Who do you think are the most overrated and underrated characters? [Fire Emblem: Awakening]

• Replies 192
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Overrated? Um... Probably Tharja. Every guy I know marries her in every playthrough. Yes, she's got a nice derrière, but...

Underrated would probably be Maribelle. I really enjoyed having a petite blonde girl in pink killing things with an axe. Everyone else I know never touches her.

I find it interesting after seeing the responses that Tharja had almost no effect on me.

However. First time playing, I recruited her and used her to clean up the map. The boss had a 2% crit chance, kills her. Restart, get her again, wyvern reinforcements come, one gets to her, 2% crit chance, kills her. So she's probably cursed just beyond my approval.

Overrated? Um... Probably Tharja. Every guy I know marries her in every playthrough. Yes, she's got a nice derrière, but...

Eww...

Also props for using the word "derrière"...

Underrated would probably be Maribelle. I really enjoyed having a petite blonde girl in pink killing things with an axe. Everyone else I know never touches her.

Because Maribelle dies in one hit to everything and, unfortunately, Lissa has a good chance of being much higher leveled when you reach Maribelle's join chapter. So most players stick with Lissa instead of giving Maribelle a chance, or using two healers (although the loss of one combat unit really hurts).

But once you learn she actually has a sadistic side to her personality, you can like her more. "Do your worst!"

I personally think Donnel is pretty underrated I don't see much support for him here at all on this site. All you have to do is get up to level 10 second seal and let his growth rates take over. I also really like the fact he's just an average farm boy risking his life for a noble cause.

The problem with donnel is EVERYONE and their mother having such good growths that getting donnel up to lv 10 just isn't worth it. Having to start at E rank again is not very solid too~

Basically, this. Plus the fact you have basically -1 unit while you're leveling him since he's pretty crappy and takes long to get going.

Eww...Also props for using the word "derrière"...Because Maribelle dies in one hit to everything and, unfortunately, Lissa has a good chance of being much higher leveled when you reach Maribelle's join chapter. So most players stick with Lissa instead of giving Maribelle a chance, or using two healers (although the loss of one combat unit really hurts).But once you learn she actually has a sadistic side to her personality, you can like her more. "Do your worst!"

Yeah, I figure she's probably not the best stat-wise, but she's fun. I always end up alternating between her and Lissa.

Yeah, I figure she's probably not the best stat-wise, but she's fun. I always end up alternating between her and Lissa.

Also another thing that hampers Maribelle in the early game is that she's a mounted unit, so she's quite bad in the desert chapters. But I love her as a Valkyrie. Actually I thought she was most people's go-to healer since she has more movement than Lissa, and Lissa is almost just as frail.

Also another thing that hampers Maribelle in the early game is that she's a mounted unit, so she's quite bad in the desert chapters. But I love her as a Valkyrie. Actually I thought she was most people's go-to healer since she has more movement than Lissa, and Lissa is almost just as frail.

Lissa gets Prologue, 4 Chapters and a Paralogue 1 as a head start where she is the only available healer. Furthermore, she has a monopoly on the earlygame, where turncounts are high, and pretty much everyone will be taking substantial damage bar Kellam and Frederick. Its the perfect environment for levelling a Cleric, and so Lissa always turns out pretty decent for me.

I have used Maribelle once, but Ch7 is a quick chapter where she can't heal much and Wyverns will kill her and then 8 and 9 are desert maps. Only Ch6 and Par2, which favour her high Mov, are kind enough to allow some levels but its so easy for her to find well behind Lissa, who maintains her usefulness in the desert maps and by Ch10 she's primed for promotion so she can start attacking. Given the line-up of the following few chapters, Maribelle finds it hard to catch up especially because, she's already sharing exp with a character who is serving adequately until Anna/promotion.

I personally think Donnel is pretty underrated I don't see much support for him here at all on this site. All you have to do is get up to level 10 second seal and let his growth rates take over. I also really like the fact he's just an average farm boy risking his life for a noble cause.

But he's so annoying....

And his character is a huge American Southern cliche/ stereotype...

• 3 years later...

Here are my favorite characters, and ones that i think are definatly underated especially when you consider that characters like Inigo and Owain are reputedly some of the most popular. 

#1 Cherche. She's a Wyvern lord, if you know anything about this class you know that she will tear almost anything to pieces, with other class options of Valkyrie, she has good growths in Resistance which is unusual for her class. As far as her character goes, she would have to be one of my favortites she is probably one of the hardest working girls in the army, is enjoyable to talk too, isn't obsessed over you or giving you a death stare. For an Awakening character I felt her character and supports were better written, as they didn't go with one theme as much as others. Her supports involve her dragon, her country, her talents outside of battle which include sewing, cooking, washing clothes, and wood chopping

#2 Gregor. Well he's a mercenary, and with the class lines of myrmidon and barbarian if you give him Astra and Lethality as well as Axe Fair as a Heroe he will destroy wave after wave of enemies. As a character I like his jovial and good hearted personality and while Gregor probably is not underatted I had to have him on here when I realized that people like Owain might be stealing the spotlight.

#3 Stahl. I like Stahl, he's in the Cavalier line so that should tell you immediatly that he will be a very solid unit. Due to the class lines of myrmidon, and archer on top of cavalier Stahl can pick up Astra, Lethality, and Luna and with his good skill levels one of these are bound to activate. In fact based on his skill set Stahl might be one of the most powerful units in the entire game, and due to him being able to pick up the skill Pass he makes a better Sniper than Virion. Stahl's character may not be as well developed as other people's but I like him a lot. He's a good friend and ally, he's someone that you can rely on and will help you out despite how much he might be inconvenianced

#4 Gerome. I like Gerome, he also is in the Wyvern lord class, however if Libra is his father Gerome will make one awesome Dread Fighter. Now I prefer keeping units in their intended class but I had to bring this up. Gerome on several occassions has been one of my best Dread Fighters including how well he uses tomes and if that's the case he will show everybody who's in charge. As a character he probably is not well written but I tend to like the grim, solitary and grumpy types, and I find it interesting that inspite of his lone wolf persona there have been several supports where he gives advice to a comrade or investigates a matter.

#5 Basilio. Basilo is awesome, and will make for an incredible Berserker. Basilo's character does not change much and is sadly underdeveloped but Basilo has some of the best lines in the entire game. I will make an honorable mention here and say that Vaike also makes for a great Berserker perhaps better, but I really Basilo and he should not be overlooked. And now for a few more honorable mentions, Henry the best dark mage in the game, Flavia another cool hero, Sully Miss No-nonsense, Maribell the master of Parousell Fu, Laurent Collector of Rare Tomes, Donnel the Farmer turned Heroe, and lastly Nowi. Many if not all of these characters are on my team every single time.

Overated Characters

#1 Chrom. As a unit Chrom is unfortunately average and is just slightly better than the Jagen of the game Fredrick. Chrom's classes include cavalier and archer, to me archer should have been swapped for myrmidon as that would have made more sense than archer. In terms of skills Chrom get's surpassed by many characters including Stahl who is suppossed to be the average guy of the arm. And if you get surpassed by the average guy when you are suppossed to be the leader, there's a problem there. Lastly it always bugged me that only Chrom can wield Falchion and yet that sword is not even needed to dispel Grima, Chrom get's so much hype and he can't even kill a dragon. As a character Chrom seems like a pendulum to me, he swings one way and then the other with now in between. He's either imitating Marth or Ike, neither of which he can hope to attain to.

#2 Tharja. Tharja seems hyped up to me based on the amount of appeal her classes are Knight, and Archer. So this will allow her to increase any defense and skill, unless her strength increases as well she will not make good use out of these classes. Honestly I just feel that Libra and Henry are better Dark Mages with perhaps better character development of what exists anyway.

#3 Owain. As a unit he is actually a very good one, and will be one of your best Dread Fighters due to a good magic growth. For me Owain just get's very old very quick and is too over the top for me.

#4 Cynthia. This was a choice between Cynthia and Severra. Cynthia is both a character and a unit that I am not fond of. There might be one pegasus I use for any FE game, but Cynthia's character is very overbearing for me.

#5 Inigo. Inigo is a mercenary and really good one at that, unlike most he actually can make decent use out of a levin sword. Inigo has unexplored potential, with being a lady's man they could have had a kind of rogueish character but Inigo is too emotional at times and is an extreme variant of a Sain like character. Many of the characters sadly could have been better done and we would have had some great characters like I said Inigo has some similarities to Sain, Sumia has similarities to Florina ect. As units every unit can be a good one but these are ones that I hardly use if I can avoid it, although I will use Inigo as he is the only male Mercenary who can learn Galeforce, but Gerome is still a much better Mercenary if Gregor is his father. I enjoyed many of everyone statements and agreed with a lot if not everything of what you all had to say.