Top Five FE13 Characters

ZemZem

I feel like typing out my thoughts on my favorite characters, since recently and before that the cast of this game have been experiencing some rather lengthy backlash. FE13's characters, IMO, aren't that great as a whole. Future of Despair/Future Past may have had excellent characterization, but the fact that it's a DLC kind of hurts it since not everyone will be able to see it. Anyway, here's what I think:

1. Cynthia: Oh wow, did you really think she wouldn't be #1 on my list? :P Yes, I find her very cute and pretty, but that's not entirely why she has the first spot. Something about her character really interests me, and her backstory is more intriguing moreso than the other kids. The fact that Sumia's Pegasus pretty much told her her parents kicked the bucket and Kjelle taking a sword stab for her when things could've turned tragic made her personality completely flip, and they were definitely appreciated scenes of character development. Also her supports with Sumia and her father are pretty endearing, especially her A support with whoever her father was. She's also hilarious, as her supports with Nah, Yarne, and Inigo portray her in that regard well. Totally no bias here.

2. Brady: If it wasn't for waifu bias, Brady would most likely be #1 on my list. He, IMO, is perhaps one of FE13's best written characters, along with some others like Virion and Gregor. I really liked his portrayal in his joining paralogue, and his death quote if he were to be defeated before being recruited strikes a few chords in me:

Heh... A...burden till the very end...

I find it a rather powerful death quote, and his background helps its impact. Maribelle (a character I really like, though she's not on my list) is rather harsh to some, and she was to her son (well, before she figured out he was her son) after the paralogue ended and even when she recruits him. They definitely have a very interesting dynamic together, since they contrast yet fit together well. Brady, despite his shortcomings, wants to impress his mother as best he can, which can easily be related to. Also, his supports with whoever his father is is among one of the best parent/child supports in the game, with special mention to the A support. So many feels, and it's a shame one of the best written characters is such...a craptactular unit. :facepalm:

3. Stahl: Good Guy Stahl. He's one of the few characters in the game that doesn't have a rather irritating gimmick, since compared to the others, he's a rather Average Joe. Still, that doesn't make him uninteresting in the slightest. He does his best to help out around the Shepherds, and he has a good combination of rather interesting supports (Lissa, Nowi, Cherche) with humorous ones (Olivia, Donnel, Panne). His conversation with Inigo in Future of Despair 2/Future Past 2 also brings out a good look on his character:

[spoiler=Stahl/Inigo FP2]

Stahl: Inigo?! That's you, isn't it? I'm so glad you're safe!
Inigo: What? FATHER?! I must be seeing things... How can you possibly...
Stahl: You're not seeing things. But I'm also not the Stahl you know. I came from another world to lend you a hand. I may not be your father, but you're still my son...if that makes any sense. Here, I'll watch your back.
Inigo: ...N-no! Don't!
Stahl: Wh-what? What's gotten into you?
Inigo: I'm really happy to see you, Father. And I appreciate that you're here to help. But I refuse to put you in danger—even if you did come from some other world. I've already lost you once. Just stand back and watch me fight. ...You're in danger here. Go!
Stahl: Stop that, Inigo! You don't need to play the tough guy! I'm fine! I can take care of myself.
Inigo: I don't want you to!
Stahl: You don't trust me? Then I guess you've heard the stories.
Inigo: Huh? What stories?
Stahl: About how average I am? About how I don't stand out in any way?
Inigo: ...... Well, neither do I.
Stahl: What?
Inigo: Everything I do turns out average too. I'm completely forgettable compared to my friends. That's why I was prepared to sacrifice myself to keep them out of danger. Although even that turned out to be a middling success...
Stahl: You were ready to die for the others?
Inigo: I know—I'm a hypocrite. I told Owain not to waste his life, and what do I do? I guess I'm just selfish. But if someone has to die, I couldn't let it be them. I'm sorry, Father. Your son didn't turn out all that clever.
Stahl: He turned out just fine. And I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I feel like it's my job to take hits for the team. They tell me I'm too nice for my own good.
Inigo: You get that too?
Stahl: Heh... Oh, yes. Listen, let me fight with you, Inigo. Maybe neither one of us is the best fighter around, but together? I think we could get through this. We could get you home where you're needed.
Inigo: All right, Father. But promise me you'll be okay. I couldn't stand to watch you die.
Stahl: Neither one of us is going to die. I promise. We're going to be okay.
Inigo: I believe you. Things are finally starting to look up.
Stahl: That's the spirit. Now let's go get those Risen!

Even the most 'average' characters can have really well-written conversations, and that one is proof.
4. Yarne: I don't like this word. I really don't. But I think I'll have to use it. Yarne is one of the most underrated characters in the game, regarding characterization. Yes, his gimmick is rather overplayed, since he's a pretty big coward. But still, the fact that he looks past it as best he can to aid the army (his supports with Noire, Lucina, Nah, and Brady portray it well) is pretty rad to see, and rather realistic, in a sense. He's also the last Taguel, so you can't really blame him for having such a fear too much when you think about it. Aside from that, he's a pretty amusing character, and his supports are always quite enjoyable to read. It's sad that he doesn't get as much attention as others in this game, since there's more to his character than people give him credit for.
5. Olivia: "lol she's hot", "oh man she's a babe", and "hawtest fe dancer ever" are not valid reasons on why I like Olivia's character. Olivia's character is an interesting one to me, for a few reasons. Her gimmick, rather an odd, contradicting one, is a bit amusing by itself. Also I feel she's portrayed in a few of her supports rather well, and it seems some people kind of overlook it. Her interactions with Donnel were great, I found, and the fact that her support with Ricken reveals she's a storyteller, and a really good one at that, was an interesting dynamic. They might not be enough reasons to justify why I think Olivia has good characterization, but hey, I like her. So back off. :P:
So yeah. Oh, and honorable mentions to Lon'qu, Maribelle, and Nah.
Edited by Z the M

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

"lol she's hot", "oh man she's a babe", and "hawtest fe dance ever" are not valid reasons on why I like Olivia's character.

I love you ZM.

Her interactions with Donnel were great, I found...

IS... *shakes fist* WHY YOU TAKE OUT NAESALA AND LEANNE REFERENCE!?

I love you ZM.

IS... *shakes fist* WHY YOU TAKE OUT NAESALA AND LEANNE REFERENCE!?

I thought of you when I was typing my Olivia analysis and how happy you'd be. XD It's completely true, though.

IS is cray-cray.

I really like how you took your time to expand on this. You've also made me see things on other characters, like on Stahl. I've only played FP1, but that conversation with Inigo looks golden. It literally gave me the chills.
I also like Brady, but I'd like to get to know him better.

Olivia: "lol she's hot", "oh man she's a babe", and "hawtest fe dancer ever" are not valid reasons on why I like Olivia's character.

Since when was that a valid reason to like her, tho.

Also her supports with Sumia and her father are pretty endearing, especially her A support with whoever her father was.

me

I'm impressed. This is actually well thought out reasons for liking them. Especially for Stahl he deserves some recognition

Thanks bro. And that he does.

I quite enjoyed reading the reasons, I may come up with my own 5 list and why I like them

Thanks pal. And you should, it'd be interesting.

I really like how you took your time to expand on this. You've also made me see things on other characters, like on Stahl. I've only played FP1, but that conversation with Inigo looks golden. It literally gave me the chills.

I also like Brady, but I'd like to get to know him better.

Since when was that a valid reason to like her, tho.

me

Haha, thank you. I wasn't sure how it'd turn out, but I'm glad at the positive reception I'm receiving. :) And yes, the Stahl/Inigo FP2 conversation was amazing to read for the first time.

Brady's very interesting, and like I said, he's amazingly written.

I definitely think Olivia's attractive, I just think that just thinking that she's attractive and nothing else is kinda lame.

dad-in-law

Olivia is beautiful, but people would only say those kind of things and like Tharja for those reasons.

Also, I don't know if it'll matter, but Japanese Olivia x Henry is arguably the best support I've read.

Edited by bearclaw95

Good for you for making an actual good list that is coherant and has balid reasons.

Also brady is great

Thanks buddy.

Agreed.

It may sound shallow, but I started liking Brady because he just looks so bad.

Same here, bro. XD

His character just added onto it.

I love the explanation of all your top 5. I agree on FE:A characters getting quite the unfair backlash.

I would really struggle to have a top 5. I could never pick out my number 5.

Haha, thanks dude. FE13's characters, like I said, aren't as great as past casts in the series, but some characters are still enjoyable to see how they interact with others.

Well who are your favorites?

I am finding it annoying how people lately keep referring to characters as "gimmicks".

Gimmicks this, gimmicks that. No characters, just gimmicks everywhere. I take people are too used to wanting to feel they can relate to a character, or wanting to find them "realistic".

Edited by bearclaw95

I am finding it annoying how people lately keep referring to characters as "gimmicks".

Gimmicks this, gimmicks that. No characters, just gimmicks everywhere. I take people are too used to wanting to feel they can relate to a character, or wanting to find them "realistic".

I found Yarne rather realistic despite his overdone 'gimmick' of sorts.

When I say gimmick, I refer to quirk.

EDIT: I hope you see this, but thank you, Vash. :D I just figured it'd be a nice thing to do and maybe get some people to lighten up, and the reactions I'm seeing made my day.

Edited by Z the M

I feel like typing out my thoughts on my favorite characters, since recently and before that the cast of this game have been experiencing some rather lengthy backlash. FE13's characters, IMO, aren't that great as a whole. Future of Despair/Future Past may have had excellent characterization, but the fact that it's a DLC kind of hurts it since not everyone will be able to see it. Anyway, here's what I think:

1. Cynthia: Oh wow, did you really think she wouldn't be #1 on my list? :P Yes, I find her very cute and pretty, but that's not entirely why she has the first spot. Something about her character really interests me, and her backstory is more intriguing moreso than the other kids. The fact that Sumia's Pegasus pretty much told her her parents kicked the bucket and Kjelle taking a sword stab for her when things could've turned tragic made her personality completely flip, and they were definitely appreciated scenes of character development. Also her supports with Sumia and her father are pretty endearing, especially her A support with whoever her father was. She's also hilarious, as her supports with Nah, Yarne, and Inigo portray her in that regard well. Totally no bias here.

2. Brady: If it wasn't for waifu bias, Brady would most likely be #1 on my list. He, IMO, is perhaps one of FE13's best written characters, along with some others like Virion and Gregor. I really liked his portrayal in his joining paralogue, and his death quote if he were to be defeated before being recruited strikes a few chords in me:

Heh... A...burden till the very end...

I find it a rather powerful death quote, and his background helps its impact. Maribelle (a character I really like, though she's not on my list) is rather harsh to some, and she was to her son (well, before she figured out he was her son) after the paralogue ended and even when she recruits him. They definitely have a very interesting dynamic together, since they contrast yet fit together well. Brady, despite his shortcomings, wants to impress his mother as best he can, which can easily be related to. Also, his supports with whoever his father is is among one of the best parent/child supports in the game, with special mention to the A support. So many feels, and it's a shame one of the best written characters is such...a craptactular unit. :facepalm:

3. Stahl: Good Guy Stahl. He's one of the few characters in the game that doesn't have a rather irritating gimmick, since compared to the others, he's a rather Average Joe. Still, that doesn't make him uninteresting in the slightest. He does his best to help out around the Shepherds, and he has a good combination of rather interesting supports (Lissa, Nowi, Cherche) with humorous ones (Olivia, Donnel, Panne). His conversation with Inigo in Future of Despair 2/Future Past 2 also brings out a good look on his character:

[spoiler=Stahl/Inigo FP2]

Stahl: Inigo?! That's you, isn't it? I'm so glad you're safe!
Inigo: What? FATHER?! I must be seeing things... How can you possibly...
Stahl: You're not seeing things. But I'm also not the Stahl you know. I came from another world to lend you a hand. I may not be your father, but you're still my son...if that makes any sense. Here, I'll watch your back.
Inigo: ...N-no! Don't!
Stahl: Wh-what? What's gotten into you?
Inigo: I'm really happy to see you, Father. And I appreciate that you're here to help. But I refuse to put you in danger—even if you did come from some other world. I've already lost you once. Just stand back and watch me fight. ...You're in danger here. Go!
Stahl: Stop that, Inigo! You don't need to play the tough guy! I'm fine! I can take care of myself.
Inigo: I don't want you to!
Stahl: You don't trust me? Then I guess you've heard the stories.
Inigo: Huh? What stories?
Stahl: About how average I am? About how I don't stand out in any way?
Inigo: ...... Well, neither do I.
Stahl: What?
Inigo: Everything I do turns out average too. I'm completely forgettable compared to my friends. That's why I was prepared to sacrifice myself to keep them out of danger. Although even that turned out to be a middling success...
Stahl: You were ready to die for the others?
Inigo: I know—I'm a hypocrite. I told Owain not to waste his life, and what do I do? I guess I'm just selfish. But if someone has to die, I couldn't let it be them. I'm sorry, Father. Your son didn't turn out all that clever.
Stahl: He turned out just fine. And I know exactly what you mean. Sometimes I feel like it's my job to take hits for the team. They tell me I'm too nice for my own good.
Inigo: You get that too?
Stahl: Heh... Oh, yes. Listen, let me fight with you, Inigo. Maybe neither one of us is the best fighter around, but together? I think we could get through this. We could get you home where you're needed.
Inigo: All right, Father. But promise me you'll be okay. I couldn't stand to watch you die.
Stahl: Neither one of us is going to die. I promise. We're going to be okay.
Inigo: I believe you. Things are finally starting to look up.
Stahl: That's the spirit. Now let's go get those Risen!

Even the most 'average' characters can have really well-written conversations, and that one is proof.
4. Yarne: I don't like this word. I really don't. But I think I'll have to use it. Yarne is one of the most underrated characters in the game, regarding characterization. Yes, his gimmick is rather overplayed, since he's a pretty big coward. But still, the fact that he looks past it as best he can to aid the army (his supports with Noire, Lucina, Nah, and Brady portray it well) is pretty rad to see, and rather realistic, in a sense. He's also the last Taguel, so you can't really blame him for having such a fear too much when you think about it. Aside from that, he's a pretty amusing character, and his supports are always quite enjoyable to read. It's sad that he doesn't get as much attention as others in this game, since there's more to his character than people give him credit for.
5. Olivia: "lol she's hot", "oh man she's a babe", and "hawtest fe dancer ever" are not valid reasons on why I like Olivia's character. Olivia's character is an interesting one to me, for a few reasons. Her gimmick, rather an odd, contradicting one, is a bit amusing by itself. Also I feel she's portrayed in a few of her supports rather well, and it seems some people kind of overlook it. Her interactions with Donnel were great, I found, and the fact that her support with Ricken reveals she's a storyteller, and a really good one at that, was an interesting dynamic. They might not be enough reasons to justify why I think Olivia has good characterization, but hey, I like her. So back off. :P:
So yeah. Oh, and honorable mentions to Lon'qu, Maribelle, and Nah.

You just gained so much more respect from me. Well done.