gregor!Yarne could run Astra(Sol)/Aggressor/Beastbane/Res+10/LB just fine, I think. I could also give him counter. Morgan will e a lot more powerful though. And yeah, I don't normally go for "thresholds" I just use characters and pairings I like. I beat Secret Path apotheosis before with random pairings. It's not like you have to streamline it. I think i'll go with Gregor then! Thanks so much!