Then roll with it ;) Severa is a good unit in any case, You may want to pass her down galeforce directly from her mother and tomefaire from her father because her start will be a bit slow (I have one save file with it, even if it's just one of my 'to collect logs' one so it's not going to run in apo or anything) and you'll want to train her a bit. And keep in mind her mag growth will still be... a bit lower than her strenght since she gets

+4 Skill.

+3 Speed.
+2 Strength.
+1 Magic, Defense and Resistance.
-1 Luck

Lifetaker and Sol can make her pretty resistant if you want to throw her in the front line with Cyn. A better mage!Severa would be Ricken!Severa and on the other hand Owain would be a Top Tier character with Libra as father (Probably the best one, as far as I know) If you'll ever considered to switch. That being said, if you're going in because you like the couple (they *are* lovely, I admit it :P) just ignore everything I've said and enjoy your game like I do with my non-optimized pairs :P

Well the only reason I am not using Ricken!Severa is because that support brings out what I would call the worst of Cordelia. Well that and I don't see Ricken as much of a child like that support makes him out to be. That said I think that he's better off with Lissa for the ending (I am a sucker for their endings) and Lissa's seemed the best with Ricken...or Lon'qu but then I'm bias to that pair.

Here are the children's matchups:

~Chrom!Brady x Libra!Severa
~Ricken!Owain x Henry!Cynthia
~Stahl! Gerome x Donnel!Kjelle
~Virion!Inigo x Vaike!Nah
~Gregor!Laurent x Maribelle!Lucina!Morgan
~Frederick!Yarne x Gaius!Noire
I think they'll work in game (and maybe apo I'll have to see)
Edited by TheSilentChloey

• Replies 7.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Looks fine--it's hard to be unprepared for non-Apo stuff, and even for that I suspect you have your bases covered.. Every pair has at least one gale user. Pairs make sense stat-wise (e.g. the first two are Mag-focused; the last two and the third are Str-focused, and Laurent/Morgan can go either way). I wouldn't know what classes to recommend for them though--you'll need someone else for that.

Hello again, all :) Because I can't ever seem to fully make up my mind as far as pairing goes (by the way, my thanks for the suggestions provided thus far! They're really genuinely appreciated), I thought I might return again (this time, hopefully, with a made-up mind about who to go with XD) Maybe someone might let me know where or how these are?

I'm planning on running through every single DLC map in the game (including Apotheosis, secret path), and while I can plainly see that, here in this game, magic > physical, that's just..really boring to me, tbh.

EDIT: Simply maximizing on magical-based units seems boring. So sorry if that wasn't clear..

At any rate, I think I might have a set of pairings ready to roll. I think. Heh.. They are as follows:

[spoiler=Decided-on, but..undecided-on.., pairings]Chrom x Sumia
Lissa x Ricken
Frederick x Panne
Sully x Vaike
Virion x Olivia
Stahl x Cordelia
Miriel x Lon'qu
Donnel x Nowi
Maribelle x Henry
Gaius x Tharja
Gregor x Cherche
MU (+SPD/-DEF, -LCK, or -RES..haven't yet decided that, either XD) x Noire

Libra x Naga
Kellam x that tree Olivia was talking to in their supports

Edited by silvRboLt

Aight so I made a topic for this question but it didn't get answered. How would Henry!Owain as a mixed Vantage Vengeance Swordmaster be in a no Second Seals no Galeforce run? I want to go for mixed because a purely physical Owain always has lackluster Str for a purely physical unit, and Henry!Owain's Str growth isn't that much lower than that of Vaike!Owain or something similar, and VV is awesome and very rare in a No Second Seals run.

Hello again, all :) Because I can't ever seem to fully make up my mind as far as pairing goes (by the way, my thanks for the suggestions provided thus far! They're really genuinely appreciated), I thought I might return again (this time, hopefully, with a made-up mind about who to go with XD) Maybe someone might let me know where or how these are?

I'm planning on running through every single DLC map in the game (including Apotheosis, secret path), and while I can plainly see that, here in this game, magic > physical, that's just..really boring to me, tbh.

EDIT: Simply maximizing on magical-based units seems boring. So sorry if that wasn't clear..

At any rate, I think I might have a set of pairings ready to roll. I think. Heh.. They are as follows:

[spoiler=Decided-on, but..undecided-on.., pairings]Chrom x Sumia

Lissa x Ricken

Frederick x Panne

Sully x Vaike

Virion x Olivia

Stahl x Cordelia

Miriel x Lon'qu

Donnel x Nowi

Maribelle x Henry

Gaius x Tharja

Gregor x Cherche

MU (+SPD/-DEF, -LCK, or -RES..haven't yet decided that, either XD) x Noire

Libra x Naga

Kellam x that tree Olivia was talking to in their supports

So...

Lucina and Cynthia are fine, with options aplenty.

Owain is fine.

Yarne will do a decent job at supporting, but will have to use General for Apo.

Kjelle... is kinda bad, honestly. Well, mods are good, but Kjelle wants GF so bad, especially for Apo...

Inigo will most likely do fine in non-Apo, but he's kinda poor for Apo due to no reliable proc.

Severa is decent.

It's not that Laurent is bad, but he's kind of a waste of L'Q's speed.

Nah is... lackluster in Apo due to no offensive proc (other than possibly Luna Lance, and even then...).

Brady owns in Apo no matter his dad.

Noire is good.

Gerome is alright.

Noire!Morgan is an unusual choice, but the mods will give her versatility aplenty. Note that +Spd may not be needed for Apo.

I would do a few switches. To be more exact, I'd switch around Donnel and Vaike (so Donnel!Kjelle, who has GF and Vaike!Nah who gets a reliable proc and AT, but no GF, which is standard practice), along with Fred and Virion (Virion!Yarne gets +Hit for awesome Zerk hard support and Inigo gets Luna for Apo).

Aight so I made a topic for this question but it didn't get answered. How would Henry!Owain as a mixed Vantage Vengeance Swordmaster be in a no Second Seals no Galeforce run? I want to go for mixed because a purely physical Owain always has lackluster Str for a purely physical unit, and Henry!Owain's Str growth isn't that much lower than that of Vaike!Owain or something similar, and VV is awesome and very rare in a No Second Seals run.

I'd think he'd work as a Vengeance attacker with Swordfaire. Give him Levins and Eirika's/Braves (Vengeance is much better with Braves). The thing with VV is that it requires an absurd amount of preparation and prerequisites in order to work, but once it's launched....

• 4 weeks later...

Starting a new file on Hard Mode and would like to know if my pairings are any good:

Chrom!Inigo/Olivia!Lucina
Gregor!Owain
Lon'qu!Gerome
Frederick!Kjelle
Gaius!Brady
Vaike!Yarne
Donnel!Severa
Libra!Laurent
Henry!Nah
and Virion!Noire

Willing to chance any bad ones except for Chrom!Inigo because of how well it work in my previous file.

EDIT: My assets are +Skill and -HP

Edited by Rend Keaven

Chrom!Inigo is fine, and Avatar!Cynthia gives you a higher degree of flexibility than most files have purely because you've taken care of the two "short list" parents (Sumia and Chrom are the only parents who can't marry basically every 1st-gen, pre-timeskip character). The +Skl asset is good, though usually -Def is preferred over -HP, since -HP gives -1 Str/Mag, whereas -Def only hurts defensive stats (Lck, Def, Res) that are less important.

Gregor!Owain isn't a particularly great choice. The mods are nothing to write home about, and the only new class line he gains is Merc (which is still good! Just...you can do better.) Gregor is a good dad for the right kids, but much of his potential is wasted because Owain already has Myrmidon and Barbarian. Similar stuff applies to Vaike!Yarne, though Vaike's mods are better than Gregor's. The two will not be "bad," in the sense that they already had good kits, but fall short of their potential. Very very roughly, you generally want to look for dads that give fairly significant class/skill flexibility (especially if it adds really good class options, like Berserker, BK, Sniper, or Sage, or new Faires/proc skills), while simultaneously adding strong mods to Str, Mag, Skl, and/or Spd, not Lck, Def, or Res (which do nothing for the offense-heavy optimization this thread focuses on--Apotheosis makes tanking/defense a sucker's game, so you want to go balls-out for offenses). Some dads are good because they give a great class set despite mediocre stats (Stahl), others can good because they give great mods despite "meh" class options (Lon'qu might count), and some are just nice because they give Berserker to a son who wouldn't have it or Axefaire to a girl. Other dads are bad for giving both bland/unhelpful classes and defense-focused mods (Kellam is Worst Dad).

Gaius and Donnel are best used as fathers to provide any two of Kjelle, Nah, or Noire with Galeforce, since they can't normally access it. Because Donnel's mods kind of stink and clash really badly with Noire's (his key stat is Luck, her worst stat), the conventional wisdom is Donnel!Kjelle and Gaius!Noire. You can do the reverse, which leads to a somewhat stronger Kjelle at the cost of an apparently noticeably weaker Noire. I've only done Donnel!Kjelle and Giaus!Noire myself so I can't really give an honest comparison--just saying what I hear.

There are a few general things to look out for when planning over-arching stuff of this nature:
1. You usually want to get Galeforce on as many units as possible, because more GF units means more potential lead characters. It's not make-or-break, but more GF means more power, pretty much straight-up.

a. This leads to stuff like "never use Sully!Lucina" (the only non-Maiden version that can't get GF), and...
b. ...getting two of Kjelle, Noire, Nah to have a dad that passes down the PK class line--which means Gaius, Donnel, or MaMU as dad.

2. Yarne, Gerome, Laurent, and one of Nah, Kjelle, or Noire cannot have GF (unless including male Avatar), so you want to make them good at supporting.

a. This means seeking high passive damage boosts, as dual strikes can't proc skills, so (ideally) inheriting high base Str, a strong Faire, and (for the boys) getting Berserker and Aggression. Other passive boosts, like DG+, Dual Strike+, and Dual Support+ are desirable (e.g. inherited from Miriel/Cherche).

b. Therefore, Gerome wants a dad with Barbarian access, since Yarne and Gerome already have it. Henry is the preferred choice, if he's not needed elsewhere (e.g. Henry!Cynthia).

c. Yarne wants extra hit chance, which means looking for the Archer line, making Virion a good choice (though there are others).

d. Nah is generally seen as the weakest of the three "potential" gale girls, so she usually is targeted for getting a dad that helps make a good support character, and Vaike is a common choice (he gives her Axefaire access and very high Str).

3. If you don't marry the Avatar to one of the 2nd gen characters, you'll end up with 1 extra/"bench" 2nd-gen character. Given the above notes, Gerome and Nah are common choices depending on who gets which dads (e.g. Vaike!Nah vs. Vaike!Gerome). In your case, you have an extra girl (FMorgan makes 7 girls, 6 boys), so Nah can be benched, freeing up Vaike to go to a son that can use the Str boost--like Gerome.

4. Finding good fathers for the remaining characters is a matter of weighing costs and benefits. Generally speaking, you want both good mods and good extra classes (for skills or for use), but often you must settle for one or the other. Often, someone has to lose out, so it's a choice of who you'd prefer to work with.

a. First example: Owain can go either physical or magical--and be a good unit regardless of what you choose. For Mag, Ricken is a great choice: high Mag (+5) and two great class additions (Archer and Cavalier--the latter more for itself, the former for giving Luna). For phys, Stahl is very good; his mods are bland, but again, Cavalier+Archer.

b. Second example: Lon'qu provides excellent mods for Skl and Spd, so it's useful to look for a child that gets a lot of benefit out of the classes he provides too. LQ!Severa is a fantastic and diverse, if slightly unorthodox, unit with just about the best stats LQ can provide: +2 Str, +6 Spd/Skl, no "wasted" points in Lck, Def, or Res. She makes a great lead, and a pretty good support--all around good.

c. Third example: You'll often hear people singing praises of Gregor!Laurent. This is because he gets fairly good modifiers in all desirable stats (Mag, Skl, Spd), picks up two good, versatile class lines (Merc and Myrmidon), and thus becomes supremely flexible--he can be molded into nearly any kind of "support" unit you'd want.

So, to give one example--recognizing that there are many alternate, but equally valid, paths here--you could change things up to:

Sumia!FMorgan

Olivia!Lucina

Chrom!Inigo

Donnel!Kjelle

Gaius!Noire

LQ!Severa

Henry!Brady

Stahl!Yarne

Gregor!Laurent

Ricken!Owain

Vaike!Gerome

Whatever!Nah (bench)

This is a pretty sweeping change, basically keeping nothing but your fixed pairings. But it's a good deal more optimized as a result. Everything after Gaius!Noire can be changed around however without much issue, especially if you switch things with focused intent. For example, Virion!Yarne is a perfectly fine swap so you can have Stahl!Owain and (say) Ricken!Brady or Ricken!Laurent, or you could do Libra!Brady and Ricken!Severa if you want the latter Mag-oriented. Your Lucina and Inigo will be physically-inclined, so consider having them marry kids with a similar focus, e.g. Chrom!Inigo x Donnel!Kjelle and Olivia!Lucina x Stahl!Yarne. Morgan and Cynthia will be true generalists, with +7 Skl/+4 Spd, so you can have them marry pretty much any boy who can support them as lead unit, since that fat +Skl means extra proc chances. This group leans a bit heavily to the physical side, though, so making some swaps to get more Mag-focused units is worth considering. (As stated: every path, even an "optimized" one, has its issues/tradeoffs.)

Edited by amiabletemplar

Just curious, but what's the best asset/flaw for mothering Gerome?

Yes, mothering. I'm going to play the gay hack of Fire Emblem, so the difficulty of the game can kinda get tossed out the window at some points I guess. Shh, just pretend I'm playing a male Avatar...

But basically my usual asset/flaw is +Speed -Luck/-Defense. I'd say Luck is more fitting for an Avatar (I'm unlucky) but I adore Armsthrift.

Yes, mothering. I'm going to play the gay hack of Fire Emblem, so the difficulty of the game can kinda get tossed out the window at some points I guess. Shh, just pretend I'm playing a male Avatar...

But basically my usual asset/flaw is +Speed -Luck/-Defense. I'd say Luck is more fitting for an Avatar (I'm unlucky) but I adore Armsthrift.

Gerome's relevant base mods (from a "blank" Avatar parent) are +4 Str, +1 Mag (the rest don't matter). If you want to go for the biggest mod you can get, +Str/-Def is your best choice, and this Gerome will be a competent lead character (especially since, unlike normal-game Gerome, he can get GF inherited from the female Avatar). If you want the most flexible Gerome, +Skl/-Def is probably your best choice. If you go +Spd, you can take literally any support char that has a speed-boosting class, including Bride, and you'll make the 75 Spd breakpoint; without it, it's still possible, but your support has to be a +4 Spd or higher class, which means Assassin (or Falcon Knight/Great Lord, but those would be female chars). Unless I fucked up on the math somewhere, which is frustratingly likely, so I welcome correction on that.

No love for Henry!Nah? :Rei:

Not_The_NSA already said this, but I figure it's worth reiterating. Nah and Gerome are the two typical choices for bench characters when the Avatar marries a first-gen character, depending on whether Morgan is female or male, respectively. For an Apo focus, Nah is essentially down one class due to Manakete (ain't no Bravestones) and her flat/Def-focused innate mods (before dad mods) aren't particularly inspiring; lacking GF makes things all the worse. Henry doesn't really fix most of this, especially since he doesn't give access to the highest-Str class females can get (General).

Henry!Nah, as a unit, looks okay-ish by the numbers--a little too generalist with +3 Str/+3 Mag, but not horribad. The problem is the opportunity cost involved. By analogy: you can spend $1 and get a simple but healthy single meal, or you can spend $1 and get a lavish breakfast/lunch/dinner combo. The first sounds good in isolation, but compared to the latter it's garbage.

Edited by amiabletemplar

Well, for ingame +Spd -Def will give Gerome massive Str, Skl, and Spd growths and his Def growth will still be pretty great. However, do yourself a favor and make edgelord maskboy a Swordmaster if you can bare separating him from Minervykins, he looks hilarious with a fluffy collar and functions very well having Str, Skl, and Spd growths all above 60% while retaining a respectable 40% Defence growth, but that's not the best part. The best part is that he can nab Lancebreaker, Swordbreaker, Tantivity and Quick Burn all in his base class tree. He will be absolutely untouchable. If you wanted to get REALLY ridiculous, you could get Lucky Seven. On turn 1 with an S support Pair Up Gerome would have +50 Avoid before factoring in Gerome's Avoid.

Thanks for the help. That Swordmaster Gerome sounds hilarious, I'll try him in game.

I'd ask for more help but considering it's a gay hack, that's an entire new ballgame of stats and such. I guess the one question I can ask is...

Henry!Cynthia, any recommended things to pass down, or skills? Besides GF of course. I know Dark Flier is her best class with Henry as her dad too.

Thanks for the help. That Swordmaster Gerome sounds hilarious, I'll try him in game.

I'd ask for more help but considering it's a gay hack, that's an entire new ballgame of stats and such. I guess the one question I can ask is...

Henry!Cynthia, any recommended things to pass down, or skills? Besides GF of course. I know Dark Flier is her best class with Henry as her dad too.

Wait... There's a gay hack?!! Why didn't I know this?? *curls into a ball muttering something about the possibility of incredible stats*

Henry can pass the male only skills Axefaire, Counter, Despoil, Rally Strength, and Wrath, but unless you super want one of those skills on Cynthia for some reason don't worry too much about what Henry passes down because Cynthia can swing through any of his classes sans Barbarian, she gets Troubador instead. Cynthia in any form is best as an offensive unit, but just so you know she can learn Rally Speed, Defence, Magic, Resistance, Luck, Movement, and Heart so Rally Strength could be worth passing but the lack of Rally Spectrum makes her a suboptimal rallybot, and it's honestly just a waste of Cynthia.

Pass Despoil to Henry!Cynthia if you're grinding ad nauseum so she can pick-up gold bars, otherwise it doesn't matter because she can't use Wrath well and is incompatible with Axefaire as a Dark Flier or Valkryie.

But to be honest Wrath is a nonentity, anyway. On paper it's great but it's hard to get in-game without grinding since nobody starts as a Barb and post game there are much better options.

Pass Despoil to Henry!Cynthia if you're grinding ad nauseum so she can pick-up gold bars, otherwise it doesn't matter because she can't use Wrath well and is incompatible with Axefaire as a Dark Flier or Valkryie.

Axefaire is just a filler for Great Knight Cynthia. Though she could go for Counter to take advantage of spotpass team.

If these are your last two unpaired parents, Lon'Qu>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Virion by default. Brady already has everything he wants class wise, all he wants is Speed mods and Lon'Qu delivers. However note that other children may benefit from Lon'Qu more, such as Severa, and Brady will still do fine with Virion as his father. It's not that Virion!Brady is bad, it is supremely difficult to create a bad Brady, it's just that Lon'Qu is better.

How are these pairing even though I mostly did them based off of appearance?

1st Gen

Chrom x Olivia (Blue Inigo)

Avatar x Sumia (Light Brown Morgan)

(Light Brown Cynthia)

Frederick x Lissa (Brown Owain)

Stahl x Nowi (Olive Nah)

Vaike x Maribelle (Blonde Brady)

Lon'qu x Cherche (Black Gerome)

Libra x Cordelia (Blonde Severa)

Ricken x Miriel (Ginger Laurent)

Donnel x Panne (Purple Yarne)

Kellam x Sully (Black Kjelle)

Henry x Tharja (White Noire)

2nd Gen

Owain x Morgan

Inigo x Severa

Brady x Lucina

Gerome x Nah

Laurent x Cynthia

Yarne x Kjelle

How are these pairing even though I mostly did them based off of appearance?

1st Gen

Chrom x Olivia Best mods for physical Lucina, awesome Inigo, all around good

Avatar x Sumia Asset/Flaw? Both kids will start as Pegs so I'd plan around that.

Frederick x Lissa Negative Speed mod hurts in the postgame, but he'll be fine ingame with balanced offensive growths, easy Luna access, and great defenses. This combo suits him well as a Dread Fighter.

Stahl x Nowi (Olive Nah) Stahl is a great dad all-around, but he's better used on Severa or Yarne. However, Kellam makes a great dad for Nah without hurting any of the other kids.

Vaike x Maribelle (Blonde Brady) Resulting Brady is one of the few bad Bradys out there. If you want Blonde Brady go with Libra who suits him well and gives him Dark Mage.

Lon'qu x Cherche (Black Gerome) Not Gregor/10. Gregor gives him Vantage, Armsthrift, Sol, Bowbreaker and Axefaire while helping his Speed and actually boosting his defense. Also Gerome looks great with red hair.

Libra x Cordelia (Blonde Severa) You could use Vaike here for the same blonde hair while playing to her strengths. Vaike can pass her Axefaire and gives her access to Luna and Pavise. Solid.

Ricken x Miriel (Ginger Laurent) Highest non-Morgan Magic cap in the game, and Gregor is taken so solid overall.

Donnel x Panne (Purple Yarne) Waste of a Galeforce dad and Donnel doesn't have much to offer Yarne. Stahl gives Yarne Luna, Swordfaire and Bowfaire most notably.

Kellam x Sully (Black Kjelle) Donnel or Gaius are the better choices here, all Kjelle really wants is Galeforce. Donnel is considered better for Kjelle, and also purple haired Kjelle is fantastic.

Henry x Tharja (White Noire) Another common use for a Galedad, usually Gaius. I will suggest him here because Galeforce is just that good, and the boost to Speed he gives is phenomenal. I won't argue that Henry gives better hair though.

What would you suggest the best kid pairings for Apotheosis would be?

Playing a same-sex marriage/children homebrew like I said so untreaded waters, but there are usually better then normal kid pairings?

Namely, I'm debating on Gerome x Lucina, Noire x Brady, and Morgan x Nah. These any good?

2nd gen pairings are kinda just mix and match based on what role your units are in. A Physical unit usually wants a Berserker, Paladin, or Assassin, a Mage wants another Mage, a Longbow Sniper wants either a Luna Sage for big dual strikes or any of the aforementioned physical units for more offense. You can really just pair your children according to your preference!

Haven't done Awakening in ages thanks to Fates, but purely hypothetically/theory-crafting speaking, what would be the best asset/flaw choices (as well as class choice for the Avatar) for supporting the following spouses in marriage:

Robin x Cordelia

Robin x Sumia

Robin x Olivia

Robin x Tiki

Robin x Cherche

Robin x Miriel

Robin x Lucina

Haven't done Awakening in ages thanks to Fates, but purely hypothetically/theory-crafting speaking, what would be the best asset/flaw choices (as well as class choice for the Avatar) for supporting the following spouses in marriage:

Robin x Cordelia

Robin x Sumia

Robin x Olivia

Robin x Tiki

Robin x Cherche

Robin x Miriel

Robin x Lucina

Okay, I marry Cherche a lot and did re-ask something similar earlier. I'll copy/paste what amiabletemplar said:

"Gerome's relevant base mods (from a "blank" Avatar parent) are +4 Str, +1 Mag (the rest don't matter). If you want to go for the biggest mod you can get, +Str/-Def is your best choice, and this Gerome will be a competent lead character (especially since, unlike normal-game Gerome, he can get GF inherited from the female Avatar). If you want the most flexible Gerome, +Skl/-Def is probably your best choice. If you go +Spd, you can take literally any support char that has a speed-boosting class, including Bride, and you'll make the 75 Spd breakpoint; without it, it's still possible, but your support has to be a +4 Spd or higher class, which means Assassin (or Falcon Knight/Great Lord, but those would be female chars). Unless I fucked up on the math somewhere, which is frustratingly likely, so I welcome correction on that."

Personally I did +Spd/-Def. As far as it goes, the mods for this pairing were:

Cherche!Morgan, Avatar!Gerome
Str: 4
Mag: 1
Skl: 2
Spd: 4
Luk: 2
Def: 0
Res: -2