Petition to change Avatars and the Favorite Fire Emblem Game field

Makaze

47 members have voted

1. 1. What should we change?

• Remove avatar borders and drop shadows
    • Fix Favorite Fire Emblem Game
    • Both
    • Neither

This thread is about two minor aesthetic suggestions regarding the updated forum. If aesthetics do not concern you, feel free to ignore this thread.

On to the suggestions. Please consider them carefully.

Suggestion #1: Avatars

Avatars have unnecessary borders and drop shadows that can detract from the avatar itself, particularly if the avatar is designed to blend with the forum. Users should be a given a choice to use a border and drop shadow when they create their avatars instead of being forced to use one. Please remove the border and drop shadow.

Suggestion #2: Favorite Fire Emblem Game / Profile Fields

The 'Favorite Fire Emblem Game' profile field stretches onto two lines no matter what you put as your favourite game, making it look tacky and unwieldy. Please make it cleaner any way you can.

Preview

4qv8u.png» 4qvxd.png

Left image = How things are

Right image = How I think they should be

(The Favorite FE text doesn't matter; just an example)

Edited by Makaze

I'm not sure about the avatar change because as everyone already said, the current setting hasn't really affected me much. I do agree with shortening the favorite FE game though. But would it still work for longer titles such as Path of Radiance or Genealogy of the Holy War?

I'm not sure about the avatar change because as everyone already said, the current setting hasn't really affected me much. I do agree with shortening the favorite FE game though. But would it still work for longer titles such as Path of Radiance or Genealogy of the Holy War?

Simply changing the field name would not stop the games from going onto the next line. I'm not sure how they can manage that without changing the font size of the fields.

I have no complaints about either of those, and I don't have the power to do much about them.

Don't be defeatist! You have the power to offer your opinion. If this gains enough support, I'm sure the admins will do it. Both things will take five minutes to change, tops.

I don't really care either way for the avatar, and I can certainly see why people would want it changed.

So surewhynot.

Shortening the thing I'm too lazy to type to Favorite FE would be fine as well.

0 warning points, makaze? wtf r u egraptr ripof lozr *shot*

okay anyway i wanna vote for both with these as support:

Favorite FE:
<Insert game here>
?
I know it's still on two lines, but it's better than having the question pan over two lines. Looks a little more organized, imo.

The borders make sprites and transparent images look like crap. I'm with you bro.

Voted both.

1) While it doesn't bother me that much, the border shouldn't be there in the first place. Besides transparent pictures, it also makes pictures with an existing border look stupid as well, so it's very limiting.

If someone needs a border, they can easily make it themselves in their favorite picture editing app.

2) Another idea would be to put it in the member card that shows up when the mouse is over a member name. It would shorten pages a bit too.

2) Another idea would be to put it in the member card that shows up when the mouse is over a member name. It would shorten pages a bit too.

I like that one. Bring it up if/when this goes to staff.

Just saying.

I'm pretty sure both changes are doable, but as already mentioned, the favourite FE text will probably end up taking two lines for longer game titles anyway (I think all the titles officially released in English will be fine though).

Just saying.

I'm pretty sure both changes are doable, but as already mentioned, the favourite FE text will probably end up taking two lines for longer game titles anyway (I think all the titles officially released in English will be fine though).

Did you read the thread? Some alternatives were proposed.

Just saying.

This. The only real feasible way would either be to shorten the names, which is a bad idea given that new members might not recognize the shorter versions, or to somehow put a line break after the colon. The latter would probably still end up being two lines with titles like Genealogy of the Holy War.

As far as the avatar thing, it looks way better with the border. It's part of the skin's templates and fits well with the rest of the forum. I'm not changing it.

This. The only real feasible way would either be to shorten the names, which is a bad idea given that new members might not recognize the shorter versions, or to somehow put a line break after the colon. The latter would probably still end up being two lines with titles like Genealogy of the Holy War.

As far as the avatar thing, it looks way better with the border. It's part of the skin's templates and fits well with the rest of the forum. I'm not changing it.

Am I to understand that you are overruling the majority vote with your preference?

What about transparent and sprite avatars? Example:

4AxGU.png

Edited by Makaze

Am I to understand that you are overruling the majority vote with your preference?

What about transparent and sprite avatars? Example:

4AxGU.png

You are to understand that a forum is not a democracy, and a random poll by a random member means nothing. If we were to actually ask for input on something like this, it would be done in the member feedback forum. To top this off, this is effectively a suggestion, and this is not the proper place for those. I should be warning you for this.

That aside, with the forum avatar thing, the only even minutely acceptable compromise would be to make it optional, but that would require many more changes to the forum template. The more changes like that we make, the harder it becomes to upgrade the forum software without everything breaking. Considering that we should be keeping up to date with these, I don't want to keep track of a hundred thousand little changes I have to make every single time.

You are to understand that a forum is not a democracy, and a random poll by a random member means nothing. If we were to actually ask for input on something like this, it would be done in the member feedback forum. To top this off, this is effectively a suggestion, and this is not the proper place for those. I should be warning you for this.

You should be warning him? For making a topic that doesn't perfectly jive with its exact area? It's a relevant section to create it even if it's not the most appropriate.

You should be warning him? For making a topic that doesn't perfectly jive with its exact area? It's a relevant section to create it even if it's not the most appropriate.

No, it's not, because suggestions aren't supposed to be posted on the forums at all. Originally, the ticket system was for that, but since that's not available right now, the forum link to it explicitly says to PM the staff. This has been a big issue in the past, which is why it's not allowed. The only reason I haven't warned him is because I'm willing to be a little more lenient given the ticket system not working.

Yes...

I asked for the input of several people before posting this thread to make sure it was appropriate. I was not aware that you considered public suggestions inappropriate.

I will state that I would not have wanted to use staff as the basis for this change even if the ticket system existed because I am a utilitarian. This is an aesthetic change and I would not want to base its validity on the opinion of a minority. It is a very subjective thing. I can and have been exacting these changes on my browser on a client side basis. I thought that other users would also appreciate these changes. If I had not created this thread, I would not have gotten to know what they thought, nor would I have gotten to know that you consider your position here a matter of pride.

Please do not threaten me. It makes me feel as if my input is to be shut down when it disagrees with your own.

Edited by Makaze

Yes...

I asked for the input of several people before posting this thread to make sure it was appropriate. I was not aware that you considered public suggestions inappropriate.

I will state that I would not have wanted to use staff as the basis for this change even if the ticket system existed because I am a utilitarian. This is an aesthetic change and I would not want to base its validity on the opinion of a minority. It is a very subjective thing. I can and have been exacting these changes on my browser on a client side basis. I thought that other users would also appreciate these changes. If I had not created this thread, I would not have gotten to know what they thought, nor would I have gotten to know that you consider your position here a matter of pride.

Please do not threaten me. It makes me feel as if my input is to be shut down when it disagrees with your own.

I pay for the site. I pay for the forums. I pay for the forum software. I maintain the software and do the upgrades. I would be the one implementing this change. I have far more say in this matter.

The forum is not a democracy. It's maintained and run by the staff. When we receive a suggestion with some real value (e.g. the display name history button being where it is was a suggestion), we'll post about it in the member feedback forum to get an idea as to whether or not it would be appreciated. Or, we'll implement it right-out. But I am not required to make every single aesthetic change or idea that comes to the mind of one of our 7500 members.

I'm not threatening you, but creating this thread is in conflict with the forum rules. It's possible that you did ask an admin or mod before making this thread, and they told you it was fine. That simply means they were wrong, and you are truly not at fault for making it. In any case, given the ticket system currently being incompatible with our forum software, it's an easy mistake to make so I'm being lenient on this point. It's not as much a matter of pride as it is a matter of you violating rules and me being the one providing the services you are demanding based on a silly vote that has obtained a response from less than 1% of the forum's members.

I do suggest you read the rules though. Your signature also violates them and made it a pain in the ass for me to load the page on my phone earlier.

I'm locking this thread now.