Hexware

Aleph

I for one, would contribute faster with a more clearly visible price point. Otherwise it feels like i'm handing you a nebulous amount of cash for a nebulous amount of labor expenditure. Giving you money for wood assumes most of the community knows about how much wood and tools will run.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

we usually assume a 15 usd/hr operating expense

which you will notice

is basically the same as what minimum wage would be if minimum wage were fair

I don't recall Wikipedia giving such an ~intensely exhaustive~ breakdown of their investments when asking for donations by which to continue pursuit of their goal, though.

Edited by Kaname

we usually assume a 15 usd/hr operating expense

which you will notice

is basically the same as what minimum wage would be if minimum wage were fair

I don't recall Wikipedia giving such an ~intensely exhaustive~ breakdown of their investments when asking for donations by which to continue pursuit of their goal, though.

Is the condescension and smug superiority essentially the crunchy flatbread I receive gratis at most Indian restaurants, or should I work out what I feel is an appropriate tip for being snarked at for asking a question? I don't need to be talked to like I am five, nor lectured on the criminality of how low minimum wage is conventionally.

There is a significant difference between you and Wikipedia. Donating to Wikipedia has no target goal - It is simply done to keep the service running and the information readily accessible. If someone says, 'I want a hack that does X', they have a definitive end product they are paying you for, whereas your standard setup is painted more like the research tab in a 4X game, wherein someone just clicks and funnels resources until X days pass and the tech tree is advanced.

I get that you have a very unique skillset and that you have done extremely impressive things with it. I am grateful for it. It is well known we would not be where we are without your contributions. But 'throw money at me until maybe something happens' is a pretty unrealistic (and dare I say arrogant) business model, if that's in fact what you are putting forth, rather than say, a mechanic who assesses a labor fee cost at the end of a job.

Edited by Siuloir

This isn't a business and I wasn't being snarky, you chose to perceive it that way and I would guess it's because of your character.

Clearly, and nothing to do with your choice of tilde usage.

But, as you say.

Edited by Siuloir

No that line was supposed to be silly because even though it's technically correct to say that my expense list was exhaustive, there was only one item in the list anyway.

Other than that the only other possible condescension in the post was toward the government of my country for having a shitty minimum wage in place.

No that line was supposed to be silly because even though it's technically correct to say that my expense list was exhaustive, there was only one item in the list anyway.

Other than that the only other possible condescension in the post was toward the government of my country for having a shitty minimum wage in place.

Then I apologize for misinterpreting you.

Edited by Siuloir

After a good four hours (plus many more that were spent setting up the toolchain) I produced this

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/336940/Software/Hextator%27s%20Doc/Media/Games/Hacks/Console/NGBA/Fire%20Emblem/7%20-%20Blazing%20Sword/MagRes/folDIR.html

I noticed one or two other reads of the strength value that I haven't written code for yet, and there may be more, but as far as I can tell the hack seems pretty functional as it is. Try it out and let me know if it's missing anything or if there are any bugs. If you need help changing the address it's allocated to (it's 0x08D00000 by default) then I can take care of that too.

Edited by Kaname

Ahh, thank you very much! Will have a go at testing it today. For those of you who may be wondering if changing a physical weapon to "Magic" and "Weapon" (0x03) has any other side effects, the answer is yes. It will A. make the weapon target Resistance and B. make a unit's Power stat display as "Mag" (presumably only if the FEditor autopatch is applied?). Not to worry, since if you use this hack you should be able to change the text "Mag" to "Str" and "Res" to "Mag". I don't believe it does anything else, including having no effects on the weapon triangle.

Can I get a version of the hack that puts the hack at 0x8190A0(NOT 0x080190A0), please?

Edit: looks like staves still calculate their heal values from the Str stat? Tried to change it so that it was both Magic and Staff (0x06) but didn't seem to do anything. Will try stat staves later today as well.

Edit 2: confirming that magic swords work so long as they are also 0x03--however, as a consequence of this, they lose their weapon triangle neutrality at range. Setting them up as 0x43 (Magic damage, weapon, magic) is exactly the same as 0x41 (magic damage, weapon). Normal magic and normal weapons work exactly as intended.

Edited by Agro

I had worried about that. Staves are weird and don't actually get equipped, so the function "usingMagic" or whatever I called it isn't detecting them.

Alright, any chance you're able to look into that? If we're going into staff territory it's probably worth asking about staff range and hit (since both are calculated from the Magic stat). I'm happy to donate further for the sake of completion (and to make up for the extra hours).

What we've got is still nice, though--it's effectively a lazy man's Str/Mag split, and in the same vein of FE5. Now all we need is someone to do battle animations for a mage fighter.

The "extra hours" were for my code foundation, which helps me work but was not actually counted as time spent on making resistance be used in place of strength. I did, as I've said, spend another 4 hours on actually turning magic from uses of the strength stat into uses of the res stat, though, since I had to code around the ARM CPU's crappy branch instructions.

Yeah, if you want to fund the research then I'll dig into the code for the uses of the strength stat pertaining specifically to staves (not sure if that's actually the right thing to say, but you know what I mean).

On second thought, it might be best to leave staff functions for now. With the current progress of my own hack the difference will be trivial until much later so it's not a big priority for me. Someone else has also offered to look into it at another point in time, which should leave you open to other projects if others wish to contribute. Once again, thanks for the help on the hack, it should do nicely for other hackers.

I moved the project, so if you saved the link you'll want to get it again. I edited the post with the link to the project to be correct.

The project now has a .bin output file that is at the address you specified (I hope). I dunno how you figured that address was safe to write to, but there you go.

It's the address of a sound sample that will never be used by me, therefore it's not strictly a safe area to write to for everyone but certainly one for me (which is why I asked for it to be another version rather than fully replacing it)

Edited by Agro

Well the current .bin should work as an assembly patch to that end. If you have python and devkitPro you can probably rebuild it yourself to relocate it. The location is specified by a single line at the top of the .cpp file.

Edited by Kaname

• 1 month later...

Hey guys, I was thinking of donating to Hextator to correct the rendering issues with feditor's csaps(the custom spell animation build)

This issue has been around for a long time and negatively affects a lot of people as they can't have the nice visually clean spell animations like the ones in the vanilla game. I think it's a very worthy cause seeing as it'll help everyone who uses feditor and it's not FE7 or FE8 exclusive like most other hacks. If you want to contribute, you can donate to Hextator(the paypal is hectator@gmail.com or you could the donation link in his doc and specify that's to be used to fix csaps' rendering issue.) Even just $1 would help. I think we can come together and pull through on this one guys.

Edited by Brendor the Barbarian

• 1 month later...

FEditor Adv has been updated with the bugfix described in Brendor's preceding post.

http://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/336940/Distribution/FEditor%20Adv.7z

The issue is currently only fixed for 7 (due to lack of funds) and is still present for 6 and 8.

Do you have an example screenshot of how the change has affected custom spell animations?

I was thinking the same thing. Try starlight in the feditor animations thread because that one is infamous for screwing up

Not for FE8 huh? Maybe we could get Alfred Kamon to contribute