Gameplaywise: ChromXSumia, because it gives you two aether users.

One of my favorite pairings is HenryXSumia, and I understand ChromXOlivia is good. Is dual aether good enough to forsake both of those pairs?

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite pairings is HenryXSumia, and I understand ChromXOlivia is good. Is dual aether good enough to forsake both of those pairs?

Henry x Sumia is solid, but loses out on the Sniper & Paladin flexibility that Chrom offers in addition to Aether. All she really gets out of the deal is Hexathema and a slightly better Mag mod, which is certainly still an improvement.

Chrom x Olivia is good for Chrom!Inigo, but Olivia!Lucina basically gets Swordfaire, Assassin, and lower Speed mods compared to Sumia!Lucina. Those Speed mods make a difference when it comes to classes like Sniper, Paladin, etc.

Sumia!Lucina & Chrom!Cynthia are just incredibly flexible and great in almost any of their relevant Apotheosis classes, so it's easy to work them into any pairing they might be needed. Need a Dark Flier for a Sage? You got it. Need a solid Lead Sniper? Also great. Need a Paladin for a double Galeforce pair? Go for it.

Chrom x Sumia also takes advantage of Chrom as the best 1st gen Male outside of possibly Avatar. Dual Strike+, in conjunction with Bowfaire & Aggressor, is really just that good. Olivia's utility as a Dancer is squandered if you use her in an offensive pair, and her lack of proc is unfortunate as well.

Basically Chrom x Sumia 2gud

Henry x Sumia is solid, but loses out on the Sniper & Paladin flexibility that Chrom offers in addition to Aether. All she really gets out of the deal is Hexathema and a slightly better Mag mod, which is certainly still an improvement.

Is hex-anathema any good at all endgame?

There's nothing that's 100% necessary. If you have a pair that you like for some other reason than gameplay, we can make it work.

I'm working on stuff right now so I'll come back when it's semi-finalized.

Is hex-anathema any good at all endgame?

Hex and anamthema are good at literally every point of the game. Hex is Hit +15 for everyone at 1 range and Anathema combines Solidarity and Hit +10... over a 3 range area. I would really like to know what the hell IS was thinking with Awakening DK/Sorcs.

To answer your original question (what can't I do without), Chrom x Sumia. The in game and post game dominance is incredibly far above everything else. Except Chrom x Robin, but it's pretty close (alternate in game strat, indirectly capable of consistent Apotheosis). I also can't seem to quit LQ x Cordelia. Lucina x Laurent is a personal OTP I never go without.

There's nothing that's 100% necessary. If you have a pair that you like for some other reason than gameplay, we can make it work.

Yeah just to clarify, Chrom X Olivia is still great, as are Cynthia X Henry. You can definitely use them, I like running different pairings to prevent the game from getting stale.

I was just trying to highlight why Chrom X Sumia is so good.

I was just trying to highlight why Chrom X Sumia is so good.

Right. My comment wasn't directed at you. It was primarily directed at this incredibly risky statement of ignorance:

Chrom x Sumia. The in game and post game dominance is incredibly far above everything else. Except Chrom x Robin, but it's pretty close

If you really think that Sumia is "pretty close" to Robin as an ingame wife - as well as being 'incredibly far above everything else' - I'll have to reevaluate my opinion of your insight into the game.

Right. My comment wasn't directed at you. It was primarily directed at this incredibly risky statement of ignorance:

If you really think that Sumia is "pretty close" to Robin as an ingame wife - as well as being 'incredibly far above everything else' - I'll have to reevaluate my opinion of your insight into the game.

Different strokes, I guess. I remember in the rank the units thread on GFaqs, you had Sumia at C. I always say she's a polarizing unit.

The HenryXSumia supports are friggin' fantastic, no argument there, and Henry!Cynthia is okay, but Chrom!Cynthia's way better unless you like vengeance, which I really, really don't. ChromXOlivia is kinda overrated, both in-game and postgame. In-game, Sumia's way easier to get galeforce by chapter 13 (which is really easy to do for Sumia) which makes the rest of the game a lot easier. Postgame, Sumia gives way better mods than Olivia (Who just gives +1 to Skill and Speed). Aether's a really really good skill, and it's also the only way for Cynthia to procstack at all without sacrificing galeforce on another girl by using Gaius. Luna by itself is kinda risky, and Vengeance is really tricky to use properly. Procstacking is my ideal solution.

And even if Aether weren't all that great, Sumia's the only parent for Lucina that lets her be a Sniper who can, with a berserker husband, reach 75 speed. Well, Olivia can too if you use AS+2, but that's far from ideal.

I'll defend the latter statement, though certainly not the former. Sumia's Chrom's only potential wife who starts out in the class set for dark flier, which, as I said above, means she's capable of getting galeforce ABSURDLY easy, which turns both Lucina and Cynthia into extremely versatile and VERY easily-trainable badasses. Unless you want to ruin them forever, you can't even GET Inigo or Brady in-game until you get Olivia or Maribelle galeforce, which is much, much harder, though feasible with staff/dance abuse, though the former requires a ton of money to do. As for Sully, postgame Sumia's obviously infinitely better, but as for in-game... well, again, galeforce is a pretty significant edge for Sumia in-game too.

Edited by Alastor15243

To its credit, Chrom x Sully is still quite good in-game, even if Chrom x Robin and Chrom x Sumia are somewhat better.

I just tend to use Chrom x Sully a lot since I like doing Galeforce-less efficiency runs, but obviously that's not the standard everyone uses when judging pairings for their in-game usefulness.

I'll defend the latter statement, though certainly not the former.

That's not possible. The two statements are part of a single point I'm bringing up. If you had understood my point, then you wouldn't post things like these.

To its credit, Chrom x Sully is still quite good in-game, even if Chrom x Robin and Chrom x Sumia are somewhat better.

I just tend to use Chrom x Sully a lot since I like doing Galeforce-less efficiency runs, but obviously that's not the standard everyone uses when judging pairings for their in-game usefulness.

I'll admit I've underestimated Chrom/Sully. Seeing just how good the cavaliers are opened my eyes.

Hey hey no fighting in the War Room.

ChromXOlivia is kinda overrated, both in-game and postgame.

It may be rated a bit highly for the wrong reasons, but it's still very good for others.

My Avatar is female +def - luck, originally wanted to do Walhart for the lulz. Here are the pairs I like a lot and want to use:

Donnel!Kjelle

Stahl!Yarne

Lon'qu!Severa

I think I'll do Cynthia w/ Chrom for class access and dual aether, and the fact that it was never a bad pair to begin with. Any idea for the remaining progeny?

We've settled :P:.

In all honesty, Chrolivia is a very good pairing for both Inigo and Lucina. It may be criticized too often as a result of being a major player in the L/DG+/GF era. At worst, Chrom can go BK or GK to give Olivia +1 mov. It's just a potential waster, given how good Chrom himself is.

My Avatar is female +def - luck, originally wanted to do Walhart for the lulz. Here are the pairs I like a lot and want to use:

Donnel!Kjelle

Stahl!Yarne

Lon'qu!Severa

I think I'll do Cynthia w/ Chrom for class access and dual aether, and the fact that it was never a bad pair to begin with. Any idea for the remaining progeny?

Off the top of my head

Gerome would appreciate a +Hit father.

Laurent likes Gregor a lot.

Gaius!Kjelle is cool.

Libra!Inigo is a classic. Ricken!Inigo is a personal favorite of mine.

Ricken!Owain is idiot proof.

That's not possible. The two statements are part of a single point I'm bringing up. If you had understood my point, then you wouldn't post things like these.

Just clarifying, I meant the former statement being that Sumia is "pretty close to FeMU" as an in-game wife. Not the first of the two lines I quoted of you. I was saying that while I won't argue Sumia's close to FeMU in-game, I will argue that she's by far the best of Chrom's non-FeMU options in-game.

Mind your own business Mr. Police Officer. As already mentioned, this has been settled already.

Just clarifying, I meant the former statement being that Sumia is "pretty close to FeMU" as an in-game wife. Not the first of the two lines I quoted of you. I was saying that while I won't argue Sumia's close to FeMU in-game, I will argue that she's by far the best of Chrom's non-FeMU options in-game.

I see the galeforce lovers just pile up in this thread. Maybe one day you'll find out that this game isn't all about galeforce and that the Cavalier class tree is amazing. At least people accept that Wyvern Rider is good.

Thanks for clarifying. I'll keep your opinion in mind for the future.

I see the galeforce lovers just pile up in this thread. Maybe one day you'll find out that this game isn't all about galeforce and that the Cavalier class tree is amazing. At least people accept that Wyvern Rider is good.

Ignoring the confrontational and mildly insulting tone you've been using towards me, how amazing the cavalier tree is is kind of irrelevant, because Chrom already gives it to his children. I'm honestly confused as to your reasoning. Explain to me why Paladin access for Sully and wyvern access for Sully, Kjelle and Lucina is so much more useful than Galeforce for Cynthia and Lucina in-game, particularly in lunatic?

Edit: This was a posting glitch caused by an error in my browser mid post creation right before my browser crashed, not an intentional double post. Could somebody remove the first one?

Edited by Alastor15243

Keeping in mind that my FeMU is +Def -Lck and I very much don't want to give Chrom the avatar, where should her classes go? Since it's all a matter of mods, is there anything that even wants defense?

Avatar-F can't pass her classes on to any kids but Lucina, so you'll have to marry for her and Morgan alone. Morgan likes dads with high Str/Mag, Spd and Skl, while Avatar likes pretty much every 2nd gen male except Gerome. Maybe him, too.

Edited by Czar_Yoshi

Avatar likes pretty much every 2nd gen male except Gerome. Maybe him, too.

Why would Gerome be the exception? I'm not seeing it. I can see how Gerome would be better on someone with a +5 Speed mod for Wyvern Lord or a 40 Speed class, but in that case I would expect it to apply to Yarne too. What am I missing?

Edited by isetrh

Avatar-F can't pass her classes on to any kids but Lucina, so you'll have to marry for her and Morgan alone. Morgan likes dads with high Str/Mag, Spd and Skl, while Avatar likes pretty much every 2nd gen male except Gerome. Maybe him, too.

What do you mean when you say FeMU can't pass classes to anyone but lucina?