General JRPG question

zez4eva4

I was wondering how many people do all the extra things that always are in JRPG's but don't have anything to do with the story. Like the stupidly large amount of side quests in Final Fantasy or the Tales series? When ever I play these games I never bother because I prefer story over actually game play. I just skip them and kind of rush through the games on the simplest difficulty to get the story moving. Am I the only one who does this?

Tales of Xillia makes it really easy to find and track them. FF13-2 is pretty good about them, and I only really do them if there's very few ones with limited timespan (I would gladly do a few of those if they just don't give me many of them). But generally I avoid them because it's too much work; you're playing a game for fun, not for bookkeeping.

Stupidly large amount of sidequests? Wow, I don't recall playing a JRPG that had an absurdly large amount of sidequests. The only games that would come to mind in that sense that I've played would be Oblivion/Skyrim, but the purpose of those games is to just to give the player so much shit to do they don't notice how crappy the game is.

Stupidly large amount of sidequests? Wow, I don't recall playing a JRPG that had an absurdly large amount of sidequests.

They can be stupidly large and minute despite but they also have the ability to be absurdly tedious because of short windows to do them and the like.

The only games that would come to mind in that sense that I've played would be Oblivion/Skyrim, but the purpose of those games is to just to give the player so much shit to do they don't notice how crappy the game is.

I don't play these games but them's fighting words

Stupidly large amount of sidequests? Wow, I don't recall playing a JRPG that had an absurdly large amount of sidequests. The only games that would come to mind in that sense that I've played would be Oblivion/Skyrim, but the purpose of those games is to just to give the player so much shit to do they don't notice how crappy the game is.

If you mentioned Morrowind I'd care, but I never played Skyrim and Oblivion was so annoying with its scaling. Every enemy and every dungeon looks the same. How did all those bandits get full glass armor anyway?

It depends on the persons definition of fun. I get a kick out of doing sidequest related things. Not for the added length of gameplay but some of the stuff can be quite funny in a way. Or offer more development in characters.

If you mentioned Morrowind I'd care, but I never played Skyrim and Oblivion was so annoying with its scaling. Every enemy and every dungeon looks the same. How did all those bandits get full glass armor anyway?

And it is worse since wearing full glass armor doesnt help them much.

I'm a huge fan of FF series; however, I've never played VII, interestingly enough. I'm going through the story ASAP right now because it's garbage. Combat/materia system is pretty sweet, but I don't like much else about the game. I prefer The Legend of Dragoon pretty heavily (I only bring this up because these are the two that are compared quite often). Also, I hate Cloud (and starting to hate Sephiroth). I will not be doing side quests.

As I've been getting older, thus having less time to devote to video games, I don't really do sidequests anymore. Just doing the story takes long enough. But I used to be a 100% completionist unless I wasn't good enough at a game (Golden Sun 1 and 2, for example) to do it.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

Since I'm a completionist, I almost always do every side quest. The only time I didn't (off the top of my head) was in Dragon Quest IX, because the quest list is ridiculously large and I preferred grotto hunting/King Metal Slime grinding over quests since I felt I was getting more out of it, in terms of experience, gold, and items. There's also the medal quest in Dragon Warrior III GBC, which I gave up on after I learned I needed all the silver monster medals (and this was right after I got all bronze). I also try to go for a complete bestiary if there is one.

I'm a huge fan of FF series; however, I've never played VII, interestingly enough. I'm going through the story ASAP right now because it's garbage. Combat/materia system is pretty sweet, but I don't like much else about the game. I prefer The Legend of Dragoon pretty heavily (I only bring this up because these are the two that are compared quite often). Also, I hate Cloud (and starting to hate Sephiroth). I will not be doing side quests.

Stop not liking what I like

Stop not liking what I like

No one's more disappointed than me. :( I mean, I never liked Cloud but I always thought Sephiroth was so cool. And I really thought I was going to like the story. Though, if it's any consolation, I can say that The Legend of Dragoon's pacing is the worst I've ever experienced in an RPG.

Oh, one thing that I forgot to mention: this game's jokes don't fall flat. I've laughed quite a few times so far. Extremely surprising.

I'm a huge fan of FF series; however, I've never played VII, interestingly enough. I'm going through the story ASAP right now because it's garbage. ... Also, I hate Cloud (and starting to hate Sephiroth). I will not be doing side quests.

The story/character combination is by far the weakest of all the FF games I've played (though I have yet to play one after X-2 because that game was bad in a whole different way), but Cloud is easily the worst. I never did get the Sephiroth love until I got to Kingdom Hearts and he was suddenly absurdly powerful and actually difficult as a boss, but now I find he's not that terrible.

• 3 weeks later...

Wait how is Cloud worse than Cecil

How is that even possible

Because he causes strife and Cecil is lawabiding totally not Two-Face Harvey.

Final Fantasy IV is just asking to have Dark Knight references shoved down its throat, I apologize for nothing.

• 2 weeks later...

FF7's story completely explains why Cloud and Sephiroth are the way they are.

I dont want to spoil anything, but Cloud has alot of character development and is a whole different person at the end. And Sephiroth's insanity is pretty justifiable. Im actually sympathetic for him.

FF7's story completely explains why Cloud and Sephiroth are the way they are.

I dont want to spoil anything, but Cloud has alot of character development and is a whole different person at the end. And Sephiroth's insanity is pretty justifiable. Im actually sympathetic for him.

It takes an entire game for a shitty character to turn into a good one.

That's not good, the entire time I was rooting for Sephiroth just to kill the bitch and let it get over and done with.

He might be cool, or whatever later on(*cough*Advent Children*cough*), but as a protagonist? Zip, zilch, nothing.

That's not good, the entire time I was rooting for Sephiroth just to kill the bitch and let it get over and done with.

He might be cool, or whatever later on(*cough*Advent Children*cough*), but as a protagonist? Zip, zilch, nothing.

hey now, Square's later incompetence with the Compilation shouldn't ruin the preexisting characters

obigatory go play Xenoblade post

I don't know what game you were playing but Cloud wasn't obnoxiously aggressive after the first two hours of the game.

What constitutes a good character in your mind because I'm kind of perplexed

I am trying to wrap my head around the notion that someone liked Cloud in Advent Children but thought he sucked in FFVII and I am becoming physically ill

I don't mind if somebody dislikes a certain character or certain game, but not when you haven't even played the game yet and have just judged his character souly on YouTube Clips. Play the game, before you create a opinion. Otherwise it's just silly because you don't even really know the character that you claim to not enjoy.

I disliked Henry by his design and look and thought I was going to end up hating him alot, If I didn't play Awakening I wouldn't of been able to form a real opinion of his character and end up knowing him more and end up loving his character alot.

Sidequests in JRPGs are usually optional which is fantastic because if you don't feel like doing them, the game doesn't force you to do them. I usually choose the ones that include good weapons, items, secret endings, more character development etc Basically a Sidequest that equals in something juicy.

Edited by glenncoco

Game with 'stupidly' large amount of sidequests... It can only be Xenoblade... there were so many, it was quite the chore

Yes. Theres a load of them i actually enjoy, but i really dont like the Random NPC Asks For Random Number of Random Drops From Random Enemy/Map Item thing. The ones i like focus on named NPCs and their little stories. Those are cool. But this may be the JRPG ive played with the MOST sidequests ever.

As I've been getting older, thus having less time to devote to video games, I don't really do sidequests anymore. Just doing the story takes long enough. But I used to be a 100% completionist unless I wasn't good enough at a game (Golden Sun 1 and 2, for example) to do it.

FFVII has one of my most hated sidequests ever. Chocobo Breeding. Ass. I actually Gamesharked the Knights of the Round into my file cuz fuck that noise. I vastly prefer Legend of Dragoon too and ive played (and own) both games. Why do i like LoD more? Im not sure to be honest. Maybe its because the plot was a little simpler and was more episodic. Maybe it was because Dragoon battles were so much fun. I do know that LoD's aesthetic and art design was super cool. Rose's existence certainly helped too. Funny thing about Legend of Dragoon, it doesnt have very many sidequests. It has a couple which are really fun to do (and pretty tough...Faust...) but thats about it.

No one's more disappointed than me. :( I mean, I never liked Cloud but I always thought Sephiroth was so cool. And I really thought I was going to like the story. Though, if it's any consolation, I can say that The Legend of Dragoon's pacing is the worst I've ever experienced in an RPG.

Oh, one thing that I forgot to mention: this game's jokes don't fall flat. I've laughed quite a few times so far. Extremely surprising.

Sephiroth still retains a special place in my heart. Mostly for his big WTF moment with Aeris. (yes i still call her that. Im old.) Since that was a pretty bold move storywise, and i really didnt like Aeris to begin with, yeah. Sephy got points for that.

Bolded, yes, it really does. LoD is a very long game and the overarching plot comes to a complete halt at one point in the game. (Disk 2) That game is not without its flaws but i still love it. (also which was the game you were referring to about the humor?)

I like sidequests, but too many or too little can really offset things. Sidequests being optional is awesome. You dont NEED to give that NPC twenty bear asses in Xenoblade to progress. You dont HAVE to breed those Chocobos in FFVII. You dont even have to get Vincent in your party. Two games that had a pretty great balance of sidequests vs actual game are Tales of Symphonia and Chrono Trigger. Theres a lot to do thats optional in both games, but its a lot of fun to do them anyway.

Edited by Ser Florina

What constitutes a good character in your mind because I'm kind of perplexed

I know you didn't ask me this, but I feel obligated to answer anyway.

I'm so confused with whatever strategy SE implements with creating lead characters. It's like they don't want us to like them. I don't understand it.

Luneth was pretty cool, from what I can remember. But Ingus was cooler.

Cecil sucks.

Never played FF V.

FF VI is different from the rest of the series, honestly.

Cloud sucks for most of the game. In his defense, I don't think I liked any of the characters, to be honest. Except Cid.

Squall SUCKS.

Zidane is a dick-nose

Tidus SUCKS. Easily in my "Top 5 Shittiest Video Game Characters" list

Luna is boring.

XI?

Vaan is a bitch, man.

Lightning is Cloud but a female.

Have yet to play XIII-2

My definition of a "good" character is two-fold: 1, good depth (some characters I named above have depth, but!), 2, I'd be happy to know them in real life. I wouldn't want to know any of the lead protagonists (save III and maybe VI) in real life. They're terrible. Both criteria have equal weight when I layeth down my judgment of characters, pretty much.

This is probably shitty criteria, but I can't help it. I like who I like and vice-versa.

FFVII has one of my most hated sidequests ever. Chocobo Breeding. Ass. I actually Gamesharked the Knights of the Round into my file cuz fuck that noise. I vastly prefer Legend of Dragoon too and ive played (and own) both games. Why do i like LoD more? Im not sure to be honest. Maybe its because the plot was a little simpler and was more episodic. Maybe it was because Dragoon battles were so much fun. I do know that LoD's aesthetic and art design was super cool. Rose's existence certainly helped too. Funny thing about Legend of Dragoon, it doesnt have very many sidequests. It has a couple which are really fun to do (and pretty tough...Faust...) but thats about it.

Bolded, yes, it really does. LoD is a very long game and the overarching plot comes to a complete halt at one point in the game. (Disk 2) That game is not without its flaws but i still love it. (also which was the game you were referring to about the humor?)

What I liked a lot about FFVII is that I didn't need to grind. I love it when I don't need to grind. The final boss(es) could have been a little more challenging, but all-in-all pretty good.

Honestly, I like LoD more because the story is intentionally simplistic and a little silly. Oh, and it also features my favorite battle-system in any RPG ever. I don't know why I like it so much, but I do. I've played through LoD 3 times and I still have a lot of fun in the battles.

FF7's humor, in my opinion, doesn't fall flat in most instances. I know I stated that the story for LoD is intentionally a little silly, but I don't think the writers made any real attempts at humor in the dialogue or in situations throughout the game.

Edited by Phoenix Wright

I actually do not like the Final Fantasy series much if at all. The majority of the games in that series i played were either dull or infuriating. That series also contains my most hated game in the universe: Final Fantasy VIII. Grrrr....that game...i hate that game so much. Everything about it just..i cant. RAAEG!

I did like FFVII though to an extent. Red XIII exists and thats awesome. Im also among the few who enjoyed Pre-Advent Children Cait Sith. /shrug

FFIV was ok and had some good characters (TELLAH!!!). FFVI was pretty cool and held some great storytelling for an SNES RPG. FFIX was a little meh but not awful. FFX is when i put the series down for good. I didnt like that game (except Yuna) and pretty much threw in the towel when it came to FF. "No more." i said. Its kinda hilarious how my favorite game with the name Final Fantasy in the title was Mystic Quest. LOL!

Honestly, I like LoD more because the story is intentionally simplistic and a little silly. Oh, and it also features my favorite battle-system in any RPG ever. I don't know why I like it so much, but I do. I've played through LoD 3 times and I still have a lot of fun in the battles.

FF7's humor, in my opinion, doesn't fall flat in most instances. I know I stated that the story for LoD is intentionally a little silly, but I don't think the writers made any real attempts at humor in the dialogue or in situations throughout the game.

LoD's story didnt take itself very seriously and im not exactly sure if this was intentional or not. Its very hard to say. There are times where the game seems to be satirizing JRPG tropes but there are also times in the game where you wonder: "This is a thing? How am i supposed to feel?" The localization of Legend of Dragoon was terrible but also funny. Everything about Charle Frahma is just fucking hilarious. LoD has one of my favorite battle systems too. Its my favorite turn-based battle system next to Breath of Fire IV.

I cant remember too many jokes from FFVII to be honest. Its been like, a decade since i played that game. (literally) But i do remember Barrett being HELLA funny though. As for LoD and humor, Haschel's existence seems to indicate comic relief. Meru too at times. Its just not as witty as some other games that were around at the time. (FFVII being among them) Lloyd's battle vocals seem to be intentionally funny. "Too slow!" "Over here!"