My new hack that doesn't have a name and won't for a while.

Barney Calhoun

But yes, I'm starting a new hack. Now, now. Calm down. All of this forum's complaining members will jump on me and talk about how bad it will be and how It'll never be good and how it's not creative. I know that. And I probably agree with them. But, you know, I've gotta start somewhere. Basically I've got a lot of plot planned out, and one of the largest themes is:

Shamans are considered witches and are shunned from society.
Basically they're treated like they treated "Witches" during the era of the Salem witch trials.

(With drownings and burning at the stake and all that)

And no, I'm not a Shaman hater. In fact I'm anything but.

But yes, basically the first half focuses on this band of thieves and the main character is a new recruit to the team.

I'm going to need some learning in terms of eventing and things like that, wish me luck.

Thanks for reading.

Edited by The Heavy

I don't see how people will criticize your hack as bad if you still got nothing to show us, but the concept does sound kind of interesting. :awesome:

I assume you got the very basics of Nightmare down?

I actually quite enjoy the 'main theme' that you have in mind; I can think of a ton of things you could do with a theme like that!

Good luck and I hope that you get somewhere with this. ^_^

I actually quite enjoy the 'main theme' that you have in mind; I can think of a ton of things you could do with a theme like that!

Good luck and I hope that you get somewhere with this. ^_^

The main reason I came up with that is so that the Shaman characters can be aplenty and so they can cause a significant amount of development for the second part's main lord (Since he's royal and all, and how the other royals would just kill the Shamans, but the main lord gets all rebellious because they're nice people or whatever.)

I worded that really badly didn't I

You see though, the thing is, as much potential this may have, whatever you have in your head could be the next Final Fantasy VI for all I care, the point is you haven't done anything yet. There's nothing there, just your idea and the premise isn't alone to justify having a topic for it. That's the problem I have with you, to be honest, you're just like how I'd used to be, you'd make topic after topic with all your ideas, happy as can be that you've got so many things flowing through your mind and you'd drop project after project just to jump onto the next one, though, the thing is that each will get you nowhere, you'll just have a fist full of empty premises and a bunch of annoyed and displeased people who would actually have very eagerly enjoyed your finely woven tale had it actually been as such.

So take a hint and actually not make a topic but just work on it yourself a bit, when you can come back with some screens, a little plot and actually show this off as something to be taken seriously, then maybe you won't get as much flak.

You see though, the thing is, as much potential this may have, whatever you have in your head could be the next Final Fantasy VI for all I care, the point is you haven't done anything yet. There's nothing there, just your idea and the premise isn't alone to justify having a topic for it. That's the problem I have with you, to be honest, you're just like how I'd used to be, you'd make topic after topic with all your ideas, happy as can be that you've got so many things flowing through your mind and you'd drop project after project just to jump onto the next one, though, the thing is that each will get you nowhere, you'll just have a fist full of empty premises and a bunch of annoyed and displeased people who would actually have very eagerly enjoyed your finely woven tale had it actually been as such.

So take a hint and actually not make a topic but just work on it yourself a bit, when you can come back with some screens, a little plot and actually show this off as something to be taken seriously, then maybe you won't get as much flak.

Um... I got rid of Dark Days because really it did suck and it sucked enough that it wasn't worth improving.

Endless Adventure.... yes I know I probably shouldn't have even started a topic for it. Now could you shut up about the things I don't care about, and maybe say something worthwhile.

Yes I realize that there's nothing yet, why do you always complain about aspiration and ambition, how do you think everyone successful acted?

So pretty much, if you're just going to condemn other people's things for loose reasons, go away.

nickt took the words out of my mouth

as much as an idea has potential (which i think this does) it doesn't mean anything until it actually realises it

so forgive me for not sitting ont he edge of my seat

nickt took the words out of my mouth

as much as an idea has potential (which i think this does) it doesn't mean anything until it actually realises it

so forgive me for not sitting ont he edge of my seat

I realise that.

I realise that.

I realise that.

I understand that.

I understand that.

Now could you shut up about the things I don't care about, and maybe say something worthwhile.

So because you don't like what I said, I should stop because it's hurting your feelings? No.
You claim what I said wasn't worthwhile, well, I say it is.

Do you know how many FE hacks have been completed? Serious ones at that. I've been around since before the Event Assembler, before FE_Editor, back when you had to parse shit and everything was a hassle to do, you'd try to change a characters name but for some reason the parser would goof and the character's name would come out a letter short or some shit. Times were hard back then, so I've seen a lot of shit come through, believe you me. So when I say that something has potential, I damn well believe it does, but that's not enough.

You don't have any credit behind you either, all that I know about you is that you've got one failed hack and one failed RMXP game, of only one that actually had progress, despite that progress being pointless cause you didn't change the events, but whatever.

So pretty much, if you're just going to condemn other people's things for loose reasons, go away.

I'm not condemning your things, I'm saying that you should keep shit to yourself until it's at a presentable level, then you can, I don't know, present it? That's what these topics and this thread is for, to present your work and keep people up to date with your progress, garner feedback and criticism and thus deliver a better product. If you just want to dick around, then fine, don't take my advice, make a bunch of shit games and then look at games like Elibian Nights and wonder why you didn't end up with something like that. I'm probably sure Arch went through his phase too, I remember his old FE8 hack, that's going back a considerable amount of time, with that said though, after that he had FE4 Advance which in honesty was a disappointment due to the attention it got and then deciding just to collapse instead of actually being completed, so Arch has had his fairshare of shitty experiences, that's how he's managed to deliver a decent product in Elibian Nights.

Seriously, check out the first post of each of the hacks in my signature right now and you'll see that each is clearly presented and previewed, all simple, neat and easy for the viewer to get an idea, to see what it's like. Your topic however? Just a premise, nothing more. Your topic contains nothing more than what should be a message in Skype to a friend, bouncing off ideas until something sticks.

But yes, I'm starting a new hack. Now, now. Calm down. All of this forum's complaining members will jump on me and talk about how bad it will be and how It'll never be good and how it's not creative. I know that. And I probably agree with them. But, you know, I've gotta start somewhere. Basically I've got a lot of plot planned out, and one of the largest themes is:

Shamans are considered witches and are shunned from society.

Basically they're treated like they treated "Witches" during the era of the Salem witch trials.

(With drownings and burning at the stake and all that)

And no, I'm not a Shaman hater. In fact I'm anything but.

But yes, basically the first half focuses on this band of thieves and the main character is a new recruit to the team.

I'm going to need some learning in terms of eventing and things like that, wish me luck.

Thanks for reading.

the most common way to kill witches was to throw them to the ground and place a door (or something similiar) on them pile rocks on the door until the person died

Good luck, have fun.

That said, it'd probably be for the best if you have some edited chapters complete before you post again. If you produce something of substance, people can give feedback, and more importantly, the idea won't remain "in your head" indefinitely.

So because you don't like what I said, I should stop because it's hurting your feelings? No.

You claim what I said wasn't worthwhile, well, I say it is.

Do you know how many FE hacks have been completed? Serious ones at that. I've been around since before the Event Assembler, before FE_Editor, back when you had to parse shit and everything was a hassle to do, you'd try to change a characters name but for some reason the parser would goof and the character's name would come out a letter short or some shit. Times were hard back then, so I've seen a lot of shit come through, believe you me. So when I say that something has potential, I damn well believe it does, but that's not enough.

You don't have any credit behind you either, all that I know about you is that you've got one failed hack and one failed RMXP game, of only one that actually had progress, despite that progress being pointless cause you didn't change the events, but whatever.

I'm not condemning your things, I'm saying that you should keep shit to yourself until it's at a presentable level, then you can, I don't know, present it? That's what these topics and this thread is for, to present your work and keep people up to date with your progress, garner feedback and criticism and thus deliver a better product. If you just want to dick around, then fine, don't take my advice, make a bunch of shit games and then look at games like Elibian Nights and wonder why you didn't end up with something like that. I'm probably sure Arch went through his phase too, I remember his old FE8 hack, that's going back a considerable amount of time, with that said though, after that he had FE4 Advance which in honesty was a disappointment due to the attention it got and then deciding just to collapse instead of actually being completed, so Arch has had his fairshare of shitty experiences, that's how he's managed to deliver a decent product in Elibian Nights.

Seriously, check out the first post of each of the hacks in my signature right now and you'll see that each is clearly presented and previewed, all simple, neat and easy for the viewer to get an idea, to see what it's like. Your topic however? Just a premise, nothing more. Your topic contains nothing more than what should be a message in Skype to a friend, bouncing off ideas until something sticks.

Ok NickT I realize that this is just an idea and shouldn't be a topic right now.

You don't need to keep posting that same point in different ways, ok? Just leave. This topic will be better off without you now that you've made your only valid point.

If you reply to this, I'm not reading whatever you say, so don't even bother.

Thanks for the people who don't constantly look at the dark side of things for your support.

(And yes I know that NickT is going to say something like "I don't look at the dark side of things, I look at the practical side of things." So if that's what you want to say, NickT, I don't care. Really.)

Edited by The Heavy

Ok NickT I realize that this is just an idea and shouldn't be a topic right now.

You don't need to keep posting that same point in different ways, ok? Just leave. This topic will be better off without you now that you've made your only valid point.

If you reply to this, I'm not reading whatever you say, so don't even bother.

Thanks for the people who don't constantly look at the dark side of things for your support.

(And yes I know that NickT is going to say something like "I don't look at the dark side of things, I look at the practical side of things." So if that's what you want to say, NickT, I don't care. Really.)

Y'know, maybe if you actually had something up to comment or criticize, then I'd have spoken about that, I'd have gone into detail about how things could have been done better, the works. Fuck, I was actually working on a small little hack demo for Dark Days just to show you what you could have done to make it a serious game, but then you went and dropped it. You don't even have a name for this one, though, that's not even the best part about it, it's infact that you're actually asking for name recommendations, according to your tags. Everything about you is sloppy, and instead of actually step up to the plate and deliver you're just going to whine about how I'm going on about the same point the entire time.

Stop acting like a baby and actually go make some progress, step the fuck up or go home.

Also, it's Nickt, never once have I misspelled your name, you could at least extend the same courtesy.

Ayo Heavy, I'm gonna shed some light on what Nickt is saying, i suppose in a nicer manner.

You're building a reputation for yourself, where you get an idea for a hack/project, post a thread about it, potentially work on it, and then drop it. (cause it's happened twice in about two weeks time or so? i dont know exactly)

He's not trying to discourage you from hacking, or saying your ideas are bad, he's trying to tell you to actually make something of your ideas, because you've already shared two that you dropped shortly after.

And I agree entirely. The witch hunt idea seems cool, but that's all i can say. I'd like to actually see something come of this.

Posted · Hidden by eCut, August 29, 2013 - No reason given
Hidden by eCut, August 29, 2013 - No reason given

Also, it's Nickt, never once have I misspelled your name, you could at least extend the same courtesy.

oh you have offended me so much

The idea sounds like what I plan to do in Phoenix Saga, where magic users are all considered the spawn of demons who use otherworldly abilities and who are disliked by the general society. The high ranking ones who make it into the higher level of politics face much discrimination and the Paladin Order was erected in order to hunt down and kill the heretics. This comes into gameplay with Paladins having large bonuses against magic users along with high Resistance as well, among other things.

Ah just realized who made this topic. Ah, have fun then.

Interesting idea, best of luck getting stuff done. Whilst I can understand why people aren't exactly hopeful, it's a bit silly to go on a crusade. Take the idea as far as you can, although the success rate for projects here is generally pretty low.

you do realize that nickt is looking at the practical side of things as stated you made yourself a reputation, that said this is the best idea you should stick to it, if you have another idea, i would suggest fitting it into this because

a. if you keep restarting for new ideas you will get nothing done

b. you have 2 useless topics in rh already

the 2nd one is a bit mean but i'm serious about the 1st one, lots of hacks restart but that's because they improved significantly and the old work would be harder to fix then to redo