Dear Brits,

I was always curious. If you mistakenly call a flashlight a torch, what do you call an actual torch?

Also, how do you guys ask somebody for a cigarette without appearing homophobic?

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

We call a torch a torch, and we call them fags. There's a lovely little thing called context which eliminates the problems you mention.

Ah, alright. I guess concerning torches, though, if there are both, do you distinguish with any adjectives before the word?

Always found the differences between British and American styles of English interesting, at least.

Edited by Kngt_Of_Titania

I was always curious. If you mistakenly call a flashlight a torch, what do you call an actual torch?

Also, how do you guys ask somebody for a cigarette without appearing homophobic?

you're a fucking idiot

Ah, alright. I guess concerning torches, though, if there are both, do you distinguish with any adjectives before the word?

Contrary to popular belief, the use of a lit torch is not particularly common practice in Britain.

I'm not even sure what you're referring to by the torch question. Do you mean confusing a torch with a burning stick? Yeah, context is key there, especially given that burning sticks are hardly commonplace unless you're playing FE or LARPing or something.

As for asking for a cigarette? Can't help you since I've never smoked. Get asked for a light every now and again though.

Something about this statement being written without a capital letter strikes me as ironic.

@Shin: Thank you for being far more amiable to a bad joke. :D

You are a (quantity: one) fucking idiot.

Do you feel better now~

Something about this statement being written without a capital letter strikes me as ironic.

First of all, not really? Since Integrity is way less of an idiot than I am yet he almost never uses capital letters~

Second of all, that's more like hypocrisy and not irony, I think...

@Shin: Thank you for being far more amiable to a bad joke. :D

Brits are well known for their love of bad humour, just look at Ricky Gervais!

Contrary to popular belief, the use of a lit torch is not particularly common practice in Britain.

It was my understanding that those in the UK did not have electricity? Also, Victoria is still your queen. And if I had a perfect Victorian Era accent I would express as much to make this joke funny.

Brits are well known for their love of bad humour, just look at Ricky Gervais!

Ricky Gervais is hilarious. What are you smoking, breh.

Want to really piss off a Brit? Call all of them British/English. Scottish and Welsh people get real upset. Something about "pride in heritage," or something silly. :smug:

Want to really piss off a Brit? Call all of them British/English. Scottish and Welsh people get real upset. Something about "pride in heritage," or something silly. :smug:

To be fair, I'm not really upset, you're just wrong when you refer to Britain as "England".

but national pride that's never happened before

you're a fucking idiot

How do people not think, before they type, "is this flaming."

Not warning since I'm hoping it's one of those dumb joke things people do since they think it's funny to flame, but seriously. Whether joking or serious, don't flame.

Well, given your strange spelling of the words colour, harbour, neighbour etc. I do have to ask, what's up with "u?"

Edited by Mikethfc