Which dosage of Frederick on HM?

Skynstein

On Normal, he's never needed; I benched him before midgame because the other units were just as good. On Lunatic, I must use him to get through the early game. What about Hard mode? How much is intelligent use of Frederick on Hard? The enemies aren't very strong as on Lunatic, but your starting units and equipment will have trouble with them, unlike on Normal. My feelings for Frederick aside (I like his personality), the idea would be to use him as little as possible, but sometimes he's the only hope to escape an unfavorable situation...

Fredrick was my weaponless meatsheild, I let Chrom and Avatar get the first few levels, then those two paired with the rest of my team for leveling

Edited by sifer

I always use him until promoted enemies start turning up around Ch11. He's a perfectly serviceable character until then, as long as he still has Silver Lance uses left.
His usability jumps off a cliff just as Emmeryn does, and so now my headcanon is that he retires after Gangrel's defeat, but still continues to serve House Ylisse.

He isn't really all that necessary as an offensive unit in Hard mode either.

As everyone else said, should be and was used as strength/defensive support bot. Occasionally was sent out as a puppet to draw aggro.

I stole his Silver Lance in the prologue (He'll probably do enough damage to finish off enemies with another weapon anyways) so I could pawn it for some delicious Iron, but you may want to keep it in case if you really favor a lance user that early in the game, or if you want added chance to kill someone.