Ogre Battle

Swordsalmon

So, the Ogre games are my absolute favorite. I'm currently on my fourth playthrough of March of the Black Queen and working on The Knight of Lodis. Haven't played the original Tactics Ogre yet.

Anyone else care to discuss?

I played Tactics Ogre the remake, and honestly, it struck me as being "Final Fantasy Tactics, But Infinitely more cumbersome". While I think there's some validity to it being more cumbersome, I'm fairly certain I was way too harsh on the game (it has a lot of things that definitely appeal to me, like the multiple routes and the THIS IS A MATSUNO RPG), and should probably replay it sometime in the future.

Ogre battle 64 was good, it had a simple combat system.

But the story and alignment, class system was hard to understand, so I just ended up beating the game with 0 (forgot the name of the mechanic), on the chaotic alignment.

Ogre battle 64 was good, it had a simple combat system.

But the story and alignment, class system was hard to understand, so I just ended up beating the game with 0 (forgot the name of the mechanic), on the chaotic alignment.

Ogre Battle 64 is one of my favorite games of all time. The Chaos Frame is pretty hard to grasp though basically, depending on your alignment when you take a town you liberate or capture

You have to check the cities alignment.

70-100 ='s Lawful Unit Liberation

40-60 ='s Neutral Unit Liberation

0-30 ='s Chaotic Unit Liberation

Each Liberation gives you 0.5 chaos frame, capturing gives you -2

The best way to get unit alignments where you want them is to use certain battle tactics

Attack Weakest usually leans them to Chaos

Attack Strongest usually leans them to Law

Anonymous or whatever its called basically RANDOM leans them to Neutral the best way I can find

Attack Leader usually leans them to Law

Also killing lawful units will make you more chaotic and vice versa.

This bit was more important in the SNES game but killing lower leveled people also gives you more chaos, killing higher level units then yourself gave you law.

Edited by Folgore Red II

I played Tactics Ogre the remake, and honestly, it struck me as being "Final Fantasy Tactics, But Infinitely more cumbersome". While I think there's some validity to it being more cumbersome, I'm fairly certain I was way too harsh on the game (it has a lot of things that definitely appeal to me, like the multiple routes and the THIS IS A MATSUNO RPG), and should probably replay it sometime in the future.

tactics ogre is WAY better, everything final fantasy is just overrated to shit.

EDIT: except crystal chronicles

Edited by Boney

Tactics Ogre was made before Final Fantasy Tactics, so it's a little less refined. I still haven't played either yet, but that's what I've heard.

Attack Weakest usually leans them to Chaos

Attack Strongest usually leans them to Law

Anonymous or whatever its called basically RANDOM leans them to Neutral the best way I can find

Attack Leader usually leans them to Law

Also killing lawful units will make you more chaotic and vice versa.

This bit was more important in the SNES game but killing lower leveled people also gives you more chaos, killing higher level units then yourself gave you law.

The tactic used in battle doesn't really affect Alignment. Killing higher-leveled enemies is more lawful, while lower enemies is more chaotic.

In 64, the biggest overall factor is the initial Alignment of a character; characters' scores even out in their unit. So you can cause a character to drop it quickly by putting him in a unit full of Skeletons (Chaotic). Overall though, it's really easy to make Lawful units, while I have only a few Chaotic units and virtually no Neutrals by the end of the game.

The tactic used in battle doesn't really affect Alignment. Killing higher-leveled enemies is more lawful, while lower enemies is more chaotic.

In 64, the biggest overall factor is the initial Alignment of a character; characters' scores even out in their unit. So you can cause a character to drop it quickly by putting him in a unit full of Skeletons (Chaotic). Overall though, it's really easy to make Lawful units, while I have only a few Chaotic units and virtually no Neutrals by the end of the game.

It does somewhat, I've been playing this game for 12 years man, I noticed a bit of a shift. You are right about the alignment's evening out depending on the whole teams, but in the beginning those tactics can really start to shift them towards certain alignments.

I found it easy to make Lawful units like you because I ONLY used to do attack leader, when I started doing the others I had a bit more of an even distribution along with some creatures and recruits also coming in to help.

I've never seen much of a shift to be honest, though I also usually just Attack Leader. Most enemies in the game are Neutral or Chaotic and tend to have higher levels than your characters (Unless you're training or slaughtering absolutely everyone), so everyone ends up Lawful except for one or two dedicated Chaotic units. Kind of sucks too, because it becomes real hard to get the Neutral promoted classes. It can be a pain to get Dianas and Cataphracts especially.

I've already played March of Black Queen, Knight of Lodis and Let us cling together. They are good and a kinda hard too. They should make more TO game or at least remake and localize some old games in the series.

I've never seen much of a shift to be honest, though I also usually just Attack Leader. Most enemies in the game are Neutral or Chaotic and tend to have higher levels than your characters (Unless you're training or slaughtering absolutely everyone), so everyone ends up Lawful except for one or two dedicated Chaotic units. Kind of sucks too, because it becomes real hard to get the Neutral promoted classes. It can be a pain to get Dianas and Cataphracts especially.

I'd suggest trying changing it up sometime! Last run I did I actually managed to get a decent amount of Diana's and it was pretty great. I suppose another way to get alignment where you want it or classes you want you could also use the item duplication glitch for chaos urns and other alignment items, I only used it when I was younger though. Also sorry if I sounded a bit matter of fact, I've just noticed stuff over the years playing and I'm fairly sure I'm correct that's all ^^; it may have come off as arrogant

I've already played March of Black Queen, Knight of Lodis and Let us cling together. They are good and a kinda hard too. They should make more TO game or at least remake and localize some old games in the series.

I'd like to see more games in the style of March of the Black Queen and Person of Lordly Caliber its a bit more unique then Tactics Ogre in my honest opinion while I like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, I prefer the way the Ogre Battle games worked. Apparently there was one on the wonder swan called Legend of the Zenobia Prince. Which was a gaiden story to March of the Black Queen but as far as I know there is only one translation as of now and its not even close to being done.

It does somewhat, I've been playing this game for 12 years man, I noticed a bit of a shift. You are right about the alignment's evening out depending on the whole teams, but in the beginning those tactics can really start to shift them towards certain alignments.

I found it easy to make Lawful units like you because I ONLY used to do attack leader, when I started doing the others I had a bit more of an even distribution along with some creatures and recruits also coming in to help.

I just use the item duplication glitch on Urns of Chaos and Scrolls of Discipline to get my characters' alignments where I want them to be.

I just use the item duplication glitch on Urns of Chaos and Scrolls of Discipline to get my characters' alignments where I want them to be.

Haha I used to do that quite a bit, then I decided to stop using it and find out how to get characters where I wanted them legit. I found it a bit too much after awhile considering they also sell really well so you could have like infinite money pretty much ^^;

I dno I'm just not a big fan of using glitches to make a game easier on myself anymore

Edited by Folgore Red II

Haha I used to do that quite a bit, then I decided to stop using it and find out how to get characters where I wanted them legit. I found it a bit too much after awhile considering they also sell really well so you could have like infinite money pretty much ^^;

I dno I'm just not a big fan of using glitches to make a game easier on myself anymore

Well, I usually let them sit in my inventory rather than sell my extras.

I used to use the glitch a lot, though. When I first found out about the glitch, I would fill every unit with wizards and sorceresses (later upgraded to arch mages and sirens, of course) with Annihilation spellbooks that I bought from Alba with my infinite money.

It kinda broke the game...

Edit: Except for a few token lawful and neutral range units for liberating towns that were out of the chaotic range.

Edited by ClevelandSteve

I had the exact same opinion of the psp version, and to this day, I always say, the snes/psx version is better because it doesn't have all that skill/TP/job mumbojumbo, but alas it does have the W.O.R.L.D thing going for it so thats always a plus

I'd like to see more games in the style of March of the Black Queen and Person of Lordly Caliber its a bit more unique then Tactics Ogre in my honest opinion while I like Tactics Ogre and Final Fantasy Tactics, I prefer the way the Ogre Battle games worked. Apparently there was one on the wonder swan called Legend of the Zenobia Prince. Which was a gaiden story to March of the Black Queen but as far as I know there is only one translation as of now and its not even close to being done.

Didn't the gaiden story follow Tristan or something like that? I can't really remember

I'll get back into OB64 after I finish up ROTK XI, and some other things, but I've always wondered something, when it comes to the recruits/bucketheads, when they rank up, does it depend on how many fights they've done or how much experience they've gained? I can't remember how that worked

I had the exact same opinion of the psp version, and to this day, I always say, the snes/psx version is better because it doesn't have all that skill/TP/job mumbojumbo, but alas it does have the W.O.R.L.D thing going for it so thats always a plus

Didn't the gaiden story follow Tristan or something like that? I can't really remember

I'll get back into OB64 after I finish up ROTK XI, and some other things, but I've always wondered something, when it comes to the recruits/bucketheads, when they rank up, does it depend on how many fights they've done or how much experience they've gained? I can't remember how that worked

Yes it follows Tristan, other then that I forget details ^^;

ROTK is another great series I love to play ^^. Also Mushroomheads as I called them rank up by experience I... Think, I've honestly never been too sure on their rank up system. Even if I've been playing this game for ages now.

Well, I usually let them sit in my inventory rather than sell my extras.

I used to use the glitch a lot, though. When I first found out about the glitch, I would fill every unit with wizards and sorceresses (later upgraded to arch mages and sirens, of course) with Annihilation spellbooks that I bought from Alba with my infinite money.

It kinda broke the game...

Edit: Except for a few token lawful and neutral range units for liberating towns that were out of the chaotic range.

Hahahaha, those legendary spellbooks are so OP, I bet it was a cake walk when you had MORE of them :P

Yes it follows Tristan, other then that I forget details ^^;

ROTK is another great series I love to play ^^. Also Mushroomheads as I called them rank up by experience I... Think, I've honestly never been too sure on their rank up system. Even if I've been playing this game for ages now.

I'm glad that there is someone else who plays ROTK... and also, would you happen to know how long it takes for a young dragon to rank up?

I'm glad that there is someone else who plays ROTK... and also, would you happen to know how long it takes for a young dragon to rank up?

Usually Young Dragons rely on certain stats/alignments/element. So it will most likely rely on whatever stats they start with for how long it would take, although they seem to change around 10-15 to Mature and mid 20's or 30ish to Venerable for me

This page should help a bit http://ogrebattle.weebly.com/dragon-guide.html

Edited by Folgore Red II

That site helped me out a huge deal, thanks, it even taught me that the soldiers pool their experience

I'll keep it around for when I resume OB64, thanks again

No problem, I forgot the site mentioned the soldier EXP too. I guess I derped there, I knew it but forgot it kinda thing ^^;

I'd suggest trying changing it up sometime! Last run I did I actually managed to get a decent amount of Diana's and it was pretty great. I suppose another way to get alignment where you want it or classes you want you could also use the item duplication glitch for chaos urns and other alignment items, I only used it when I was younger though. Also sorry if I sounded a bit matter of fact, I've just noticed stuff over the years playing and I'm fairly sure I'm correct that's all ^^; it may have come off as arrogant

I'll try once I get a chance to start another playthrough. Two of my brothers are on their playthroughs currently. And no problem, you didn't sound arrogant.

I also want more games in the syle of March of the Black Queen and 64. I do like Knight of Lodis, but the emphasis on small tactics makes it lose a lot of the grand focus as the main Ogre games. I've played around with Legend of Zenobia Prince; I think the basic information is translated, and it played similarly to March of the Black Queen from what little I did.

Usually Young Dragons rely on certain stats/alignments/element. So it will most likely rely on whatever stats they start with for how long it would take, although they seem to change around 10-15 to Mature and mid 20's or 30ish to Venerable for me

Though to add, I've found that it's a lot easier just to wait until you can recruit Mature Dragons. You can get them at a high enough level to instantly mature to Venerable without having to spend that time with Young Dragons.

Though to add, I've found that it's a lot easier just to wait until you can recruit Mature Dragons. You can get them at a high enough level to instantly mature to Venerable without having to spend that time with Young Dragons.

True, I've heard that as well, I'd like to do it just to say that I was able to raise a dragon from scratch(self-imposed challenges, I reckon)

Eh, I never liked dragons anyways. They were pretty awful in March of the Black Queen, and I can't be bothered to spend the time raising a Young Dragon in 64. Much rather find a Thunder Dragon later on with enough stats to go to Quezacoatl.

• 2 weeks later...

Yeah, OB64 isn't like Pokemon. Adult and Venerable Dragons are found with stats as if they had been at their respective forms since level 1.

Of course, with the item-cloning glitch you can simply power up your precious early units to compete with the later ones. One time I let Dio's unit go without ever reclassing because I just beefed up his Amazons/Fighters. it was rad.