Who do you think are the most overrated and underrated characters? [Fire Emblem: Awakening]

This is my first topic, so please go easy on me. I don't think I've seen a topic of overrated and underrated characters of Fire Emblem: Awakening so...

Playing Fire Emblem: Awakening for a while has caused me to ask this;

Who do you think are the most overrated and underrated characters of FE:A? Please state your reasons why when you state your opinion.

EDIT: I mean which characters are overrated either as a unit (like how they are in battle) AND/OR personality. Can be either.

My opinions are:

Overrated-

Tharja: I think she's overrated because most people seem to like her just for her body. I don't hear any praise for her personality or not, all I just hear is, "She's really hot." Her personality is interesting for sure, and most people probably think her personality is creepy or amusing (Depending on which side you're on). Personally, I think she's kind of creepy but I guess that's part of her characteristics?

Owain: Now, for some reason Owain is one of the most popular characters if FE:A. I don't know why, he just is. I think he's over-hyped because everyone that's a fan of him is like, "He's the awesomest character ever!" Also, I think fans like him because he shouts Fire Emblem references all the time. Sure, he's not a bad character, but I don't think he's one of the best ones. As for if he's hot or not...that depends on your opinion. Owain even topped Chrom in some of the character polls, which surprised me. He is pretty funny in parts of the game, though.

Underrated-

Maribelle: Okay, for some reason a lot of people give Maribelle a lot of hate. I think it's because people don't like spoiled, snotty personality types. But honestly, she isn't that bad. She just takes a long time to warm up to people (which I understand completely). If you get to know her (especially evident in the support conversations), she's actually a very kindhearted person. Heck, most of the people in the game didn't like her, and Lissa stepped out and befriended her. Maribelle and Libra's supports are an example of her sweet side coming to play.

Ricken: Most people say Ricken's annoying. Personally, I don't think he is. I mean, how would you feel if you were younger than everyone else, and they treated you like a child? That wouldn't make me very happy if everyone underestimated me all the time just because I'm younger than them. He just wants to prove himself that he is an equal just like the other characters. Also I found out the people that hate Ricken also hate him as a unit. He starts out a little fragile, but he turned out to be a good Dark Knight in my game later on. I actually find him to be quite adorable, imo.

Edited by LuigiandShadowGirl

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

TC, I think actually a good lot of Awakening characters are underrated, because people here keep pressing on how "bad" the script is. I would add Gregor and Cherche to the list of underrated characters. I have no problem with Ricken except for the fact Miriel is a better unit. And I LOVE Maribelle!

I think Tharja is overrated but her character has some merit, even though she's annoying most of the time with the creepy obsession for the Avatar. She's not THAT good-looking either, although she's an efficient unit.

Now, you must be aware that, from my short stay here, SF isn't like other forums and popular characters in other places get a lot of hate here. I'm sure my favorite character will pop up in this thread sooner or later but I don't care as long as I identify a lot with her.

Edited by Malebolganone

@Malebolganone

Now that I think about it...you are right, a lot of characters can be underrated. I guess, i made the topic a little too vague.

I agree with you. Gregor is super awesome and I think he's really funny in most of his supports. Cherche...I think she's overlooked. I think she'd be more popular if other characters didn't exist, (Lucina, Tharja, etc.)

I don't know, everywhere I look on the internet most people say they marry Tharja cause she's "hot." She is an efficient unit, yes, she's a really good sorcerer on my current team.

Yeah I didn't know that because I'm new to SF. ^^;

Cherche is ridiculously underrated, considering her character. Sadly, she's a piss-poor unit whose eugenics blow.

Overrated

Owain: He could be 10 times stronger then Seth and even then he would still not live up to the hype he gets.

Cordelia: I agree with everyone that she's a good unit, but I never thought of her being the goddess on wings that many people claim she is.

Underrated

Ricken: Many people think he's the worst unit in the game and I think that isn't really the case at all. At his worst he's just decent. He gets reliable and strong chip damage with elwind and his good defense base and growth actually allows him to have an enemy phase, unlike Miriel.

I also don't think he's that annoying. I thought he was pretty likeable for a kid character. He isn't exactly the brat many people make him out to be.

And thus the proud tradition of "overrated/underrated" threads continues where the TC doesn't even bother to specify context...

Edited by Levant Fortner

Virion is a good example of underrated character. Ranked worst character in the game in this very forum's tier list, and I don't fault the list makers because archers are hard to use in this game; a very funny and likable buffoon otherwise.

I think Cordelia gets unfair hate, and a lot of it has to do with the fact she's popular. I admit she isn't a goddess, although to me, she's the most beautiful lady in the game. I think you understand Cordelia better if you've been through much unrequited love. I've also had a few achievements in my life, and, like her, I've always been humble about those things. She's not the most developed character in the game, but she's the one I identify with the most. It also has to do with me having a soft spot for redhead girls...

Also Avatar, overrated? He isn't even a character. Though I loved it when everyone was cheering him on against Grima, effectively stealing Chrom's spotlight.

Edited by Malebolganone

Overrated: Severa, Inigo, Owain, The Avatar, Henry

Underrated: Maribelle, Gregor, Cherche, Yarne, Panne, Virion, Basilio, Flavia

Naw I don't think Inigo, Severa or Henry are overrated, if anything Inigo was severely overshadowed by Owain and Severa was severely overshadowed by Lucina. Henry is rather meh as a unit and character, but I wouldn't call him overrated. The characters who I think are overrated are Owain, Lucina, Chrom, and Tharja. I don't have a problem with any of them in fact I actually really like owain and Lucina. But you can't say that they aren't overrated. Especially Owain, Lucina, and Chrom who are very recognized by many, and even being used by people who don't play Fire Emblem.

As for who I think is underrated, I say that Brady and Cynthia are extremely underrated. Both are great!

When it all comes down to it, Kellam holds the title for the most underrated.

Kellam? Was that the name of an NPC somewhere?

But yeah, Owain is overrated. Sure, he's not bad as a character but not really a god either. As for the most underrated, I'd say Panne the Taguel.

And thus the proud tradition of "overrated/underrated" threads continues where the TC doesn't even bother to specify context...

I assume we're speaking of actual characters, and not just treating them as their units (though I did mention both).

I don't have this game yet, but i can tell that Tharja an Owain have so much hype that even a weapon glitched manakete can't live up to.

I don't see much about Gregor, and his supports and speech sound hilarious, as well as being a mercenary. when's the last time we had a bad one of them?

Pff, easy for me.

Overrated: Chrom, Lucina, Tharja, Sumia. The first two are just boring as hell and I don't see what people like about them at all. Tharja is just creepy and mean as hell, and all she does is serve is as fanservice, which is just stupid, imo. Sumia, I would have liked if her klutziness gimmick was portrayed as comedic rather than boring and stupid. All she does is fall flat on her face all the time and complain that she can't do anything right. If her klutziness had, say, caused some humorous accidents and she laughed at herself for it, I'd really like her. But nope. I really don't get how people find her cute at all. She does have a nice design though.

Underrated: Frederick, Donnel, Stahl. Especially Frederick and Donnel. Frederick is just always shoved on the "eh, he's okay" list and I think he's way more awesome than his popularity suggests. And I feel like I'm the only person that adores Donnel at all. :( Won't stop me from loving them of course, especially considering how much I love Frederick to pieces. :wub: Stahl is just such an awesome nice guy and I always find scatterbrains to be funny, entertaining characters. lol This guy needs more fans too!

No one has brought up Stahl or Sully, despite them being solid units and having good support convos. I demand shirtless Stahl artwork IS!

EDIT: ninja'd, but I still have legitimate points

Edited by Rhys

Pff, easy for me.

hell

hell

stupid

stupid

This isn't "bash the characters to hell and display your undying hatred" thread... and while that can be arguable for the fact that this is all the Awakening board talks about these days... It's *SUPPOSED* to be civilized, no matter how wishful thinking that is for a thread like this.

Edited by shadowofchaos

Underrated: Frederick, Donnel, Stahl. Especially Frederick and Donnel. Frederick is just always shoved on the "eh, he's okay" list and I think he's way more awesome than his popularity suggests. And I feel like I'm the only person that adores Donnel at all. :( Won't stop me from loving them of course, especially considering how much I love Frederick to pieces. :wub: Stahl is just such an awesome nice guy and I always find scatterbrains to be funny, entertaining characters. lol This guy needs more fans too!

All I've ever seen is love for Stahl.