About Grima's appearance.

sumerian99

Grima is an okay villain and all. He's quite terrifying in his dragon form (many eyes, giant mouth with tons of sharp teeth, huge size). But I had trouble taking Grima in his human form seriously. He's just a physical copy of the avatar who occasionally uses red text to show how mad he is. I think they should've made his human appearance much more sinister, red eyes, rough traits, a disturbing, mad smile, or other physical elements that convey how this human body is a vessel that has been taken over by Grima.

I mean, if you chose the first girl model (the shortest one) for your avatar, who is even going to take Grima seriously in his (her?) human form when you see him? It just makes me laugh at him...

Of course, when we first see the avatar's ''copy'' when we meet Validar after the fall of Gangrel, they could've kept the human appearance identical to the avatar's, to keep the mistery. Grima would not have revealed his cards yet, so it wouldn't have been convenient to him to just let his body reflect his true nature.

What do you think? Was Grima's human form ''intimidating'' enough as it is? Or were you just indifferent to it? I just didn't feel very impressed...It's just ME.

Edited by sumerian99

I think that Stuff like red eyes would just be trying to hard and would have the opposite effect.

A villain who looks exactly like you and knows you better as you yourself, knowing even the most intimidate feelings and weaknesses is very intimidating. There is also the implication of Grima's form meaning that she already won once and knows how to stay two steps ahead, no matter the efforts of Lucina or MU.

Sure, I couldn't take him seriously either. But that is merely a matter of writing rather then appearance.

Edited by BrightBow

that's kind of the point

the entire idea of possessing!Grima is that everyone's thrown off by him taking a form identical to the avatar. if he were obscured by RED EYES or POPPING VEINS or whatever that'd be less strikingly apparent, both in terms of the audience and everyone in the game itself. on the other hand, looking exactly like the avatar? that's gonna make the unwary/invested/in-universe characters sit up and take notice that hey this is weird

you want obviously creepy? you want obviously evil? that's what his dragon body is for. the human body is a slightly (slightly) more subtle instrument in this regard

FE13's writing is kind of a mess but at least this part makes some semblance of sense

Edited by bookofholsety

You would think that someone that looks identical to the avatar and is serving Validar would be important to Chrom and Avatar but nope, they completely forget about it after chapter 13. Such a shame. Wasted Potential: The Game.

I found the implications more terrifying. There's this person who looks just like you, except they have all the memories you have and more or less taunt you with them before just disappearing. It's nagging to the player (at least it was to me the first time I played) even when the characters have been firmly distracted by the Valm conflict. Which I kinda thought was the point.

You would think that someone that looks identical to the avatar and is serving Validar would be important to Chrom and Avatar but nope, they completely forget about it after chapter 13. Such a shame. Wasted Potential: The Game.

Even I was throwing around question marks after that back in 2012...