Berwick Saga Menu & Other translation help!

lckhoa

Hi Othin,

If possible than please include the item description on the list.

Note that the first line is using the same font as item and from 2nd line onward use other font so please separate them difference column.

It can be like ...

JAP 1 (for line 1) JAP 2 (for the rest) Eng 1 (trans. of line 1) Eng 2 (trans. of the rest)

Thanks,

Edited by lckhoa

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Okay so I want to make sure we're on the same page for the descriptions. For the description of the weapon ロードグラム (Lord Gram), most sources list the following:

致命+18%、攻撃数+1 (Critical +18%, Attack number +1)

奇跡の護符の効果 (Miracle Talisman effect)

Are these two lines the first and second lines of the ingame description for it, or are they the second and third? Berwick Saga lists three lines for the weapon descriptions when viewed ingame, with the first being a generic description of the weapon's current durability status and the other two being the weapon-specific description. I don't know enough Japanese to tell a font difference between the lines, so I'm not sure which is which according to the classifications you found.

If these are the two lines you find for the weapon's description, then I can get all the translations with my current sources. If not, I don't have a text version of the durability-based first line, so I won't be able to get those on my own, but I can translate them if you post them. They should be generic, so there won't be much to translate, making it easy, although it would be odd for them to be listed with the weapon-specific descriptions in this case.

Alternatively, if it's something else entirely, I'm sure I can work with that too once I see what it is. Thinking about it again, is the first line often blank, or otherwise generic? If that's the case, it might actually be just the name of the character or class certain weapons are assigned to. In this case, that would mean the first line of Lord Gram's description would be リース (Reese). If this is the case, it would explain the fonts better, since that text actually does look like the weapon's name, unlike the description text. This would be particularly easy to translate.

Alright I did the knives based on the visible part of the description, splitting up the two lines where appropriate to make sure. Is this an accurate display of the "two lines", and does the format work?

I want to be sure we're on the same page with the descriptions before continuing; I'll go back to the names in the meantime.

Yeah, i'll dump them all and post for you and everyone to have a look.

But may i (and other) have permission create/modify/insert on BWS Patching google spreadsheet?

It's easier for me and others.

Thanks,

Yeah, i'll dump them all and post for you and everyone to have a look.

But may i (and other) have permission create/modify/insert on BWS Patching google spreadsheet?

It's easier for me and others.

Thanks,

Sure, just PM me your email so I can add you specifically rather than making it publicly editable and opening that whole can of worms.

And of course if there's anyone else with you who needs to be able to edit, feel free to add them.

Im looking forward to this, just one thing:

バスタードソード Bastard Sword

XD

Is that a hexagonal grid? Wow, I wonder how they worked that out. I'll certainly play this if it goes through!

Edited by Big Time Timmy-Jim

Alright I took another look at the text dump and added a new "Misc" page to work on it specifically; I've gotten about a tenth of the way through so far. I was able to figure out the sources for some of the commands, but I'm not sure about some of the others, where I had to guess the purpose. And there are a couple I was just clueless on; if anyone has any suggestions for the ones I skipped over, feel free to speak up. If not, I'll get to them after sorting through everything else.

Hmm, I'm not sure what the difference is in the original text but anything could help make sense out of this.

Did you get a chance to check the "line 1" and "line 2" descriptions for any weapon? If you can post the original text of those for just one weapon, it should tell me what to do with the descriptions for all of them.

I'd like to help. My e-mail is smashfire17 at gmail dot com. My suggestion is to do something like the literal/non-literal columns to give some distinction between a "pure translation" vs. some more localized names where liberties are taken. "Withdrawal Protection", a chapter name, is A) misspelled and B) doesn't make too much sense to me, for instance. Also, this is just a passing thought, but the name "Dowd" reminds me of "David", because the katakana is ダウド and that's close to "Dawuudo" which in Arabic (not going to paste Arabic but I'm rather familiar with it) is the English name "David"... of course this is a somewhat shaky train of thought but with some more concrete thought and research it's possible we could get better names that are perhaps easier to pronounce or remember. There's honestly probably someone better qualified for this though so I'll prob just stick to proofreading and random-ish suggestions if you want any help from me...

Edited by Blazer

Added. If you have any ideas for cleanup or alternate suggestions (like David), go right ahead. But I want to be able to keep track of changes if anything gets overwritten in an existing cell, so if it comes to that, just make sure to say something, alright?

With names like David, I'm sure there will be some disagreements, as there are a lot of names to make and a lot of flexibility where people will have their own preferences. I really think we shouldn't sweat the details too much for now if we have something workable, as there are a lot of names to get through and there'll be plenty of time for adjustments once we have a working patch in action to look at.

ダウド is a perfectly legit way to write david in kana

I'm not sure I agree. My language bar isn't working now for some reason so I can't write kana but I've seen "dabiddo" "dabido" "debido" and some variations like that, but "daudo" doesn't even have the "i" part of "David." Dowd looks like a historically acceptable Irish name.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dowd

Of course it doesn't REALLY matter. Just sayin'.

well it probably wouldn't be my first choice for kana'ing david (i'd use ダビド which is probably closer) but i vaguely remember seeing one of my friends use ダヴド for david in a speech (he was a native japanese speaker although idk if i'm recalling correctly)

EDIT

this just in i'm good at noticing those two little dots in the top right corner

yeah ダウド is actually probably not david (i could see it but i doubt it)

Edited by CT075

I did make a point about the whole "totally illegitimate not actually thoroughly thought-out thought-process" thing XD

but yeah I think it's more important to fix things to work and be readable without glitches, find/replace can always tweak things as necessary later