Shatterlight - ver 0.1.0 released!

LunaSaint

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like this idea ^.^, looks good. I'm willing to do portraits if you give me some descriptions to work with and maybe help with the story and script as well since, you know, that's actually what I love to do and spend most of the time doing.

So if you'll have me, I'd love to help

I'm guessing this went unnoticed? lol

Didn't! Sorry, I've been completely without energy over the last couple days.

Zephias: Awknowledged. I'll get back to you. Currently writing up all the fluff I've established.

Edited by LunaSaint

Here are a few other things I'd like to mention:

1. The 'Lyn' sprite and animations are used for a female mercenary-type class, which is also a generic.

2. The Eliwood lord sprite is a placeholder for one of the lords- The equivalent of 'Lyn' in Lyn's Mode in the original FE7.

3. One of the other lords is essentially a female Hector, which will need sprite adjustments and stuff.

4. If the patch is released before all the sprites and stuff are done, we'll probably still be using placeholder sprites and mugs. I have the current patch, actually.

Wow I saw this topic and thought it was gonna be some new nooby project, this actually looks wtf promising :D

5. LunaSaint IS a noob. *SHOT* Edited by TheWarpedWizard

Here are a few other things I'd like to mention:

1. The 'Lyn' sprite and animations are used for a female mercenary-type class, which is also a generic.

2. The Eliwood lord sprite is a placeholder for one of the lords- The equivalent of 'Lyn' in Lyn's Mode in the original FE7.

3. One of the other lords is essentially a female Hector, which will need sprite adjustments and stuff.

4. If the patch is released before all the sprites and stuff are done, we'll probably still be using placeholder sprites and mugs. I have the current patch, actually.

5. LunaSaint IS a noob. *SHOT*

Heh. I've got one of them. Sain as a girl. Oh the irony :3

2 things

1. for inserting animations, have you looked at the ultimate tutorial it has pretty clear instructions

2. do you have full versions of those maps to show?

Edited by Wintersmith

Thanks for all the feedback~

2 things

1. for inserting animations, have you looked at the ultimate tutorial it has pretty clear instructions

2. do you have full versions of those maps to show?

1: Actually, I'd forgotten about that. Probably due to my loathing of all things graphical. I'll have to check it once I'm done with my fluff writeup; maybe I can save KoT the hassle of helping me.

2: Sure.

Pr.3x Pr.4, Ch.02 Ch.03 Ch.06 Ch.07 (Bonus!)

Most of them still need some work. I'd be surprised if Pr.4, Ch.02 and Ch.06 don't go through significant changes during QC.

Either way, Ch.07 will be the last map before said QC.

I'm no expert on maps, but I have a few thoughts for each of them.

Pr.3x: The tile transitioning directly to grass in that small outside area looks weird, and there's no shading at the base of the wall out there. It also looks rather pointless considering it's just a small patch of grass.

Pr.4: Follow the emerald brick road~, follow the emerald brick road~, follow, follow, follow, follow, follow the emerald brick road~! (Actual criticism: why are there random strips of green tile across the floor? Unless it serves a purpose beyond decor then it shouldn't be there or needs to be touched up, because it looks very out of place. Also, forest tiles don't belong inside.)

Ch.02: The town looks bland overall, there's a lot of pavement and little to break it up, not to mention the dilapidated housing feels monotonous. Needs more detail to make it interesting.

Ch.03: Now this one looks professional! Only complaint is the blocky patch of dense forest in the northern region sticks out like a sore thumb and the mountain tile across the road.

Ch.06: The fertile center looks good, but the sand's edge looks very... blocky. Then again, this might be from a lack of transition tiles.

Ch.07: Is this a WIP? I ask this because of the castle piece in the southeast corner... nevertheless, it's also a good map. Not too spacious, but not too narrow either. I like that.

Overall your outdoor maps look good to great, but the indoor and town portions need work. There's nothing wrong with including greenery indoors, but the application could use some work (again, forest tiles in such small spaces).

Yeah, I've tried using the different kinds of sand/cobble to transition into the courtyard (P3x), but had no success. it's probably best if I just make it another room. That would make the top wall easier to change too.

P4's green tiles do have a purpose, but the positioning/textures definitely need a lot of work, I agree. I'll be doing something with that northern room anyway, it's currently a bit of a trek to get there.

The indoor 'forests' are an intresting point. P4's map looks a lot blander without them, but you raise a valid point. I might have to fiddle with the tileset and change them to shrubs or hedges or something.

There are usually some lighter tree tiles, with I believe three trees. I think those are supposed to be used as random trees in the middle of nowhere when on an actual outdoor map, so maybe use some of those instead of forests?

Also, if the Lord can steal (hope I got that right) why not make him be able to loot as well, or place some enemies with chest keys. then you'd be able to place some chests to spice things up, and help the player a bit. Then up the chapter difficulty as compensation, making the player have to decide if he/she really wants to go for those chests.

Or making stairs/walls to make it look as if your fort-thingy has multiple floors. That helps loads in making indoor maps look interesting, though i see the problems it may cause due to all the grass tiles inside the map.

and I do think making the courtyard a separate room would benefit P3x a lot. it looks kinda wonky as of now.

Outdoor maps are rather nice in my opinion, however the top river close to what I'd think will be the player spawn point looks a bit straight. it works as it is, but making it less geometrical would not be bad. Top forest could be less geometrical as well.

On Ch.7 there are some areas (between mountains after the fort, bottom-left part of the map) that look kinda empty, so maybe add some more trees or a house. who knows

The destroyed village needs more variety pronto. try and check existing village maps to see which floor tile types they use and how. Adding more floor tile types would make the map less plain.

Edited by Zephias

The only map that seemed really in need to rebuilding would be the village--it's a tad empty/bland/uninteresting, in terms of gameplay.

However the rest of them seem fun enough to plan on, and moreover, their aesthetic reminds me of the Dragon Quest maps on the NES, as well as other RPGs of the era, which had transitions like yours. I really like it actually.

• 1 month later...

Hey, guys. I'd just like to make a post to tell you all we haven't abandoned this. Luna is working on balancing the hack's difficulty, and I'm doing the script. We also have a graphics artist, KoopaTroopa, who has been working on some stuff for us.

post-3498-0-16938700-1380383905.png

This is the mug KoopaTroopa has made for one of our Lords, a 'Scoundrel' called Lucien. He has the traditional lord stats of being fairly fast and strong whilst wielding swords. He has 6 move unpromoted, and 7 promoted. He also has the ability to steal from enemy units, like a thief does. He uses the Eliwood mug and field sprite until we put the custom mug in.

Thanks for reading~!

-Wizard.

Edited by Wizard

We also have a graphics artist, KoopaTroopa, who has been working on some stuff for us. He worked on the well-known hack 'Dream of Five' as well.

Unless he has another name to go by that we don't know of, neither cam nor I has even heard of this guy. Maybe Astra has, but I'm pretty sure the DoF graphics team consists of me, Astra, and Amelia and any mugs donated I keep track credits of and I do not remember this guy coming up anywhere.

We also have a graphics artist, KoopaTroopa, who has been working on some stuff for us. He worked on the well-known hack 'Dream of Five' as well.

a quick scan of the dof credits list and glancing through chatlogs i don't see any mention of this guy anywhere?

I haven't done any Dream of Five stuff guys :sweatdrop:I wish

I haven't really contributed to any hacks so far apart from this one... ok now this is really awkward

I do have a sprite topic though which is linked in my signature :)

Edited by KoopaTroopa