What are you working on?

NICKT™

I was originally going to post like 50% of my fangame concept to this thread. Then I figured it was getting too in-depth to be held by this topic, so I made it its own thread! :lol:

I've been a naughty little imp and not learning enough tech stuff to work towards my game! But it took me 3 nights to work on a sketch on one of the characters, and he's lookin' schmexy! Ooh, and I want to overhaul my GDD for said game to have prettier, cleaning formatting & structure along with concept art stubs. That might take a while.

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 278
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Currently learning to edit 3DS ROMs so I can try to make some edits to Awakening before I attempt a really large-scale idea.

I'm going to add Frederick as one of the "force marriage" options for Chrom as a joke, with the requirements being literally no support points with any female sans Lissa and an A rank with Frederick.
Don't ask me how Lucina will work.

I'm a big fan of Fire Emblem, and I am also a fan of Crusader Kings 2 and the Game of Thrones mod for that. So I'm currently in the ideas stage of planning my first CK2 mod: CK2: Fire Emblem Overhaul!! I have yet to decide what continent the game would take place on though (originally I thought Archaenea/Yllise, but after recently playing FE9/19, I might do Tellius). When I finally start later this year, I'll most likely make a thread here.

After doing some research on other works in a similar vein, I've decided to start working on my attempt of a Fire Emblem Maker. I know there are a few options out there already, but my engine will have a few things the others don't. I'm not just going to allow you to create maps and characters, it's going to be a lot more in depth then you'd expect. Or maybe there's a custom FE engine out there with the features I'm working on in mind, but I'm still going to take a shot at it, anyway. I'm being intentionally vague for now, but if anyone's interested, let me know and we can get a conversation going.

Edited by TheDopplegamer

3 hours ago, TheDopplegamer said:

After doing some research on other works in a similar vein, I've decided to start working on my attempt of a Fire Emblem Maker. I know there are a few options out there already, but my engine will have a few things the others don't. I'm not just going to allow you to create maps and characters, it's going to be a lot more in depth then you'd expect. Or maybe there's a custom FE engine out there with the features I'm working on in mind, but I'm still going to take a shot at it, anyway. I'm being intentionally vague for now, but if anyone's interested, let me know and we can get a conversation going.

what language is it going to be coded in? how is it compare to FEXNA?

7 hours ago, Kobitohime said:

what language is it going to be coded in? how is it compare to FEXNA?

C# is what I'm coding it in. While I'm not 100% sure how it compares to FEXNA, since it's kinda hard to find a feature list for a still in private beta project (As far as I'm aware). From what I can tell, my project will be pretty similar, letting you make up a chapter progression system, with customizable units and maps. I'm also working on giving units a more customizable AI, as well as adding in FE4/FE5 systems as an option. Of course, I'm sure FEXNA might have some of the features I'm thinking of, but I'm confident my project will have it's own merit.

im currently working on a small project which i call Fe Terraform. i dont have any screen shots of it since all i have done is a chapter script for the prologue

Edited by Ultrawing

• 2 weeks later...

If building a concept I highly won't be able to actualize into a finished hack is considered "working on something", then I'm doing something right now.

Okay, there's this cult classic franchise called "Lufia" (Estpolis Denki in Japanese), a standard RPG about heroes vs evil forces with 4 final playable units, 3 bonus units and 7 "monter" units. There are four main problems though. The first one is that I can't hack, hahah! Assuming I have a small knowledge in FE hacking, there are still the remaining three problems. The second problem is that the original game's strong point is its puzzle element, something hard to create in FE platform. The third one is the presence of a dungeon with randomized map every time players enter said dungeon. The last one is the things I want to put can replace the FE elements (I don't know what I'm talking about, even).

I just need to let it out so nothing to see here, it's just a random lunatic on the internet typing~

• 2 weeks later...

I'm in the concept development stage of a FE themed Pokemon hack that I am definitely going to begin working on this summer. Here's the thread for it: 

Currently playing around with a FE11 ROM. Hoping, (With a LOT of learning) to edit the game to my whims. I have a goal list of what I want to accomplish, though how much I'll get done before I stop I dunno.

• Make the Prologue Chapters playable in Higher Difficulties + Remove Gaiden Chapter requirements (Excluding 24x for Plot purposes.)
    • This would probably mean I'd have to edit some stats and growths of characters so that they'd retain their difficulty.
    • The main reason I'm doing this is because while I'm not obsessed with Frey I hate that you don't get to choose. (Also love Norne so, gotta get her in there.)
  • Merge Class Trees A + B for Males and Give Females (Cavalier, Knight, Dark Mage) class access.
    • Minorly edit classes so that one isn't clearly better than the other for raising units.
  • Add Two units to the game, just for the hell of it. (It kinda bothered me that the only default Dark Mage you got was Pre-Premoted Etzel.)
    • Maybe make an extra chapter for these units maybe just use the conversations for the replacement units instead, dunno.
  • More Character Conversations, Or make them like FE12 or Something. (It might be more realistic to just somehow edit FE12 to have FE11's Plot. I don't have high hopes for this one.)

I have other goals but those are the main ones really. No idea what I'll get done, but for now I'm just playing around with it and deciding which Portraits I'd replace/change. For example Marth's Post-Prologue portrait. Never liked that one, especially since he looks very little like his Prologue portrait compared to the FE12 rendition.

Norne.png.4bad8016922d1e52ab43cb842e0c982f.png

For example edited Norne's portrait (Did I say I liked Norne yet?) I always liked her but there were little things I didn't like. I made only small edits seen on the right but I think they do wonders. I feel like I just wrote an entire essay... :o:

• 4 weeks later...

So I've got some ideas in the works for some FE-esque SRPGs, though no SRPG engine in existence can do what I want, so my plan is to build a few SRPGs in GameMaker 2 by simply making a few changes in the directions given in a couple of different SRPG tutorials I found for GameMaker (as neither really gets to exactly what I'm aiming for, but together they come really close). I'm starting with something about as basic as it can get (really simple graphics that likely will not use more than 6 or 8 colors, and a maximum 10 classes with no promotions, no skills, and maybe some implementation of a Weapon Triangle mechanic . . . maybe), but eventually going to build a much more in-depth game (something with around 8 different races, 3 different possible racial skills per race, some form of My Unit, a detailed class tree, an overworld that can be explored in great detail--think more like Legend of Zelda than typical FE--a choice-affected storyline, online interactions, and a great deal more). Gotta start small before I get to that, though.

Of course, it'd be nice if I could get GameMaker to install correctly, first. Tried twice now, and while the second attempt actually allowed me to enter the engine, it's only working for about 2 minutes before it freezes. Maybe third time will be the charm . . .

• 3 weeks later...

I don't know if WIP resources go in this thread, but I'll go ahead and post what I have here anyways.

I'm currently building my own rendition of Nightmare, FEFNightmare, using Nightmare 2 as a base. This new version will come with a more modern UI, lots of quality of life improvements, and some additional features for editing 3DS FE files. In general, FEFNightmare should make editing files using nightmare modules a smoother process. Here's what the main window looks like at the moment:

YWduvfI.pngqr5c4qL.png

As you can see, the editor allows you specify a module directory for quick access to modules. For 3DS editing, FEFNightmare provides automatic compression/decompression for lz files so that you don't need to open up a compression program just to make some quick edits. I've reduced the amount of dialogs you need to go through when saving files and opening modules. Hopefully, that will make the editing process go a little faster.

Additionally, here's a sample module window:

pkUDnoG.png

I still have a lot to get done before its ready for release, but I think that the tool's coming along well so far.

Edited by thane98

10 hours ago, thane98 said:

I don't know if WIP resources go in this thread, but I'll go ahead and post what I have here anyways.

I'm currently building my own rendition of Nightmare, FEFNightmare, using Nightmare 2 as a base. This new version will come with a more modern UI, lots of quality of life improvements, and some additional features for editing 3DS FE files. In general, FEFNightmare should make editing files using nightmare modules a smoother process. Here's what the main window looks like at the moment:

Hide contents

YWduvfI.pngqr5c4qL.png

As you can see, the editor allows you specify a module directory for quick access to modules. For 3DS editing, FEFNightmare provides automatic compression/decompression for lz files so that you don't need to open up a compression program just to make some quick edits. I've reduced the amount of dialogs you need to go through when saving files and opening modules. Hopefully, that will make the editing process go a little faster.

Additionally, here's a sample module window:

Hide contents

pkUDnoG.png

I still have a lot to get done before its ready for release, but I think that the tool's coming along well so far.

Wow that looks great!(I'm guessing you are making it with java since you are using nm2 as a base, can you confirm this?) 

You know what would be cool(well at least i think that would be pretty cool) to have as a feature? the entries Being arranged in different categories, just like emblem magic.

(Pictured: emblem magic, copyright LexouDuck.)

JQXsXJq.png

2 hours ago, Kirb1337 said:

Wow that looks great!(I'm guessing you are making it with java since you are using nm2 as a base, can you confirm this?) 

You know what would be cool(well at least i think that would be pretty cool) to have as a feature? the entries Being arranged in different categories, just like emblem magic.

Yes, it's still running on Java just like Nightmare 2.

Categories would be nice - I'll look into adding something like that when I get the base functionality in place.

yRv4ceK.png

8Lud0Jw.png

Playing with fe7 menu commands for a friend.

What class is able to mount/dismount is decided by macros:

DismountMountTable:
DismountMount(KnightLord, EliwoodLord)
DismountMount(Cavalier, Mercenary)
EndTable

Credit to crazycolorz for the idea.

Edited by Kirb1337

• 1 month later...

Coming back to restart up my project from before, Bonds of Time, which was a sequel to FE6 and also worked as a crossover between several other FEs including FE1, FE8, FE9-10, and FE13.

Spoiler

The plot takes place about 1000-2000 years after FE6 and involves the dragons on the other side of the Dragon's Gate (which I've decided to say is just an Elibian Otherworld Gate) summoning heroes from the past within the Otherworld. The Dragon King, Alabaster (who is also a descendant of Naga), has had enough of humanity. His line of thought is that if they can summon and defeat the greatest heroes of Elibe's past, they could surely take over it now. Naga decides to send Xane through the Dragon's Gate to warn Elibe of the ensuing danger. Elibe at this point is fairly peaceful and united as a people. So it does not take long for them to come together and form the United Elibian Alliance. Within the gate, however, the Elibian heroes are not the only ones summoned to the dragons' surprise. The heroes of Magval, past and present, have also been summoned. Despite the surplus of heroes, the chaos from suddenly appearing in foreign lands causes the Fire Emblem heroes to be defeated and subjugated quickly. All that's left is but a few stragglers here and there as most are either enslaved, imprisoned or forced to work under the Dragon King's army in preparation to take over Elibe.  

It's from here that I'm having a few issues deciding exactly where to go from here. editing-wise, nothing I've planned so far should be too far out of my skillset to do, but the story writing here is major since I have to keep everyone in character and can't have them stray too far from what is expected of them. Currently, there are four main faction leaders.

Spoiler

Lilina, who is undercover and trying to raise troops to free Hector who is currently imprisoned. The second is Innes, who is trying to unite the struggling leaders of Magval to stand against the dragons while fighting off Ephraim who is working with them currently. The third faction is Lyn who after being saved by Jan from a slave camp, becomes the leader of the newly formed Black Fang alongside Alexis Reed. The last faction is a knight of Etruria, who serves as one of the captains of the United Elibian Alliance and after saving a certain FE hero who is still alive in this timeline, works to defeat the Dragon King. I think my factions at the moment are fine, it's just the members who join, and how everyone interacts that I'm working on since there were several "brainwashed" FE villains and ones who only did what they did out of circumstance. So to write them in a different light while still interacting with prominent characters is both fun but challenging.

As far as what's there left to do before I feel comfortable showing anything? 

- Finish redux mugs of a couple FE characters, though any touchups to any GBAFE Character is welcome if you always pictured them a certain way and would like that shown. 

- Need some opinions on a few mugs and plotpoints between characters

- mapping (T___T)

- continue script writing

- hunt down that str/mag split patch again since my workshop of patches and stuff has disappeared from my computer

Edited by Ziose0

• 1 month later...

So I had started playing around with the code in the GBA randomizer a couple of months ago for myself but I realized that it might be something other people might be interested in, so I've been cleaning up the code changes I made and making things polished so that I can release it for people to try if they're interested :lol:

Edited by sorenwind
Clarifying that I was modifying the randomizer code

Fire Emblem: Serenade of the Twin Pantheons

It's honestly nowhere close to done, if that's of concern to you, but I do plan on adding in sections of my concepts for the game if the thread gets enough replies. So, yeah... there's that.

Edited by StreakofEmerald
Quick fix.

• 2 weeks later...

Hoooo boy. I haven't really posted here, like at all, and this isn't an introduction or whatever, so I'll just leave that out. Who cares, right?

Two friends and I are working on a hack that uses FE7 as a base, full of new characters and all that cool stuff. Sadly, only one of us can actually work on the hacking part of the hack, and that person is me, so I've ran into plenty of issues so far but I'm getting the hang of it. We have no pretty art (yet) and like 2 maps so I'll save screenshots for another day. The plot is more or less done too, so that's cool. 

I'm trying to figure out and solve the issue I have on my own because it's so stupid and the answer should be obvious, but I cannot for the life of me figure it out or find a solution online. Sooner or later I'll probably have to ask a question on here anyways. 

So, depending on how that goes, something can be up here soon enough, I hope!

• 1 month later...