Hexware

Aleph

I am showing you with text on your screen that there is an animation named Aircalibur that had the issue. Why would I go out of my way to demonstrate a bug fix now when I haven't before? Kind of a huge time sink for no real benefit. Either try the update or blow it off. That's your decision.

• Replies 207
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I am showing you with text on your screen that there is an animation named Aircalibur that had the issue. Why would I go out of my way to demonstrate a bug fix now when I haven't before? Kind of a huge time sink for no real benefit. Either try the update or blow it off. That's your decision.

Yes, Aircalibur no longer shatters into disjointed pixels at one point in its animation. However, Shaver ends up with a weird half-transparency that makes it look worse than it was before (and less like its DS animation), so six of one, half dozen of the other.

Your ego is hilarious.

Edited by Siuloir

As with most bug reports (like actually 99% of them, this is a serious issue with the user base) your "bug report" (read: baseless crap) looks like haphazard user error (as opposed to just plain user error, which implies at least some attempt to understand what they're doing prior to their mistake by comparison). Whatever "weird half-transparency" you're talking about could have been intentional for all I know, because anyone who remotely understands the changes made to update the code would be mystified as to how any bugs could occur that aren't:

- A flat out crash

- Issues with slow-down due to new code being added to a time-sensitive scene drawing function or, unlikely but possibly,

- Some case where OAM sheets are loaded after a spell has finished being rendered which overwrites data in the VRAM it shouldn't - this would not result in some "weird transparency", it would result in a bunch of artifacts from the spell being blatantly scattered around the screen very much like the mismatched OAM and tile sheet issue that was just fixed.

Yeah, bugs are bugs because people don't have the capacity to predict every possible error that can occur, so there may be a bug that's not even one of those 3 much more likely (again, comparitively) scenarios. Look at the bug that was just fixed, though - I fixed it as quickly as I did because I recognized what the bug was and thus already had a plan for fixing it. It was one of those bugs like the 3 listed above that "made sense".

What if the weird transparency you're talking about is the short display of garbage data left over in VRAM that happens at the start of every spell, including Ereshkigal? You didn't really specify, so you could well be talking about a completely separate bug that was in the original game and unaffected by the fix of the custom spell bug that was recently targeted for removal. Did you even know about that bug?

Is it really so hard to not berate people who put in the time and effort to make nice things for you, especially when it has been for free for 5 out of 6 years and is now being funded by other people anyway? Is it such a pain to correctly spell the name of a program you use regularly that saves you hours of efforts and even more hours of learning how to do what the program does in the case of having to do it manually?

Do you want to post the spell you're having issues with and describe them politely like a decent person?

As with most bug reports (like actually 99% of them, this is a serious issue with the user base) your "bug report" (read: baseless crap) looks like haphazard user error (as opposed to just plain user error, which implies at least some attempt to understand what they're doing prior to their mistake by comparison). Whatever "weird half-transparency" you're talking about could have been intentional for all I know, because anyone who remotely understands the changes made to update the code would be mystified as to how any bugs could occur that aren't:

- A flat out crash

- Issues with slow-down due to new code being added to a time-sensitive scene drawing function or, unlikely but possibly,

- Some case where OAM sheets are loaded after a spell has finished being rendered which overwrites data in the VRAM it shouldn't - this would not result in some "weird transparency", it would result in a bunch of artifacts from the spell being blatantly scattered around the screen very much like the mismatched OAM and tile sheet issue that was just fixed.

Yeah, bugs are bugs because people don't have the capacity to predict every possible error that can occur, so there may be a bug that's not even one of those 3 much more likely (again, comparitively) scenarios. Look at the bug that was just fixed, though - I fixed it as quickly as I did because I recognized what the bug was and thus already had a plan for fixing it. It was one of those bugs like the 3 listed above that "made sense".

What if the weird transparency you're talking about is the short display of garbage data left over in VRAM that happens at the start of every spell, including Ereshkigal? You didn't really specify, so you could well be talking about a completely separate bug that was in the original game and unaffected by the fix of the custom spell bug that was recently targeted for removal. Did you even know about that bug?

Is it really so hard to not berate people who put in the time and effort to make nice things for you, especially when it has been for free for 5 out of 6 years and is now being funded by other people anyway? Is it such a pain to correctly spell the name of a program you use regularly that saves you hours of efforts and even more hours of learning how to do what the program does in the case of having to do it manually?

Do you want to post the spell you're having issues with and describe them politely like a decent person?

No, you don't get polite. You get treated the way you treat other people, which is complete condescension.

The pre-fix original is closer to the animation it was ripped from.

Your fix stops Aircalibur's random pixelization. It obviously changes other things with other spells. This is the point I am making. This is the only point I'm making, as Brendor's original request seemed to be 'make all spell transparencies better.'

Again, I'll treat you with respect when I see you actually do the same for other human beings,without the self-aggrandizing posturing you're so fond of.

You didn't make FEditor for 'me' - Had you never made it, true, we'd never interact, but I highly doubt our lives would be much different. (Also, I've never spelled it wrong.)

Yes I can see that the spells still don't display right so I guess more research needs to be done if someone wants to contribute

If you wish to keep burning money in your fireplace that's your prerogative.

I am positive that issue is something else entirely. Weird blending like that (note the difference between blending and transparency - they are two completely separate hardware functions. Sprites do not have blending) is a result of a similarly weird "brightness" of the pixels in the map image. What you're showing with Shaver looks more like an insertion issue than a processing issue. It may be a bug, but if it is then it's probably been there since well before the latest FEditor update and whatever happy accident that allowed people to have the animation work correctly in the past is probably still possible.

I don't appreciate you trying to convince other people to be a caustic counter productive git along with you.

I am positive that issue is something else entirely. Weird blending like that (note the difference between blending and transparency - they are two completely separate hardware functions. Sprites do not have blending) is a result of a similarly weird "brightness" of the pixels in the map image. What you're showing with Shaver looks more like an insertion issue than a processing issue. It may be a bug, but if it is then it's probably been there since well before the latest FEditor update and whatever happy accident that allowed people to have the animation work correctly in the past is probably still possible.

I don't appreciate you trying to convince other people to be a caustic counter productive git along with you.

I appreciate what you've done in the past immensely, but you treat people like garbage and your entire 'contracting business' so heavily favors you by telling people (all of whom you again, produce thinly veiled contempt for) to give you a nebulous amount of money to produce something less than empirical. Your work is admirable, but your ethics and attitude are not.

Edited by Siuloir

Don't fight guys it's not worth it it's just wasting time and clogging up the thread where ideally members of the community should be coming together to work on ideas and rough sketches of things that will help the community. If every romhacker donated $1, the price of a candy bar, to a worth cause or causes I bet we could make something so revolutionary and mutually beneficial for the entire community it'd be like the next feditor.

What if we chipped in for an easy to use and user friendly skill system for fe7 where adding predefined skills and user defined skills to classes and characters were a snap?

Yeah I'm hoping a moderator can clean the crust out of this thread. They have been notified as of a few hours ago so their repsonse time is already less than satisfactory.

"The next FEditor" both figuratively and literally will probably be Nightmare 3. You guys should throw dosh at Zahlman and convince him to finish it already.

- Arch and I are working on Shaver and have confirmed that the issue is a synchronization issue with palettes similar to the issue that was just fixed in which sprites and their sheets were not loaded in synchronization. This is not a new bug caused by new code, it is an old bug that resulted from necessary code not being written in the first place, and the first step to fixing this bug has already occurred in the form of the recent bug fix.

- The whole point of announcing an update to FEditor was to get people to flock to it and use it so they could report the bugs sooner. I have been relying on people to help me fix FEditor's bugs for years. Things have always been done this way. I can't possibly test FEditor as well as the people who actually have a large variety of test data they want to use in their hacks. I have a small amount of test data I've made for internel debugging and add to this collection when people submit things they have had issues with, whether it be because of a bug they found or mistakes they've made. Instead of being rude and unhelpful, you could be one of those nice people who donates their time to test FEditor and posting some videos and baseless, condescending accusations instead of the spell source is definitely not the way to do that.

- Complaining about people correcting the spelling of the name of something they both worked hard on and know for sure the person who misspelled it is using regularly (and therefore has no excuse to not know the name of the program) is just as bad as, if not worse than, making that error yourself.

I haven't made an account on the new FEU yet because I've got plenty of other stuff to do, but if people are going to shit up the thread and make it difficult for any progress to be made then maybe Arch will be a more reliable host in the vein of purifying the thread of such posts.

e: The FEDS Thunder/Elthunder animation that is in the pinned thread in this same forum has the exact same issue. The video was made of the spell having been inserted with an older verison of FEditor. It's definitely not a new issue.

Now, if anyone has any issues with the actual thing that was changed recently, feel free to let me know. No thoughtless assumptions please.

Edited by Aleph

- Arch and I are working on Shaver and have confirmed that the issue is a synchronization issue with palettes similar to the issue that was just fixed in which sprites and their sheets were not loaded in synchronization. This is not a new bug caused by new code, it is an old bug that resulted from necessary code not being written in the first place, and the first step to fixing this bug has already occurred in the form of the recent bug fix.

- The whole point of announcing an update to FEditor was to get people to flock to it and use it so they could report the bugs sooner. I have been relying on people to help me fix FEditor's bugs for years. Things have always been done this way. I can't possibly test FEditor as well as the people who actually have a large variety of test data they want to use in their hacks. I have a small amount of test data I've made for internel debugging and add to this collection when people submit things they have had issues with, whether it be because of a bug they found or mistakes they've made. Instead of being rude and unhelpful, you could be one of those nice people who donates their time to test FEditor and posting some videos and baseless, condescending accusations instead of the spell source is definitely not the way to do that.

- Complaining about people correcting the spelling of the name of something they both worked hard on and know for sure the person who misspelled it is using regularly (and therefore has no excuse to not know the name of the program) is just as bad as, if not worse than, making that error yourself.

I haven't made an account on the new FEU yet because I've got plenty of other stuff to do, but if people are going to shit up the thread and make it difficult for any progress to be made then maybe Arch will be a more reliable host in the vein of purifying the thread of such posts.

e: The FEDS Thunder/Elthunder animation that is in the pinned thread in this same forum has the exact same issue. The video was made of the spell having been inserted with an older verison of FEditor. It's definitely not a new issue.

Now, if anyone has any issues with the actual thing that was changed recently, feel free to let me know. No thoughtless assumptions please.

Just ignore the cunts and do your thing, mate.

Lookin' forward to seeing the editor become an even better tool than it ever was in the future.

You could have actually communicated in this fashion, instead of your one line "It's fixed." *hairflip*.

Thank you for the clarity.

cunts

Why is it remotely okay for you to walk around calling everyone this? I've been told it's an Aussie thing, but seriously.

Edited by Siuloir

Why is it remotely okay for you to walk around calling everyone this? I've been told it's an Aussie thing, but seriously.

It can be a British thing as well, for reference. Not that you were asking.

You can get away with a lot.

If it pleases you, fine sir, I could always proceed to call you a twat, or a wanker, instead?

If it pleases you, fine sir, I could always proceed to call you a twat, or a wanker, instead?

I actually think wanker is hilarious, so yes. It never fails to make elicit a chuckle, so right ahead.

Twat's still pretty misogynistic and lowbrow, but I mean, what can you do.

FEU: Spell Animation Archive/Let's Have More of Them Project

So now that we're getting these issues taken care of the community doesn't have to donate monies but we could sure use some help amassing spell animations to actually use!

It might be worthwhile to pop into some spriting communities throughout the greater expense of the Internet to see if you can dredge up people with a fair amount of ripping experience.
That said, it may be worthwhile to encourage people to try cobbling together their own spells - However, this has the side effect of making Hex's job more difficult since the issues seem to be pretty divergent between spells. (As I said, Aircalibur works perfectly now from what it seems.)

I actually think wanker is hilarious, so yes. It never fails to make elicit a chuckle, so right ahead.

Twat's still pretty misogynistic and lowbrow, but I mean, what can you do.

Well I mean I suppose if you imagine an Australian or British heavy accent yelling WANKA'.

Though twat or cunt being misogynistic, I have to admit that's the first time I've heard that one. People get called dicks and cocks all the time but I don't think people would call that misandric afaik. Still, we've got to have at least a few original insults.

FEU: Spell Animation Archive/Let's Have More of Them Project

So now that we're getting these issues taken care of the community doesn't have to donate monies but we could sure use some help amassing spell animations to actually use!

Definitely glad to see Bolganone and Thoron, good stuff. Edited by Tryhard

Chuck_and_Morty.jpg

"Let's...let's not rule anything out"

You could have[...]

You could have not been so needlessly rude

Edited by Aleph

You could have not been so needlessly rude

I could have, but I've explained to why I treat you the way I do.

You treat other people like they're beneath you. You therefore receive what you dole out.

I respect what you do, not how you behave toward people.

I treat people like you like you're beneath me, because you are beneath people. Don't post in here.

I've not seen you treat a single person here with any measure of respect, across multiple threads and in numerous instances. You're good at something, but it's made you terribly arrogant and disdainful of everyone else who isn't your perceived equal. I do applaud the fact that you set back to work on this and seem committed to fixing the thing people have donated to you to fix. I imagine you're capable of improving on it, even - Doubtless you have learned quite a bit in the intervening years.

How you treat me matters not a whit, because you're far more upset by me pointing to the Man Behind the Curtain than I will be at your attempts to assert some sort of superiority.

Edited by Siuloir

Actually, for what it's worth, Hextator was very accommodating when I dealt with him for the new Support system and very respectful of my personal wishes.

Actually, for what it's worth, Hextator was very accommodating when I dealt with him for the new Support system and very respectful of my personal wishes.

Along the same vein, I've known him since the days where to insert mugs we had to format them into black and white bars, he's always had a bit of an edge, but I never really saw it as a fault of character, nor did I ever see it as disrespectful or of a bad nature, the same with other guys like Death and Fizdiz back in the day.

Ah, memories...