General JRPG question

zez4eva4

Haschel, for me, was the Iroh character (if you're a Last Airbender fan). Funny, wise, veteran, and all-around awesome.

Barrett is comedic in that the developers were incredibly racist and I could do nothing but laugh at how stupid it all was.

Haschel, for me, was the Iroh character (if you're a Last Airbender fan). Funny, wise, veteran, and all-around awesome.

Barrett is comedic in that the developers were incredibly racist and I could do nothing but laugh at how stupid it all was.

Again, its been a decade since i played FFVII. Maybe one of these days, i should dust off my copy of the game and play it again to see what kind of humor Barrett was toting.

Haschel was pretty Iroh-tastic, but he also had his dirty old man moments which were funny. Haschel can also become one of the best guys to have on your team. The fastest party available in the game is Dart (Bandit Shoes), Haschel (Bandit Shoes can make him even speedier!) and Meru (with her exclusive Dancer Shoes). I took out many a boss with that team. That party with a Legend Casque on anyone, will make Faust cry.

I know you didn't ask me this, but I feel obligated to answer anyway.

I'm so confused with whatever strategy SE implements with creating lead characters. It's like they don't want us to like them. I don't understand it.

Luneth was pretty cool, from what I can remember. But Ingus was cooler.

Cecil sucks.

Never played FF V.

FF VI is different from the rest of the series, honestly.

Cloud sucks for most of the game. In his defense, I don't think I liked any of the characters, to be honest. Except Cid.

Squall SUCKS.

Zidane is a dick-nose

Tidus SUCKS. Easily in my "Top 5 Shittiest Video Game Characters" list

Luna is boring.

XI?

Vaan is a bitch, man.

Lightning is Cloud but a female.

Have yet to play XIII-2

My definition of a "good" character is two-fold: 1, good depth (some characters I named above have depth, but!), 2, I'd be happy to know them in real life. I wouldn't want to know any of the lead protagonists (save III and maybe VI) in real life. They're terrible. Both criteria have equal weight when I layeth down my judgment of characters, pretty much.

This is probably shitty criteria, but I can't help it. I like who I like and vice-versa.

What I liked a lot about FFVII is that I didn't need to grind. I love it when I don't need to grind. The final boss(es) could have been a little more challenging, but all-in-all pretty good.

Honestly, I like LoD more because the story is intentionally simplistic and a little silly. Oh, and it also features my favorite battle-system in any RPG ever. I don't know why I like it so much, but I do. I've played through LoD 3 times and I still have a lot of fun in the battles.

FF7's humor, in my opinion, doesn't fall flat in most instances. I know I stated that the story for LoD is intentionally a little silly, but I don't think the writers made any real attempts at humor in the dialogue or in situations throughout the game.

Play 5. If you like not grinding, 5 is amazing. Granted, I did the sidequests or whatever, but I was able to beat every dungeon no grind just by knowing a little game mechanics. I don't enjoy running, so I was happy I could kill everything I encountered without having to constantly run to a save point to tent or whatever.

I'm just a little obsessed with 5 and think it's the best gameplay-wise of all rpgs I've ever played. Characters and Story? ff6. But mechanics and stuff is totally 5.

Edited by Narga_Rocks

I don't know what game you were playing but Cloud wasn't obnoxiously aggressive after the first two hours of the game.

I k-kind of liked him in the first two hours of the game! He like, said "let's mosey" and stuff. But mostly "let's mosey". Never forget to mosey.

I am trying to wrap my head around the notion that someone liked Cloud in Advent Children but thought he sucked in FFVII and I am becoming physically ill

Dilly dally shilly shally!

What I liked a lot about FFVII is that I didn't need to grind. I love it when I don't need to grind. The final boss(es) could have been a little more challenging, but all-in-all pretty good.

Honestly, I like LoD more because the story is intentionally simplistic and a little silly. Oh, and it also features my favorite battle-system in any RPG ever. I don't know why I like it so much, but I do. I've played through LoD 3 times and I still have a lot of fun in the battles.

You don't need to grind in most of the FF games...

You don't need to grind in most of the FF games...

I understand why my post might seem like I meant otherwise, but I didn't. What I mean is I didn't like a lot of aspects of FF7, but I did appreciate the fact I didn't have to grind.

Sephiroth still retains a special place in my heart. Mostly for his big WTF moment with Aeris. (yes i still call her that. Im old.) Since that was a pretty bold move storywise, and i really didnt like Aeris to begin with, yeah. Sephy got points for that.

Ahhh yussssss.

That moment did feel good when he stabbed that Flower Girl from the behind, yeah, agree she was annoying.

+ 2 points to Sephiroth

Chocobo breeding yeah have to agree that was annoying too. Cute at first. But a little long and too easy to get the wrong Chocobo to breed with. Chocobo Digging in FF 9 was worse though. I hated that. It was so annoying to play for 20-30 mins to get a small Chocograph, then just dig- dig- dig- dig most of time and get nothing but a few Potions.

* cries *

Edited by glenncoco