FE8 Mountless LTC Challenge

Espinosa

@ PKL - I believe it's 4-turnable. But without any mounts either, I think a 6-turn will be the minimum.

It's a shame that mountain walking sucks so bad.

Edited by Hawk King

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybe you're right about it being a 6-turn and I just have unreasonable expectations (that come true a lot of the time anyway). The main difficulty in the way of the 5-turn is the high density of enemies close to the boss.

Being able to walk 2 squares per turn on a mountain would make a big difference I think - the way things are, it's a lot more efficient to just go all the way around. Peekwalk only matters in reaching the C12 spiders a turn early (or 2? Depends on the spiders and the speed of delivery).

So I managed to 5-turn the map; it wasn't too bad.

Going to enter chapter 11 and see if I need to promote Garcia/Gerik. Whichever one takes precedence probably depends on what they have to do in the next chapters. Colm's also continued gaining decent level-ups so that's another 6 move unit that doesn't need to promote, so far one of the three that I have.

Not sure if chapter 11 is 5-turnable with this team. I might need to send Tethys alongside the southern group to make it happen. A torchspam chapter so Artur can continue racking up staff wexp (he used 2x Mend 1x Unlock in chapter 10).

The only reason to regret Amelia's death on this run is her Speedwings (which could've turned Artur into a slightly better combat unit). Even if I towered her again and had access to the Recruit (2,3) line of promotion (which I don't afaik), she'd be pretty mediocre to do anything in the maps ahead, what with units like Garcia and Gerik all ready to promote on any occasion. That con is bad beyond repair and there's really no time to feed her exp since the routs ahead are quite rough for a dismounted party.

Ewan auto-joins at the end of his map if you leave his hut alone, and again, the stat booster is the main appeal about him. I'll probably need all three Energy Rings for 26-28 mag with Artur in chapters 16/20.

I just realised I cleared chapter 10 without obtaining the Longbow. It's a neat toy for Innes, one of his selling points perhaps, but I'm not sure how I'm supposed to obtain it without losing a turn.

The best usage of the bow is probably in the following chapter, to reach the monsters in the rooms, but I wouldn't be surprised if it'd help out with the cliffhanger spiders in that one really annoying rout (my turn count is going to feel the lack of fliers in that one) as well. Not sure if turn-saving but it wouldn't hurt to try to revise my chapter 10 strat to try to obtain the bow as well.

Also, any idea how Sniper's class skill works in the RNG? Innes crits on attacks that aren't supposed to crit so I'm wondering how many RNs the activation burns (I have a vague feeling a non-activation burns some as well).

Yeah, there's always a chance something like that could matter for the eggs, but the midgame is where it most certainly pays off.

Re-done chapter 10, obtaining the Longbow and also letting Artur, Colm and Gerik receive better level-ups than before. Garcia gained an extra level in case I'll be promoting him next chapter (though honestly, even as a Hero he's still SLOW and it matters a lot).

Once again, it wasn't THAT bad.

Guess what? Two useless scrubs just joined my party. Have a look:

xogg.pngcqox.png

t0u.png7ag.png

fyjl.pngkdct.png

Only advantages are HP for Dozla and skill for Saleh (quite a big one though). I guess I should still use both anyway.

Dozla is nice for being mobile (lol) and peakwalk in his first chapter (though I suspect travelling will take so much time we might as well wait for the spiders to come get us anyway). Very good at carrying units around - same Con as General Gilliam but better movement.

Saleh's actually a good combat unit for the desert and I will want him to have B staves before chapter 20, which can't be too bad since we will have used two Hammerne staff uses until then and Saleh will be the best candidate for the staff wexp resulting from it.

A big dilemma right now is how to keep simultaneously working on Artur's staff rank (he's pretty much my best combat unit though losing to Ross in luck and as a result avo, so I'd rather have him fight), Saleh's staff rank (I don't think I can get him to A staves before chapter 16; B staves before chapter 20 should be a lot easier to achieve however) and Moulder's magic (2.71L away from promotion which should get him the necessary 12 mag for chapter 16; sounds kinda hard to reach even taking Hammerne into account).

I'm getting the vibe that Artur will have to get 4 more magic levels and Moulder will just take an Energy Ring to get to 12 mag for C16. Then again, chapters 12, 14 and 15 will all be very different from a normal run. Can I even 8-turn chapter 12? idk.

Skills like sure strike, great shield, and pierce all burn extra #s even if they fail to activate. Im not sure how sure strike works though. IDK if the # roll is before or after the 2 #s for hit. Does it activate even when hitrates are 100%?

Lute for comparison's sake:

28groyv.jpg

Her two level-ups were awful but if I wanted to she'd be quite a bit better. There's just no point when Artur is around. Only so many staffers I need and she's lacking in parameters like durability that make the melee units more desirable. That said, Lute grows offensive stats more reliably than Artur and her high luck makes her avotank more easily. Kind of a big deal tbqh but Artur was L4 when she was still at base level so that decided my choice.

RE: Sure Strike - Seems to be the case. I just haven't figured out which RN of the four is accountable for it (same for all other skills aside from Lethality which I know is the 4th RN in every crit no matter the unit).

Also, for Moulder, 1 use of Hammerne + 4 uses of Barrier > 100 cexp. I hope I won't have to give him an Energy Ring.

And it's really fucking annoying when you're able to reach the Barrier staff house only on turn 4... I usually start spamming it on turn 2 with Tethys around. Plus I gotta say I would prefer if Artur did some fighting in this map because of how well he ORKOs (and even OHKOs) stuff.

Edited by Espinosa

I think the # for skills is rolled after the 2 for hit.

so: hit, hit, skill, crit, lethality (if crit happens)

And skill priority is attack then defense so great shield only rolls a # if sure strike or pierce fails to proc.

Does mountain walking save time if Tethys helps on turn 1 and Ross/Dolza carries someone? Or is it faster just to take the long way?

What if Dozla jumps on a peak and rescues Ross, then gets refreshed and moves and drops Ross forward. Then on turn 2 Dozla moves back and rescues someone else (Artur?), then gets refreshed and moves and gives Artur to Ross who then moves forward and drops Artur on the ground. Will that work?

I think I might have linked to the page and not the actual image link. idk.

Is there a reason why you're even bothering to deploy Neimi anymore? Or is it solely for chip damage?

There's a free deployment slot before chapter 10, so why not? There are always stragglers to kill, chip damage to cause and RNs to burn so that random Mercs (whom I have difficulty one-rounding) don't gang up on Moulder or something. Like Lute, she got two level-ups as a result.

Does mountain walking save time if Tethys helps on turn 1 and Ross/Dolza carries someone? Or is it faster just to take the long way?

What if Dozla jumps on a peak and rescues Ross, then gets refreshed and moves and drops Ross forward. Then on turn 2 Dozla moves back and rescues someone else (Artur?), then gets refreshed and moves and gives Artur to Ross who then moves forward and drops Artur on the ground. Will that work?

That does work, and I am able to get just three squares further than going around. However, the Barrier staff is obtained on the 4th turn anyway, and Dozla is hopelessly stuck on a hill for a few turns afterwards.

Also, I wish Gerik were light enough for Ross to carry. Saleh dies so quickly (and I guess so does Artur then).

Can anyone confirm that the stupidest spider (the northwestern one) can go either south or east and will descend close enough to be attacked no later than turn 8 anyway? I suppose I can reach him a turn earlier by employing a 'zerker but that makes the areas up north harder to rout - I'm fairly sure the Entombed doesn't move no matter what, and I have to go all the way to that corner to lure the two gargoyles anyway.

I think this could be a 7-turn after all - the plan for now is to see how few turns I can squeeze out of it and then plan to ensure enough staffspam happens during those turns. I think I'll ignore Saleh for now, while Moulder and Artur play around with that Barrier staff (they shouldn't have enough turns to consume the whole thing and we're getting a new one in like 3-4 turns because I think it might be in my best interest to 1-turn Aias, which I will do unless lack of mobility gets in the way).

So far I can say the turn counts have been very competitive on this playthrough in spite of the lack of fliers and cavalry.

the stupidest spider can go south or east yes. It can be fought later depending on which way it moves, which is based on where your units currently are

however I think you'll be good, it should move south since no fiers

I'm pretty sure I'd need more than one single round of combat with the Longbow to KO the furthest cliffspider. Just checked and yeah, base str Innes 4HKOs him taking terrain into account, and with really shitty hit rates at that. 4HKO also translates into a one-round KO with one hit and one crit, but this is pretty damn hard to achieve (no S bows just yet). I think I'll settle for a Berserker who can go for an enemy phase counter.

It looks like Ross going for the bosskill causes the spider to head west. If Ross gets the job quickly, he can get into the spider's range exactly on turn 7, assuming the spider doesn't decide to head south all of a sudden (I still need Dozla, Gerik or somebody else to take care of some mogalls and the Killing Edge skeleton but they can sandbag a bit so as not to bait the spider in the wrong direction).

Is there a reason why you're even bothering to deploy Neimi anymore? Or is it solely for chip damage?

neimi gives colm some free hit and atk which isn't so bad either, since they have free c level support.

Yeah, that's true. Though even with a Slim Sword and Neimi right next to him, Colm whiffs the occasional Merc sometimes. His promoted classes have a skill cap of 30 which is horribly misplaced.

Anyway, I don't get why Neimi is so unfairly sandbagged. She wields Apocalypse, warps people and can nosferatank when needed.