How do FE4 and FE5 difficulties compare?

The entire game being seize is rather repetitive but seize is by far the most strategically demanding objective in FE tbh (well...FE5's version of Escape I guess maybe trumps it). FE9 had objective variety (that was arguably ruined by just letting Marcia blitz everything), and FE10 has "variety" that suffers from the same problem (minus Marcia, sub your choice of fed unit). For every interesting map in that game I feel there are another 2 that are just a complete chore to play.

This is divulging from the main point though. In relation to difficulty, I do think that FE10 Part 1 is challenging, even in a non LTC context. However that difficulty falls off very hard once you get to Part 2 and beyond. FE6 earlygame in NM is not particularly challenging outside of shitty hitrates (artificial difficulty) and chapter 7 (aaaaa), but the mid and lategame are substantially more difficult than 10. MIledy wrecks the game in NM but there are still a fare share things (read, status stave) that can make her life hell, even after Delphi Shield if you aren't careful, and this is not even counting the rest of your team trying to keep up whilst getting rained down upon. Luckily the enemy AI picks magic users to stave more often than not and you have barriers/pure water but the point here isn't "is it really hard", it's just "is it comparatively more challenging", and I say: Yes, because you have to be just a bit more careful and plan just a bit more. And like I said Roy is mediocre and has to be looked after since he's unbenchable, which is already an added challenge.

Edited by Irysa

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The entire game being seize is rather repetitive but seize is by far the most strategically demanding objective in FE tbh (well...FE5's version of Escape I guess maybe trumps it).

FE5 escape is like, everyone has to seize

except even if you're SSS ranking, you can afford to leave 16 units behind in various maps and save them all in chapter 21x with a battery of rewarp, warp, and rescue. so aside from planning whom to leave behind, FE5 escape is sometimes as easy as arrive.

I haven't played it yet but the only thing I did know about it's escape was you lost the units who did not escape before Leif. I did not however know you could get them back!

Edited by Irysa

I am a bit confused. If we are talking about FE10 NM, are we taking into account that NM is actually hard mode which got renamed during localization?

I guess not.

I was taking FE10's international NM as compared to FE6's NM. FE after 7 basically started making Hard Mode into the standard normal mode of games before it, and modes below that basically catering to "I only want the story" type of players. FE10 was just more like a return to form. It still had things that made it easier compared to JP even if HM was made into NM via level 21 tier 3s and items like Tarvos being gained for free, and Forges not needing "forge points" in order to be used.. There are other differences but I don't remember them off the top of my head.

Edited by Irysa

They made Edward/Leonardo not awful (raised both of their base levels to 4, and stats accordingly).

Edited by Refa

FE5 has Galzus, Saias (Both as ennemies) , and fucknin' Seeup Elf (The most unfair ennemy of the game).

It's also the only game where I used the Warp Staff as part of my strategy (I used it in FE7 to go to the Secret Shop, but that's all)

FE5's main interest is that he doesn't rely on OP unit to be difficult, but to the situations. That's also why it can be pure Hell the first time (especially if playing blind), but is easier in others runs. I always said more FE should use this kind of design.

I more or less cheated my way through 6 (Well, for Merlinus, Roy and Karel, at least)so I don't know how hard it really is.

And FE6 have Arena Abuse like FE7. FE5 has it too, but due to the Fatigue system and Arena Ennemies' power, and the way the gameis designed, it's not really an option.

And I think FE6 has less truly broken characters (Well, Miledy, and Percival, but I thought it was more in HM).

Edited by shyteddie