Who are the worst units in this game?

King Marth

Volug is good in part 1 even with forced Wildheart. I just throw Tauroneo's Resolve on him and he pretty much replaces Sothe's role so I can send Sothe to other places and also to do the thieving thing. However, in part 3 Volug's gauge management kinda blows. Same for ravens, in that it fills slower than tigers/hawks but expends just as fast. It doesn't help that Wildheart stats don't cut it, so you need to deal with the gauge against enemies who are way less chumpy than part 1's. That means he needs to be positioned in EP just so, and use up his PP to eat grass. But Sothe is also dropping off by this point and DB options are so limited, so I still get a fair bit of mileage out of Volug, especially if he got S Strike in part 1. Not as good as Jill or Nolan (assuming Paragon Jill and Beastbane Crossbow Nolan training montage in 3-6), but still useful. He's pretty bad by part 4 though, and most likely will be dropped.

My nominations for worse units in RD would be Ilyana, Meg, Fiona, Tormod, Vika, Astrid, Lyre, Kyza, Oliver, Kurthnaga, and Gareth. Ilyana, Vika and Tormod are actually okay in part 1, but Ilyana's availability is negated by being horribly underleveled for part 3 GMs with the worst magic type and terrible speed, and Vika and Tormod disappear forever only to show up with their part 1 stats. Other not-so-good units include Nealuchi, Leonardo, Brom, Makalov, Danved, Lethe, Lucia, Rolf, Sigrun, Bastian, Volke, Ena and on a 2nd playthrough, Pelleas. They're generally usable from the get-go without any special favouritism but they aren't really great either. Neuluchi, Leo, Brom, Lethe, and Lucia lean more to the suck side of things compared to units like Sigrun though.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

she caps speed and skill really early, and her strength and defense leave a lot to be desired. Also add Heather.

I actually like Heather. A LOT more than that boring Sothe person. >_> But yeah, compared to Sothe, she's *sadly* not as good.

As for one of the crappiest in the game, I'd say Black Knight. Have you seen that guy? Not getting hit in Part 1, then being able to be attacked by anyone later on? Terrible. [i'm using sarcasm, by the way. Granted, he's better in PoR, but still...] But with reality, I'd go for Micaiah. bad HP growth, ugh.

If you play loleasy mode in the land of BEXP Heather actually was pretty impressive. Way less so in Normal mode but since she exists with allies who have Disarm, she can go around doing the thief thing way better than Sothe. What she lacks in bases she makes up for in free promotion too. She's the only one who can nab Bolting if you rig her some strength levels and to be honest that's way better than the likes of any of the mediocre combat units.

Heather can steal though so shes not completely worthless. But she sucks the ass as a combat unit.

The worst guys?

Fiona

Lyre

Leonardo

Kyza

Vika (aww)

Brom

Danved (hes just kinda bleh)

Meg

Ena

Ilyana (being around forever doesnt make you awesome if you cant do much)

lolOliver

Poor Astrid

I think Nealuchi is ok but hes never good. Hes somewhere in the middle. Dude dodges everything, but sadly, cant do a lot of damage.

Lethe is kinda of smelly this time around.

The worst guys?

Fiona

Lyre

Leo

Kyza

Vika (aww)

Brom

Danved (hes just kinda bleh)

Meg

Ena

Ilyana (being around forever doesnt make you awesome if you cant do much)

lolOliver

Poor Astrid.

I agree with all of these units. That's my team it seems :P

I just don't know who I'll use from GM (probably Rofl) but I'll cross that bridge when I get to

it.

Edited by Mar Mar

Ena

If we bring up Ena, don't forget Gareth who has the durability of wet paper. If we're gonna bring someone to stand there to give +5 str/mag, we might as well bring the one who doesn't die horribly to magic in the last two res-favouring chapters.

If we bring up Ena, don't forget Gareth who has the durability of wet paper. If we're gonna bring someone to stand there to give +5 str/mag, we might as well bring the one who doesn't die horribly to magic in the last two res-favouring chapters.

Oh right. Well i tend to forget Gareth even exists.

Lyre, Gareth and Jill. Seriously, what kind of chump comes in with only 24 hp at level 14

Apparently taking both seraphs is acceptable if your name is Jill, though, so her starting hp is nearly irrelevant.

i disagree on ilyana being among the worst units in the game. her growths are average at worst, her caps are good, and her good skill makes up for thunders low hit. granted she isnt my absolute fav magic unit (which would be laura) she is far from worst and she is one of the only mages with a good defense growth and decent hp growth. also her speed growth is about the same as sorens, and if you give her decent lvls she wont be that under lvled in act 3.

anyway my picks would have to be meg( what good is a tank that cant tank?), fiona( literally no opportunity to use her effectively, shame too as her growths are decent) most laguz who arent fliers, leo, and sothe who i never could get to be useful

ilyana is somewhere between "utter crap" and "mediocre", whatever she is she definitely isn't shittiest character by virtue of exclusive rexbolt (although you can argue that you're better off selling it back to the merchants)

30 speed cap sucks though

I only played up till Part 3, but I never liked the Part 2 Laguz (Lethe,Mordecai) very much. They were just so...hard to use.

Although they weren't really that bad, and even people like Meg I can see as useable.

Wait Fiona. She's kind of cute, but OMG is she so fucking hard to use, it's a cruel world when a Cavalier is one of the worst units in the game.

Edited by Refa

Clearly the Fire Emblem fanbase has gone full circle and started overvaluing growth units again. Happy times!

Wait. People are saying Volug is bad now? When I last checked Volug was practically considered the best unit in the game. Did something change while I wasn't looking?

if people = 1 person then yes something did change (because as far as this thread is concerned only 1 person seems to be of that opinion)

lack of 1-2range isn't really that big a deal if you are barely fighting any ranged enemies to begin with (3-6 and 3-13 is full of melee enemies), volug makes a decent tank for part 1 even when halfshifted. bad? not really, even if you aren't taking him into endgame

When I was last involved in the FE10 tiers Volug was behind only Haar and Titania in terms of tiering and even implying that he shouldn't be used for any reason at all made all your points invalid, related or not. If people are even acknowledging that he has flaws it's a huge step forwards in my eyes.

Volug is a temporary character at best but with the units you gain access to in Part IV why would that even be a concern? Should Volug have AMAZING growths he'll still be less valuable than someone like I don't know...Nailah?

volugs growths are irrelevant because at best he's leveling up no more than once or twice, his exp gain is so dicks

Except on NM. If you really like him you can go Resolve/beatsfoe and have him kickbox stuff to death untransformed. Gets lots of levels and still has issues in part 4.

• 1 month later...

Sorry to piss anyone off but try a playthrough just by using laguz that don't get formshift the only reason why i say they are bad is because there un transformed stats are weak and even with the cat tribe there transformed stats still arn't great. So try that if you want to punish yourself