What are you working on?

NICKT™

"starter kit" would probably be something along the lines of FEditor/Nightmare/Event Assembler/Tiled Inserter/Song Editor, since that pretty much lets you touch all bases in the easiest fashion possible

obviously there are more things that you'd want/need eventually (ELF method is better but more complex than Zahl's Song Editor for example) but that should be enough to get you started

probably throw in something like no$debugger if you really wanted to try everything

• Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 1 month later...

I don't think I have enough to warrant a thread yet, but this is what I'm working on:

I'm basically porting over FE1/3/11 to the GBA engine, taking some of the best parts of each into one game. Similarly to FE7, you, the player, has a role in the game as well, as a tactician (replacing Malledus). I'm really doing this because my PSP cannot run DS emulators nor SNES emulators all that well, and the NES version is far too old/slow/clunky for me to enjoy thoroughly. I use my PSP to play pretty much any handheld game now, unless I can run it on my 2DS.

I feel it is worth doing because I personally don't like the art style in the DS version, and have always loved the three GBA Fire Emblem games. I'm sure this would bring a greater interest in Marth's story as well, in the fan community.

I'd be using the CG from Shadow Dragon, and perhaps some downgraded graphics, if I can be bothered to do so (it isn't necessary in my opinion). Some things I have planned are some of the FE11 exclusive characters, along with the Prologue that only makes its appearance in Shadow Dragon.

I'm pretty much just learning about the game itself through text dumps and video playthroughs, since I can't bring myself to play them on their respective engines. I will try to stick to the earlier game's dialogue, but my Japanese is limited and I don't trust fan translations all that much, so FE11 may be the source of much dialogue. I still haven't decided if I will include both books or not.

If anyone has some input or suggestions on this idea, I'd love to hear :p

Here's a map:

19f00ca419426a06500a4535b725eeb9.png

White-wolf8 has also given me permission to use these Marth sprites:

Marth_Mugshots_by_White_wolf8.png

Edited by Pia Carrot

I don't think I have enough to warrant a thread yet, but this is what I'm working on:

I'm basically porting over FE1/3/11 to the GBA engine, taking some of the best parts of each into one game. Similarly to FE7, you, the player, has a role in the game as well, as a tactician (replacing Malledus). I'm really doing this because my PSP cannot run DS emulators nor SNES emulators all that well, and the NES version is far too old/slow/clunky for me to enjoy thoroughly. I use my PSP to play pretty much any handheld game now, unless I can run it on my 2DS.

I feel it is worth doing because I personally don't like the art style in the DS version, and have always loved the three GBA Fire Emblem games. I'm sure this would bring a greater interest in Marth's story as well, in the fan community.

I'd be using the CG from Shadow Dragon, and perhaps some downgraded graphics, if I can be bothered to do so (it isn't necessary in my opinion). Some things I have planned are some of the FE11 exclusive characters, along with the Prologue that only makes its appearance in Shadow Dragon.

I'm pretty much just learning about the game itself through text dumps and video playthroughs, since I can't bring myself to play them on their respective engines. I will try to stick to the earlier game's dialogue, but my Japanese is limited and I don't trust fan translations all that much, so FE11 may be the source of much dialogue. I still haven't decided if I will include both books or not.

If anyone has some input or suggestions on this idea, I'd love to hear :p

Here's a map:

19f00ca419426a06500a4535b725eeb9.png

White-wolf8 has also given me permission to use these Marth sprites:

Marth_Mugshots_by_White_wolf8.png

Good for you. Looking forward to it. Here, have a link to a screenshot LP of FE1:

http://lparchive.org/Fire-Emblem-Dark-Dragon-and-the-Sword-of-Light/

Also, that map honestly looks a little boring(although the map posted in the other thread was excellent). Here is an excellent tutorial on making your maps look interesting;

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=25963&page=1entry1595900

Also, you will need this code if you wish to accurately recreate prolog 4 of shadow dragon:

http://serenesforest.net/forums/index.php?showtopic=36653

• 4 weeks later...

A based-on suggestions FE8 hack which I cal "YAFEBADH," which is pronounced Yaaf-bada.

(Yet Another FE 8 (Eight) Balance and Difficulty Hack)

[spoiler=YAFEBADH]-Everyone starts as a Tier 1.
-Ross: Fighter
-Ewan: Shaman
-Amelia: Soldier
-Seth: Cavalier
-Duessel: Knight
-Syrene: Pegasus Knight
-Saleh: Mage
-Rennac: Thief
-Innes: Archer
-Dozla: Pirate

Buffs and Nerfs:
Buff Knoll
Nerf Seth
Buff Summons
Buff Forde
Buff Thieves
Buff Archers
Nerf Saleh
Buff Dancers

-1 Juna Fruit every few chapters. (Count: 8)
Chapter 1: Soldier Reinforcement from Turn 3
Chapter 3: Boss (Bazba)
Chapter 5x: Boss (Zonta)
Chapter 8: Boss (Tirado)
Chapter 11: A-Ephraim B-Eirika
A; Boss (Generic Deathgoyle)
B; Boss (Generic Wight)
Chapter 14: A-Ephraim B-Eirika
A; Shaman Reinforcement from Turn 7
B; Boss (Carlyle)
Chapter 16: Boss (Orson)
Chapter 20: Morva

-Second Delphi Shield in CXX.

-Import FE7 dancer animation and add staff animation.
-Link (to staff animation):

-Additional Dragonstone in secret shop for 15K.
-Dragonstone has infinite uses.

-Longbow accuracy +5% (70%).

-Thief use has incentives ~ better chests.

-Add the summon animations. Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsb0juj4agq24wg/Phantom.zip

-Wyvern Knight Class Eliminated.
-Both Pegasus Knight and Wyvern Rider can promote into either Falcoknight or Wyvern Lord.

-Amelia is a Soldier. However, she is a soldier class over her original Trainee class.
Soldier goes into General and Paladin.

-Stat caps for unpromoted units: 15.
-Stat caps for promoted units: 25 in good and neutral stats, 20 in flawed stats).
-snip[ed stats]-

This is all suggestion based, so please tell me if you have an idea.

Edited by Blyvern

-Everyone starts as a Tier 1.

-Ross: Fighter

-Ewan: Shaman

-Amelia: Soldier

-Seth: Cavalier

-Duessel: Knight

-Syrene: Pegasus Knight

-Saleh: Mage

-Rennac: Thief

-Innes: Archer

-Dozla: Pirate

Buffs and Nerfs:

Buff Knoll

Nerf Seth

Buff Summons

Buff Forde

Buff Thieves

Buff Archers

Nerf Saleh

Buff Dancers

-1 Juna Fruit every few chapters. (Count: 8)

Chapter 1: Soldier Reinforcement from Turn 3

Chapter 3: Boss (Bazba)

Chapter 5x: Boss (Zonta)

Chapter 8: Boss (Tirado)

Chapter 11: A-Ephraim B-Eirika

A; Boss (Generic Deathgoyle)

B; Boss (Generic Wight)

Chapter 14: A-Ephraim B-Eirika

A; Shaman Reinforcement from Turn 7

B; Boss (Carlyle)

Chapter 16: Boss (Orson)

Chapter 20: Morva

-Second Delphi Shield in CXX.

-Import FE7 dancer animation and add staff animation.

-Link (to staff animation):

-Additional Dragonstone in secret shop for 15K.

-Dragonstone has infinite uses.

-Longbow accuracy +5% (70%).

-Thief use has incentives ~ better chests.

-Add the summon animations. Link: https://www.dropbox.com/s/dsb0juj4agq24wg/Phantom.zip

-Wyvern Knight Class Eliminated.

-Both Pegasus Knight and Wyvern Rider can promote into either Falcoknight or Wyvern Lord.

-Amelia is a Soldier. However, she is a soldier class over her original Trainee class.

Soldier goes into General and Paladin.

-Stat caps for unpromoted units: 15.

-Stat caps for promoted units: 25 in good and neutral stats, 20 in flawed stats).

-snip[ed stats]

This is all suggestion based, so please tell me if you have an idea.

pls no pls no pls no pls no.

That was like my favorite class

What if all units started as trainee classes? That'd be pretty challenging IMO

Edited by VenosaurusRex

IIRC, the trainee units' promotion style is hardcoded into the character slot and not the class slot, plus there are only three trainee classes... Although it does sounding interesting.

• 4 weeks later...

Some old things I've still got in my folders from when I was working on FE:Dystopia and FE8:TLS.

Fire Emblem 8: The Last Stone:

R3Dd1HD.png

Fire Emblem Dystopia:

WwcPMdA.pngqu7Gj7q.pngbZAEvo2.png

Randomly came across them and felt like sharing.

I don't really want to do ROMhacking anymore only because I don't like the instability, if it wasn't so tedious then I'd go for it, which is why I'm hoping that Yeti's program is a little more manageable, because then maybe these two projects will finally come to fruition.

• 2 weeks later...

Been working bit-by-bit on my first hack. I haven't really thought of a name for it yet, so it's current placeholding name, subject to change, is Marisa Emblem.

I have nothing particularly imaginative or interesting in mind; Just a fun little crossover tweak on FE7, based off MageKnight404's FE7 Hack. I haven't made it past even the prologue, but I like how it's coming along. Here are some screenshots:

post-11538-0-73794000-1403304664_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-00861000-1403304665_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-24606800-1403304665_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-48551800-1403304665_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-73180000-1403304665_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-06090600-1403304666_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-41627700-1403304666_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-65266700-1403304666_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-96924800-1403304666_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-31002600-1403304667_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-24294500-1403304692_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-49418500-1403304692_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-72988300-1403304692_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-97843400-1403304692_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-34644200-1403304693_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-58883100-1403304693_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-84813600-1403304693_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-15909200-1403304694_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-42377300-1403304694_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-74633300-1403304694_thumb.pngpost-11538-0-49812300-1403304699_thumb.png

The story is as follows:

The good guys lose the final battle in The Sacred Stones, and Magvel is annihilated. Only a few of the characters manage to escape, Marisa being one of them (her expanation for not being killed with the others: "I arrived too late..." The official explanation: Her player was doing a non-tower playthrough, and thought she joined too late, so she was benched for the entire game, and wasn't anywhere near the action). She ends up in Elibe, where she spends the next few years working as a mercenary.

One day, a man named Richter falls out of the sky, and is attacked by bandits. Gerik's influence rubbing off on her, Marisa rescues him.

It turns out that Richter is, in fact, a Pokemon Trainer (and adventurer, who crossed paths with several characters from other games, and therefore, very well-connected), on an ill-fated expedition to the "Elibe Region," to find new Pokemon (all he found were "winged horses that flew away whenever he got within twenty-five feet of them (because he's a guy, not that he knew that)" and "dragon/flying-types that don't have any outstanding attributes").

They get attacked by Batta the Beast. Since Richter only had two Pokemon, a Braviary that was shot down by bandits (hense the reason he fell from the sky) and a Kirlia that is not yet strong enough to battle, he offers to help Marisa by putting his strategic know-how from Pokemon battles to good use to advise her (basically, he takes over the tactician's role). After a surprisingly difficult battle (the scripted tutorial), they win, but not before Batta sends a message to his fellow Taliver bandits of the threat Marisa presents. Since the Taliver go after anyone who "insults" them (as in, doing anything in opposition to them), they are now gunning for them.

Bitter over the fact that she survived Magvel, only to almost get killed by "common" bandits, Marisa decides to go on a training journey, taking Richter along so she can drop him off at a seaport (repayment, since his advice helped her win against Batta), or at least that was the plan, until they run into Sain and Marisa's old ally, Amelia, who became a Caelin knight, and they learn of a certain duchess who had gone missing. Amelia asks for help. Marisa is initially reluctant, but Richter, seeing it as an exciting adventure, and the promise of a generous reward, Marisa decides to help.

Throughout the game, characters from various other games (and some anime) show up. Here are some I have planned...

Ys

Adol (Hero)

Dogi (Brigand. Considered Fighter at first, but after promotion, while I can more-or-less picture Dogi with an axe, a bow seems just weird...)

Ys Origin

Hugo (Shaman)

Epona (Halberdier)

Legend of Heroes: Trails in the Sky

Estelle (Bracer, basically a tweaked Soldier, with an attack animation looking like it's attacking with a staff instead of a lance)

Joshua (Assassin)

Pokemon

Kirlia (cutscenes only)

Gallade (Blade Pokemon, completely original unit. Equips swords, but it's purely arbitrary; he attack with his elbow-blades in his animations)

Hilda (Wyvern Rider)

Ghetsis (replaces Nergal)

Hydreigon (maybe. Depends on how far I go with this...)

Bisharp (see Hydreigon)

Suikoden

Luca Blight (recurring boss; Paladin, then Wyvern Lord, then Swordmaster.)

Tales of the Abyss

Guy (Myrmidon, replacing, well... Guy)

Black Lagoon (anime)

Rock (replaces Merlinus)

Revy (Sniper)

Dutch (replaces Fargus)

Eda (Bishop)

Other Fire Emblem games

Marisa (main character, replacing Lyn. Basically has Lyn's classes under the names, "Fencer" and "Trueblade.")

Amelia (Armor Knight)

Cynthia (Pegusus Knight, haven't decided on her hair-color yet...)

Original

Richter (Lancer, basically a tweaked Halberdier sprite, but while he equips lances, his animations show him wielding, well... a halberd. He plays the part of tactician during Lyn's story, but afterward, becomes playable, replacing Hector as a main character, with Hector himself taking over Eliwood's role (subject to change if I can think of a new original character), so yeah, there's a "sword lord," a "lance lord," and an "axe lord.")

... Or at least this is what I currently have in mind...

Edited by valin24

Working on trying to get Wyvern Knight's map sprite to work right with the wing tips thing, but so far no luck, considering cutting that tip off just to have it flows smoothly but looks weird.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm trying to re-learn how to do the basic hacking things in FE7; I figured stuff out a few months ago and then proceeded to forget everything. I'll be making a basic one level "hack" with some characters from an RP I'm in, and I plan to try and mess with the basics: custom mugs, a few custom animations, some palette rearrangements, a custom map... things like that.

• 3 weeks later...

I haven't really WORKED on any projects, per say, but since this thread is more of a "What have you done in FE hacking?" thread, may as well post some random thing I did.

I recently used Cam's Randomizer Hacking tool, to randomize FE7. Some of the palettes went perfectly on some characters, so I made a Lord Serra portrait reflecting that, once. I might make some more portraits thanks to this little thread.

since this thread is more of a "What have you done in FE hacking?"

The title says "What are you working on", not "What are you working on in FE" so I've always used it as a "What have you reverse engineered lately" thread.

...Which in my case would still be Fire Emblem, because of Arch and Brendor's kind donations

Where's the N64 love?

• 2 months later...

I am not working on any project at the moment, but I do know some basic things. I'd gladly join a team if any would take a newbie. I do wish to learn more of the deep/hard stuff so that one day I can showcase my own hack. Contact me if you are interested in making me part of your team or something, or if you'd like to start a whole new project from the ground up. I'd post what I know here, but since it's not much, I can just tell you by pm or something. Have a good day.

• 2 weeks later...

I've just started a project myself~! It's going to be an FE8 hack, which will be titled Light Inheritors (After Chapter 6 from FE4).

I have no real screen shots to show, as it's still in very early development, which means right now I'm doing planning. I've done some Nightmare editing, and some weapon icon changing, but I have a long way to go.

I recently discovered that FEXP is available for use, so I maaaaay tinker with that in the future, but I don't want to bite off more than I can chew. I'm very new to ROM hacking, let alone making a stand-alone game, since I have 0 experience with RPG maker and stuff like that.

• 4 weeks later...

Plans before I begin another semester of suffering at college...

- Finish "stuff"

- redo and properly showoff rage emblem's 4 chapters; defend the town, the flood, bandit stronghold, maze of madness with various tweaks, weapon remix direction and decide on what to do with the healing merchant.

- pokemon coma

-pitch various ragefest ideas to community with playable demos, want to submit something that is enjoyable for everybody. For me designing it, for mark and his secret testers playing it, and for the people watching it.

- More LP's creators permission, want to show support in others projects and offer another review with detailed feedback hopefully.

-Brainstorm hard on rage emblem's story and should I take a "add chapters when I get ideas" approach instead of trying to be a full complete hack that eventually may die to burnout or keep it short, fast, and sweet.

Well, I'm new to the forums (so to speak... I've been lurking for years) and have been fleshing out an idea I had for a FE7 project. Essentially, it's "Steampunk". Now that's not the word I would normally use, but I think it creates the necessary images in somebody's head. As of right now, it's simply titled "Steampunk Emblem" until I get some help actually working on it, or some flash of inspiration.

The project doesn't have anything concrete done yet, except for about 30-35 notebook pages of story, character and world notes. I'm really a terrible hacker, spriter and/or mapper, my skills reside more in the "world-building" aspect, so I haven't any screens unfortunately. HOWEVER I do have a good idea of what I want to do/what needs to be done. :D

Still considering whether or not to post my full ideas as their own thread yet

Also, I've got a hankering to LP some games, but I'm not quite sure how that system all works... Definitely on my list though.

I guess this is the best place to post my FE-related ideas rather than to start its own thread when I don't even have a way to actually make it a game yet?

Since I don't want to get into actual ROM hacking, I won't be doing any work until I'm able to get my hands on FEXNA. If an editor is gonna be made specifically for making FE games, why not use it? Besides, FE7x footage confirms it has the vast majority of features I need already and should be simple to implement.

My desire is to create a completely original story using characters that I've made up over the years as well as others I'm coming up with on the fly to fill spots in the roster. It wouldn't be a modification of an existing FE game, but rather something newish.

The game follows a Spy by the name of Relena. My avatar is the WIP mugshot for her. There will be no traditional Lords, as Spy is Relena's unique class instead. The Spy class is kinda just a better version of the Thief class for all intents in purposes, kinda like how Lyndis is just a protag version of the Myrmidon class.

For the time being, I've been trying to solidify character data. For each character, I've been determining the starting level, class, equipment, weapon ranks, base stats, and growths. I also am trying to make their portraits and battle sprites (the latter usually just being their palette applied to the class generic with some special exceptions here and there, as I'm trying to stay true to what IS does). Of course, all these numbers will likely be tweaked and retweaked if I ever start working on the game itself as I figure out what's reasonable and what's not stat-wise. But either way, I have profiles made out for the first 11 characters obtainable in the game thus far.

Some things to note about this game:

-There will be no mounted classes. If mounts are to exist, they'll be seperate from the classes.

-Laguz will exist if I can make them work

-Knives are their own weapon type that Thieves/Rogues/Relena use instead of Swords

-Mag and Str are necessary to be split, so I might add magic-casting consumable items ala RD and/or weapons that go off of Magic ala PoR.

-I've re-worked some of the classes for the sake of what I feel is a better balance (see below)

-I'm considering making a seperate magic branch for Ice magic since I don't like having affinity elements that can't be represented by magic.

Classes:

Spy: A swift class with low attack/defense power. Can steal and open locks/doors. Uses knives. Upgrades to (secret)

Knight: A heavily armored unit with good attack and even better defense, but poor speed. Uses lances. Upgrades to General (+ Swords)

Soldier: A swifter alternative to the knight, this class sacrifices some attack and defense to have higher speed and crit. Uses lances. Upgrades to Halberdier

Mercenary: A strong swordsman with good combat ability. Uses swords. Upgrades to Hero (+ Axes)

Myrmidon: A swift alternative to the Mercenary, they have lower attack, but much higher crit and speed. Uses swords. Upgrades to Swordsmaster

Fighter: A strong axe-wielding unit that's on the sluggish side. Uses axes. Upgrades to Warrior (+ Lances, for melee triangle balance reasons)

Barbarian: A wild axe-user that is a bit swifter than the Fighter. Use axes. Upgrades to Berserker

Archer: A ranged fighter with low vitality. Uses bows. Upgrades to Sniper.

Mage: A magic-user that does not hold up well in melee combat. Uses Anima magic. Upgrades to Sage (+ Dark magic)

Cleric: A healer with no real combat capabilities. Uses Staves (+ Light Magic)

Thief: Specialists in stealing and looting, not so great at combat. Uses knives. Upgrades to Rogue.

Peddler: Deals in items and trade, carrying his wares in a large sack, limiting his mobility. Cannot fight. Is essentially a Merlinus type unit, but is also how you do your base camp shopping. Upgrades to Merchant, which gives him an actual cart to travel around in.

Dancer: Performers that inspire the troops to do their best. Has no combat ability and has no upgrade (unless I change my plans)

Current plans are to have the protag, two regular thieves and three of every regular class with one peddler, one dancer, a beast laguz, bird laguz, and dragon laguz for a total of 35 possible characters. Of course, that is very much subject to change as ideas roll in or I hit walls in the creation process.

As a follow-up to the above post, while I'm not doing any real work again until I can use FEXNA, as I said before... I can at least share some screens of early work back when I tried to use FEXP. Some stuff has obviously changed since then (like Relena having a unique class now)

screens_zpsc656797a.png