Feline Map Commisions

Chocolate Kitty

Hello all, many of you may know me as just another random hacker, but I've always been a map maker by trade. Maybe something like a year ago, I started a small series of maps for commission here on SF(there were maybe around 7 or 8 requests I did), but eventually stopped because I didn't feel like I could reliably continue with the business.

However, as you can probably tell from the topic title, I'm open for business once again. I mainly do maps for fire emblem hacking projects, although maps for nothing in particular I will do as well(and they will obviously cost less).

Maps for Hacks include:
- .fmp file of the map
- .mar file of the map
- .png file of the map
- .txt file of any tilechanges in the map
- .dmp for the map's palette if it's a custom palette(yes I will make map palettes insertable)
- .dmp file of any custom tiles that you may want(if I can insert them. for example, custom floor tiles for castles I can do)

Maps for fun include:
- .png file of the map

Side notes:

- price range varies from $5-$20 US and is decided by both the size of the map and the tileset(custom tiles and palettes do not cost extra)
- maps will be completed within 5 days when it was requested(school work will take precedent though), map palette files and custom tile files within 7 days
- any revisions that are asked for do not cost anything extra unless the change that is requested is major(ex: changing a castle map to an overworld map)

I think that's it, pricing will be announced before I start work and payment is expected before any files are given(obviously I will show previews to make sure the map is going in the direction you want it to).

Blah blah blah, have some examples of the random crap I do.

chilly.png

not sure what I was doing here, that really blue section is supposed to start off underwater and drain if you hit the switch thingy.

i%20don%27t%20know%20what%20I%27m%20doin

my first fe5 map, I hate it and it looks like crap, so yeah :S

tanys%20i%20think%20its%20calledscrn.png

I may have posted this before but I forget, it's kind of old, tanys or tarnys manor? idk, it's Oliver's place from fe9

This%20is%20a%20map%20rightscrn.png

I don't really know what this is tbh

I had some idea about having the southern fort get captured by some enemy army and you have to go save them while at the same time keeping all the villages safe from pirate attacks(the villages only stay closed for a few turns, so you'd have to re-visit them. no you don't get more items).

%5B1%5DEntry%207.png

%5B2%5DEntry%202.png

contest entries *shrug*

Borderscrn.png

some kind of border map for two countries, I don't know why there are chests there

Edited by Kitty of Time

This would be a great service. I'll keep you in mind. Do you have a general price per map, or is it based on what the person wants?

Also, if someone could make maps on their own, but wanted someone to look them over and fix a few things, i'm guessing that would count as revision? What would you charge if someone just wanted you to look over all the maps they made?

In general, the pricing will range from $5-$20, depending on the map and what the person wants, yes.

Looking over maps, that wouldn't cost anything. Revisions on maps I didn't make would be like $2-$5 or something similar depending on how much you want revised and how much I actually revise.

Now people are using paypal or whatever to run revenue off of what is technically Nintendo/IS design? I have to say... this is amusing. Its illegal and legal action can be taken if they find out. However its not my hide so I don't care. If you can get away with this, more power to you.

It's little different than commissioning any other kind of sprite or art form. He's being paid for a service, not a product, despite a product ultimately coming out of the deal. We're talking human labor as opposed to the material cost for the final result of the labor.

I could understand this a whole lot more if it was akin to what you do, Aeo, in that you create things from scratch, it's essentially your product.

Assembly should never be paid for when it's still akin to being a hobby, if he was making his own tiles I'd be a hell of a lot more lenient, but he's taking IS' tiles and compiling them into a neat manner, asking for money for his service whilst the fact that I've churned out many maps in half an' hour flat and would never have thought for charging for them. I've helped many a people and held many a spriting 'shop' where people would come in and request things, never once did the thought of monetizing that crossed my mind.

This is a hobby, stop trying to turn into a way to fund your life, if you want to get paid for making maps, go be a professional.

Because making money off a hobby is something completely unheard of, right? He's not charging stupidly high fees for his service. If you look at commission fee according to minimum wage (which is ~$7/hr in the US, IIRC), he's pretty much not even getting that in most cases. He's not "funding his life" - you couldn't fund anyone's life with this kind of paltry pocket change. He's doing it as a hobby because he can, and if he can make a bit of money on the side, then that's just a bonus for him.

The key point is that he's charging for labor cost. Labor = service. It's not directly making money off those particular tilesets - it's the labor that goes into making maps from the tilesets that he's charging for. This could be applied to any sort of map tileset. He is not selling the tilesets.

If you don't want to pay him to do things, then that's your business. However, his services are still a viable option for those who cannot do it themselves, or those who cannot find someone to make things for them for free.

Edited by · j e a l o u s y ·

I could understand this a whole lot more if it was akin to what you do, Aeo, in that you create things from scratch, it's essentially your product.

Assembly should never be paid for when it's still akin to being a hobby, if he was making his own tiles I'd be a hell of a lot more lenient, but he's taking IS' tiles and compiling them into a neat manner, asking for money for his service whilst the fact that I've churned out many maps in half an' hour flat and would never have thought for charging for them. I've helped many a people and held many a spriting 'shop' where people would come in and request things, never once did the thought of monetizing that crossed my mind.

This is a hobby, stop trying to turn into a way to fund your life, if you want to get paid for making maps, go be a professional.

Because what I do doesn't require time, skill, effort, or anything of the sort, right. If you want to always do things for others for free without any way of knowing the work you've done actually went anywhere, go for it. Me? I've been doing this for years, and I'm tired of making a bunch of stuff for people, putting a lot of hard work and effort into it, and just having it disappear. If you don't agree, then you don't agree, but I'm not trying to "fund my life", who the hell can live off of $2-$5 a goddamn day. Not someone who's trying to make a living. No one is forcing you to use this service.

My gut reaction was just to continue ignoring these posts, but enough is enough. It's exactly as Miss AK has stated, it's an option for those who can't do this themselves or can't find anyone who they deem good enough to do it for free.

If it's a bad idea, he'll get no requests. If it's not a bad idea, he'll get something. If it's illegal, then I'd like to see what laws he's breaking (I won't have the final say on that issue, though). As with any business, may I suggest putting your prices in the first post?

If it's a bad idea, he'll get no requests. If it's not a bad idea, he'll get something. If it's illegal, then I'd like to see what laws he's breaking (I won't have the final say on that issue, though). As with any business, may I suggest putting your prices in the first post?

Ah, right, that should have been obvious, thanks.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Clearly this is a quiet quiet place, so I decided to throw all the random maps that I make here to I guess show off what I can do?

chilly.png

not sure what I was doing here, that really blue section is supposed to start off underwater and drain if you hit the switch thingy.

i%20don%27t%20know%20what%20I%27m%20doin

my first fe5 map, I hate it and it looks like crap, so yeah :S

tanys%20i%20think%20its%20calledscrn.png

I may have posted this before but I forget, it's kind of old, tanys or tarnys manor? idk, it's Oliver's place from fe9

This%20is%20a%20map%20rightscrn.png

I don't really know what this is tbh

I had some idea about having the southern fort get captured by some enemy army and you have to go save them while at the same time keeping all the villages safe from pirate attacks(the villages only stay closed for a few turns, so you'd have to re-visit them. no you don't get more items).

%5B1%5DEntry%207.png

%5B2%5DEntry%202.png

contest entries *shrug*

Borderscrn.png

some kind of border map for two countries, I don't know why there are chests there

I'll probably just put everything in the first post as well, and update that.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...