Isn't there a special S rank for siblings called "Companion" or something like that?

When cousins marry, they aren't displayed as Husband/Wife, but rather "Companions."

Examples are:

Owain x Lucina

(Which I ship so hard ,_.)

Owain x a Chrom-fathered-Cynthia/Kjelle

Owain x a Emmeryn-mothered Morgan

(Lucina x a Owain-fathered Morgan, I think)

(Maybe a Lucina-mothered Morgan x Owain/a Chrom-fathered Brady/Inigo?)

And the list can go on, if Lissa!Morgan marries any of Chrom's male children, and... Yeah.

But other than the name, nothing changes. Supports don't change, they're still S-ranked, and their pair-up quotes are the same.

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Is Priam a good spouse for female Avatar and parent for male Morgan? He's seems really good. I'm thinking on my next run after this current Lunatic main story run (which will be Hard post-game) of pairing them up, since Hard is easy enough that I can plow through the main story without the kids.

So I totally goofed up yesterday. I completed Chapter 13, saved, then went to see Lucina when I realized...I passed Rally Movement instead of Veteran. It was too late to fix it too, because I didn't have a backup save. I opted to start over again, because Veteran is super important, and because I learned that using other units than the family of death wasn't really working out. Tharja was still great (Dark Magic of couse), but outside of the few desert stages, Cordelia and Wyveren Panne were lackluster. This time I am going to make sure Veteran is always in the last slot, and focus entirely on the family, except for Tharja and maybe Nowi as support. I'm already on Chapter 6, and my Avatar is kicking butt already since I played better and relied less on Fred. I still want to go the Galeforce route first, but she has gained way more STR than MAG, which is kind of annoying.

My pairs are female Avatar/Chrom, Fred/Sumia (I love this pair), male Morgan/Lucina and I'm thinking Tharja/Lon'Qu (gives her SPD and SKL which she needs) and for Nowi either Gaius or Gregor. I had totally forgotten about buying a Dragonstone+ from Spotpass last time, so I will give it a shot this time and see if Nowi proves useful.

umm if her mother is an MU you know you could simply reclass her to Tactician right? MU children inherit the class...

Hello there!

I've been slowly working on my pairings and so far I have;

• Chrom x Sumia (Great Lord Lucina and I have not recruited Cynthia yet)
  • Vaike x Lissa (Swordmaster Owain, thinking of changing to Dread Fighter maybe?)
  • Ricken x Miriel (Haven't recruited Laurent yet)
  • Lon'qu x Cordelia (Assassin Severa)
  • Donnel x Nowi (Manakete Nah)

I have Female!MU (I actually forgot her assets/flaws this is awkward) Olivia, Tharja, Panne, Cherche, Maribelle and Sully left looking for a partner.

I have the following males left available to pair up: Gaius, Frederick, Virion, Stahl, Kellam, Gregor, Libra and Henry.

Any advice would be appreciated :)

Vaike doesn't really give Owain anything he wants, and his mods don't fit very well with Lissa. He could make a nice Hero, though.

Donnel x Nowi is OK. Nah won't be anything special but she works. All the other pairings are good.

What difficulty are you on, and what's this team for? Ingame? Apo? Non-Apo DLC?

Is Priam a good spouse for female Avatar and parent for male Morgan? He's seems really good. I'm thinking on my next run after this current Lunatic main story run (which will be Hard post-game) of pairing them up, since Hard is easy enough that I can plow through the main story without the kids.

I wouldn't call him good but he's definitely not bad. Since Avatar-F is a completely self sufficient lead, though, pretty much anyone who can S with her can do the job of Agg support, so that's not saying much. What you should really be looking at is Morgan (Priam's Str is OK but he doesn't have much Skl/Spd to offer) and whether or not you want to take the pairing imbalance.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

umm if her mother is an MU you know you could simply reclass her to Tactician right? MU children inherit the class...

Whoops, I didn't realize that any of the Avatar's children could inherit Tactician. I thought it was only Morgan. Oh well, that game is gone anyway, and I'm doing much better this time around.

Honestly, I'm just pondering ideas for my next Hard mode post-game run. I really have no idea who to pair up with a female Avatar, nor what to do with second generation pairings. It's a while off though, since I still have to finish my Lunatic main story run first, but I'm just trying to gather ideas at this point.

Vaike doesn't really give Owain anything he wants, and his mods don't fit very well with Lissa. He could make a nice Hero, though.

Donnel x Nowi is OK. Nah won't be anything special but she works. All the other pairings are good.

What difficulty are you on, and what's this team for? Ingame? Apo? Non-Apo DLC?

Yeah, I feel like Owain would benefit better from someone else but it's too late to change now unless if I make a new save slot.

Did Donnel!Nah because of Aptitude, which I felt like benefited Nah while she was leveling up. She's all maxed out along with Severa, Owain and Lucina.

I was mostly messing around in this save slot, seeing what works and what doesn't. Was thinking of trying out The Future Past DLC though. I'm playing on hard!casual.

So I'm going to attempt Lunatic+ again (right after I stop smashing my face into the nearest wall after losing to Chapter 2 again). I think I'm going to stick with my previous file's (Lunatic) pairings, but I would like some feedback first:

I would like to note that once I get past Chapter 4, I will grind. A lot.

So, these were my previous file's pairings:

Chrom and Sumia

Lon'qu and Lissa

Donnel and Sully

Ricken and Miriel

Frederick and Panne

Libra and Mariabelle

Gaius and Tharja

Gregor and Nowi

Stahl and Cordelia (Screw hair color)

Virion and Cherche

Henry and Olivia

Avatar and Lucina (What a shock...)

Of course, some of them are personal preference, but for the most part, these have served me well in Lunatic.

I was mostly messing around in this save slot, seeing what works and what doesn't. Was thinking of trying out The Future Past DLC though. I'm playing on hard!casual.

In that case, definitely keep messing around. None of that stuff will make any pairings prohibitively bad. Though you could still try to avoid large amounts of class overlap and/or focus on getting some good 8 Mov classes spread around on the children, as those make non-Apo postgame pretty fun.

Stahl and Cordelia (Screw hair color)

Virion and Cherche

Switch those two and you'll be good. Both of them are upper-midrange already but if you switch them they'll both be top tier.

Use Interceprot Strats (in my sig) for Cht.2/3.

Switch those two and you'll be good. Both of them are upper-midrange already but if you switch them they'll both be top tier.

Any particular reason why? In my playthrough mentioned earlier Severa was one of my personal favourite units to use.

Also, the Interceptor strategy is the one I'm using currently.

Virion!Severa trades Luna and Paladin for a very fast Wyvern and TF to go with her Dark Flier, and has more Spd/Skl on her Sniper. Gerome gains +2 Str for hard supporting, Paladin for goofing around and doesn't really lose anything except 1 Skl- Virion!Gerome has some pretty bad class overlap.

Regarding the 2nd gen pairings….

I have the following characters (some of whom are obviously not optimal):

1. Sumia!Lucina

2. Chrom!Cynthia

3. Cordelia!Morgan (Avatar is +Mag/-Str)

4. Avatar!Severa (Avatar is +Mag/-Str)

5. Donnel!Kjelle

6. Gaius!Noire

7. Vaike!Nah

1. Stahl!Inigo

2. Frederick!Owain

3. Lon'qu!Brady

4. Kellam!Laurent

5. Gregor!Gerome

6. Virion!Yarne

If you were working within these pre-existing constraints (all the first gen pairings have already made), whom would you, the people in this thread, pair-off within the 2nd generation (in terms of class access, pair-up bonuses, etc.), and why? None of my 2nd gen pairings have been formed yet.

One will be unmarried due the pairing unbalance cause by the Avatar marrying a 1st gen.

Just wondering what people would think.

One thing you should do for sure is make Morgan and Severa Valkyries. With All+2 it'll out them up to 75 Spd without needing to drop Sage supports for Dread Fighters- so you can pair Laurent and one of Owain or Brady with them according to taste. If you don't care about 75 Spd, then go back to DF for more Skl (or DK for fun/+Mov on pairup, even) and drop All+2 in favor of AT or a second proc.

Yarne and Lucina are pretty much made for eachother as a Sniper/Berserker pair.

Donnel!Kjelle has Hero and Paladin as her only real options. I prefer Paladin because she'll already be somewhat second-rate due to Donnel and her +1/2 Str/Spd mods, and the extra Mov really helps her keep up in terms of kills, but she'll need either Al+2 or a +Spd pairup to hit 69 in it. I'd advise Inigo for this. Alternately, she could be the one you bench.

Noire and her Anathema will be pretty receptive to Gerome and his Hit issues. They'd make a good pair in whatever classes you want to put them in.

Nah is last and if not benched will happily take any Galeboy, preferably physical but she doesn't actually care. Two of them will probably be taken already. She's the other candidate for benching besides Kjelle.

Finally, Cynthia is cool with pretty much anyone and will take whatever Galeboy is left after Nah, Kjelle, and Morgan/Severa have taken theirs.

Hello, I have a question about my main file. I generally choose parents for the child's benefit, but I felt like having Henry marry Cordelia... just for fun really. I passed Severa Axefaire and now I can't decide what to end her as. She can go either physical, magical or hybrid and she's married to Wyvern Lord Gregor!Gerome.

I've used her as a War Cleric with Axefaire, and an Axefaire Hero, but in terms of offense I don't like using Vengeance without Vantage in Lunatic without Nosferatu. That means in terms of PROCS she has Sol... I just realized a few minutes ago I can use her as a Bow Knight with the Astra ow for offense, then switch her to Gerome for enemy phase... She's currently a Dark Knight, which doesn't use axefaire either. Falcon Knight also works. Thanks for any help you can give me!

Edited by LetheTheRaptor

I know pretty much nothing about Double Duel.

Ingame you won't have LB or time to make a full set, so just roll with the skills you get (Sol/AT, most likely). Apo, you'll mostly want to stick to Axefaire/Vengeance as a hard lead Hero.

I'm trying to get some optimal pairings for everyone. I'm not exactly looking for the best pairings, but rather ones that will balance out the other pairings. For example: I don't necessarily want a 10/10 2nd gen character if it results in taking away the only good 1st gen mate for another 1st gen character, which will result in a 6/10 2nd gen character. Instead, I'd rather have two 9/10 characters.

So far I'm concentrating on who Lon'qu should go with, and I've pretty much narrowed down my answer to maribelle or cordelia; I just don't know which brady/severa's the best for the entire team.

Also, I'm on chapter 17 and only have ChromxSumia, MUxLucina, and VaikexNowi right now, so any other pairings are appreciated! Also, though it's only hard-casual, I plan to take what I learn from this file into a future lunatic one.

Hey, welcome to the Forest! I'm going to assume you want your pairings for a postgame/DLC setting, because during the main story, especially on Lunatic, it's very difficult to get all the children in the first place, let alone train them, so you wouldn't have any worries about getting suboptimal ones.

Fortunately, Awakening has very few instances of one good pairing robbing another of potential, because a lot of effort is put into making "suboptimal" children just as good as the optimal ones, resulting in a wide variety of fathers most children can take. The only one that's really left is Kjelle vs Noire on who gets saddled with Donnel.

[spoiler=Kjelle and Noire]Basically, Donnel gives Galeforce, Gaius gives Galeforce, and both of them want it so they have to choose who gets which dad. Gaius, however, gives excellent mods, and Donnel gives terrible (worst in the game) mods. Kjelle has good mods to begin with and with Gaius is easily A tier, boasting a very fast Paladin and Wyvern Lord. With Donnel, her mods are still OK, but she misses the top benchmark in Spd in pretty much every class she has, leaving her with no role she can do optimally.

On the other side, Noire winds up with decent Str/Mag/Spd from Gaius, but lacks the classes and skills to put them to use: if she goes magical (Dark Flier) to capitalize on her +3 Mag, she'll lack Tomefaire, dropping her output considerably, so she has to go physical. She can make a decent Bride (DLC) or Sniper, but her physical options are pretty limited and she won't be able to properly capitalize on Gaius's mods either way. Donnel!Noire still has no Tomefaire for those magical classes, but now doesn't even have the Skl/Spd that Gaius gives.

Overall, you're choosing between having a first rate Kjelle and a second rate Noire, or having both of them be second rate. Noire is hurt by Donnel, but not as much as Kjelle because she was never that good to begin with. My preferred way out of this is to just give Noire a decent father at the cost of no GF and make her into a second Nah, letting Kjelle have GF and benching Donnel. Frederick and Gregor are both good options for a non-GF Noire.

As for Lon'qu, here's what those two will look like in a postgame setting. Both have plenty of other strong options, so you're not sabotaging either by not giving them Lon'qu.

Severa will be a Wyvern Lord with Limit Breaker, Galeforce, Lancefaire, All+2 and Vengeance, and paired with a Berserker with Hit+20 (such as Stahl!Yarne). With all boosts applied she'll hit 75 Spd, which doubles everything in the game, and with 10 flying Mov she can reach pretty much anything. She's also so strong that it's pretty much impossible to survive her through RNG alone.

Her second set is pretty similar, but swap Wyvern Lord for Hero, Lancefaire for Swordfaire and the Berserker for anything slow (usually something like a Bowfaire Warrior with no Galeforce (Stahl!Gerome, for example), or an Axefaire General with it (Fred!Inigo, maybe)). She's fast enough this way to hit that 75 Spd benchmark no matter what her pairup is, letting you give her a slow pairup for fun to use a class you normally wouldn't (she can take the lead for kills that need speed, and with her +8 pairup boost her support won't be getting doubled, at least).

On the other side is Lon'qu!Brady. Brady pretty much doesn't care about his dad due to already having all the skills and classes he needs from Maribelle alone, and only wants more mods. Lon'qu delivers nicely on that front and gives him the highest possible Skl out of all his fathers. However, do keep in mind that a +2 Spd father (such as Virion) won't cause him to hit any different benchmarks, and is for all intents and purposes identical.

Hello, I'm planning my pairings for Lunatic+, which I will (hopefully) start in the next days. I like having things settled before starting a run, so I want to ask if the pairings I thought of are okay or if there's a better way.

I will use 5 pairings and some Spotpass-Units for Rally/Healing/Rescue. As you see, there are only 10 units I have to worry about, because everyone else will not be used. (Except of beeing used as father/mother for another unit) One of my biggest problems is, that I always run out of weapons right in the middle of a fight, so I thought of having one armsthrift user in each pairing.

First of all, I'll use a Yarne!Morgan. Henry will be father of Yarne. So Yarne will not be really good, but Morgan should have just the right stats for using him as a Dread Fighter.

Morgan will be married with Gaius!Cynthia, which will be a Bridge. Not the best
choise, I know, but there are just some units I have to have in my "family". It's still a game and if I'm not having enough fun with some units I like, I would just start the whole game again. (Stupid, indeed.)

Second, because Yarne is married with MU, there's no other way for me than taking him along. These two will be the second pairing. (Would be a waste, not to use MU, wouldn't it?)

With the third pairing, I'm starting to getting unsure. I plan to use Frederick!Severa paired with Ricken!Brady. Severa will be able to have Armsthrift, Aegis, Pavise and Galeforce and should be fine taking out two enemys per turn without getting a lot of damage. While she will do the normal damage, Brady can help her out with some magic. But I'm really not sure about that.

Of course, Armsthrift on Brady would give him the ability to throw as much Celica's Gale on the emenys as he want, but the only way to pass him Armsthrift would be Donnel with his horrible stats or Gregor, which would pull down his Mag. So what would be best?

Another pairing I thought of is Stahl!Owain with Gregor!Nah.
Because of Stahl, Owain can get Aegis and Dual Guard+, Galeforce will be passed down by Lissa.
And because the need of one Armsthrift per pairing, Nah has to choose between Gregor and Donnel.

Donnel looks kinda useless for me, so I took Gregor.

Last and least will be Chrom with his daughter Kjelle. Chrom has to join nearly every battle, so I sadly can't replace him and because Sully wouldn't survive long, I choosed Kjelle. Kjelle can learn Aegis, Pavise and will get Aithir from Chrom. She also can get Deliverer, which would give her some movement.

Now I look up on my pairings and see not a single unit with Luna. Must have done something wrong. Any idea, how I could get the best out of this 10 units?
(And yes, I now that Laurent can be OP and that Olivia is very useful, etc. But I choosed this ten, so I will go with them, no matter how good any other unit could be.)

You're never going to get those units to make it without DLC, and with DLC anyone can make it and your pairings won't matter ingame.

You've got Luna on Avatar, Morgan, Cynthia, Severa, Brady, Owain, Chrom, Sully, Kjelle and Lucina.

I'd love to help more but am not sure exactly what you're after here. Context on what you're using them for is really important in determining whether and how pairings are good.

Oh, you're right. I really forgot mentioning that.

Two units shall be able to rush into the enemys, kill 2 per turn and then get rescued. Of course I can't always rescue them out of range, so they should also be able to take some hits. They will need Galeforce to attack twice in a turn.
Since they have Galeforce passed down I thought Severa and Owain should be fine.

Morgan is able to use Galeforce as well, but I want him to stay longer in enemy range and lure some enemys if needed. He should be able to clear a little area, so that he is out of range for one turn. In this turn I can switch to Cynthia, who could use rescue staff to move another unit there. Cynthia should at least be able to survive 1 enemy turn, when she's attacked.

MU will be used as NosTank, first she has to lure enemys away from the units with weak defense. Since she is more a Tank than a fast killer, she can't make it through the enemys as fast as Morgan, but she can get rescued by Cynthia.

I also need one unit to protect Chrom. This unit don't need to do anything than "staying alive". I think Kjelle's right for that, but if you know something better, please tell me.

The partner of Severa and Owain will just be used as support, so a lot of support-skills and high stats would be very useful.

Hope I explained it right this time ...

Edit: Oh, and I'm not talking about using them Ingame. Other things like ... maybe Apo.

Edited by Anelciel

Edit: Oh, and I'm not talking about using them Ingame. Other things like ... maybe Apo.

Yeah, that's what I was looking for.

Severa and Owain might be fine but in Apo you'll have trouble if you can't kill at least five enemies per turn. There are turn limits in some of the waves that kick you out if you exceed them, and enemies usually spawn in groups of five. In most other maps you might be OK as long as you don't care about defending anyone, but four attacks per turn is still really low (outside of Apo, think of Galeforce as a mobility skill to allow you to position your units better to clean house on enemy phase).

You can't "clear out a little area" on enemy phase here. Enemies spawn too close together, so even if you kill a bunch, there will always be a bunch more right next to you that couldn't quite make it to you to die. I don't know if you've played Lunatic(+) before or not, but the AI launches the whole map at you at once- you can't just stand on the edge and pick off units one at a time.

Luring enemies away from weaker units toward stronger units is pretty hard. Unless that stronger unit is the only thing in their range, they'll just randomly lose interest and go fight the weak unit instead. Nos is also useless in Apo, so don't even consider using it there.

The best way to stay alive in Lunatic(+) is to just be strong yourself. Chrom is a very competent unit and could protect somebody himself if you train him. But if you do want him out of the way and just staying alive, make him a Bow Knight or Paladin and leave him unpaired. He can run away better that way.

Ricken!Brady is one of the only A-tier units on your team. You should definitely use him to his potential and not just stick him in the back, give him LB/GF/Agg/Luna/TF, make him a Sage and let him help you. Gaius!Cynthia should be fighting too, she has Luna, GF and good mods.

PavGis can be fun to play around with, but at the end of the day everything in in Apo will pretty much wipe the walls with you. They're never strong enough to ORKO you at full HP (unless you happen to engage a boss very poorly), but beyond that just killing things before they can attack goes a lot farther than tanking. You should be focusing on offensive skills like Luna, Faires, and Aggressor rather than defenses, PavGis and Sol/Nos. You'll have plenty of room for staffbots with a team that size, so healing isn't an issue.

I also don't see Lucina here. Both her and Kjelle will be pretty bad due to having no Galeforce, but still useful if you give them husbands who do have it- Owain would happily leave Nah for Lucina, for example.

Wow, that's quite what I expected. I still have no idea of what would be good and what's as good as trash. (Still playing Lunatic to unlock Lunatic+)

So, can you give me some advices, how I could make this ten units usable?

Except of this MU, Morgan, etc. pairings, which I will use even if they'll have no chance, because I want to have fun, everything else is not set. I want to have Nah, Brady, Severa, and Owain in my Team(Kjelle can be replaced with another, if more useful), and one should protect Chrom, cause I just love to see him die and ... well, if he's not with another unit, he'll die, no matter if it's Apo or just Ingame. (I really hate him.)

Killing the enemy before they can attack you is the best defense, I got that. What skills do you think should be on focus than? Any special or is every attacking or stat-rising skill fine? (And could you please write the name of the skills out? I just know the german names, so I have to translate everything and LB is like "I have no idea what this is, but it sounds cool". 'Ya know?)

Edited by Anelciel