Why all the hate for Sothe And Micaiah?

Ashnard

Why all the hate for Micaiah and Sothe?

Clearly they just wanted to save Daein from the God Toddler Sanaki of Beginion Empire. Sanaki had literary become Hitler by forcing the working men of Daein into LABOR CAMPS.

How can you hate two people who believed it wasn't right to dump people into labor camps and work them to death? How can you hate two people who care about the affairs of their country?

They remind me of the founding fathers of the United States of America. Micaiah was typically the George Washington of her time! (Yes I said it)

In my journey to travel across the internet telling people about the glory of Sothe and Micaiah I have come to much anger and opposition. Take a look at some of the things I have collected.

/v/ Anon - Micaiah is a slut

/vg/ Fire Emblem General -

For one she has plot convenience powers that tell her where to go and never work when they'd be needed the most.

They try to make her appear all wise, caring and humble, but then she admits that she likes being worshipped.

She has titles handled to her like it's her birthday. As soon as Pelleas meets her, he appoints her general, boom. She's suddenly the apostle just because. And as soon as the game ends, she becomes queen out of the blue. Ike and Elincia had to work their asses off to win their shit, she just gets it all handed to her in a silver platter.

Even though she COULD have tried to negotiate with Ike and Sanaki to avoid unnecessary bloodshed, she keeps on fighting and even tries to burn one of them alive because lol blood pacts.

And then she gets all emotional when Sothe almost dies despite the fact that numerous people have died on both sides as a result of her being a "great tactician". And you NEED to beat the game once for the option to not let her fucking king die which obviously leads nowhere to appear.

I know what the writers were trying to go for with her, but due to inconsistencies and lazyess she just comes off as a hypocrite, selfish, and overall horrible person.

/v/ Anon - I like to act like RD never happened.

So tell me, why do so many hate Micaiah and Sothe?

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

My only thing about Sothe is how useless he is endgame and is a waste of a slot for a better character, but otherwise he's a valuable unit earlygame and one of two only thieving utilities.

Micaiah is just, meh, terrible speed and defence, although she makes a good healer. Something about her dialogue past part one just make her uninteresting.

Who knows? I've wondered the same thing basically since the game came out.

Clearly they just wanted to save Daein from the God Toddler Sanaki of Beginion Empire. Sanaki had literary become Hitler by forcing the working men of Daein into LABOR CAMPS.

"Literally," and this wasn't Sanaki, it was the Begnion Senate.

That second quote is pretty funny.

For one she has plot convenience powers that tell her where to go and never work when they'd be needed the most.

Lol?

They try to make her appear all wise, caring and humble, but then she admits that she likes being worshipped.

Oh, like an actual human being who's not unbelievably humble?

And as soon as the game ends, she becomes queen out of the blue. Ike and Elincia had to work their asses off to win their shit, she just gets it all handed to her in a silver platter.

Yeah, because Micaiah hasn't done a damn thing all game. Honestly, Elincia did less to become queen. She just inherited the title and got Ike to win her throne back for her. She's the one who got it "handed to her in a silver platter."

Even though she COULD have tried to negotiate with Ike and Sanaki to avoid unnecessary bloodshed

Except not really. Why?

because lol blood pacts.

And then she gets all emotional when Sothe almost dies despite the fact that numerous people have died on both sides as a result of her being a "great tactician".

Yeah, it's completely unnatural to get emotional about someone you love dying but not get emotional when nameless soldiers you don't know the first thing about die (and it's not even as though Micaiah had no regrets about that, either).

What is that even supposed to be based on? Her talk conversation in chapter 8 where she says that she is afraid that the Daein would find out that she is a Branded?

Because I am pretty sure that the consequences of this would be worse then her simply not being liked anymore. And the Daein are particular racist.

Soren was so afraid of such a revelation, that Nasir was able to use it to blackmail him.

And you can't tell me that the thought of people's love turning into hate isn't scary.

That something would make the likes of your friends and family want to see you dead.

And in Micaiah's case, the stakes are way higher: The population of an entire country. That's... a lot of hate.

Quite frankly, that fear must be absolutely overwhelming.

Edited by BrightBow

I dislike Sothe because I thought he was pretty unlikeable in radiant dawn. He's a pretty big jerk most of the time.

Micaiah is someone i'm neutral against. She was a little too perfect in part 1, but part 3 played a little with those traits. Its only part 4 where she started to annoy me. Her endgame relevation was extremely badly done in my opinion with little to no explanation about what just happened to her.

Poor Units.

Sothe is meh as a character in both 9 and 10.

Miccy on the other hand is actually a great character, and unlike many other Lords/mains [Read every Lord who isn't her or Lucina], is actually not bland and generic.

Edited by Airship Canon

The reasons you showed are so funny. Honestly though there are a lot of weird things in the game but Miccy is human and thus makes mistakes.

Edited by Rah

I don't hate Micaiah. I actually like her a lot (and no, Sanaki wasn't to blame for what was happening in Daien. The council was).

I hate Sothe though for getting Micaiah, especially since the other paired ending amount to 'Ike dates another man/man-animal, Elincia married her childhood friend, and Mist fell in love with Mr. Jock and totally stiffed the adorkable and caring Rolf just because'.

I just don't like how they are unit-wise, I don't think they're very good.

Sothe is one of the best units in the game until part 4, but when you are that good for part 1 and 3, why should I care about part 4?

Sothe is massively underrated as a unit. If you made a tier list of part 1 alone, he would be at the very top. He is the unit with the most part 1 availability that can ORKO throughout, and he does this at 1-2 range through forged knives. Not only that, he does this in by far the hardest stretch in the game. Even if you bench him for all of parts 3 & 4, he has still contributed more than 2/3rds of your cast, easily. Of course, for some reason people tend to put an absurd amount of weight into a unit's endgame contributions, even though 4-E is a joke chapter even without royals and makes up less than 5% of the game. I guess it's an investment fallacy of some kind, people want to see the effort they put into using units lead to a positive return, to the detriment of units with amazing starts that dwindle over time.

I like the concept of Micaiah as a character, but cannot understand why they had to nerf her spd growth to unusable levels and gave her such poor durability that she couldn't take a hit beyond 1-P & 1-1 bronze weapons. She doesn't have to be as dominant as Ike but they did nerf her combat ability a little too much. Had she given a leadership bonus (+10-15 avo) and Thani had been a brave tome things would've been a lot different.

Edited by Vykan_12

I find it difficulty to criticize Sothe's combat effectiveness, given that he is such a valuable asset during the game.

The guy got legit 20/1 stats with help of a growth boasting skill, while just about everyone else in the party seems to be made of wet tissues.

He is pretty amazing at keeping everyone alive. And he takes care of thieving needs too.

Edited by BrightBow

The only problem I have with either of them is they never demand a reason from Pelleas about their involvement in the war, it's not like he's some unapproachable figure to them. But other than that they're just fine.

Who could really be against restoring the honor and glory of Daein? We aren't some grove street gangbangers, you know.

Edited by Ashnard

Who could really be against restoring the honor and glory of Daein? We aren't some grove street gangbangers, you know.

For one thing, every other country on the continent.

Also Ashnard himself. In the man's own words: "I AM Daein. If I am to be destroyed, then let Daein be destroyed with me."

Micaiah is a mary sue in part 1

I personally really like micaiah as a unit, despite her flaws. Yes, her speed is crap, and yeah, her authority is terrible (why IS?) but I personally find her thani bombing utility insanely useful in part 1, and for part 3 and on, she makes a very good staffbot due to her overkill magic growth (she basically is your only healer in the DB, since lol laura in midgame)

I'm the type who likes to raise his weaker units earlygame, so I don't use sothe too much, but he is undeniably the best unit in part 1. I just get very irked by his terrible endgame, since (as vykan said) I like seeing the units I raised be useful endgame, but really, endgame isn't as big as part 1.

I'm not sure about others, but when I was younger (13-15), I used to "hate" Sothe because I had a crush on Micaiah and would hate on him for that silly reason, even going as far as to try to find every little, silly reason to dislike him and make him look as a bad unit/terrible character.

Now? I've much grown over that, and I've come to recognize that he is a very good unit to have around, thanks to drafts and HM effeciency/LTC experience and such. As a character, I don't find him appealing at all, and still think he kind of sucks (being a filthy neutral jerk overprotective dude)...buuuuuutttt, that has no effect on what I think of him as a unit, SO yeah.

So I'm not exactly sure what the hate on Sothe from other fans is, since most others probably hate Micaiah along with him as well...

I hate micaiah because she blamed Ike from what happened to her country, even though her country was the one that started the war. The only ones to blame from what happened to Daein is Daein itself. I also hate how she tries to destroy everyother country in the world just to save hers, even tought its population only harmed and segregated her before the begnion invasion

I hate micaiah because she blamed Ike from what happened to her country, even though her country was the one that started the war. The only ones to blame from what happened to Daein is Daein itself.

No, Ike started the war that destroyed Daein. Daein won the first war. It locked up the soldiers and militia, occupied Crimea's fortresses and were heading into towns and cities that they hadn't invaded before taking over the country to declare their rule. When Ike led the invasion of Daein, then Daein-occupied Crimea, he started a second war. Ike's invasion of Daein apparently left it's cities and towns in ruins and for what? As far as the general populace know, for no other reason to get to Crimea, which they didn't need to invade Daein to do. It was perfectly possible to free Crimea by heading into it through Begnion, or by using the route that the Apostle's Army takes in Radiant Dawn, which avoids towns and cities in Daein. Sure, we know Ike went to Nevassa to fight Ashnard, who wasn't there, but how would Daein's population?

I also hate how she tries to destroy everyother country in the world just to save hers, even tought its population only harmed and segregated her before the begnion invasion

No she doesn't. Let's say she did stop the Laguz Alliance in 3-6. Gallia and Pheonics would still exist. If she stopped the Apostle's Army, Gallia, Pheonics, Crimea and Begnion would still exist. If Begnion activated the Blood Pact, Daein would be destroyed. She's tries to destroy a percentage of their populations in exchange for the entirety of her country not being eradicated.