Why all the hate for Sothe And Micaiah?

Ashnard

Which is actually part of the problem to be honest.

I was only commenting on the fact he said he didn't care that he hadn't finished the game. I do, in fact, agree that it was a pretty bad reveal.

Ranulf's reveal about the BK was something i have always had a huge issue with.

This is annoying, but I think it's pretty well justified. Ranulf had been holding off, but when they were splitting teams, he decided he needed to tell Ike about his suspicions since he knows how Ike feels about the Black Knight. It makes the reveal anticlimactic, but imagine if we didn't find out until 4-E-2 and then Ranulf was like "I knew all along lol." Then we'd all be asking why he didn't tell Ike.

And him knowing/suspecting also makes sense since he fought him as both of them.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ranulf knowing isnt what i took issue with. Its just like "Dude, we are on different teams so heres a huge reveal up in your dome. Have fun processing that." Uhhh...ok? Gee, thanks for the plot bomb, Ranulf, but like...wheres the BOOM? Its just so underwhelming and disappointing. Yes, holding off until the chapter you face Zelgius and having Ranulf drop that bomb would have sucked too. I think if they had just put Ranulf on Ike's team to begin with, there would have been much more interesting reveal about it. That way we can really get how Ranulf came to that conclusion and them discussing how they feel about it. Ike questioning Ranulf about why Zelgius would be the BK and such...You know? Blah...IS really wrote themselves into corners by the time Part 4 rolled around.

I was obviously talking about what I see as war crimes, so you're just arguing semantics now.

What matters is that the OP asked why people dislike Micaiah, and I explained in a perfect reasonable way why I hate her, as simple as that.

This argument has no point, and it feels like you're trying to make me like a character I absolutely despise, for explainable reasons.

Also, your post explains exactly why I hate Micaiah so much. Daein treated the Crimean citizens in the worst possible way, yet she acts as if her country is the only one where people are suffering. Her hypocrisy and lack of empathy for anyone that is not from daein is what makes me hate her.

Dunno, people in war time can be pretty selfish, you know? When you're being mistreated and persecuted by an outside force, a lot of people seek to find a figure to blame for what happened. Yes, they could have chosen Ashnard since he's the one who begun the whole mess in PoR, but Ike's the one who came into Daein, seized control of it and later gave it away to Begnion. Also, you say that Ike and Elincia can't be blamed for wanting their country back. Yet, the Dawn Brigade is wrong for wanting the same thing? Should Miacaiah be saying to herself: 'Daein made Crimea suffer so we should be punished for Ahsnard's sins and suffer under Begnion'?

You say that you hate Miacaiah for reasonable reasons, yet I feel that you didn't look at the average Daein Citizen's POV in your analysis, instead assuming that they all know that Ashnard and his cronies mistreated Crimean Soldiers and conducted experiment on Laguz. You also made a lot of assumption in your previous argument, like assuming that they would be able to break the blood pact before serious harm was done to Daein. And what is wrong with RD trying to make Daein citizen look better. PoR made it look like it was a country full of bad people, which is a tad unrealistic. Nuancing shouldn't be considered the same as retconing.

All in all, your arguments seems to be supported more by blind Daein hate that extend to Micaiah than by logic. Micaiah is far from being the best FE character, but she doesn't deserve all the flack you throw at her.

Hmm, am I the only one who thinks Sothe is a good Part 4 unit? I like to give him Resolve, so on the off chance that he takes a hit, when Resolve activates he becomes an unhittable slaying machine. But I would rather swap out Volke for him, though; because I'd rather not take 2 knife weilders because there's only one Baselard.

Hmm, am I the only one who thinks Sothe is a good Part 4 unit? I like to give him Resolve, so on the off chance that he takes a hit, when Resolve activates he becomes an unhittable slaying machine. But I would rather swap out Volke for him, though; because I'd rather not take 2 knife weilders because there's only one Baselard.

Even so, at that point in the game you really need to be 0RKO'ing everything albeit the bosses and Sothe just doesn't do that, it's the only point in the game where he is less valuable than Micaiah and although they both give crap damage Micaiah can still atleast Physic.

Yeah. This is THE POINT right here that made me really freaking facepalm. Micaiah being the real Apostle itself isnt that bad. Its how it was revealed that just plain fucking SUCKED. All the sudden, Sanaki goes "Sister! You are my big sister!" and Micaiah is just like "oh yeah, totes! I just...knew it." WHAT?! Lekain gives us some really badly rushed dialogue earlier about Sanaki having a sister at one point, but it does not make this whole "reveal" any less of a total ass pull.

Not for nothing, but having played PoR before RD I knew Micaiah was the real apostle and Sanaki's sister at 1-1.

I think a lot of the hate for FE10!Sothe is mostly stemming from the dramatic shift that his personality took from FE9 to FE10. He had a decently built character in FE9, but in FE10 he got shoved down our throats as Miccy's love interest (which seemed really dumb and forced, if you couldn't tell by how I expressed this point in the first place) and as a one-dimensional bodyguard for 'his lady', an archetype that was done ten times better barely two games earlier in the series by Seth.

Plus he's a shit unit who's overshadowed by Volke and possibly Heather in FE10, despite apparently being an Oifaye. His forced promotion being before Micaiah - who's a far superior unit - doesn't help either.

Plus he's a shit unit who's overshadowed by Volke and possibly Heather in FE10, despite apparently being an Oifaye. His forced promotion being before Micaiah - who's a far superior unit - doesn't help either.

Hating his character is one thing, but separate story and gameplay; calling Sothe a "shit unit" is completely off the mark no matter how you look at it (lol @ any of those units being better than him).

I may just always end up with shit Sothes and great Heathers, lol.

I've never been able to use Sothe comfortably in the endgame.

I may just always end up with shit Sothes and great Heathers, lol.

I've never been able to use Sothe comfortably in the endgame.

I could never use Sothe comfortably from 3-12 onward. Shit catches up to Sothe and its kinda unpleasant for him. It doesnt help that when he finally does promote, Bane plain sucks.

Not for nothing, but having played PoR before RD I knew Micaiah was the real apostle and Sanaki's sister at 1-1.

How...?

I thought it was really weird Micaiah and Sanaki were sisters. Micaiah's supposed to be really old, and Sanaki's like 12. lolwut. Sothe annoyed me with all the Ike dick sucking he did. HIs being required in the endgame despite not being anywhere near useful. Micaiah bothered me because she just didn't have any killing power unless her speed was good (which it probably wouldn't be unless you saved before every level up and reloaded until it increased every time) and she was a required unit throughout the game. A glass cannon is fine so long as that cannon can deal a KO punch. Micaiah could if she ever doubled, but she never did for me. I hate being forced to use units that can't pull their own weight. Dead weight characters are a way of artificially making the game harder without actually making the game harder, and RD had plenty.

Even so, at that point in the game you really need to be 0RKO'ing everything albeit the bosses and Sothe just doesn't do that, it's the only point in the game where he is less valuable than Micaiah and although they both give crap damage Micaiah can still atleast Physic.

I guess he got a lot of criticals and Banes? Idk, I just recall him ORKOing a lot except for armor units. In my experience, he is an upper tier unit.

Edited by Mr. Haar

• 2 weeks later...

It is my firm opinion that Daein got what it deserved. Throughout the history of Tellius Daein abused and enslaved Laguz to a larger extent than even Begnion. Jill said that you could even be executed for not being racist. The men in labor camps were soldiers who killed Surrendering Crimean soldiers during the war and helped torture the children of Crimean nobles. Begnion was being lenient. I would give every single one of those fuckers the death penalty. The people of Daein actively participated in the attempted genocide of the Laguz. Daein is intended as a representation of Nazi Germany. Sure, Begnion probably could have picked a better ruler than Jarod Von freaking Joseph Stalin, but there was no reason whatsoever to allow Daein to govern itself not 3 years after its war on the world or to help the war criminals of the Daein army avoid justice for their actions. And that, my friends, is why I hate Maciah.

Dunno, people in war time can be pretty selfish, you know? When you're being mistreated and persecuted by an outside force, a lot of people seek to find a figure to blame for what happened. Yes, they could have chosen Ashnard since he's the one who begun the whole mess in PoR, but Ike's the one who came into Daein, seized control of it and later gave it away to Begnion. Also, you say that Ike and Elincia can't be blamed for wanting their country back. Yet, the Dawn Brigade is wrong for wanting the same thing? Should Miacaiah be saying to herself: 'Daein made Crimea suffer so we should be punished for Ahsnard's sins and suffer under Begnion'?

You say that you hate Miacaiah for reasonable reasons, yet I feel that you didn't look at the average Daein Citizen's POV in your analysis, instead assuming that they all know that Ashnard and his cronies mistreated Crimean Soldiers and conducted experiment on Laguz. You also made a lot of assumption in your previous argument, like assuming that they would be able to break the blood pact before serious harm was done to Daein. And what is wrong with RD trying to make Daein citizen look better. PoR made it look like it was a country full of bad people, which is a tad unrealistic. Nuancing shouldn't be considered the same as retconing.

All in all, your arguments seems to be supported more by blind Daein hate that extend to Micaiah than by logic. Micaiah is far from being the best FE character, but she doesn't deserve all the flack you throw at her.

Ashnard could not have possibly gotten as far as he did without the support of Daein. Similar to how in WWII if Germany had decided not to kill all the Jews the Holocaust would never happened. Also, where was the Dawn Brigade when Ashnard was in power? If the people of Daein had stood up to Ashnard, the Mad Kings War never would have happened. Did Ashnard solo the entire Crimean army? No. He was only able to do all the shit he did with the wholehearted support of the people of Daein. There were people in the Daein army, like Bryce, Tauroneo, and Shiharam, who opposed Ashnard. However, all but Tauroneo were too cowardly, weak, or foolish to do anything. If there had been more like Tauroneo, Ashnard would have been ousted. In addition, it is standard military procedure to occupy nations that lose wars that they started. If we granted Germany independence under the leadership of Hitlers son not 3 years after WWII, everyone in France, England, and America would go nuts, and rightly so. I fail to see any form of illegitimacy with being worried that the son of Ashnard would try to avenge his father. It is just plain crazy to let a nation like Daein govern itself 3 years after its people willingly participated in the crushing of Crimea. Also, the nobles probably lost loved ones to Daein. In POR it is mentioned that nobles were constantly put to death. I'd also not want the country that murdered my daughter to have independence. You say to see it from Daeins perspective. But going to Crimeas perspective makes it easy to understand their rage at Daein for all of its sins.

You hate Micaiah because other people did a load of evil stuff...

Riiight.... Of course, that makes perfect sense... :rolleyes:

No, I hate her because she helped those who committed those acts escape justice.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I actually like both.

Statwise... Sothe isn't bad and I don't really have problems with Micaiah. I mean I always have least that one unit who I have to protect. So yeah, people just fail and blame the unit.

...but yeah, I don't really care about stats too much... because they never make sense (kids with little experience beating experienced soldiers without a problem... seems legit).

Radiant Dawn just wasn't kind to any of the new character due to it's ambitious plot. There's essentially only two new characters that get developed: Micaiah and Pelleas. Despite Sothe being in every chapter Micaiah is in, he's a one-dimensional character with hardly any development. Daein in general just shows they're very witless and easily persuaded, so Micaiah while all right in design herself, is a victim of having bad friends.

Gameplay-wise, most of the frustration about Sothe comes from the fact you're forced to use him. He's a great unit overall, but he really becomes a PITA to use in Part 4. I can definitely see the Micaiah hate though, because I used to be the same way.

• 3 weeks later...

The answer is easy:

Micky is a "Mary Sue" character and a walking target on hard mode. A papercut of physical units will kill her, because she´s extreme fragile and sort of slow. You really have to give her a seraph robe, that she survives an attack of an enemy. Her only ones good points are "Thani", the "Rapier" of the light tomes, which kills some bosses in part 1 easily, and the fact, that she got the best caps of all mages. However I like her personality, unlike Lyn.

Sothe is the "Jeigan" as a rogue and Micky´s bodyguard. In part 1 he steals experience in killing enemies. He´s only useful in stealing and poking. In part 3 he´s a safety risk. On the one hand he can kill many laguz with the beastfoe, but on the other hand through his terrible HP and defense two tigers will kill him. And for being a rogue he has terrible speed growth and strength cap. He´s outclassed by the other Dawn Brigade units.

Edited by MisterIceTeaPeach

A lot of it comes from the wierd way this game is set up by having us swap parties between four story arcs. Had the game been limited to Sothe and Micaiha's squad the entire time, we would've gotten a better opportunity to symphasize with them.

• 2 weeks later...

The only thing I don't like about RD!Sothe is how he suddenly went from a cute skinny kid to this toned stud-muffin. 8U I get that people can grow, but can it happen THAT fast? It feels like they suddenly buffed him up JUST so he can be all taller and manly for Micaiah, which makes me hate the pairing a lot. Meh.