The competitive teams topic.

Alfred Kamon

That's interesting. Which item did you give to Greninja? Choice Band?

In my opinion, Choice Items destroy what makes Protean so threatening, so I went with Life Orb.

• Replies 387
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

In my opinion, Choice Items destroy what makes Protean so threatening, so I went with Life Orb.

I agree with this. I was using a grenienja (shifted it for rotom-W) and using choice items on it was kind of pointless.

Edited by Nobody

Alright I came up with an efficient way to have fun fighting you guys and getting the pokemon I want. I really don't want to waste time staying up late to get the pokemon I want. We all live in different time zones so this should be a good compromise. For example I live in the Pacific Northwest so this should be convenient for players from Vancouver, LA, Seattle etc.

If anybody challenges me to a battle could you please trade with me? Win or lose I will automatically trade with you. I don't care even if your team is full of caterpies.

The first critter I want is a timburr with iron fist. I don't care at all about gender/nature. Just give me timburr with iron fist. Whoever responds first will get two guys of there choosing cause this guy requires a trade. If you dont have that a modest or calm evee is good too.

I don't want to waste time relying on random encounters and other annoying stuff.

For extra efficiency if you say yes on this message board I will give you extra extra priority. I'm having an easy time getting challenges accepted but not trades, so I might as well combine the two.

Fun moveset idea/how to turn Greninja into a real ninja: Spikes/Substitute/shadow sneak/night slash. All four have immunities.

Edited by Gregosa

The problem with Toxic Sylveon is that Sylveon's main switch-ins are Blissey, steel-typed Pokémon and... poison-typed Pokémon. None of which really cares about Toxic, so you might want to replace it with something else (roar, reflect, wish)

Good point. Not sure why I was saying I didn't want to use wish. Chalk it up to posting late night

consider pairing mlucario with landorus; because they're both fast hard-hitters whose checks tend to overlap, sacrificing mlucario (landorus) to take out a check can let landorus (mlucario) sweep if you play it properly. defensive gyarados is a problem for lucario, so bring stealth rocks and a way of repeatedly forcing out gyarados (rotom-w, for example)

Something to consider I suppose. Though you can't get Landorus 'til Pokebank comes out in december if I'm not mistaken. Also I know veryy little about Landorus or most of gen V for that matter (B&W and their sequels just didn't hook me). Come December I'll have to study up.

• 3 weeks later...

Resurrecting this thread.

I want to make a Fire, Water, Grass core for my team.

Can someone tell me the mechanics of such a core and which Pokemon would work well in such a core?

The premise of any core is to have Pokemon with good offensive synergy--that is, multiple 'mons that each help each other set up a sweep by, for example, all having the same counters and overloading the opponent's counter(s)--and/or good defensive synergy, in which the members are each capable of patching up each other's typing weaknesses. There's no reason to focus strictly on a FWG core over any other equally performing core beyond aesthetics. I would expect FWG cores in the current metagame to get slammed by Mega Kangaskhan, anyway.

• 2 weeks later...

After some... frustrations, I did a bit more work on my team building for 3 vs 3 singles. I've come up with six Pokémon who fit well together, and I wondering if anyone has any suggestions for improvements.

[spoiler=Mr Meowstic's Menagerie of Madness]

Meowstic (Male): Calm, Prankster, Light Clay

- Light Screen

- Reflect

- Thunder Wave

- Psychic

Meowstic is the glue that hold everything together. He puts up screens to assist my set ups, or bulky attackers, and cripples fast enemies with Thunder Wave. I've found that in particular, Noivern falls prey to him quite often.

Mawile: Adamant, Intimitate => Huge Power, Mawilite

- Swords Dance

- Play Rough

- Iron Head

- Sucker Punch

With Reflect up, plus Intimidate, she has an easy time setting up Swords Dance. From then on, it's brute force all the way. She pairs off with Dragonite, for type synergy. Sucker Punch is priority, and the other moves are STAB moves.

Dragonite: Adamant, Multiscale, Lum Berry

- Dragon Dance

- Thunder Punch

- Dragon Claw

- Earthquake

Pretty typical Dragonite. Screens and Multiscale ensure it can tank at least one hit, and Lum Berry prevents status. Excellent type in tandem with Mawile. Together, they resist everything, except Ghost and Electric (unless I'm mistaken).

Ampharos: Modest, Static => Mold Breaker, Ampharosite

- Volt Switch

- Focus Blast

- Dragon Pulse

- Discharge

Ampharos, together with Scizor, provide a slightly different strategy than Mawile / Dragonite. Basically, I'm going for a powerful VoltTurn combo. Meowstics Thunder Wave helps Ampharos get some good hits. Even without paralysis, Ampharos can tank hits while screens are up.

Scizor: Adamant, Technician, Choice Band

- Bullet Punch

- Brick Break

- Pursuit

- U-Turn

She covers three of Mega Ampharos's weaknesses, and provides the physical half of the duo. It's a really straight forward set. Thanks to a boatload of other resistences, she can take a while to wear down.

Togekiss: Modest, Serene Grace, Leftovers

- Roost

- Air Slash

- Dazzling Gleam

- Flamethrower

The team's joker, but I really like him. He's brilliant if Meowstic can spread plenty of paralysis, and can tank special hits all day with Light Screen up.

Oh, and removing Ampharos would not count as an improvement, because that would make the team less beautiful.

The only thing I can think of is replacing Psychic with Safeguard. That, and maybe replacing Meowstic altogether with Klefki, who I find to have a better defensive typing, fitting of a suicide lead trying to set up as much as it can before dying.

Either way, a nasty burn can shut down that Mawile, so Safeguard may turn out to be useful. Especially with Will-O-Wisp Rotom-W running rampant online.

Also, if it's a single battle, perhaps Thunderbolt would be better than Discharge. Discharge has the advantage of hitting multiple Pokémon, something you don't do in single battles. The 30% paralysis rate really isn't needed much either, if you have Thunder Wave on Klefki/Meowstic.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

*snip*

Meowstic is going to be forced out by dark types and is potential pursuit bait with Psychic as its only attack move. I would consider Power-Up Punch for Mawile (pretty sure it gets it) instead of Swords dance. Its attack is already high after one stage up, and it gets to deal more damage and helps it break down steel types during its setup. And if you run mega Ampharos instead of mega Mawile, I might have Klefki instead of Meowstic to set up screens. Since Ampharos is running Discharge rather than Thunderbolt in your set, the paralysis support is not as important and then you can run screens/Spikes/Play Rough or Foul Play (depending on what you want out of the set though Klefki can do a bajillion things), which is better support for Ampharos.

The premise of any core is to have Pokemon with good offensive synergy--that is, multiple 'mons that each help each other set up a sweep by, for example, all having the same counters and overloading the opponent's counter(s)--and/or good defensive synergy, in which the members are each capable of patching up each other's typing weaknesses. There's no reason to focus strictly on a FWG core over any other equally performing core beyond aesthetics. I would expect FWG cores in the current metagame to get slammed by Mega Kangaskhan, anyway.

we all know that FWG cores always have heatran anyway

I'm reluctant to use Kelfki, because it shares weaknesses with a lot of my other team members. Running one with Scizor and Ampharos could lead to all shorts of awkward moments. Meowstic, by contrast, shares no weaknesses with anyone on my team, so I think it provides better switch in chances. He might be as defensive as Kelfki, but I rarely have trouble getting both screens and at least one Thunder Wave before he cops it.

I'll have to look into Safeguard.

Edited by Shuuda

It prevents all status effects, so knowing that you can't be paralyzed, burned, put asleep, confused, or poisoned is rather reassuring.

And I've seen Thunder Save, Spore, Sleep Powder, and Will-O-Wisp on quite a few Pokémon. Toxic, not so much.

Edited by Fruity Insanity

I was never really big on the competitive scene, but when I did battle, I did a fairly good job in OU. Now, with the New Gen and all, tear lists are starting to be built. I always liked throwing the meta out of whack, which is what I tried to do with this team. Assume that each poke has the best nature for them.

Metagross, Clear Body, Leftovers
-Bullet Punch
-Hammer Arm

-Pursuit (until Stealth Rock becomes available)
-Zen Headbutt

Tyranitar, Sand Stream (Possibly Unnerve), Assault Vest
-Stone Edge

-Earthquake

-Brick Break

-Crunch

Jolteon, Volt Absorb, Choice Specs

-Thunderbolt

-Volt Switch

-Shadow Ball

-Hidden Power (hopefully grass or ice)

Azumarill, Huge Power, Choice Band

-Aqua Jet

-Waterfall

-Play Rough

-Superpower

Talonflame, Gale Wings, Life Orb

-Roost

-Brave Bird

-Flare Blitz

-U-turn

Banette, Frisk > Prankster, Banetite

-Shadow Sneak

-Protect

-Will-o-Wisp

-Destiny Bond

What do you guys think?

Banette, Frisk > Prankster, Banetite

-Shadow Sneak

-Protect

-Will-o-Wisp

-Destiny Bond

Uh, the only thing I can think of is to swap out Protect for something a bit more useful like Confuse Ray or Taunt or something. There might be a use for Protect, but I can't see one myself. Just a suggestion.

Uh, the only thing I can think of is to swap out Protect for something a bit more useful like Confuse Ray or Taunt or something. There might be a use for Protect, but I can't see one myself. Just a suggestion.

Prankster won't activate until after the Mega Evolution takes place. Protect will guarantee a safe Mega Evolution.

Craig has it right. Banette needs to survive the turn it comes out on in order to get Mega benefits, it has quite mediocre defenses, so it will get one shotted by most things without protect. Once prankster is up though, I get priority WoWs and D-Bond if I need to. This banette is mainly to counter the rampant Aegislash and other physical powerhouses that I can't just wall.

MegaBanette may not fit into the same tier as the rest of my team, but it throws the meta out of whack a bit, which I like to do.

I don't want to be rude, but why do you keep saying you want to throw the meta " out of whack" when almost all your team looks pretty par the course. Your Talonflame, Azumarill, Jolteon, and Tyranitar are all pretty predictable. I'd argue your Bannette is obvious too, since what else is a Mega Bannette going to do. The only oddball on your team is Metagross. Thanks to big nerf to Steel types, his popularly has probably crashed.

I'm not saying your team is bad, since I'm hardly a worthy judge, I just don't see what's so unpredictable and strange about it.

Also, just as a word of caution, most of the physical powerhouses out there have priority moves, which might get around Destiny Bond.

Metagross is a huge meta threat in Doubles, and my favorite in singles. I'm pretty sad that its not alvailable in VGC 14 thanks to the amount of ridiculous strats that he can stop T_T

Also Gastrodon. I mean, why?

I don't want to be rude, but why do you keep saying you want to throw the meta " out of whack" when almost all your team looks pretty par the course. Your Talonflame, Azumarill, Jolteon, and Tyranitar are all pretty predictable. I'd argue your Bannette is obvious too, since what else is a Mega Bannette going to do. The only oddball on your team is Metagross. Thanks to big nerf to Steel types, his popularly has probably crashed.

I'm not saying your team is bad, since I'm hardly a worthy judge, I just don't see what's so unpredictable and strange about it.

Also, just as a word of caution, most of the physical powerhouses out there have priority moves, which might get around Destiny Bond.

You don't seem rude, don't worry. I'm not trying to make the whole team subversive, just you don't really see MegaBanette or Banette for that matter at all, really. Or at least I haven't. If the established meta includes Banette and the strategy I intend to use, then please forgive my ignorance. I realize that Talonflame, Tyranitar, are still really prominent as well as Jolteon being a standard sweeper.

On the topic of Mega Banette...

Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave/Protect/Shadow Sneak?

Will-o-Wisp/Calm Mind/Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam?

I've been trying to come up with sets for it for a while now (In spite of never having used it and not knowing the current state of the metagame). Doubt it's enough to make Banette worth its mega slot, but still.

Edited by Alg

On the topic of Mega Banette...

Will-o-Wisp/Thunder Wave/Protect/Shadow Sneak?

Will-o-Wisp/Calm Mind/Shadow Ball/Dazzling Gleam?

I've been trying to come up with sets for it for a while now (In spite of never having used it and not knowing the current state of the metagame). Doubt it's enough to make Banette worth its mega slot, but still.

I think the first set is pretty much the only one Mega Banette can reliably run (with some possibility of variance in the support moves), since it plays well for its strengths (Prankster and 165 base attack).