Association Football 2016-17: Força Chapecoense.

Parrhesia

Observations about the Women's World Cup; the USA are shit route one hoofball betas, Australia can only run for precisely 70 minutes (I think they're all semi-pros?), Switzerland was fucking robbed, the Ivory Coast is shit.

The matches are good, though, I'd recommend watching whenever you can. I'll at least catch Australia vs. Nigeria, though I'll miss them against Sweden sadly.

Stadiums looked pretty decently full, too - always nice to see. The tournament's logistics are a fucking nightmare, though.

Funnily enough, when we stopped playing hoofball, that's when we finally started realizing "Oh yeah, actually keeping possession helps"

• Replies 837
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The world of mixed squad friendlies, of course.

Don't forget, USA reached the Confederations Cup finals in 2009 so no surprise.

I caught as many of the games as I could, which was... the opening Canada vs China match. Kind of sad that that's it considering I live in Canada and all.

Canada's been a little disappointing, but Group A as a whole has 3 goals scored in 4 games played so idek anymore.

I caught as many of the games as I could, which was... the opening Canada vs China match. Kind of sad that that's it considering I live in Canada and all.

Canada's been a little disappointing, but Group A as a whole has 3 goals scored in 4 games played so idek anymore.

Canada's been disappointing? The USA's strategy seems to be "Hey, that long ball didn't work for the 50th time. Let's try it for the 51st time while we leave our most technical player on the bench"

SO BRAZIL LOST TO FUCKING COLOMBIA JESUS CHRIST

ALL THEY NEEDED WAS RENDER NEYMAR USELESS AND THEY HAD AN EASY GAME

BRAZIL SUCKS DONKEY COCK WHEN OUR GOLDEN BOY ISN'T PLAYING WELL

FUCK THIS WE WON'T EVEN QUALIFY FOR THE KNOCKOUT STAGE

Colombia played like every game in the world cup, with the sole exception of their game against Brazil. We won because we kicked their asses quite a lot, resorting to fouls and such.

We couldn't even do that.

Watching the USWNT is actually like a slow death. They've got no excuses, they're professionals for fuck's sake, and yet they're literally Hope 'Domestic Violence' Solo and Rapinoe + 9 playing ridiculous hoofball, fuck them, Australia is the greatest

Hopefully the knockout games will be better - group stages have been very hit-and-miss imo.

Watching the USWNT is actually like a slow death. They've got no excuses, they're professionals for fuck's sake, and yet they're literally Hope 'Domestic Violence' Solo and Rapinoe + 9 playing ridiculous hoofball, fuck them, Australia is the greatest

Hopefully the knockout games will be better - group stages have been very hit-and-miss imo.

If watching the USWNT is like a slow death, then I'd hate to be the team that lost to them 3-1

Sad thing is the USWNT has played other strategies that didn't involve hoofball and it worked even better than what they're doing now. Problem is, Jill Ellis is an idiot.

"Oh, Rapinoe and Heath are very technical players? Let's just have them hoof it up to Wambach and pray. Oh, and let's leave Heath on the bench for the ENTIRE MATCH vs. Sweden, our toughest opponent of our group. Yeah, that's the ticket."

Thank GOD we have a somewhat easy path to the semifinals at least. But if we play against Germany, Sweden, or France in the semifinals like we have been, we are going to get eaten alive.

Edited by Bullwine85

Brazil is going against fukken Australia.

It's gonna be a fucking hard game, the 2007 WC was already pretty damn tough, we got a late goal on a 3-2 win.

If watching the USWNT is like a slow death, then I'd hate to be the team that lost to them 3-1

No shame in losing to a team of professionals relying on a domestic violence-convicted goalkeeper while playing better football mate

That said, I've heard Japan is actually the worst value to watch of any team, with a plan of 'go up 1-0 and then pass the ball forever'. I only saw their match against Switzerland, but given that they managed to only beat Ecuador 1-0, uh... yeah, I'd believe it. I'm yet to see Brazil - should be a good match on paper, though.

Looking at the odds, Germany are 5-2 and USA 11-4 to win... with France third at 8-1, so, uh. The favourites are pretty clear-cut, I'd say.

Edited by Parrhesia

No shame in losing to a team of professionals relying on a domestic violence-convicted goalkeeper while playing better football mate

That said, I've heard Japan is actually the worst value to watch of any team, with a plan of 'go up 1-0 and then pass the ball forever'. I only saw their match against Switzerland, but given that they managed to only beat Ecuador 1-0, uh... yeah, I'd believe it. I'm yet to see Brazil - should be a good match on paper, though.

Looking at the odds, Germany are 5-2 and USA 11-4 to win... with France third at 8-1, so, uh. The favourites are pretty clear-cut, I'd say.

On one hand, I still feel uneasy about having Solo in net. There's a lot of controversy here about it, and a lot of people (myself included) felt she should have been left off the team altogether.

But at the same time, you didn't play better football because you scored less goals. The point of the game is to score more goals than your opponent. Not "play well, lose, and then insist you were the better side". If you had played better football, you would have scored more goals and therefore won.

So Japan has been going the "Spain 2010" route?

We weren't the better side, and the US deserved to win - though one article did claim otherwise, apparently - but I don't think it's contradictory to say that Australia looked the better team and played more entertaining football... for 70 minutes. And then died.

Yeah, though hopefully less beloved of the press.

We weren't the better side, and the US deserved to win - though one article did claim otherwise, apparently - but I don't think it's contradictory to say that Australia looked the better team and played more entertaining football... for 70 minutes. And then died.

Yeah, though hopefully less beloved of the press.

I still found it hilarious that the press slobbered over Spain in 2010 saying that their "beautiful attacking play" helped win them the title. Yes, a "beautiful attacking team" scored only 8 goals the entire tournament that year, the fewest goals EVER scored by a World Cup champion. With Japan, I haven't been too impressed this time around. Sure they're defending champions for a reason, but I don't see them defending their title.

So who here saw Neymar's maturity on the pitch against Colombia? Brilliant stuff really, exactly what people expect of a captain.

And Firmino's miss against Colombia, dear me, even Henrik Miss-kick-Taryan could have gotten that in; a crucial moment in the game

Finally, congrats to Leo Messi, who has made his 100th cap for Argentina! Hopefully he will be able to get some national glory before he retires

Still think we can get past China even with the way we're playing, and even without Rapinoe

However if we go up against France or Germany with the way we're playing now, we are going to get absolutely eaten alive.

Edited by Bullwine85

So who here saw Neymar's maturity on the pitch against Colombia? Brilliant stuff really, exactly what people expect of a captain.

Better than Thiago Silva's tears during the penalty shoot-outs during the WC...

Ospina is turning into Jesus Christ almighty here in Copa America. At least 3 miracles.

Meanwhile, the US were dominant in their victory against China with the exception of their finishing, winning 1-0. Could have been 4-0 easily, and Hope Solo was troubled so little she could have taken up gardening as a hobby

Women's World Cup semis:

USA vs. Germany

England vs. Japan.

Shame the Russians and Italians didn't qualify, otherwise we could've reunited everyone!

GERMANY DONE GOOFED AND SQUANDERED A PENALTY KICK

JAPAN FOR THE WIN ENGLAND IS MILES BETTER THAN THEIR MALE COUNTERPARTS THO

GERMANY DONE GOOFED AND SQUANDERED A PENALTY KICK

JAPAN FOR THE WIN ENGLAND IS MILES BETTER THAN THEIR MALE COUNTERPARTS THO

Only downside to winning the semifinal is that now we can't play against England on July 4th.

I predict Japan/England will be closer than people think, but England goes down on penalties