Awakening EXP formula

Tables

Barring a few possible edge cases or oddities, I think this is everything:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=42942&page=2

LD = level difference, Enemy - Ally (internal)

LD >= 0: Hit = (31 + LD)/3 - Lun
         Kill = 20 + LD*3 + Character + Boss
LD = -1: Hit = 10 - Lun
         Kill = 20 + Character + Boss
LD <= -2: Hit = max[ (33 + LD)/3, 1] - Lun
          Kill = max( 26 + LD*3 + Character + Boss, 7)
Kill EXP (main) = Hit + Kill
Hit EXP (main) = Hit
EXP (support) = Hit * kill factor
MAX: 100
The basic idea: EXP formula overall is very similar to Shadow Dragon - if you're up to 2 levels higher you generally get 30 EXP for killing, then it starts dropping by 3 EXP per kill per level above that, or rising by 3 EXP per kill per level below that. Hit EXP rises or drops by 1 EXP per 3 levels, and the full EXP for killing includes the EXP for hitting. A number of fudge terms, some small, some large complicate things however...

Lun = min(3 - T, 0) if playing on Lunatic or Lunatic+
T = no. of times the enemy has been hit, including this attack
This is the "Lunatic EXP decay" written more mathematically. On Lunatic, if you hit an enemy 4 or more times, you start getting one less EXP from hitting, down to potentially a minimum of 0 hit EXP. Fun fact: This means the lowest EXP you can get for killing is 7, not 8, as many people believe.

kill factor = 1 if the support's attack deals the fatal blow
kill factor = 0.5 if the enemy isn't killed, or the main unit kills
The support unit EXP fudge. In short if the support unit hits an enemy, they get half the EXP they'd normally get for hitting from the front. The front units EXP isn't affected. However if they kill the enemy on their hit, they get the normal EXP for hitting (and the front unit still gets the full EXP for killing).

Boss bonus:
20: If the enemy is a boss

Character bonus = Min(Unit bonus + Class bonus, Unit bonus) if a Unit bonus applies
Character bonus = Class bonus otherwise

Unit bonus:
20: Enemy is a Deadlord (chapter 22, Infinite Regalia)
20: Enemy in a Character DLC map (Champions of Yore, Lost Bloodlines, Smash Brethren, Rogues & Redeemers)
0: Enemy in Harvest Scramble, excluding the boss

Class bonus:
20: Thief, Assassin, Trickster, Conqueror
80: Revenant, Entombed
-10: Troubadour, Cleric, Priest
0: Otherwise
Various unique bonuses based on character and class. Slightly confusing, but the basic idea here is: Deadlords and character DLC characters give more EXP than normal characters, despite not being bosses. Certain classes give extra or less EXP as well... normally, since said character EXP overrides the class bonuses they'd normally get. Oh and the Harvest Scrable Revenants give no extra EXP either.

Staff EXP ~= Base EXP - max(level-5,0)/3 + unpromoted bonus + exceptions
MAX = 100
MIN = 1

Base EXP: Varies by staff (e.g. Heal is 17, Rescue is 40).
Unpromoted Bonus: If the staff user is unpromoted, +8 EXP on Normal, +3 EXP on Hard, +0 EXP on Lunatic(+)

level = Internal Level
Staves give EXP that decreases by roughly 1 EXP per 3 levels, starting from when you're level 5. Also on Normal and Hard, unpromoted staff users get more EXP. Note this is explicitly unpromoted units, not just units whose internal level is low enough.

exceptions //These levels are odd, and the formula works perfectly for almost 60 levels of EXP I tested except these three

exceptions:
-1: level = 8 or 11
1: level = 30

Dance EXP = Staff EXP with Base EXP = 17
Screw the rules, these just don't work. I don't know why. I can't think of a better formula either that captures the detail. And finally dancing gives EXP just like Staves. Dancer is a special class, not unpromoted, so no bonus EXP on Normal/Hard. Sorry.

I think this is complete. I explain things in a little more detail in the thread, but otherwise I think these can be tidied up and put on the site.

(With much thanks to Remnant Sage, who provided the hit EXP part of the formula and independently verified the kill EXP part, both of which are correct from my testing).

Edit: Added staff EXP, seems to be the same as heal EXP.

Edited by Tables

• 8 months later...

I don't really like bumping this up again, but is there any chance of this getting added to the site? I've found (especially recently) people are asking about the Awakening EXP formula, and having to link to here rather than to the site is slightly annoying. I'm not really so interested in being credited for the work, I just want it more visible.

Lun = min(T - 3, 0) if playing on Lunatic or Lunatic+
T = no. of times the enemy has been hit, including this attack
This is the "Lunatic EXP decay" written more mathematically. On Lunatic, if you hit an enemy 4 or more times, you start getting one less EXP from hitting, down to potentially a minimum of 0 hit EXP. Fun fact: This means the lowest EXP you can get for killing is 7, not 8, as many people believe.

What you've written in code means that after 4 hits, min(4-3,0)=0, and in fact min(X-3,0)=0 for any X>=4 so max(lun)=0? This doesn't seem like it matches what you're saying. I feel like what you want is Lun= min(3 - T,0)

What you've written in code means that after 4 hits, min(4-3,0)=0, and in fact min(X-3,0)=0 for any X>=4 so max(lun)=0? This doesn't seem like it matches what you're saying. I feel like what you want is Lun= min(3 - T,0)

Yes, you're right. It should be 3-T, not T-3. Editing that in now.

One thing I've noticed: where is the boss bonus referenced?

Erm... I'm not 100% sure any more. I think it's for killing a boss, so it should be in the overall formula, I suppose.

Edited by Tables

Gotcha!

Just one more quick question for now: When you refer to "hits" for the Lunatic decay, is that number of battles or number of times the enemy is physically hit by an attack during battle?

I never grinded on a single enemy in Lunatic so I'm not sure : o

Gotcha!

Just one more quick question for now: When you refer to "hits" for the Lunatic decay, is that number of battles or number of times the enemy is physically hit by an attack during battle?

I never grinded on a single enemy in Lunatic so I'm not sure : o

Number of battles. More precisely I think it's the number of times you get EXP from hitting.

Each time you battle where you actually hit them.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Yea. Training Virion on lunatic, after burning all the Short Axes from the risen chief, nets him like 1exp and 0 wexp after 10 attacks.

Kinda stinks

...And it's been added!

Thanks again and do give me a shout if there are any mistakes or you have any suggestions. When I have a bit more time, I'll add a few pretty pictures as well : )

Oh right, you have miiverse now for your screenshots.

You don't need me anymore. CRAI. ;_;

Oh right, you have miiverse now for your screenshots.

You don't need me anymore. CRAI. ;_;

Actually I got a modded 3DS, which is even better XD

Don't say that, People are going to get the wrong idea : D

Don't worry, you'll always be needed.

Edited by VincentASM

• 8 years later...

Hey guys, I know this conversation is several years old but can you explain to me what the comma means in these calculations? I'm having trouble here. I'm talking about like where it says 

Hit = max[ (33 + LD)/3, 1] - Lun

Kill = max( 26 + LD*3 + Character + Boss, 7)

Any help would be immensely appreciated, idk how to get this post seen. ok bye