Best game music

Dwarfishh

I really recommend the soundtrack of Donkey Kong. Especially DKC1/2.

Other than that... Baten Kaitos, Kirby's Epic Yarn aaand... all of the Zelda series.

Tales series and a bunch of others already mentioned, most definitely. Though I must say I particularly enjoy Eternal Sonata's (entire game built as a shrine to Chopin and his music, with a lot of beautiful original music as well) and the entire freakin' OST for Radiata Stories! Seriously, other than being an amazing unique game, half the reason I play it is for the music. I wish more people could experience it, but its so rare nowadays....

Honorable mention as well for the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon music, particularly the Explorers of Sky OST.

Zelda and Fire Emblem have my favorite music by far. <3

The Tellius saga in Fire Emblem have such beautifully orchestrated masterpieces and Zelda just overall has amazing music! The Super Mario Galaxy games also have amazing orchestrated tracks. I like a few tunes in Pokemon as well, though not many really make me go "OMG awesome!" xP

I really recommend the soundtrack of Donkey Kong. Especially DKC1/2.

donkey kong 64, beacuse kirkhope is amazing

The Super Mario Galaxy games also have amazing orchestrated tracks.

not just that, those games' soundtracks are really neat because they have their orchestra, but they don't always use it. when they do, they use it well. using orchestra on every song is bad.

Here's my personal favorites:

Xenoblade Chronicles: The soundtrack is so varied in style ranging from the melancholic Satorl Marsh at Night to the electronic sounding Mechonis Field. These are just 2 songs from a game filled with memorable songs.

The Last Story also had a great soundtrack, I found myself listening several times to the Main Theme.

The Zelda series is renowned for its great soundtrack. I won't list any songs because every game I ever played in this franchise has several songs that I really enjoy. (Ok a couple of my favorites: Warp songs, Stone Tower Temple, Molgera, Queen Rutela theme and Follow Fi.)

The Metroid series is home to some fantastic piece of music.The Prime Trilogy has some great level music in Phendrana Drifts, Sunken Frigate, Magmoor Caverns, Tallon Overworld, Torvus Submerged Temple and Skytown and some great battle music in Space Pirate Theme, Meta Ridley Theme, Dark Samus Battle, Mutated Emperor Ing, Rundas Battle and Gandrayda Battle.(I could not stop myself from making a long list here, these are my favorite games XP)

The Mario Galaxy games had some amazing orchestral pieces like Gusty Garden Galaxy, Good Egg Galaxy, Bowser's Galaxy Generator, Battle for the Grand Star from Galaxy 1 and Bowser's Lava Lair and Melty Monster Galaxy in Galaxy 2.

The World Ends With You has some great songs that are really different from your typical RPG soundtrack like Twister.

Kingdom Hearts: Dearly Beloved, need I say more?

Ace Attorney: Objection!

Portal 2 has some good songs a notable one being I AM NOT A MORON!.

That's all I have for now. I really love VGM if you hadn't noticed.

Edited by LuxSpes

Tales series and a bunch of others already mentioned, most definitely. Though I must say I particularly enjoy Eternal Sonata's (entire game built as a shrine to Chopin and his music, with a lot of beautiful original music as well) and the entire freakin' OST for Radiata Stories! Seriously, other than being an amazing unique game, half the reason I play it is for the music. I wish more people could experience it, but its so rare nowadays....

Honorable mention as well for the Pokemon Mystery Dungeon music, particularly the Explorers of Sky OST.

I was curious about Eternal Sonanta and went to check the Soundtrack... O.M.G. The very first song on the playlist is already stuck in my head. Now I need to go through the rest or at at least, I'll do that when I'll take a break from replaying the first song XD.

And I love PMD music with my favorite being Primal Dialga's theme.

Should check out the soundtrack of Ys Seven I was seriously blown away by the music and I have fallen in love with the music its awesome!

I must echo that Falcom (the company that makes Ys) makes some simply astounding OSTs for their games. They even have a rock band, the Falcom JDK Band, which plays totally jammin' arranged versions of all their stuff.

I recommend Ernst, Palace of Destruction, Crossing Rage, Silver Will, Inevitable Struggle, and Twilight Wanderers. Gosh, I could really keep on going... there's just too much good stuff.

Another company that as a whole has some top quality soundtracks is SNK. They too also have killer ASTs to boot.

A series with great music is F-Zero. All the titles have a different sound to them, but they never fail to impress.

Individual games that I think have outstanding OSTs are Kirby's Dreamland 3, Langrisser 2, (Genesis version in particular) and Star Fox.

By the way, if you're fascinated with video game soundtracks, you should check out the thread we have for it here. We're always sharing stuff there, and it would be sweet if you shared too~ C:

I was curious about Eternal Sonanta and went to check the Soundtrack... O.M.G. The very first song on the playlist is already stuck in my head. Now I need to go through the rest or at at least, I'll do that when I'll take a break from replaying the first song XD.

And I love PMD music with my favorite being Primal Dialga's theme.

I absolutely adore that song too! It really sets the theme for this game.

But if you haven't already, I highly suggest you listen to this song, Kyoutenka/Heaven's Mirror: http://youtu.be/n8Mb5dJQhGs

This one's the Japanese version, but there's also an Italian version for the english game. I really do believe this is the crowning jewel to a game which is basically a love letter to Chopin's life and music, especially as the end credits music. So beautiful and haunting.... :0

I absolutely adore that song too! It really sets the theme for this game.

But if you haven't already, I highly suggest you listen to this song, Kyoutenka/Heaven's Mirror: http://youtu.be/n8Mb5dJQhGs

This one's the Japanese version, but there's also an Italian version for the english game. I really do believe this is the crowning jewel to a game which is basically a love letter to Chopin's life and music, especially as the end credits music. So beautiful and haunting.... :0

Wow

That gave me shivers, especially the later instrumental part. And I've been listening to other piece of the soundtrack. 'Your truth is my lie' and 'Believe' are also amazing.

I guess it's just another point to add to my 'Why I need a PS3 list'

Wow

That gave me shivers, especially the later instrumental part. And I've been listening to other piece of the soundtrack. 'Your truth is my lie' and 'Believe' are also amazing.

I guess it's just another point to add to my 'Why I need a PS3 list'

Do you have an Xbox 360? You can get the original game on this platform; that's the version I have. I don't actually have the PS3 port (has a lot of extra features that the Xbox 360 didn't have), but its basically the same game; it a very good buy either way.

But yeah, soundtracks don't get much better than this when it's beautifully composed and includes actual classic Chopin piano pieces in little history segments (yes, you actually get history lessons on Chopin in between chapters. I owe all knowledge I have about the guy to this videogame. Its a little funny to think about it).

Do you have an Xbox 360? You can get the original game on this platform; that's the version I have. I don't actually have the PS3 port (has a lot of extra features that the Xbox 360 didn't have), but its basically the same game; it a very good buy either way.

But yeah, soundtracks don't get much better than this when it's beautifully composed and includes actual classic Chopin piano pieces in little history segments (yes, you actually get history lessons on Chopin in between chapters. I owe all knowledge I have about the guy to this videogame. Its a little funny to think about it).

Don't even have a Xbox. Seriously, the only platforms I own are Nintendo consoles. Most of them were bought as gifts and I don't have the cash to buy my own system except for a portalble one like the 3DS because I'm a poor, unemployed university student. I guess that I could save for it, but when your only income that's not immediately used for school is in the form of birthday/Christmas gift, it's difficult to buy a new system when there's tons of books and games for the system that you already have that you want to buy. And I also want a Wii U( because I cannot wait to play 'X', Xenoblade's successor. Just to prove how much I love this game, my screensaver is the Title Screen of Xenoblade, music included. Probably one of the most beautiful title screen I've seen). Maybe I'll see a PS3 for sale somewhere.

More on topic, I've already mentioned Metroid, but only the Prime series. The rest of the franchise also has some good tunes. Except Other M, you don't want to even go near Other M. The only piece of music that isn't horrible in this game is the Ridley theme.

Also these guys make podcasts where they provide a lot of musical insight on different video game soundtrack. They even did one on Fire Emblem.

Edited by LuxSpes

The best video game music ever: Chrono Trigger.

Every track is classic. A few of my favorites:
Frog's Theme
Corridors of time

Yearnings of the Wind

Chrono Trigger Main Theme
To Far Away Times
Battle With Magus