So, how do you guys feel about Fire Emblem surviving extinction?

sumerian99

As all well informed fans should've heard by now, Fire Emblem : Awakening has saved the Fire Emblem franchise from extinction. Due to the somewhat poor sales of FE10, 11 and 12, Nintendo considered to stop making FE games.

I somehow come to realize the franchise almost hit the bottom of the barrel. Imagine if the series had been canceled for a large period of time...or even, permanently.

This makes me think about how this franchise brings people together. It's almost as if the FE extinction threat is an FE story itself. After years of stagnation and lack of innovation, with the impending threat of death, FE : Awakening arrived...

The long time Fire Emblem veterans, eternal guardians of Fire Emblem knowledge and history, rose together, as each game commands them to do, to get the game and spread its existence through the world. Then, the newcomers, the people, joined us into the fray, bolstering our ranks, bolstering this very community that has existed for many years. Such breath of fresh air made the world realize that we are not dead yet...That Fire Emblem LIVES and that it is an exceptional franchise that deserves to make its existence known.

Is it not a beautiful story? Fire Emblem has always been about the people it brings together, about the bonds they form together. And in our most desperate hour, the game that was supposed to be the last breath of a franchise, reincarnated it and assembled the power of the people around itself. Through this miracle, we were able to form bonds with each other and strengthen the ones we had already formed.

What do you think about all this? About coming close to extinction and being reborn from the cinders of a weakened franchise?

• Replies 128
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

First off, Nintendo doesn't make FE. Intelligent Systems, who WORKS for Nintendo, makes the games. Nintendo only publishes them. xP

Second, yeah, it's great how Awakening not only managed to save the series, but even boost its popularity. And now SMT x FE might get even more players into it by introducing SMT people to FE.

Mixed

On one hand, I love it for obvious reason

On the other hand, there is a bunch of misinformation beetwen blaming Shadow Dragon for the whole mess, and glorifying FE9 and FE10, despite the fact that the later two struggles to match up to SD sales, or fanboys glorifying FE13 to such a massive extent, it become annoying

Yes, I blame FE9 and FE10 to incite flame wars. Come at me brotha

Edited by JSND

Mixed

On one hand, I love it for obvious reason

On the other hand, there is a bunch of misinformation beetwen blaming Shadow Dragon for the whole mess, and glorifying FE9 and FE10, despite the fact that the later two struggles to match up to SD sales, or fanboys glorifying FE13 to such a massive extent, it become annoying

Yes, I blame FE9 and FE10 to incite flame wars. Come at me brotha

I think this is based off the fanbase's preferences to FE9/10 as opposed to Shadow Dragon, widely considered the worst game in the series

and I'm ok with blaming FE9/10, I can pin Fire Emblem's near-death on Ike

The series should be renamed Foenix Emblem.

But yeah, Awakening was the first game I bought in advance. Before it, FE was a pretty niche serie, so it gaining more importance is always nice.

What strikes me too was all the creativity we had in the Awakening forums here.

In a way, its writing being... not that great was a blessing for us, since it gave us an opporunity to have pretty great discusions.

No matter what you tink of Awakening, it was a pretty great experience.

Obviosly nothing was totally perfect, but all in all, we should rejoice when good things happen.

Shadow Dragon might have had more sales, but I think more fans were disappointed with it than they were with PoR and RD. More people probably bought SD because Marth and stuff.

Plus, in every favorite FE game poll I've come across, RD was leading and PoR had a lot of votes.

Edited by Anacybele

Well, what's also good is that Awakening's success is a gateway to the past Fire Emblem games, first of all because it makes people curious about the rest about of the franchise, but also because it is a ''franchise party'' (through its spotpass characters and DLC). This should help the previous games get attention and help the community of those games survive.

How do I feel? Terrible. Fire Emblem should have died 17 years ago.

And yes, PoR and RD are responsible for the near death of FE, not Shadow Dragon. In fact I'm convinced that SD was a quick cash grab until they could work on something more extensive. The removal of many features might have been due to IS just wanting a game out there to make a respectable profit, unlike FE9/10 and they figured appealing to nostalgia and the west's curiosity with Marth's games was the best way to do that.

How do I feel? Terrible. Fire Emblem should have died 17 years ago.

And yes, PoR and RD are responsible for the near death of FE, not Shadow Dragon. In fact I'm convinced that SD was a quick cash grab until they could work on something more extensive. The removal of many features might have been due to IS just wanting a game out there to make a respectable profit, unlike FE9/10 and they figured appealing to nostalgia and the west's curiosity with Marth's games was the best way to do that.

Do you imply you want the franchise to die? :(

Good question. Relieved, of course, that FE survived magnificently and brought so many newcomers in but it's humbling to think that we came so close to the end. I do hope that some lessons have been learned and that we'll never go back to the brink of extinction. FE13 had better not be a one-off!

First off, Nintendo doesn't make FE. Intelligent Systems, who WORKS for Nintendo, makes the games. Nintendo only publishes them. xP

Second, yeah, it's great how Awakening not only managed to save the series, but even boost its popularity. And now SMT x FE might get even more players into it by introducing SMT people to FE.

Intelligent systems is and have always been a studio of nintendo. They ARE nintendo, just like EAD (the guys who make Mario and Zelda games, if you don't know).

If you're going to correct someone, at least get it right lol

Edited by Nobody

I don't think many people here would complain about the series being saved. Some might not like the direction awakening took, but the most important thing right now is that fire emblem is safe for the time being. I thought Awakening was a game with some flaws, but not enough for me to think of it less highly then the other games in the series.

I thought the main problem with the game was that they tried to spin far too many plates at once. I got the feeling IS had a pile of idea's and because this would most likely be their last game they tried to trow them in all at once.

The game had 3 (or 4) big villains all needing their own story line giving none of them the attention they needed to be great. The story isn't bad in my opinion and is good enough to get the job done, but some things felt very rushed.

They also had an entirely new gameplay mechanic and a generation system which worked well enough, but could need some more work. This was their first try with the pair up system so its not all that strange that its not as balanced as it could have been. I think that it will become more polished over time If they decide to keep it.

In other words i'm not all that worried about the future of the series

Edited by Sasori

I have mixed feelings. On the one hand, I'm very glad that what's probably become my favourite Nintendo series wasn't killed.

On the other hand, I really wish the game that had done it wasn't Awakening. Because Awakening was a jumping on point for so many fans, that probably means that it's going to be a huge influence on future games, which means that a lot of stuff about Awakening that I don't like, such as the art style, Awakening's take on magic, and the Gary Stu/Mary Sue "Avatar." Hopefully I'm wrong though....

I love the fact that FE is still alive. I just don't think awakening should've been the game to do it. It gets old rather quickly. The infinite levels was an awful idea. The marriage system was flawed(not bad, just flawed). Pair up was OP. To me seems to ignore a lot of its roots and takes the game in a direction that I'm not a huge fan of. However it did increase the fan base. That's always a good thing.