FE6 HM - No HM bonus chars

Irysa

Yeah you read that right. I hate HM bonuses existing, they're stupid. So I figured I'd man up and try a run with no HM bonuses allowed!

Rules.

1. Rutger, Fir, Shin, Gonzales, Klein, Tate, Miledy, Zeiss, Garret and Cath cannot be used. They can be recruited, but I might kill some off to save effort (fuck Cath seriously). Percival does not get HM bonuses on chapter 13, and is therefore allowed.

2. No Arena Abuse. Nobody is allowed to get more than 100 exp at an arena per chapter.

3. Must get the true ending (all gaidens etc)

4. I will draw RNs for hits I deem important. (reset chapter save exact inputs to when I need to do something etc) and I'll try to make a note of everytime I did it and why. I won't draw RNs for growths but I'll restart and turn order change near map starts to get better growths if possible. I'm not savestate rigging or anything here.

Will I hate myself for doing this? Probably. I have the first couple of chapters done, but those are mostly irrelevant due to the fact none of those units are present anyway.

[spoiler=Chapter List] Chapters 1, 2, 3

Chapter 4

Chapter 5

Chapter 6

Chapter 7

Chapter 8

Chapter 8x

Chapter 9

Chapter 10

Chapter 11

Chapter 12

Chaper 12x

Chapter 13

Chapter 14

Chapter 14x

Chapter 15

Chapter 16

Chapter 17

Chapter 18

Chapter 19

Chapter 20

Chapter 20x

Chapter 21

Chapter 21x

Chapter 22

Chapter 23

Chapter 24/Final

Thoughts on the this:

Dieck will actually get to use the first hero crest for once. He'll have to step up a lot to make up for no Rutger but speed aside he should manage. Oujay also now only really contesting with Geese for promotion, so he can be used. I'm not sold on Wade and Lott personally, maybe Lott? Experience tells me Geese is a better unit.

Echidna vs Bartre seems a no brainer but Bartre has 22 strength and nobody else is getting near that without HM bonuses for a really long time. He has D bows too...I've never used him before, can't really speak to his effectiveness.

Ilia seems more likely than Sacae. Igrene and Cecila would be hugely useful there, and they'll be some of my better units in this run. Might depend on how much exp I can feed Thany, or if I actually give Sue attention. I like Dorothy over Sue, even though Sue is mounted. Might use both but would really like to avoid Sacae...

Thany is going to be my only flier. Dear god. She'll really want an early promotion but she also needs all the exp she can get to not suck. Statboosters are almostly certainly going her way.

Knight Crest situation didn't change at all so Alance still get priority when it comes.

Guiding Ring situation is still bad. Saul probably gets promoted really fast since he's speedy, has decent mag, can use warp, and supports Dorothy,who will be more important than usual. Dorothy supp is pretty fast too, and his Ice affinity helps with critical evade a bit. Clarine has zero support options with Rutger off the table but is still a fast mounted staffbot. Not 100% sure if Lugh or Clarine gets the second ring. His Ellen support would be nice but she's a lost cause at anything but staffbotting, which Clarine is doing better. Lilina's cute and I like her quick A support with Roy, but I really don't know if I can actually get any use out of her, especially since Saul is probably promoting early. Ray's con hurts him so much and he's probably not fast enough by the time he joins to be relevant. So many of these magic users would be more usable if there were simply more early guiding rings to go around...

Edited by Irysa

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Three of the game's best characters (Rutger, Miledy and Percival) benefit from HM bonuses so this should prove to be pretty challenging (a run starring these three isn't exactly a walk in the park either to say the least).

You still have Marcus and Zealot for the early chapters, and depending how fast you go, Alan and Lance may or may not wallop the game.

I'd recommend promoting Saul first because he has the Warp range to skip some of the toughest midgame maps (namely 16x, as 14x can be cleared quickly without any Warp).

I'd advise against training Oujay. It's a luxury to be a foot unit in this game and very few can justify being carried around like that (Rutger and staffers, plus Roy who needs to seize), and Oujay simply doesn't impress under any conditions, especially on HM. You can buy Boots and other stat boosters in this game, so sell the second Hero Crest.

As for the missing Top/High tier units:

Rutger - can be replaced by Dieck for a while, until Allence catch up (if at all).

Shin - Sue is a genuinely good character that's worthy of training.

Miledy - Zeiss is essentially a slower Miledy who comes late and promotes late. Oh wait, Zeiss also gets bonuses! Then go all out with Thany - one flier is often not enough, and if you don't get crazy blessed you'll have to take longer in many maps.

I knew I forgot someone. Zeiss is banned too, he gets bonuses. Oujay is pretty easy to train but I forgot how bad his bases were compared to Dieck...that and much later recruitment. Blagh yeah, probably not worth the effort. I consider Geese salvagable due to his Brave Axe that nobody else will be able to use. Actually I forgot that thing is dependant on route ugh, I also don't properly remember which one you get it in...hang on.

Okay nevermind, Echidna can definitely use it over Geese. And Bartre can't have it since Geese doesn't have it in B route. Lame.

Training Sue might mean I end up in Sacae. Unless I balance the books well between Thany and Sue, things might get problematic. I think Sue gets weighed down by killers before promotion too? Still, having a mount is a huge plus.

Edited by Irysa

sue can't use killers before promo anyway (since in all likelihood you might reach level 10 before reaching C bows lol). an NT is still a very nice asset to have in this game, though. it's not just the effectiveness against fliers, but they're way better at just individually picking off enemies due to high spd and better ranged accuracy than paladins.

i think that you shouldn't have too much of a problem tipping the books in shanna's favor. on my 0% growths run i have shanna at L4.00 going into chapter 7. realize that this has the potential to be a bit higher if growths were involved and she were able to do some tasks without requiring a ton of help. sue joins at L1 in chapter 6 and she'll realistically see no combat until chapter 7. shanna should have at least a 3 level lead, more if you have the benefit of growths and if you are not trying to LTC. while both have their merits (shanna is better at gaining EP EXP while sue is better at gaining PP EXP), i think that if you find the opportunities to siphon EXP into shanna to give her a head start, ilia should be a given.

to address other points in your above posts:

- recruiting percival in chapter 13 is almost trivial. it's possible to complete the chapter before he leaves the map. so percival should be fair game.

- if you are aiming for turncounts, don't bother with a second hero crest user or an infantry bow user. the EXP is just not going to come. even in 0% LTC, just rutger is enough. echidna or bartre are good infantry filler, plus igrene comes later on.

- dump as much EXP as you can into a cavalier because the knight crests are spaced very far apart. i would hazard to say that the second knight crest is not worth it; however, you have only one flier, so it's more likely to be worth it. anyway the point is that if you decide to invest in both allen and lance, focus a lot more on one of them first to maximize the utility of early promotion, but keep the other one viable enough to take EXP until the second knight crest comes around.

- if you are aiming for turncounts, clarine will take forever to promote. you might enjoy using lugh since he is very useful early on (whether he gains EXP quickly is a different question since he'll be chipping more than killing usually). lilina is never going to be good at all and i would say the same for ray.

- elphin route takes longer and it costs maybe an extra turn to visit the village in chapter 9 that sends you to elphin route. echidna is generally accepted to be better, but i also don't think that you'll be too disappointed with bartre.

hopefully that clears some things up. i don't think that there are as many dilemmas as you make it out to be, but i also have way more experience with the game, so i can say these things with a good deal of confidence.

Bartre comes with the brave axe, and geese comes in the same chapter too.

oh, and you can turn off HM bonuses via nightmare iirc.

Yeah but Miledy still shits on the game even with NM stats to be honest. This is a little more interesting.

*snip*

I'm not "strictly" aiming for turncounts (sorry, I'm bad, and as you can probably tell I don't know my limits well), not going super slow would be nice, but I will probably take a bit longer than usual on a couple of chapters to feed some more exp around. This is some good advice though, thanks. I think I'll try to give Alance equalish exp until chapter 4 or so and see who's starting off better before I decide on who gets the first crest. Is getting Percival on ch 13 really that easy? I thought Lalum had to dodge like 5 pretty high hitrates or something. I'm not entirely decided if I'll use him anyway since he's pretty good even without HM bonuses. I guess we'll see when I get there.

Edited by Irysa

Rutger without bonuses in HM would still double nearly everything and have hearty crit once promoted. Str could be a problem though, you're at the mercy of the RNG to if he can get 2 or 3 str procs quickly I'd imagine, and he's not getting crit rigged. I "think" Dieck should outdo him unless he gets speed screwed (mine is already 12 speed at chapter 4), they both have the best accuracy for hitting throne enemies due to great skill and swords.

Vanilla!Zeiss has 8 speed at chapter 16 and a 35% speed growth. He does have good str and def though...

I think I'll probably just stick to not using them, undecided on Percival. If Alan or Lance end up screwed I guess I'll try to grab him early. Thany is gonna be getting tons of statboosters so it's unlikely she'll be bad. It sort of freshens up the run a bit since I've not actually played FE6 HM without any of those units before, Might give the spotlight to some other units.

I recorded 2 chapters with fraps (because VBA recording lags) but the filesize is just ridiculous. I think I'm going to just stream stuff then set it to upload to YT from there, saves me HD space.

I don't want to spam the thread when I'm streaming so I'll just make a note to tweet before I start streaming/attempting (if anyone actually cares lol)

[spoiler=Ch1]

Not much to say. I burnt RNs randomly at the start (don't remember how many) because Marcus has a tendancy to get hit if you mash skip through the introduction. Lance and Alan both got good level ups, Roy's was okay.

[spoiler=Ch2]

Roy has a certified crit if you skip all the intro on Ch2, and a good level up. I burnt some RNs to make sure Thany could hit with her Javelin early on, and others to make sure Marcus and Dieck hit the boss. Alan got a good level up, Lance chumped out and got HP. Dieck got speed and str between two levelups, Thany got str and speed (yesss)

[spoiler=Ch3]

This video isn't embedding properly.

Burnt 4 RNs so Marcus could hit the archer on EP turn 1. Roy and Lance got str, Alan got another HP chump level up. Alance are pretty even right now. The next chapter is probably make or break on who is getting the brunt of EXP. Thany got def and res. Dieck is a god and got hp str speed luck and res. I fucked up and didn't put Roy in range of the throne on the last turn for Chad to open the other Chest :facepalm:

Edited by Irysa

I think I'll probably just stick to not using them, undecided on Percival. If Alan or Lance end up screwed I guess I'll try to grab him early. Thany is gonna be getting tons of statboosters so it's unlikely she'll be bad. It sort of freshens up the run a bit since I've not actually played FE6 HM without any of those units before, Might give the spotlight to some other units.

i don't know why you are still undecided on chapter 13 percival. he clearly has no HM bonuses, therefore he's fair game. he is substantially worse, though still pretty good.

I guess you're right. He's not like MIledy with absurd growths and promo gains to put him into godliness even if he has his NM stats.

I forgot the exact tile Rutger spawns on on ch4 and he spawned just in range to crit Marcus. Derp.

Beginning to run into the same problem that I was worried I'd have with my Shadow Dragon log. I chose to go for screencaps over recordings there because I spent so long deliberating over stuff looking at stats, and resetting that it would be annoying to follow in video format. I thought I could go faster with a game I'm already somewhat familiar with (and one that has a static RNG/some degree of easy manipulation), but ch4 still takes about an hour. Admittedly animations were on, but they're my good luck charm against bad hitrates. <_<

The first couple of chapters are negligbly short enough to replicate without effort so RN burning for hitrates is easy. Ch4 has much worse hitrates and a string of misses is basically game over. Hitrates don't improve much from here, but the bosses become more blitzable. I attempted to just blitz the boss before Rutger even spawns but Marcus simply cannot survive without rigging crits and hits everywhere. Rutger's Killing Edge will be useful anyway.

I could start writing down my moves for replicating exact runs then recording only correct ones but considering I'm not even LTCing it seems rather silly to bother beyond what I can actually remember (usually only early hits or the boss if I can get to them fast enough) and repeat everything, plus that would involve more use of savestates which just cheapens things.

I recorded it and I am uploaded anyway, and probably will keep doing so. I would just start 2x speeding the videos or something but then the same problem with hard drive space. Meh.

Anyway

[spoiler=Chapter 4]

Loads of crits in this chapter. Dieck got like 5 by himself.

6 RNs are burnt on turn 1 so that Marcus hits with his steel axe. Roy also conveniently crits which lets him contribute again, otherwise I'd have to rely on Dieck or Lott's shaky hitrates. 4 RNs are burnt on turn 4 so Marcus can hit with the steel axe again. I pretty much didn't have a consistent set of movements or strategy after this point (or rather, couldn't remember exactly what I was doing or how I was moving), so its just random.

Alan and Lance got average levels, and are both pretty much bang on average stats aside from defence (that is to say, not very impressive but not bad either). I think Lance will get fed more exp now since he hit his 10 speed benchmark fairly fast. Roy is actually slightly above average (which in Roy terms, is blessed <_<), and might actually end up better than either of them. Until promotion anyway lol. Roy contributes a lot on this chapter thanks to his Rapier, but it's almost out of uses. Fortunately theres another one in chapter 7, but I'm not sure if it will manage to last that long.

Marcus got speed AND str, which is huge boost to his sustainability in this run. Dieck got godlike offensive growths (so much speed and str) but could use some def. Thany and Lugh got blessed level ups but have difficulty getting any kills not fed to them. I tried to feed Lugh the boss kill but he missed. Luckily Roy didn't fail, else the reinforcement cavs might have gotten me. Thany got the Robe, hopefully she can keep up on good growths.

Roy is getting too much exp for my liking but his contributions are pretty undeniable right now, and his stats don't suck so I can't complain. If only he didn't promote so late...

I really want Marcus to hit D Axes before chapter 6 and 7 so he can use the Hammer. If he can't I'll have to burn precious armorslayer uses.

[spoiler=Unit stats]

UNIT     CLASS            LEVEL    HP  ST  SK  SP  LC  DF  RS  WEP LEVEL

ROY      LORD             06.97    23  07  09  08  10  07  02  D SWORD

MARCUS   PALADIN        ??/03.24   33  11  14  12  10  09  09  A LANCE C SWORD E AXE 

ALAN     CAVALIER         05.46    24  09  07  08  05  06  02  E SWORD D LANCE

LANCE    CAVALIER         05.45    24  07  07  10  02  06  01  E SWORD D LANCE

DIECK    MERCENARY        09.34    30  11  13  13  06  06  03  C SWORD

THANY    PEGASUS KNIGHT   05.09    26  06  08  14  07  08  06  D LANCE

LUGH     MAGE             02.94    17  05  06  07  06  04  05  D ANIMA

How do I make tables on this forums so I can more easily post unit stats? I just hijacked this from Horace lol.

Edited by Irysa

you can just steal the formatting of horace's code tags, or

you can use a fixed width font like this

you should be glad that roy is getting a lot of EXP. having a good roy in this game is very helpful. don't worry about marcus not hitting D axes; this is actually really easy because he usually uses the hand axe a few times in chapter 3 and then spams it a lot in chapter 6. and you don't really need the hammer in chapter 6.

Edited by dondon151

Even if Marcus somehow cannot wield the Halberd by chapter 7, it's not exactly the end of the world for your party (LTC doesn't even open the chest). Having +2 str/+1 spd on Marcus is sure to help though. Roy looks average and actually lagging behind his speed average.

Sigh, another hourish attempt. Highly unlikely anyone will watch it so I'll recap things.

[spoiler=Chapter 5]

Music is messed up sorry. I attempted to take the quick route in some earlier attempts but without Rutger I don't have the power to do it. I bought like 4 door keys for the next chapter to keep my options open. Not being able to use Rutger really makes this chapter a lot more annoying since he is capable of doubling nearly everything and generally wrecking face. Taking the quick route is also actually an option if Rutger is present and he manages to dodge/crit enough things on enemy phase.

I burnt rns randomly on turn 1 because if done raw, Dieck will get hit by the fighter on turn 1 EP with only 18 hit, then crits back. I really wanted to feed Lugh that kill so...
Lugh managed to soak up a good amount of levels here and was generally invaluable because he's the most accurate member of my team right now. His growths were quite decent. He's ahead of the curve on mag, but behind on speed. Should even out in time.

Dieck and Marcus's speed procs are already kicking in bceause they were capable of doubling fighters on this map usually limited to only Rutger. Dieck procced some def and more str, and is looking solid as hell all round. He didn't crit the boss, but Lance got the kill anyway. Marcus probably took more exp than he needed to near the end of the map but I was really unwilling to risk anyone getting gibbed by a a Brigand so he cleaned up a lot of the final stretch of the map himself. I got some hand axe uses out so he should be able to make it to D axes in time. He hit S lances but IIRC that gives no bonuses in FE6.

Roy continues to impress me considering how bad he usually by now. He is actually slightly tankier than Alan lol.

Lance got the brunt of EXP on this map compared to Alan, Lance is now 2 levels ahead. His skill is lagging behind a bit but he looks okay aside from that. Being able to double some enemies thanks to 11 speed is helpful. Alan seems fine and to a degree I regret not focusing exp into him since his str is better. Thanks to his supports with Alan and Roy, Lance actually had acceptable hitrate on the boss, which is what let him take the kill.

Thany didn't get to contribute much this chapter because there were nomads everywhere and her hitrates and damage were generally poor. She also had less than stellar avoid. She mostly just rescue dropped people around occaisonally chipped in a bit. She should fare better in the next chapter.

Wade and Lott were minorly helpful in rescuedropping/giving people around thanks to high con but didnt really do anything otherwise. Lott doubled a brigand I guess. Wolt chipped in a bit here and there to let Lugh take some kills. Bors, Chad and Merlinus camped forts to prevent reinforcements and didnt really do anything else. Clarine did healer things. Rutger ran around naked.

[spoiler=Unit Stats]

ROY      LORD             07.33    24  08  10  09  11  07  02  D SWORD

MARCUS   PALADIN        ??/03.88   33  11  14  12  10  09  09  S LANCE C SWORD E AXE

ALAN     CAVALIER         06.44    25  10  07  08  05  06  02  E SWORD D LANCE

LANCE    CAVALIER         08.28    24  08  07  11  03  07  02  E SWORD D LANCE

DIECK    MERCENARY        10.76    31  12  13  13  07  07  03  B SWORD

THANY    PEGASUS KNIGHT   05.40    26  06  08  14  07  08  06  D LANCE

LUGH     MAGE             05.83    19  07  07  07  06  04  05  D ANIMA

CLARINE  TROUBADOUR       02.56    16  02  06  09  09  02  05  D STAVES

Edited by Irysa

Finally, a chapter that doesn't take forever, mostly because its full of loldiers and mages. I actually frapsed this so the quality isn't garbage, putting the size down to half size recording at 2x VBA makes filesizes more managable.

I have an 8 turn clear of chapter 6 with all the east treasure and Sue recruited. I didn't talk to Cath though. I could go a bit slower and try to get the rest of the money and farm reinforcements for the rest of the team, and potentially talk to Cath. I dunno if it's neccessary to dump that much EXP though. Chad can't steal Cath's lockpick so she'll be annoying if I let her do anything, I routed her up the middle by blocking the stairs with Bors and Dorothy. (I usually use him a bit in chapter 3 and 4 to get his speed up, but Thany and Dieck needed more exp). The money is really not that important right now, just the exp. Marcus got speed and str AGAIN, and made it to D axes so I'm very reluctant to restart the chapter, even if he soaked up a rather large amount of exp. I never use Cath anyway and she's already banned in this run, and can still be recruited anyway.

I think I "should" be okay, my Dieck is above average, Marcus is way above average, and I get Zealot next chapter meaning there shouldn't be too many problems. Do you think I should take longer and farm more exp for other units on my team?

[spoiler=Chapter 6]

[spoiler=Unit Stats]

ROY      LORD             07.51    24  08  10  09  11  07  02  D SWORD

MARCUS   PALADIN        ??/04.55   33  12  14  13  10  09  09  S LANCE C SWORD D AXE

ALAN     CAVALIER         07.43    26  10  08  08  06  06  02  E SWORD D LANCE

LANCE    CAVALIER         09.27    25  09  08  12  04  07  02  E SWORD D LANCE

DIECK    MERCENARY        11.69    32  13  13  13  07  07  03  B SWORD

THANY    PEGASUS KNIGHT   06.09    27  06  09  15  07  08  06  D LANCE

LUGH     MAGE             05.83    19  07  08  08  07  05  07  D ANIMA

CLARINE  TROUBADOUR       02.78    16  02  06  09  09  02  05  D STAVES

SAUL     PRIEST           05.66    20  04  06  10  02  02  05  C STAVES

Edited by Irysa

Chad can always steal her lockpick, as it isn't based on Speed. Not that it matters...by Chapter 11, I had like 5 extra lockpicks which I sold for money.

Are you sure? I'm quite certain I remember that you need equal or higher speed than the enemy in GBA FE to steal. Stealing the lockpick isnt for having a lockpick, it's to make Cath not go opening doors she's not meant to.

Also I updated that post with unit stats and the uploaded video.

Edited by Irysa

*headdesk*

I can't believe I never knew that. I've always raised Astol to get enough speed to steal that shield lol. I don't think I'm going to bother redoing the map though. It is definitely the easiest source of EXP in earlygame but since I'm only aiming to beat 7 before the reinforcements show up (turn 10) so there isn't a really strict demand on another 2 or 3 levels I'd think, even without Rutger. Zealot and blessed Marcus should be able to carry me for a while yet.

Edited by Irysa

Took some time but I finally pulled it off.

[spoiler=Chapter 7]Turns - 10

This map is already a pain with HM Rutger and without him (and no real excessive grinding on my other units), it takes some work to manage to get everyone where they need to go and get all the villages before the reinforcements spawn. Typically Rutger can pretty much solo the west side of the map with one bow user or mage to blick the Wyvern, but Dieck, even when speed blessed is simply not good enough. I have to really rely on Lot's Halberd for those cavs, since nobody but Rutger can typically double them. I sorely needed Marcus on the west due to lack of units who can double over there, which didn't help matters.

I was very sorely tempted to go back to my chapter 6 and grind out the reinforcements to get Alan and Lance some more levels, but I eventually got an early strat working. It is a bit crit reliant though, but some of those crits are unneccessary and are just convenient ones I found. IE Zealot does not need to crit to ORKO the last Cavalier to the east, Silver will do, but since I discovered the crit I figured I'd save the uses.
The reinforcements near the boss are because I needed Marcus to go kill stuff at the bottom of the map, and Zealot couldn't solo the boss himself. After about turn 3 or so stuff isn't really clearly planned out, I kept bruteforcing it until I made it.

I managed to keep my quota and stay within 10 turns and get everything on the map though. It's no LTC but I'm happy with it. Level ups were good all round. Unsure if Dieck is getting insta promoted, the next couple of chapters are much more leniant, he can probably squeeze out another 2 levels with unpromoted exp gain. Having Hand Axes could be really useful though. Lance also probably needs a few more levels, but he's getting there.

[spoiler=Unit Stats]

ROY      LORD             08.15    24  09  11  10  11  07  03  C SWORD

MARCUS   PALADIN        ??/05.06   33  12  14  13  10  10  09  S LANCE C SWORD D AXE

ALAN     CAVALIER         08.25    27  10  09  09  06  07  02  E SWORD D LANCE

LANCE    CAVALIER         10.57    26  10  09  12  05  07  02  D SWORD D LANCE

DIECK    MERCENARY        13.41    34  14  14  14  08  07  04  A SWORD

THANY    PEGASUS KNIGHT   07.96    28  06  10  16  07  08  07  C LANCE

LUGH     MAGE             07.44    19  07  09  09  07  05  07  C ANIMA

CLARINE  TROUBADOUR       03.34    17  03  06  09  10  02  06  D STAVES

SAUL     PRIEST           06.66    20  04  07  11  02  03  06  C STAVES

SUE      NOMAD            03.24    18  05  08  09  06  06  00  D BOWS
Edited by Irysa

Well, I was recording chapter 8 again but to be honest, as I said before, I take way too long overall, and I'm not LTCing, so my recordings are pointless/not interesting to watch. Since it's not blind I don't really have as many observations to make or whatever for screencap playlog style stuff so I don't really know what to do with this thread. The advice has been invaluable to say the least, but I think I'm probably just going to stick to posting stats, summaries and turns, and maybe anything amusing if it happens. I'll ask for any further help if I need it but with a general outline of the run sort of planned I think I'll be okay. Sorry for the wasteful thread.

[spoiler=Chapter 8 summary]Turns - 19. Needed extra turns to get all the chests and feed some exp.

Chapter 8 - first map where you REALLY need to ferry people around. Units like Clarine and Noah fielded just to make sure everyone else keeps up. However most of the enemies are complete chumps, and the map takes a while to get through anyway, meaning a lot of exp went around. Almost brought Merlinus because I had too many items to carry and sort of thought about promoting Lance midchapter but decided against it. Almost every unit had a full inventory just because of excess items.

Roy - Managed to hit some things and get another level (speed, luck, could be worse). Didn't really contribute anything overall, got a free thunder from out his bag of holding to give to Lilina (who promptly gave it to Lugh instead). Toyed with the idea of supporting Roy and Lilina for their ending but decided against it because I really don't want to have to ferry around more units than I'm already doing right now. Talked to Cath for the first time.

Y6fE7NA.png

Marcus - Ferried people around. Used up charges on nearly broken weapons like my 1 use handaxe, 5 use javelin, and 7 use steel axe. Still can't ORKO most so kills can be fed around. Killed all the annoying mages on the bottom/far east of the map with his Javelin to save me hassle.

Zealot - More of the same really. Missed twice with 91 disp hit :facepalm: chances of that happening...

Lance - Ferried people, got 2 levels, was generally awesome. Ended the map on like 90 exp so I may promote him in 8x after he kills something, but since he's mounted and isn't a bosskiller he isn't in dire need of extra mov or stats right now. He might get promoted in like 10 instead if I can get him to 14.

kAHckOA.pngnHCnQZo.png

Alan - Managed to get to D swords. Ferried people. Got a level and some exp. Got to B support with Lance. Trending towards being more average than Lance. He won't be getting promoted until chapter 14x though. :\

ASzy0We.png

Dieck - Wanted to give him another level but 5 mov is crippling in a map like this. I also needed a boss killer because the hammer is way too innacurate to hit the boss, and he's the only one capable of doubling him anyway. If the boss exp is going anywhere Dieck makes the most sense to armorslayer kill. I managed to feed him enough kills on the level 10 archers to level up

JZGpFt1.pngBHODAzG.png

Look at those gloriously balanced stats. It's kinda sad that his speed is basically just now equal to the average HM base Rutger. Killed the boss with the armorslayer afterwards. As a bosskiller, he looks like he'll replace Rutger fine, just no critrigging.

Thany - Ferried people. Killed mages because she has a res stat and doubles everything. Got goddess tier levelups. Second level up was actually kind of boss abuse, had 99 exp after killing a thief and just threw javelins at the boss to get the extra exp needed lol. We'll make a Miledy out of her yet. Will try to get her to level 10 on the next map so I can promote her, having swords for western isles will help her out a lot. She can start ferrying Dieck around relatively safely after that too.The robe and blessed def growths mean she isn't as frail as she usually is, but the extra str will be really helpful as well. More statboosters are going to be eaten by her when they come.

y4rCaE3.pngBH5XP0j.png

Lugh - Chipped things, got fed some kills, was ferried around. Was annoying and not particularly helpful because I didn't plan ahead enough to get him in range to hit Knights when he needed to (Marcus and Zealot hit them with Steel Axes instead). Managed to get 2 levels surprisingly, and both were the exact same. Good stats to grow in though. May quick promote him at 10 but considering his role it will depend how annoyed I get at ferrying him around. Saul might want the ring first just to get to 6 mov and get faster exp to get more mag for warp and stuff. Only did one damage to the boss even as a mage. :|

npVfYZX.png5UkVWBY.png

Saul - Healed things, Barried once or twice to help units deal with mages. Priortised heal exp onto him because Clarine was busy ferrying people around. Actually got a luck up, which is somewhat special. Don't know if I should save the first ring to promote him at 10. Staff EXP isn't changing anyway and he might be able to get more levels for more mag better with non staff contribution, though he still needs to get to A staves. Should have used barrier more in this chapter, since quite a few turns no healing occured.

htptuKa.png

Sue - Chipped things, ferried people, missed twice at 83 disp hit ( :facepalm: ), then hit a Longbow at like 40 disp hit ( :awesome: ). Spent more time ferrying things than actually hitting. Should have fed her more kills over Lugh instead of ferrying people around...

cxwjBOk.png

Astol - Stole some Keys (I really should have bought some more Door Keys in chapter 7...), picked locks, chipped things. Managed to leech about 50 exp, and I'm going to try and get him enough levels to not need babying to nab things on later maps. Chad is pretty much benched for good now.

Noah - Ferried people, opened chests.

Clarine - Ferried people, got one or two heals off, but mostly ferried people. Pretty much conviced she'll never make it to promotion now and her low mag makes her a meh staffer anyway. Her horse is more useful than her heals.

Lilina - Generated a free thunder.

Wendy - BROKE THAT WALL

Oujay - Brought a new armorslayer.

Barth - Protected the scrubs from reinforcements.

H1jgbsY.png

[spoiler=Unit Stats]

UNIT CLASS LEVEL HP ST SK SP LC DF RS WEP LEVEL

ROY LORD
09.22 24 09 11 11 12 07 03 C SWORD

MARCUS PALADIN
??/05.56 33 12 14 13 10 10 09 S LANCE C SWORD D AXE

ZEALOT PALADIN ??/01.60 35 10 12 13 05 11 07 A LANCE C SWORD D AXE

ALAN CAVALIER 09.58 28 10 09 10 07 08 02 D SWORD D LANCE

LANCE CAVALIER
12.92 27 11 11 14 05 08 03 D SWORD D LANCE

DIECK HERO
14/1.93 39 16 16 16 09 12 06 S SWORD E AXE

THANY PEGASUS KNIGHT
09.00 29 08 11 18 09 08 09 C LANCE

LUGH MAGE
09.21 21 07 11 11 07 05 07 C ANIMA

CLARINE TROUBADOUR
03.68 17 03 06 09 10 02 06 D STAVES

SAUL PRIEST
07.83 21 05 07 11 03 03 07 C STAVES

SUE NOMAD
03.24 19 06 09 10 07 06 00 D BOWS

Edited by Irysa

i don't think that you need to be blind in order to do a decent screenshot LP-type playthrough. there's various strategic considerations that are at least interesting to bring up - for example, i find myself wanting to talk about a lot of small decisions every time i record a chapter that i will invariably forget to mention on the commentated playthrough. in chapter 8, for example, some interesting decisions would be, do you kill, bait, or ignore the archer at the beginning across the wall? how do you deal with the horseslayer knight? if you ever need to block a weak unit at a vulnerable position, how do you pick your formation?

probably these sorts of things aren't as common when you don't try to perfect your execution, but they definitely still exist, and at least it provides a reason for you to try a little harder when it comes to the strategy. when i review my videos, i often think to myself, "oh man, could (unit) have possibly died there? what are the chances of that?" and to the viewer who's just seeing actions blaze past with apparently no deliberation put into them, that's a legitimate question. we don't get to see those decisions in a screenshot LP unless you go through the effort to point them out.

deke looks pretty good, but without 17 spd, he can't double the chapter 9 boss, and the chapter 8x boss might give you a minor headache as well.