Hexware

Aleph

supportscreen_zpsbd50717a.png

On some further consideration I'm quite happy to go without the "support Lv. increased" dialogue. It's fairly easy to manually call the sound effect and text (with a different text box) by themselves, anyway. Shall I get back to you if there are any bugs, then?

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't there a downside to having supports as events, in that now if you want a "plain" support like they used to be, you now have more work to do setting up an event for it? Maybe there's a simple template/macro solution to that, though. I'm sure this would be clear to me if I actually made ROM hacks :)

So maybe I'm missing something here, but isn't there a downside to having supports as events, in that now if you want a "plain" support like they used to be, you now have more work to do setting up an event for it? Maybe there's a simple template/macro solution to that, though. I'm sure this would be clear to me if I actually made ROM hacks :)

I think it just uses the regular text if you haven't set them up in the table? Actually, I'll check that now.

Edit: yep, it just uses the regular supports if it isn't specified in the hack itself.

Edited by Agro

Zahlman you know better. My utility hacks don't adjust the default behaviour. They merely extend it.

Is there no way to call the actual original text box? I kind of feel like there should be. I suppose it's not a priority though.

There most likely is but actually the brown scroll looks cooler IMO although it'll look kinda weird and clash (one text box type for one support convo and another box type for the default)

Yo, I need a price estimate.

herro_zpsbdfd11b5.png

Here's what needs to be done:

- Restructure the HP bar drawing algorithm to get four rows instead of two

- Get the game to load the minis

- Rearrange the positions of the HP total and hit/dmg/crit

I really have no idea how long that would take, but if there's not enough tile and palette space free in the VRAM then it's literally impossible without sacrificing some things. Did you verify a similar tile requirement? There's probably some free palettes already but changing them could have odd effects when they become used again.

I'd be surprised if it required extra tiles to do something like that. It adds the chibis, but it removes the frames used to display weapon names (displaying only weapon icons instead).

I guess the best way to find out would be to make a more accurate mock-up...

Edited by zahlman

The mock up could be accurate to begin with. Only Arch would know without someone recreating it, though.

At least, I don't have the eyes/patience to check.

Edited by Aleph

Okay, so I started playing around with this, and I don't think the tiles will be a problem. The boxes could all be made with a subset of the existing tiles for boxes (in fact, that set includes some duplicates, at least for FE7 - or rather, things where they could have used tile reflection but didn't, even though they reflected the same tile somewhere else). The chibis, similarly, would take up barely more space (16 tiles vs 14) than the tiles used to write weapon names in the base game; however, any overflow here would not be overrunning anything dangerous from what I can tell (looks like that space is otherwise used for the text in UI menus, which won't be present at the same time, and will get refreshed next time it's needed anyway - the base game is already partially overrunning it). I guess that would still require some adjustments to the tile IDs for the code writing in unit names, which would be a minor pain.

However, trying to actually make the mock-up, I found that there are much bigger problems in terms of physically fitting all the sprites inside the boxes. Once you add all the borders and corner frills and stuff that the actual game art has, things just don't fit so neatly. (FWIW, the diamond checkerboard in the base game doesn't actually line up properly between tiles, i.e. some of the tiles are just plain not drawn properly to make things line up pixel-perfect. Or rather, it has tiles that seem to have been made by just flipping another tile, even though they shouldn't actually be like that in order to line up right. The root cause of this is trying to make diamonds of odd width using tiles of even width.)

Anyway. This is the best I could do and honestly I think that's pretty bad. (The HP bars are 4x20; never mind that they're completely full for no reason, lol.)

Eg19Ffl.png

What about instead modifying and reshaping the name frames at the top to contain the chibis instead of text?

Edited by zahlman

I should point out that viable or not this isn't really in the purview of "community funded project for use by the community", which is what this thread and my services are for.

If you actually want to hire me as a private contractor that's a whole other can of worms and I don't even know if you have the authority to do that.

Edited by Aleph

I really have no idea how long that would take, but if there's not enough tile and palette space free in the VRAM then it's literally impossible without sacrificing some things. Did you verify a similar tile requirement? There's probably some free palettes already but changing them could have odd effects when they become used again.

I've already talked to the person who's handling the tile data for the graphics, who said it ought to check out. I just came here because I needed the ASM work done, but I guess I can't do that because I'm the only one who wants it? Guess I'll look for somebody else to give my money to, lol.

I just want food and healthcare

Well I guess since multiple people are interested I can look into it, but the system isn't any different than it was - people donate to the program and then whoever contributes the most has the most say in the priority of efforts which are to be pursued.

By the way I have to wonder how much if any of these changes involve actual changes to the assembly code, but I'm offering a reverse engineering service, not an assmebly programming service, so it's still relevant. Just know that my goal is to meet the functional requirements of whatever system is desired, regardless of whether it involves some complicated knowledge of things you don't already know how to do yourself.

Edited by Aleph

Alright, got another idea swimming around, so I may as well ask. I asked this to Cam a while ago, but how much of a job would it be to have magic attacks (staves, anima, light, dark, magic swords/spears/axes) be made to use Resistance to calculate power instead? This would make things like FE5 where Mag and Resistance are a shared stat (and they more or less end up being the same in magic users anyway). I suppose this would be useful as one could effectively make magical/physical classes like a Mage Fighter etc. Additionally, the magic sword formula would likely have to be modified so that instead of Mt + Str/2 it would be Mt + Res instead.

(Also Cam may have some useful documentation on it)

Edited by Agro

It sounds relatively straightforward until you realize that there's probably dozens of functions that use the str/mag stat for calculations. It'd be easy to do but impossible determine an estimate for how long it would take to accomplish.

So, I'm wondering if it's possible to implement DSFE-style weapon ranks and weapon triangle advantage, where you have bonuses for wielding a weapon type starting from C-rank (would be for FE8 by the by). This would be made up of three parts:

1.Setting different rank bonuses for different weapon types, so that, for example, swords give more might and axes give more hit. You wouldn't need unique sets of bonuses for every weapon type since I imagine tomes and bows could share their bonuses with the physical weapons (so, about 5 sets of bonuses total if that's an issue)

2.Setting different, increasing rank bonuses for different ranks starting from C. They could be separate (eg. C-rank Swords = +1 might, B-rank Swords = +2 might, +5 hit) or cumulative (C-rank Swords = +1 might, B-rank = +1 might, +5 hit) bonuses - whichever is easier to code would work.

3. If you have weapon triangle advantage, it negates the enemy's weapon rank bonuses. This part isn't a huge deal if it's too much trouble to implement though.

The purpose of all this is to make the weapon/magic triangles important and relevant for the whole game, and to make weapon ranks useful in and of themselves for boosting your offense. This almost definitely would require a lot of work to create, but I thought I'd put it out here to see if others would use it. Some way to edit the specific values for the weapon rank bonuses like the S-rank editor we currently have for Nightmare would also be very good.