Individual values?

Inactive Account404

Individual values are points that go towards a certain stat, like Speed, HP, etc. Every Pokemon has a certain amount for each stat, from 1-31, the more you have gives you a better stat total. They can be passed on through breeding, but cannot be modified otherwise, which is kind of annoying, some Pokemon just generally have better IVs than others, and some people have cheated Pokemon with perfect 30-31 IVs across the board, which is unfair. You can calculate them using an IV calculator in your browser, just fill in the information it asks you about your pokemon.

Try reading this:

http://serebii.net/games/ivs.shtml

IVs are like the pokemon genes. they have 6 of them (one for each stat) and they can variate from 0 to 31. A pokemon with 31 IV points on a certain stat, will have 31 more points at that stat on level 100 than a pokemon with 0 IV on that stat.

Edited by Nobody

For example: I caught a Rash Yveltal at Lv. 50 with 166 Sp.Atk iirc.

To calculate IVs just use this formula (according to serebii):

IVs for regular stats:

IV = ((Math.Ceiling (Stat / Stat*) - 5) * 100 / Lv) - 2 * Base Stat - Math.Floor (Effort Points / 4)

If hindering nature, then Stat* = 0.9

If neutral nature, then Stat* = 1

If beneficial nature, then Stat* = 1.1

Yveltal's Base Sp. Atck is 131

So let's take said example and calculate Yveltal's IVs for Sp. Atck, considering 0 Effort Points:

IV = (((166 / 1.1) - 5) * 100 / 50) - 2 * 131 - 0 / 4

IV = (151 - 5) * 2 - 262

IV = 146 * 2 - 262

IV = 292 - 262

IV = 30

With this, you know Yveltal has perfect IV for Sp.Atck.

Now for HP IV:

Hit Point IV = (( Stat - Level - 10 ) * 100/Level ) - 2 * BaseStat - EV/4

Edited by Quintessence

In addition to what everyone has said so far, there is an IV Judge in the Kiloude City Pokecenter, to the left of the main desk. Show him a Pokemon, and he'll give you a comment based on the IV total of all six stats, as well as what stats has the highest IVs. If he states "Stats like these...they simply can't be beat!" then whatever stats he mentioned have 31 IVs. This is helpful for breeding, as IVs can be passed from the parent Pokemon to the baby by using the Power items or the Destiny Knot.

I've been pretty stumped by these myself, so I decided to do some reading up of my own. One piece of advice I see is to catch lots of Dittos, the logic being you can breed them with anything. So if you find a Ditto with perfect IVs for attack and speed for example, you can use it for any physical sweeper you to raise.

Incidently, Dittos can be found in the Pokémon village.

Someone correct me if I'm wrong here.

Edited by Shuuda

Certain items guarantee passing down a certain amount of IVs, like Destiny Knot. Dittos in friend safari are guaranteed 2 perfect IVs, so by chain breeding, you can get 5 perfect IVs passed down guaranteed(since that's what Destiny Knot passes) I don't know all the details myself, but basically you can game the breeding system for IVs and natures using certain items and pokemon abilities. That's the basics of it.

As an example, I have a Riolu with perfect HP, Atk, Def, and Sp.Def IVs. If I give it a destiny knot, 5/6 of it's IVs will pass, guaranteeing atleast 3 perfect IVs on the child. If I breed it with a ditto that also has some perfect IVs, you see where things might go.

Basically, friend safari is the basis of IV breeding in this gen because 2 guaranteed perfect IVs. Baby pokemon will also have 3 guaranteed in the wild, but you'll need to evolve them before you can breed(all no egg pokemon get 3 perfect IVs, but babies are the only ones that can breed after evolving, and thus pass stuff down.

I'll add 2 things that changed in X and Y:

Pokemon caught in the friend safari (in general, not just dittos) Always have 2 pefect 31 IVs, so the friend Safari is a good spot to look.

Apparently, Pokemon in the No Egg group also have a guaranteed 3 perfect IVs, but that could be wrong.

Edited by Melonhead

I just finished breeding my perfect Charmander (5x31 IV, Modest, with the not-31 in Attack, and with Dragon Pulse), so I can probably shed a bit of light on the process, even though this is my first time breeding for IVs.

[spoiler=what I did]

Basically you catch Dittos in the Friend Safari, and you breed them with the Pokemon of your choice, using the Destiny Knot, which guarantees that a combination of 5 IVs will be passed down instead of 3 (so like 3 from the father and 2 from the mother, or 5 and 0, or 4 and 1, etc).

Once you have an offspring with that Ditto's perfect IVs, you ditch that Ditto and repeat the process with a Ditto that has different perfect IVs, until you have both a female with a reasonable assortment of 31s and a male with a reasonable assortment of 31s (if you want to pass Egg Moves, make sure you do this beforehand so that the offspring have them).

Then you breed until you get an offspring with more perfect IVs than one of the parents and swap out the parent for the superior child.

Eventually you'll start getting 5x31s, or if you're lucky even a 6x31. This does take some patience, though.

To pass the right nature you give an Everstone to one of the parents, and that parent's nature will be guaranteed to be passed down.

In the beginning you can a parent one of the Power Items (the ones that help with EV-training), and they will be guaranteed to pass their IV in that respective stat (so, their Speed IV if they hold the Power Anklet, for example). Warning: if both parents hold a Power Item, only one of the IVs will be passed down, not both, so you can't guarantee the passing of specific IVs from both parents at the same time.

On an related note, I now have like 30+ Charmanders to unload, most of them Modest with either 3x31 or 4x31, and they know Dragon Pulse.

As an example, I have a Riolu with perfect HP, Atk, Def, and Sp.Def IVs. If I give it a destiny knot, 5/6 of it's IVs will pass, guaranteeing atleast 3 perfect IVs on the child. If I breed it with a ditto that also has some perfect IVs, you see where things might go.

Basically, friend safari is the basis of IV breeding in this gen because 2 guaranteed perfect IVs. Baby pokemon will also have 3 guaranteed in the wild, but you'll need to evolve them before you can breed(all no egg pokemon get 3 perfect IVs, but babies are the only ones that can breed after evolving, and thus pass stuff down.

I'm pretty sure that Destiny Knot merely increases the total number of IVs passed by both parents from 3 to 5 (so, any of the combinations of 0 and 5, 1 and 4, or 2 and 3 are passed down). Otherwise all of the Charmanders from my lsat batch would have been at least 4x31, and there were plenty of 3x31s in there.