PS1 Emulator Help

Naglfar94

Hello everyone of SF!! well I figured since many of you probabaly have one and know the ins and outs of it so how exactly do you get a PS1 emulator up and running? I treid to get one a month back and it ended in anger and me deleting it. I had been trying to get Tearring Saga to run on it but nothing happens so do I need a PS1 emulator made specifically for running Japanese games? or what? I tried epsx I think that is what it is called but these playstion emulators are so complicated to use and get started up :o the thing that got me was the various plugins you had to install if possible is there are more easy to use one around anywhere with less plugins and one that can run Tearring Saga with no problems?

Edited by Naglfar94

I guarentee that if you google the plugins that ePSXe asks for, one at a time, that they will be within the first 3 results of each search (Iirc you need 3). Once you get the plugins, it's seamlessly easy to use.

Pretty much all console emulators ask for plugins. Just search for them on Google and you should get them. I use PSXFin for TRS and that works for me, but it's not any simpler to set up than ePSXe.

I guarentee that if you google the plugins that ePSXe asks for, one at a time, that they will be within the first 3 results of each search (Iirc you need 3). Once you get the plugins, it's seamlessly easy to use.

Ah I see I`m not sure what to do now maybe I will try and download it again and hopefully this time it runs TRS

Pretty much all console emulators ask for plugins. Just search for them on Google and you should get them. I use PSXFin for TRS and that works for me, but it's not any simpler to set up than ePSXe.

psxfin?? I never heard of that one before I will search for that one I really want to try TRS but even this one has the plugin problem I`ll try my best and see what happens sigh hope it will work for me this time...

You will have to use plugins for the vast majority of the later console emulators. Be it Dolphin (GCX), ePSXe, 1964 (N64) or most others, you'll need plugins due to their infrastructure.

If you want somehting relatively plug-and-play, PSX (or PSXFin) is your best bet, but the compatability isn't there, it's out of development, and the developer refuses to release his code.

If memory serves, for epsxe, you'll need to have a system BIOS.The one I currently have loaded is 'SCPH1001'. I don't remember if you need a region-specific BIOS or if that matters.

Also, here's my messy plugin folder. The top-most plugins are the latest ones I used, last time I ran the emulator (last August). This was on espxe 1.70 at the time. There may be newer versions of these plugins, but I was able to run most games, including TearRing Saga, with these plugins.

L0yV0GV.png

As a note, the wiki structure of information has been super helpful for me these past few years in finding out how to get things working or how the compatibility is for software, emulators included. You might get lucky and find a similar wiki that has user-contributed info on how to get the most out of your emulator setup.

Also, here's espxe's website, with a page dedicated to setting up the emulator:

http://www.epsxe.com/help.php

Their forums are also worth checking out. It's where I found the latest plugins for my setup when I played last.

psxfin?? I never heard of that one before I will search for that one I really want to try TRS but even this one has the plugin problem I`ll try my best and see what happens sigh hope it will work for me this time...

pSX 1.13(psxfin) I think is the most recent. Only thing required is the bios and no configuration needed to run the emulator. I used it for awhile as my secondary emulator until I tried Xebra. Now I use Xebra or ePSXe. Xebra is a cycle accurate emulator with one of the highest compatibility but doesn't allow the use of filters or shaders like ePSXe.

thanks for showing that now maybe I can see what exactly i need maybe I was missing some plugins and that is why TRS would not run

If memory serves, for epsxe, you'll need to have a system BIOS.The one I currently have loaded is 'SCPH1001'. I don't remember if you need a region-specific BIOS or if that matters.

Also, here's my messy plugin folder. The top-most plugins are the latest ones I used, last time I ran the emulator (last August). This was on espxe 1.70 at the time. There may be newer versions of these plugins, but I was able to run most games, including TearRing Saga, with these plugins.

L0yV0GV.png

As a note, the wiki structure of information has been super helpful for me these past few years in finding out how to get things working or how the compatibility is for software, emulators included. You might get lucky and find a similar wiki that has user-contributed info on how to get the most out of your emulator setup.

Also, here's espxe's website, with a page dedicated to setting up the emulator:

http://www.epsxe.com/help.php

Their forums are also worth checking out. It's where I found the latest plugins for my setup when I played last.

pSX 1.13(psxfin) I think is the most recent. Only thing required is the bios and no configuration needed to run the emulator. I used it for awhile as my secondary emulator until I tried Xebra. Now I use Xebra or ePSXe. Xebra is a cycle accurate emulator with one of the highest compatibility but doesn't allow the use of filters or shaders like ePSXe.

hmm I see btw what are the shaders and filters are they important? heheh I`m kinda a beginner with PS emulators so all these parts of it I`m not familiar with yet.

Shaders and filters are not important but people use it to enhance the visuals of the game. You can use filters to smooth the sprites. Here is a link if you want to know about shaders. http://forums.ngemu.com/showthread.php?t=76098

Some games using filters and shaders does cause graphics glitches.

If you want the original PS look with high compatibility definately would recommend using Xebra. Also the only plugin necessary to run ePSXe 1.80 and pretty much any other PS emulator is Pete's OpenGL2 V2.9 and of course you need the bios scph1001.bin. All the other crap is unneccesary. Unless you have a PC from the stone age, you shouldn't have to use stuff like Pete's D3D.