Zanryu's Works

Zanryu

Been a long while since I got on the spriting train - but I reopened an age old project (not really age old, but old all the same) and figured I'd work on it just last night.

I had originally started working on a redesign for my first ever OC, Zanryu (like you wouldn't have guessed), well over a year ago. The version I ended up with when I picked it back up is on the far left in the proportions limit box - the new versions are the second and third. For the most part, the face shading has been updated to FE8 standards, most of the rest has been untouched.

14wc.png

Currently caught between which eye positioning looks best, and working out some kinks on the neck shading. Will be overhauling the body from the head down however- I enjoyed the look of the custom armour at first, but it already lost my interest merely a few months after creating it.

Criticism would be GREATLY appreciated - really looking to get back into the swing of things and make something new. Something I can be proud of for the first time in years since I went on hiatus. :P

Edited by Zanryu

OMG ZAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN. I MISSED YOU SO MUCH BUDDY ;_________; and you actually have progress, nowai

I think the first eye positioning is the best, and it's a shame you'll be changing the body, I really like the trim.

I'm beginning to lean more towards the first positioning as well - and I kind of like the trim, but it's not what I'd hoped it would be - a shame after the time I spent trying to get the angles and curves right, and the hours I spent studying Dei's technique with his trim shading. It didn't work at all as I'd hoped - I may hold onto it as a testament to progress however. I'm holding off on work for now, working on an entry for the splice contest. :P

Oh my gosh - you have no idea how hard I just face palmed. THAT'S why he looks so odd! It's exactly the same setup as Harken! xP I suppose I'll be changing the palette as I rework him too. :P The blond's gotta stay, however!
And at the rate I'm going, I may have to bench the splice until Thursday or Friday, whenever it is I get more time to work on it - but so far I'm just about done the head and hair in terms of placement, shaping and reworking. Just going to need to rework the shading and do the body. :P

Excuse the double post, but I've finished my entry for the 87th round of the splice competition. :P

jbnzW28UzQtX4c.png

2thl.png

Now I can get back to Zanryu's redesign. :P

Edited by Zanryu

Heyhey! Another familiar face, and one of many inspirations! Good to see you Merc, been far too long!

I appreciate the comment! Means a lot coming from you - I deleted the right-most version on my saved version, haven't touched up on anything else however - was working more on that competition entry. But the input is much appreciated - glad there aren't any conflicting opinions thus far.

Well, considering the body type... xP

Thanks a lot! Feels nice to be back in the game - hope I have more to show in the near future!

Far left one for eye positioning.
Though, for trim I'd suggest really sticking with how IS does it. But I suppose that's more of a preference as I'm not really a fan of the style you've done, I believe Kai Shiden used to do the same thing with his sprites..

I was thinking of redoing the trim, but I've actually decided I'll just scrap it and start the body fresh with a new design, so I'll keep that in mind next time. I couldn't get the trim to work the way I wanted it to, maybe I'll have better luck next time. :P

• 1 year later...

Well. Been a while, again. I'm not very good at keeping active or spriting consistently... maybe that'll change!

2mxicgm.jpg

Just a work in progress, style will be like the famed Card Gallery and Card Sagas Wars sprites by Ahruon and Orkimides when completed. Colours aren't final, will make final tweaks on lines and design in shading process. Any tips or ideas would be welcomed!

Well ain't yours an ugly mug I haven't seen in a long time. Haha.

Good to see you're still at it.

Looking forward to seeing the final product, hopefully you decide to animate it too.

I've loved the CSW style since I first laid eyes on their site.

Aha, yours as well! Been a long time since I've been at it, but that urge is always there - just happened to have an opportunity tonight. :P

And animation has never been my strong suit - especially dealing with hair. But who knows, I'm picking up on the style just by looking at it, I'm sure I can figure the rest out too. :P

Not familiar with the style, but looks good so far, nice design, nice color choices.

...I realize the mug is old, but must say nice work! I personally prefer the oldest of the mugs as the design of the outfit along with the scars is more dynamic than the standard basic armor even with the nice trim.

...not that either look bad, the oldest one just looks cooler... But I can understand wanting a design more like a knight type character depending on what you intended for the back story and such.

Generally I just get tired of a design, but as I get older the designs seem to become more matured and refined. I wasn't entirely sure what I wanted with the design, and that was what came to mind first - but I was sick of it within a week. xP One day it'll get revamped!

• 2 weeks later...

Hah, yeah... I hear you there on designs!

I think I tend to look back through some of my older stuff and recycle a bit more, 'cause even if you have better ideas and designs now, it doesn't mean the old stuff was bad... And sometimes revisiting helps me tweak it into something even better.

Anything new on the redhead or Zan mug?

As of yet, no. Been busy with the holidays - three family Christmases and plenty of shopping, been having trouble finding the time to even get on the computer! I'll start to have a little more time now that the holidays are over and my fiancee will be starting classes again shortly, so keep an eye open in the weeks to come! :P

• 10 months later...

So it's been the LONGEST time since I've worked on anything myself, but I recently came up with a character to be used at FEP in the RPs there; between helping Truck with some constructive criticism and that, I've gotten the drive to make her mugshot.

2z906y9.png

Obviously a work in progress; still have some shading to rework and the whole body to figure out, but it's going well!

Her name is Ellie "Eli" Vael. She uses Eli with people she doesn't know, posing as a young boy, a prodigious hunter traveling from Bern to sell his wares and spread his name. She had a rough upbringing that ties into her choosing to pretend she's a boy, but that's not important. :P

Edited by Zanryu

Aaaaaaand here's the rest!

acweth.png

May tweak it some again, but for now I think it'll do.

EDIT:

I was wrong, I'm a dumb ass. I somehow totally forgot about one of the two straps that secure the pauldron, which goes over the right shoulder.

69f7r8.png

Edited by Zanryu

I guess y'all are scared of commenting?

I made some adjustments, and then tried something new... a BIG thanks to The Merc for showcasing his talent to the world, because if not for his work I wouldn't have had any idea where to start with this. After a good hour of studying the way he handles his half bodies, I think this has turned out half decent for my first draft!

t50kgj.png