Fire Emblem: Path of a New World

Galleom

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...

^Well, I liked the layered apparence too! But I guess I'll make options so whoever is editing fexp can choose?

Anyways, I'm in the middle of the final exams 'week', so I haven't got much time to do FEXP things lately, but I did manage to put together a mockup of something I intend to do.

mockup10.png

(This is only a mockup so please ignore the broken background and the wrong vendor)

So, any thoughts on that?

the fe13 style weapon crafting system! we meet again my mortal enemy!\

all serious face this looks interesting. cant wait to see it in action

p.s. add a color changer for the weapons please?

Uh, since when have GBAFEs had individual graphics for each weapon? I can't imagine it'd be any different here.

Edited by The Iron Rose

Editing the palette of the weapon, shouldn't be too hard, just a bit of programming and making sure the other palettes work, I'm guessing.

EDIT: To change the color of the icon, that is. As far as in game animations, yeah, see below.

Edited by deranger

Yeah I'd imagine it'd be a hassle with the gba style if you want it in the animations
With gba, it's frame by frame each frame the sword or other weapon is in a different location, so you'd either have to specify certain pixels by frame as the weapon and that could get annoying fast, especially considering the fancier animations goes over 60 frames easily, or take out the weapons into a separate entity which is less annoying but considering the frames x animations it's still annoying as shit (credits to Yeti on this one)

GBA was not made with this in mind, so the artists obviously didn't need to have a separate sheet for weapons. That means the onus is on whoever implements this to do it, and it's really just not worth the effort imo. It's certainly not impossible (at least with full-freedom programming in mind, not sure how much freedom RMXP allows), but let's say the average animation has around 25 or so frames, and there's how many classes in FE? Let's say 30 for easy calculations. That's 750 frames right there you have to deal with. Do remember that because of GBA palette limitations, weapons and the character sometimes share colours, so if you change, say, the grey to red, whatever's grey on the character will also turn red. So it's not as simple as just specifying the 2-3 colours per weapon as the weapon colours to do hueshifts on.

With the 3D FEs, models work differently than frame animations. For a colour change on a weapon, you'd just have to swap out the texture. Hell, you could probably do a hue shift on the texture right in game (not sure how costly that is, probably not horribly), but it works a lot smoother for that kind of thing than GBA style animations because textures are not restricted to the frame but to the model they belong to.

But if you want to just change the colour of the weapon icon that shouldn't be too bad.

Edited by Thor Odinson

Couldn't you just go into the animation and make a separate palette for the weapon? It wouldn't look different but it would at least be a different color. (That would still involve changing every frame, though, on animations that have weapon colors in places other than the weapon...)

^well yeah, but what Lumi was saying is that'd require going through every physical units' every frame and separating them out 1 by one, which is more work than most people'd be willing to do just for coloured weapons (Just to ball park this, that'd be at least 600 frames worth of editing- estimates being 30 separate physical animations, 20 frames a piece, both of could easily be only 50% of what they're supposed to represent).

^Well, I liked the layered apparence too! But I guess I'll make options so whoever is editing fexp can choose?Anyways, I'm in the middle of the final exams 'week', so I haven't got much time to do FEXP things lately, but I did manage to put together a mockup of something I intend to do.mockup10.png(This is only a mockup so please ignore the broken background and the wrong vendor)So, any thoughts on that?

Sweet! I love forging!

Holy cow, how couldn't I notice this topic earlier?

I'm speechless. All the features look great so far, keep up the good work! I'm so jealous of this engine, you are replicating FE13 mechanics while I'm struggling to get some functioning tile changes ;w;

I wonder if the Defend command for Druids doesn't make them broken, though? You just have to place them in the middle of an enemy horde, summon a phantom, have the phantom run away and Defend in the meantime to take down everyone with ease. Also that makes the phantom some sort of useless unit, as it is supposed to flee allowing you to get some boosts. I don't know. I would never use the phantom if I knew my Druid would get such boosts as long as it lives.

I think he's releasing it when he's done. In any case it's something that puts important finishing touches on an established engine in the community soi I certainly hope he does :D

Statement seconded, he has done a really amazing job so far. I've never really done FE game making besides 'come up with story,' but just the stuff he's changing has really gotten me interested in making it happen.

Would it be offensive of me to ask for this modified engine? Is that a copywrite violation or some such thing?

Klok (FAE) is refering to FEXNA.

Its predecessor, FEXP, which this game is made on, is currently available. There might be a topic for it in this section or hacking resources. Also, on FE7x's/bwdyeti's website.

Whoa, lots of answers! Thanks for the cheers, haha.

@deranger: Well, I'm using the Shop Window 'skeleton', so it wasn't too hard to implement it, but it needed quite a bit of coding too.

@ShinyPichu: Adding a color changer is a good idea! I don't know why I didn't think of that before.

I'll probably only add the color change to icons since it would be too much of a hassle, as explained by Thor.

Changing the icon color was specially easy, though, RPG Maker has already a hue-changing function after all, haha.

@Klok: Oh, the cards are also a good idea, I'll think on a way to put that.

@Alfred Kamon: Hm... That's a good point on summoners.

The problem about defending is that the summoner won't be able to move while defending, so if the enemy is 3 tiles away, you probably won't be able to hit it.

Plus, he can't choose when to deactivate (unless you make the phantom attack something it shouldn't), even if it goes away after 3 turns.

You also can't attack in the turn you start defending, since you will be using the command instead of other things.

But I guess it may be a little broken, I'm not sure, but some decrease in speed would make sense... The summoner is stuck in the place after all, haha.

Oh, and yeah, I'll be releasing it after I'm done!

Anyways, how many colors do you think it's good enough? I've put 36 of them, including the original one, each of them with a little hue change, but I'm not sure if it's too much/enough?

Related question: How many characters do you think it's good enough for renaming?

That doesn't seem like nearly enough letters, several weapons from FE already have longer names than that. 15 seems like a good starting point, but it'd be a better idea to just limit it based on the width of the text, not the number of characters (there's already a method to get the width of a string of text in a given font)

Klok (FAE) is refering to FEXNA.

Its predecessor, FEXP, which this game is made on, is currently available. There might be a topic for it in this section or hacking resources. Also, on FE7x's/bwdyeti's website.

AnonymousSpeed was referring to Galleon's modified fexp engine and so was I.

/presumptions