The competitive teams topic.

Alfred Kamon

BTW, what do you guys think of a topic in which we share our competitive teams and give tips to each other, so we can improve them? I'm thinking about creating one once I get back from the gym.

Seconding Nobody's idea (meaning it's mine? ok it's a terrible joke) in this topic we can share our competitive teams, give some tips, ask for help, etc.

Simple as that.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Excellent, now I can more easily thrust my problems upon you.

I mentioned before the idea of building something around Mega Mawile / Salamence, but I'm wondering if Salamence could possibly be replaced by something else. I'm looking mostly at Gyarados, who doesn't have trouble with Fairy type, or maybe Noivern, for Infiltrator. Which do you think would be the best choice?

dem tags

The only fully trained Pokemon I have is Hydreigon - Modest Nature - Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, U-Turn and Focus Blast/Flash Cannon/Fire Blast. Planning on equipping it with a Life Orb.

I'll partner it up with a Togekiss once I finish breeding it.

When December comes, I'll cover up that Ice weakness with a Heatran, but whats a good substitute until that happens?

Other three slots will be filled up with Galvantula, Tyranitar and a stealth rocker. Tyranitar could be the stealth rocker and i'll add in Scizor.

I've never put much thought in Pokemon teams before.

Excellent, now I can more easily thrust my problems upon you.

I mentioned before the idea of building something around Mega Mawile / Salamence, but I'm wondering if Salamence could possibly be replaced by something else. I'm looking mostly at Gyarados, who doesn't have trouble with Fairy type, or maybe Noivern, for Infiltrator. Which do you think would be the best choice?

They have very different roles from each other.

Gyarados can either be a bulky annoying flying fish with great spdef, thunderwave, dragon tail and other annoying moves, or a destructive leaviathan that after a dragon dance can sweep easily also thanks to its ability, Moxie.

Noivern is one of those dragons who're supposedly good with choice items. It doesn't have access to dragon dance IIRC, and it is a special attacker.

If you're going to cover Mawile weaknesses, I think that Gyarados is better: it can dispose of fire types and it's generally bulkier.

I have the feeling that this will be the "priority metagame generation" with all these new entries with Prankster and Gale Wings Talonflame, so you also have to take that in account when making the team.

dem tags

The only fully trained Pokemon I have is Hydreigon - Modest Nature - Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, U-Turn and Focus Blast/Flash Cannon/Fire Blast. Planning on equipping it with a Life Orb.

I'll partner it up with a Togekiss once I finish breeding it.

When December comes, I'll cover up that Ice weakness with a Heatran, but whats a good substitute until that happens?

Other three slots will be filled up with Galvantula, Tyranitar and a stealth rocker. Tyranitar could be the stealth rocker and i'll add in Scizor.

I've never put much thought in Pokemon teams before.

glad you noticed 'em XD

Hydreigon is weak x4 to fairy now, making it quite weaker than in the past... it's a shame, really. However it can now pierce through Steel types with Dark pulse... which is quite good if you're running a Choice item set.

In fact, I think Hydreigon is better with a Choice Scarf. It's pretty slow... it needs it.

Go with Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, Fire Blast and Surf.

I've tested that set for years, and it was great (at least in gen 5).

Any steel pokémon will cover your weaknesses, since it's immune to poison and resists rock (for Togekiss) and it resists Dragon, Ice and Fairy (for Heydreigon). Aggron? Mawile? Scizor (loses resistance to rock)?

Hydreigon is weak x4 to fairy now, making it quite weaker than in the past... it's a shame, really. However it can now pierce through Steel types with Dark pulse... which is quite good if you're running a Choice item set.

In fact, I think Hydreigon is better with a Choice Scarf. It's pretty slow... it needs it.

Go with Draco Meteor, Dark Pulse, Fire Blast and Surf.

I've tested that set for years, and it was great (at least in gen 5).

The only fairies that outspeed Hydreigon are Mega Gardevoir and Whimsicott, I think Hydreigon will be fine in this metagame if I play smart aka she's screwed.

The bigger question is Togekiss. Such an amazing pokemon this generation. I can't decide if I should make it a Nasty Plot booster, a wish passer or an all out bulky attacker.

Any scarfed fairy can destroy your hydreigon. I'm using a scarfed gardevoir with moonblast and i can say that she is being pretty good so far. I think that might become a commun combination.

Edited by Nobody

The only fairies that outspeed Hydreigon are Mega Gardevoir and Whimsicott, I think Hydreigon will be fine in this metagame if I play smart aka she's screwed.

The bigger question is Togekiss. Such an amazing pokemon this generation. I can't decide if I should make it a Nasty Plot booster, a wish passer or an all out bulky attacker.

and Xerneas

yeah Togekiss is looking pretty good

So...

My "team" (just a bunch of EV trained pokemon with perfect IVs) is

Gengar @focus sach /levitate

timid 252 SPA 252SPE

Sludge bomb

thunderbolt

shadow ball

destiny bond

Blaziken @blazikenite / speed boost

Adamant 252 ATK 252 SPE

Protect

High jump kick

hone claws

flare blitz

Greninja @expect belt / protean

Timid 252 SPA 252 SPE

Ice Beam

Surf

Extrasensory

Dark Pulse

Gardevoir @choice scarf / trace

Modest 252 SPA 252 SPE

Moonblast

psychic

filler

filler

Garchomp @Life Orb / Sand Veil

Jolly 252 ATK 252 SPD

Dragon Claw

Fire Fang

Earthquake

Aerial Ace

Dragonite @Weakness Policy / Multiscale

Adamant 252 ATK 252 SPD

Dragon Dance

Dragon Claws

Thunder punch

Earthquake (sadly no extremespeed yet =/)

I mostly play the online ranked battles, and pick 3 of those pokemon.

How could I improve my team, or give it more synergy?

Edited by Nobody

Too many choices damn it.

I just want a team that will get me through the Battle Maison.

I'm already preparing a Greninja but I've got so many other options I'm looking at as well. Looking at Mega Kangaskhan for one, not sure about the last for singles.

My team that i used on PS!

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef
Sassy Nature
- Crunch
- Pursuit
- Stone Edge
- Fire Blast

Excadrill @ Life Orb
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rock Slide
- Swords Dance

Gengar @ Black Sludge
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP
Timid Nature
- Disable
- Substitute
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Gliscor @ Flying Gem
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd
Impish Nature
- Acrobatics
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Roost

Celebi @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 252 SAtk / 220 HP / 36 Spd
Modest Nature
- Nasty Plot
- Giga Drain
- Psychic
- Baton Pass

Poliwrath @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 180 Def
Impish Nature
- Circle Throw
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Substitute

Old Member:

Metagross

252 HP/252 ATK/ 6 whatever

Thunderpunch

Ice Punch

Bullet Punch

Zen Headbutt

Quite of a sidenote, i think you guys underestimated Hydreigon for this gen. Dark Pulse getting better Neutral Coverage is pretty cool.

Oh oh do me.

Leafeon@Shell Bell(Life Orb goes here)

Jolly

252 attack/speed, 4 defense

Leaf Guard

-Leaf Blade

-X-Scissor

-Return

-Synthesis(I should put Swords Dance here iunno)

Mienshao@Black Belt

Lax

164 HP, 88 Attack, 252 Defense

Regenerator

-Hi Jump Kick

-Drain Punch

-Fake Out

-U Turn

Porygon2@Eviolite

Sassy

48 Defense, 210 Special Attack, 252 Special Defense

Download

-Ice Beam

-Thunderbolt

-Tri Attack

-Recover

Chandelure@Expert Belt

Timid

48 Defense, 210 Special Attack, 252 Speed

Flash Fire

-Flamethrower

-Energy Ball

-Psychic

-Shadow Ball

Rhyperior@Leftovers

Brave(I settled for this, eat me)

252 HP/Defense, 4 Attack

Solid Rock

-Earthquake

-Stone Edge

-Dragon Tail

-Stealth Rock(huehuehue)

Drapion@Black Sludge

Jolly

88 HP, 164 Attack, 252 Defense

Battle Armor

-Toxic Spikes

-Crunch

-Poison Jab

-Ice Fang

My team. I'm sending it to Y when I get it/PokeBank comes out. I can't help but feel something is off, yet I'm still proud of this team. Sitting in my White version.

Thanks in large part to Klefki(one of my fave new pokemon).I can now achieve my goal of developing a rain team. Greninja, Heliolisk and Ludicolo get the job done most of the time but when there down (life orb ko, rain disappears etc) it's usually game over for me. Most often it's other fragile sweepers that take advantage of this(i.e. gengar, alakazam). I'm planning on equipping a few critters with aqua jet(which gets a boost in the rain) to counter these fast threats.

The three I have in mind aqua jet equipping is a soon to be Mega blastoise(whose attack power goes up when mega evolving, plus is extra bulky), adamant swift swim beartic and an adamant dragonite.

I'd like some advice on movesets and ev spread. With mega blastoise I'd like to know whether it's better that I should go full physical with bulk EVs or be a mixed attacker to take advantage of mega launcher. I want Dragonite to have aqua jet in case it's in a situation where it will be unable to hit first, cause you can't predict the outcome of battle. Should I go with the classic dragon dance/agility moveset or something bulky recovery (i.e. roost, thunder wave) based? With Beartic I want to use bait and trick tactics, is pursuit a good move to add?

Thanks in large part to Klefki(one of my fave new pokemon).I can now achieve my goal of developing a rain team. Greninja, Heliolisk and Ludicolo get the job done most of the time but when there down (life orb ko, rain disappears etc) it's usually game over for me. Most often it's other fragile sweepers that take advantage of this(i.e. gengar, alakazam). I'm planning on equipping a few critters with aqua jet(which gets a boost in the rain) to counter these fast threats.

The three I have in mind aqua jet equipping is a soon to be Mega blastoise(whose attack power goes up when mega evolving, plus is extra bulky), adamant swift swim beartic and an adamant dragonite.

I'd like some advice on movesets and ev spread. With mega blastoise I'd like to know whether it's better that I should go full physical with bulk EVs or be a mixed attacker to take advantage of mega launcher. I want Dragonite to have aqua jet in case it's in a situation where it will be unable to hit first, cause you can't predict the outcome of battle. Should I go with the classic dragon dance/agility moveset or something bulky recovery (i.e. roost, thunder wave) based? With Beartic I want to use bait and trick tactics, is pursuit a good move to add?

No politoed? It's not as good as it used to be, but I think it's still good enough for a dedicated rain team.

It's not that I don't want to use one(sounds awesome) but atm I don't have anyone who's willing to a do a trade evolution-return back procedure. I don't think any local people I know currently have the game either.

Edited by Gregosa

It's not that I don't want to use one(sounds awesome) but atm I don't have anyone who's willing to a do a trade evolution-return back procedure. I don't think any local people I know currently have the game either.

I'm sure someone here would be more than willing to help you out.

Me, for example.

I'm sure someone here would be more than willing to help you out.

Me, for example.

I think those three will do for now. I'm already very pleased with the generosity on this forum. For example I got lucky in the safari and managed to breed a protean modest Greninja.It would be much appreciated if someone has a female poliwag with the hidden ability but aren't the safari encounters rare?

I've only got one so far, and am considering another (depending on how Eevee's egg moves pan out)

Gardevoir (Modest, gotta calculate IVs, standard special sweeper EV set, item TBA)

Psychic

Moonblast

Thunderbolt

Energy Ball

Thunderbolt is to make sure that most Steels don't wall him. Energy Ball covers what Thunderbolt won't hit (Ground).

Not sure what to do with Flareon, besides get one that doesn't have single-digit IVs in half its stats. Flare Blitz works maybe twice, at most (then Flareon dies from recoil).

EDIT:

I think those three will do for now. I'm already very pleased with the generosity on this forum. For example I got lucky in the safari and managed to breed a protean modest Greninja.It would be much appreciated if someone has a female poliwag with the hidden ability but aren't the safari encounters rare?

If I see one, it's yours. I swear my hidden ability is to trigger that horde in the Pokemon Village.

Edited by eclipse

Hydreigon doesn't need the scarf to outspeed other fairies, but to outspeed other dragons (most of which are potentially quicker than it). Having x4 weakness to Fairy and no particular moves that can cope with that type, just means that leaving Hydreigon in when the opponent sends out a Fairy is suicide. Just switch it with someone else. With the scarf you also outspeed Gengar and Alakazam (base forme) that with their fairy Gleam would destroy you in an instant.

So...

My "team" (just a bunch of EV trained pokemon with perfect IVs) is

Gengar @focus sach /levitate

timid 252 SPA 252SPE

Sludge bomb

thunderbolt

shadow ball

destiny bond

Blaziken @blazikenite / speed boost

Adamant 252 ATK 252 SPE

Protect

High jump kick

hone claws

flare blitz

Greninja @expect belt / protean

Timid 252 SPA 252 SPE

Ice Beam

Surf

Extrasensory

Dark Pulse

Gardevoir @choice scarf / trace

Modest 252 SPA 252 SPE

Moonblast

psychic

filler

filler

Garchomp @Life Orb / Sand Veil

Jolly 252 ATK 252 SPD

Dragon Claw

Fire Fang

Earthquake

Aerial Ace

Dragonite @Weakness Policy / Multiscale

Adamant 252 ATK 252 SPD

Dragon Dance

Dragon Claws

Thunder punch

Earthquake (sadly no extremespeed yet =/)

I mostly play the online ranked battles, and pick 3 of those pokemon.

How could I improve my team, or give it more synergy?

First things I notice is that you have 3 pokémon weak to Fairy, and the only one that resist that type is Gengar who is a little frail.

Moreover, you don't have anyone who could resist that spammed Gale Wings Talonflame (apart from Dragonite to some extent).

Aerial Ace on Garchomp... why? Sword Dance would be better, maybe.

Give Greninja the Grass Knot for better coverage and resistances thanks to Protean, instead of Dark Pulse (which basically mantains its natural type making it obvious).

As for the synergy, it's difficult to have that in 3vs3 matches, especially with a team of sweepers like yours.

Too many choices damn it.

I just want a team that will get me through the Battle Maison.

I'm already preparing a Greninja but I've got so many other options I'm looking at as well. Looking at Mega Kangaskhan for one, not sure about the last for singles.

If you go for Greninja and Kangaskhan, you might consider to have a third who resists fighting.

My team that i used on PS!

Tyranitar @ Assault Vest

Ability: Sand Stream

EVs: 252 HP / 252 SDef

Sassy Nature

- Crunch

- Pursuit

- Stone Edge

- Fire Blast

Excadrill @ Life Orb

Ability: Sand Rush

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 HP

Adamant Nature

- Earthquake

- Iron Head

- Rock Slide

- Swords Dance

Gengar @ Black Sludge

Ability: Levitate

EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 HP

Timid Nature

- Disable

- Substitute

- Shadow Ball

- Focus Blast

Gliscor @ Flying Gem

Ability: Poison Heal

EVs: 184 Def / 252 HP / 72 Spd

Impish Nature

- Acrobatics

- Stealth Rock

- Earthquake

- Roost

Celebi @ Leftovers

Ability: Natural Cure

EVs: 252 SAtk / 220 HP / 36 Spd

Modest Nature

- Nasty Plot

- Giga Drain

- Psychic

- Baton Pass

Poliwrath @ Leftovers

Ability: Water Absorb

EVs: 248 HP / 8 SDef / 180 Def

Impish Nature

- Circle Throw

- Waterfall

- Ice Punch

- Substitute

Old Member:

Metagross

252 HP/252 ATK/ 6 whatever

Thunderpunch

Ice Punch

Bullet Punch

Zen Headbutt

Quite of a sidenote, i think you guys underestimated Hydreigon for this gen. Dark Pulse getting better Neutral Coverage is pretty cool.

The metagame from pokémon showdown is a little different from the one in the current version of the games. (i.e. people play differently)

Your team has unobtainable pokémon (due to the Bank still being closed) and items (Flying Gem) so it can't really serve as an example.

This topic is for in-game teams, after all.

Oh oh do me.

Leafeon@Shell Bell(Life Orb goes here)

Jolly

252 attack/speed, 4 defense

Leaf Guard

-Leaf Blade

-X-Scissor

-Return

-Synthesis(I should put Swords Dance here iunno)

Mienshao@Black Belt

Lax

164 HP, 88 Attack, 252 Defense

Regenerator

-Hi Jump Kick

-Drain Punch

-Fake Out

-U Turn

Porygon2@Eviolite

Sassy

48 Defense, 210 Special Attack, 252 Special Defense

Download

-Ice Beam

-Thunderbolt

-Tri Attack

-Recover

Chandelure@Expert Belt

Timid

48 Defense, 210 Special Attack, 252 Speed

Flash Fire

-Flamethrower

-Energy Ball

-Psychic

-Shadow Ball

Rhyperior@Leftovers

Brave(I settled for this, eat me)

252 HP/Defense, 4 Attack

Solid Rock

-Earthquake

-Stone Edge

-Dragon Tail

-Stealth Rock(huehuehue)

Drapion@Black Sludge

Jolly

88 HP, 164 Attack, 252 Defense

Battle Armor

-Toxic Spikes

-Crunch

-Poison Jab

-Ice Fang

My team. I'm sending it to Y when I get it/PokeBank comes out. I can't help but feel something is off, yet I'm still proud of this team. Sitting in my White version.

You're weak to ground and there is nobody who resists it apart from Leafeon, who isn't *that* good... I mean, Jolly nature isn't one of the best for it, since it stays slow in any case, and its moveset isn't that great either (it gets totally walled by steel types, for example). I would suggest changing a couple of pokémon to adjust your resistances. Also try to have entry hazards on one single pokémon if possible. For stealth rock + toxic spikes you have Nidoqueen or Nidoking, for example, and for Toxic Spikes + Spikes Venipede, who is particularly strong in gen 6 thanks to its new hidden ability Speed Boost. Porygon2 is a great choice, I like it. ;)

In general, your team also has slow pokémon... I'd suggest giving Trick Room to Chandelure or put some quicker pokémon as well.

Edited by Alfred Kamon