NCFC 2013 Hype-A-Month-In-Advance Thread

Kiddo

It's less than a month before the scheduled Nintendo Community Fangame Convention 2013 event. I decided to try to rev up some hype I'd make a SerenesForest thread a month in advance.

http://www.nintendocfc.com

Last year as a good year for Fire Emblem game representation, with Elibian Nights being one of the most notable ROM hack projects in the event, and Immortal Sword having a certain infamous memetic incident. :)

There doesn't seem to be much updates on the site yet, but as the date inches closer I'm getting whatever fanbases I can rallied up. This means I'll probably make a thread at http://smwcentral.net some time later, as well.

I'll probably try to set up the Livestream again as per last year, although whether I can stream myself will be entirely dependant on whether I can get a new computer before the start date... keeping my fingers crossed! In the meantime I am considering video projects for the stream and of course will accept trailers for any submissions.

Any comments or questions will be eagerly accepted. I'll be following this topic.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Eh, I remember the debates over that in the NCFC forums. There's been consideration of outright retiring the "best of show" stuff specifically because many folks feel as though there's a bias towards projects Mario Fan Games Galaxy is affiliated with in some manner. Honestly if folks are still sour over it, then I think it's for the best that it is retired.

Here's the thread on that from last year:

http://forum.nintendocfc.com/showthread.php?tid=314

I'll bring this up to the folks I'm talking with on the MFGG Skype.

Well, I admit I skimmed over the "Best of Show" talk, since I thought it was side-stepping the issue.

I mean, if the staff can't understand that romhacks can have more original content than standalone fangames, doesn't know if romhacks are actually fangames (?!), and considers segregating them from the rest of the competition... there's still kind of a problem there.

In that discussion, it seems DoF wasn't even considered being given anything until it was pointed out in the thread that he game had been extensively changed. That's honestly a bit worrying.

As someone who promoted the BS Zelda Mottzilla Project ROM hack, I sympathize. But I remember in my involvement with the discussion that it wasn't just ROM hacks that tended to be shafted. See my multiple paragraphs about "Metroid: Father Hunt", which wasn't a ROM hack and yet was ridiculously shafted in comparison to the other available Metroid games during that year. There's also constant shaftings whenever a bunch of games are thrown in a "misc." category, as is notable by how many tries it took for Pokemon Mystery Universe to actually get recognition in spite of being a friggin' Pokemon MMO of all things. (And then, by the time it actually got it, it was during a release which was hardly different from the last year's, meaning it deserved it less than it did before, which means something else got shafted instead. Go fig!)

I'd also say that the awards events seemingly held no regard for technical achievement or broader compatibility, considering how I actually had to argue the case that Immortal Sword deserved bonus points for being incredibly optimized compared to the previous year. (This also factored into my opinion of Metroid: Father Hunt, which, well, actually ran on my computer, in comparison to what actually did win that year.)

Edited by Kiddo

Oh yeah, that bullshit. Where they gave the Fire Emblem "runner-up" award to some crappy HTML thing by default because they prohibited the two ROM hacks from receiving rewards.

I've entered NCFC twice now, but I'm going to be sitting out after that little debacle. Pure, unadulterated bullshit. It's not even that I lost; I would've been perfectly happy losing to Dream of Five, but that HTML crap was just too much. You have to wonder if the judges even played it. The negative attitudes and "you aren't a fangame" response didn't help either.

Edited by Arch

Oh yeah, that bullshit. Where they gave the Fire Emblem "runner-up" award to some crappy HTML thing by default because they prohibited the two ROM hacks from receiving rewards.

I've entered NCFC twice now, but I'm going to be sitting out after that little debacle. Pure, unadulterated bullshit. It's not even that I lost; I would've been perfectly happy losing to Dream of Five, but that HTML crap was just too much. You have to wonder if the judges even played it. The negative attitudes and "you aren't a fangame" response didn't help either.

Hey, dude, don't get that way just yet.

I'm getting more and more involved with the NCFC process each year. I'll see what I can do for you.

(At this rate, I'm seriously thinking the award show should just be retired. It seems broadly alienating to the non-MFGG contributors, from what I can tell. I get the feeling the judges weren't taking it all that seriously anyway.)

Hey, dude, don't get that way just yet.

I'm getting more and more involved with the NCFC process each year. I'll see what I can do for you.

(At this rate, I'm seriously thinking the award show should just be retired. It seems broadly alienating to the non-MFGG contributors, from what I can tell. I get the feeling the judges weren't taking it all that seriously anyway.)

It's not as simple as taking away the awards thing. The way that deal was handled last year just didn't make me feel all that welcome at this event. Why put time and effort into producing something for a show that's willing snub you like that? Edited by Arch

It's not as simple as taking away the awards thing. The way that deal was handled last year just didn't make me feel all that welcome at this event. Why put time and effort into producing something for a show that's willing snub you like that?

Honestly, I'm not sure what else to tell you, except that this year I'm more involved (I started this thread a month in advance for a reason), I enjoy SerenesForest's contributions, and I'll vouch for you guys much like I did last year. In fact, on a personal level I'll be really bummed out if you don't show, not just because Elibian Nights is sweet and all, or that Fire Emblem needs to be repped, but also because NCFC had less projects last year and it'd suck if this was a continuing trend. It's frustrating enough for me that we're in mid-October and SAGExpo hasn't even had a date announced yet... :/

(Besides, you'll miss out on my wacky Livestream antics!)

I'm going to try to get something out for this, even though the things that happened last year was pretty bad. All I can really say is that I hope things will be better and fairer. Also I hope someone good at FE will play my hack on the live stream, since my hack is pretty hard.

Also I hope someone good at FE will play my hack on the live stream, since my hack is pretty hard.

.... Well, uh, crap! Any volunteers?

(I'm the guy that managed to barely avoid a party wipeout in Elibian Nights, so I expect I'm not cut out for this.)

EDIT: By the way, a thread at MFGG has been started in light of the subject. So far, besides the topic being purposely set up as clickbait, it's seemed intellectually-minded and level-headed. Hopefully this means good changes will be in store.

http://forums.mfgg.net/viewtopic.php?f=40&t=15111&p=390835#p390835

Edited by Kiddo

FE7x will be there again this year, too. The stream is always a fun time (if a bit silly), and it's good to get some exposure and feedback.

But I also echo the sentiments in this thread, hopefully things will be better this year. And yeah there does need to be a more skilled player streaming FE games, they aren't showcased well if the player just spends the whole time failing before giving up

I have to say that pushing it off as "some crappy HTML thing" is incredibly rude, Arch. I happen to be friends with Sylvan and even now he's been working on updating it hardcore for Tanas Manor ever since we got him hosting. It may not have a polished UI or SFX (yet) and it may not be 7x quality, but brushing it off as a crappy HTML fan project is beyond ignoring its potential. I can understand being mad that you lost to it since technically speaking it IS less than half the game 7x/DOF/EN are, but still, coding an engine from scratch is not easy and it's rude to take a fellow fangame enthusiast for granted. He didn't have anything to do with the rulings and thought that the way the romhacks were treated during the convention was appalling as well.

Be mad at the people who run the convention, but don't be mad at Sylvan for something he had little or nothing to do with, ie; the rulings of the judges.

Let's try to keep the thread civil, guys.

Anyway, there will probably be more announcements in the coming days, including the possibility (though not certainty) of major renovations and changes in staff. I'll keep the thread up here informed.

i think he is had at people who did the judging

not sylvan

*mad

I have to say that pushing it off as "some crappy HTML thing" is incredibly rude, Arch. I happen to be friends with Sylvan and even now he's been working on updating it hardcore for Tanas Manor ever since we got him hosting. It may not have a polished UI or SFX (yet) and it may not be 7x quality, but brushing it off as a crappy HTML fan project is beyond ignoring its potential. I can understand being mad that you lost to it since technically speaking it IS less than half the game 7x/DOF/EN are, but still, coding an engine from scratch is not easy and it's rude to take a fellow fangame enthusiast for granted. He didn't have anything to do with the rulings and thought that the way the romhacks were treated during the convention was appalling as well.

Be mad at the people who run the convention, but don't be mad at Sylvan for something he had little or nothing to do with, ie; the rulings of the judges.

Let us be honest, kind sir. It has no story, it's, "open source", it has only 9 playable classes, it runs on browser (lol that doesn't even matter: it's still a fangame) and it's still in its beta stages. Can't really call it, "awesome" after those reasons. Also, it's Archibald's opinion. He says what he wants, and you can't really control it, man :/

ANYWAYS!

Looking forward to this year's NCFC :D This is actually my first year seeing this.

Edited by PixelmanFE

Map sprites that were slightly taller than 16x16 (Pegasus Knights, Cavs, Knights, etc.) are squished on the map because he didn't account for the change in dimensions. The map design is incredibly basic and aesthetically unappealing. The fonts are gapingly spaced, the controls are unintuitive (can't even move my units so I can't critique the battle system). I stand by my opinion. Nothing against the author, I just was not impressed by what he'd submitted. It felt like an incredibly early work-in-progress build.

I apologize to you, Klok, for my expression of an opinion pertaining another piece of work. I'll try my best not to do such things in the future. I wish Sylvan all the luck in the world, and hope that his project grows into something magnificent. I'm sorry that he got caught up in this stupid NCFC controversy. I did not intend to offend. It's just my honest opinion.

Edited by Arch

lol hi there new page

Hm, I didn't actually follow the event last year, but did an incomplete engine seriously win out over comparatively complete and functional hack(...mod?)?

I think building an engine is great (no, really, I'd love to see a finished one in the future), but if it isn't finished then I don't see why it was an entry in the first place, but a build that early winning anything is kinda lol

I'm not even saying the engine is bad, it's just hilarious something like that won over something that was actually past beta XD

Edited by L95

Erm... to try to keep the subject from being ENTIRELY about that one issue, here's a post about trailer submissions I made back at MFGG:

Hey guys! To get the Trailers rolling, I've decided to make one to show as an example.

This probably isn't the best trailer in the world, but it suffices for my suggestion on a style guide for trailers. This won't be completely strictly enforced (Obviously, if you can make a trailer that's really awesome in spite of breaking the style, it'll probably get in), but I do hope this will reduce the amount of 10-minute "boring gameplay footage" trailers that tend to flood my suggestions.

The example trailer here:
1) Has a good amount of gameplay footage, obviously. But more importantly, it shows multiple gameplay highlights in a way that it doesn't take more than 10 seconds for any one to become apparent, so it does not drag on.
2) Describes any details about the game that are difficult to convey in footage-only.
3) Has snazzy music. :)
4) Has a length about the size of a TV Anime OP/ED, meaning 1:00-1:30 will probably suffice.
5) Tells you how to obtain the product in the trailer.
6) Tells you enough to get you enticed without having to tell you EVERYTHING.

I hope this is useful for anyone who plans to make a trailer for this event. If you feel you can't live up to this, don't fret: There's still some time until NCFC begins, so you can send me a request to make a trailer using these various assets:
1) A title screen
2) Gameplay footage
3) Whatever information isn't conveyed in either.
And I will attempt to make one that fits in this guideline set.

Obviously, none of this applies to other types of pre-recorded shows or live presentations.

Oh shit--you fixed up Stone Tablets! I've been meaning to play that one for years now, but I never got around to it. Last I saw, there was a lot of Link to the Past porting going on to get the game in a functional state, but it looks like you've got some of the live broadcasts and events going on?

What all is still missing? I know there's a few scripted scenes, like Zelda being chased by some monsters or something like that. Were you able to restore those, or is that something just lost to time?

Oh shit--you fixed up Stone Tablets! I've been meaning to play that one for years now, but I never got around to it. Last I saw, there was a lot of Link to the Past porting going on to get the game in a functional state, but it looks like you've got some of the live broadcasts and events going on?

What all is still missing? I know there's a few scripted scenes, like Zelda being chased by some monsters or something like that. Were you able to restore those, or is that something just lost to time?

It actually sounds like you don't actually know what was missing in the first place. XD; (For references, the primary cutscene missing from the game is the introductory one, which doesn't seem like it can be purely restored because it at least partly relies on some exclusive assets. Con's current workaround for this is a screenshot slideshow, which I honestly don't like, but eh.)

But anyway, check the BS Zelda Homepage and see the progress. It's not what I'd call absolutely perfect, but it's been pretty playable for a while now. It's also recently become a popular subject for Repro-carting, although I will once again warn anyone against paying triple digit prices for a repro cart. >8(

(There's someone here who sells them from $80, which seems more fair when you remember that you're dealing with 4 ROM files in a single cartridge: http://callanbrown.com/ )

Yeah, like I said it's been a while since I last looked into the game. When I had there was no music, apparently as most of it was live streamed (ideas were to take and implement the tracks from LttP), and most indoor areas were missing a bunch of graphics (I think I remember Euclid was working on this).