Who's more well-known in your opinion?

DodgeDusk

Who's more well-known in your opinion?  

39 members have voted

1. 1. Who's more well-known in your opinion?

• Mario (Nintendo character)
    • Mickey Mouse (Disney character)

I'm pretty sure it's Mickey Mouse.

Not everyone is into gaming, and you'd have to be at least somewhat aware of gaming to know who Mario is.

For example, consider a four year old child or an elderly person. The odds are that neither of them would know who Mario is, however, there is a good chance of them knowing who Mickey Mouse is. Most children watch Disney movies/TV growing up, so the odds are they are going to come across Mickey (not to mention all the toys and learning toys/books that are Mickey Mouse themed). As for elderly people, Mickey Mouse was popular when they were growing up.

It isn't just limited to those age groups either.

My mother is in her mid 40's and she hasn't the slightest idea about video game characters (except Pikachu), and I've known of plenty other parents/adults in that age group that are on the same boat.

Mickey Mouse is pretty much known by every age group.

There's also the factor that Mickey Mouse has been around since 1928, when Mario has only been around since 1981.

Not to mention that Nintendo isn't anywhere near as internationally popular as Disney.

It kind of seems like a "no brainer" to me, so to say.

Who is this Mickey you talk about?

I believe that's really hard to say, almost everyone that know one most likely will know the other. Basically if you have access to things like TV or Internet these two are iconic enough that you probably at least heard both their names.

I'm pretty sure it's Mickey Mouse.

Not everyone is into gaming, and you'd have to be at least somewhat aware of gaming to know who Mario is.

For example, consider a four year old child or an elderly person. The odds are that neither of them would know who Mario is, however, there is a good chance of them knowing who Mickey Mouse is. Most children watch Disney movies/TV growing up, so the odds are they are going to come across Mickey (not to mention all the toys and learning toys/books that are Mickey Mouse themed). As for elderly people, Mickey Mouse was popular when they were growing up.

You don't really have to be in gaming to know who Mario is he is iconic enough that you'll most likely know him even if you never touched a Nintendo console in your life.

I honestly haven't seen Mickey as much as before while basically every year Nintendo releases something Mario related so I don't see how a 4 year old would necessarily have to know Mickey but not Mario.

marios been more well known than m mouse for a long time

statistical FACT

Banzai has it right, at least among kids.

In the 1990s, a national survey found that Mario was more recognizable to American children than Mickey Mouse;[78]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario#Reception_and_legacy

Here is a NY Times article from 1993 that mentions it as well, if you don't like Wikipedia.

EDIT: Gonna bet that the Golden Arches are more widely-recognized than either, though.

Edited by Euklyd

I find the implications of this poll quite insulting. Why do we need to hint that mario is nintendo character but are assumed to know who the F Mickey is

You're right. I'm sorry. I'll change it when I'm back home

If we're talking about the forest, I'd say Mario, since you might be all purely gamers.

If we're talking about REAL WORLD population, I'd say Mickey Mouse, since he's been around for a much longer time than Mario has (I'm almost 90% sure). And second, Mickey Mouse is Disney, and that's classic. Not every is a gamer.

Edited by Carter

If we're talking about the forest, I'd say Mario, since you might be all purely gamers.

If we're talking about REAL WORLD population, I'd say Mickey Mouse, since he's been around for a much longer time than Mario has (I'm almost 90% sure). And second, Mickey Mouse is Disney, and that's classic. Not every is a gamer.

only 90%

Mickey Mouse, easily. There are more people who grew up with, and heard about him than those who grew up with Mario, especially due to being around at least 21/2 times longer.

Nintendo may have been around longer (1889 vs Disney's 1923), but how long have Ninty's IPs that we all know about existed compared to Disney's IPs?

Anyone who voted Mario is likely biased towards video gaming.