Even for a counter set, RK+Aegis is bad. It wastes two skills to minimize the damage you do through Counter. Totally counter-productive. Vantage also reduces your chances of dealing counter damage.

Yeah, again, incomplete. But Aegis-Counter does work, since people would use bows or magic to avoid counter. I admit I'm being kinda dull right here, mixing everything up and not thinking clearly.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As for Henry passing down Wrath: Don't bother. It sucks.

Ah, okay. Is Counter not okay? In my second playthrough, I just second sealed Henry into a Warrior so...And if that's not good, what skill is good for Henry to pass down?

Counter is good though. Always good.

Well, with that set up Morgan and Lucina will make good magic attackers, since your magic and speed modifiers will be positive and Morgan has rightful king for skill slinging. The strength modifier is also positive, so it's good for physical classes to. If you ever get the money, I'd say Dread Fighter is the class to get over bride.

Vaike isn't bad for Owain, but Vaike does work better for other (female) children than Owain. Personally, I find it still works, and Libra can make him a fantastic sorcerer if you care. I personally like him as a dread fighter though, but since you don't have that a sorcerer is a great option.

Luckily, I made Morgan's final class a Grandmaster, so he can use his high magic stat to his potential. I kept Lucina as a Great Lord. Dread Fighter? Ah, okay. I heard that Brides are more supportive units than attackers like Dread Fighters.

For some reason from my research, I haven't seen Vaike as an ideal parent yet... Isn't he good with Sully? Dread Fighter Owain sounds deadly. If I ever got the money for it some day, I'll give it a go.

Vaike would like to have Nah, Severa, or Kjelle as his daughter. However, all three of them prefer other fathers (Gaius, Stahl, Donnel). That said Nah doesn't really deserve Gaius so Vaike is a solid second choice.

Vaike would like to have Nah, Severa, or Kjelle as his daughter. However, all three of them prefer other fathers (Gaius, Stahl, Donnel). That said Nah doesn't really deserve Gaius so Vaike is a solid second choice.

Vaike is okay for Gerome, +7 strength is just nasty

Ah, okay. Is Counter not okay? In my second playthrough, I just second sealed Henry into a Warrior so...And if that's not good, what skill is good for Henry to pass down?

Luckily, I made Morgan's final class a Grandmaster, so he can use his high magic stat to his potential. I kept Lucina as a Great Lord. Dread Fighter? Ah, okay. I heard that Brides are more supportive units than attackers like Dread Fighters.

For some reason from my research, I haven't seen Vaike as an ideal parent yet... Isn't he good with Sully? Dread Fighter Owain sounds deadly. If I ever got the money for it some day, I'll give it a go.

Counter and Wrath are fine with me, I can't really think of other notable male-exclusive skills except maybe Axefaire, which would be bad given +2 strength, but you waste +5 magic. Dark knight would be good, but has no axes. Wrath works best with Vantage, but Henry!Noire can't get vantage. If you have Gregor!Noire you get plus three to both magic and strength, and access to wrath, vantage and counter, though I prefer Gregor!Gerome to Gregor!Noire.

Vaike is okay for Gerome, +7 strength is just nasty

Counter and Wrath are fine with me, I can't really think of other notable male-exclusive skills except maybe Axefaire, which would be bad given +2 strength, but you waste +5 magic. Dark knight would be good, but has no axes. Wrath works best with Vantage, but Henry!Noire can't get vantage. If you have Gregor!Noire you get plus three to both magic and strength, and access to wrath, vantage and counter, though I prefer Gregor!Gerome to Gregor!Noire.

And now you know why I generally only consider passing down unpromoted male exclusive skills - lolwrath, and lolcounter.

I'd personally pass down Anathema, since I see Counter as trash (it's worth jack shit when mages and archers come along).

Edited by Levant Fortner

And now you know why I generally only consider passing down unpromoted male exclusive skills - lolwrath, and lolcounter.

I'd personally pass down Anathema, since I see Counter as trash (it's worth jack shit when mages and archers come along).

It's indeed situational, downright evil to fight on things like Berserkers

It's indeed situational, downright evil to fight on things like Berserkers

And there's the problem with Counter - it IS good... For the enemy, that is.

And there's the problem with Counter - it IS good... For the enemy, that is.

Good for the enemy is an understatement, it's a curse on the player. Using it yourself, depending on the situation, is either worthless or pretty useful at best.

Good for the enemy is an understatement, it's a curse on the player. Using it yourself, depending on the situation, is either worthless or pretty useful at best.

And honestly, I find the situations where Counter would actually be useful for the player to be as scarce as hens' teeth.

Edited by Levant Fortner

And honestly, I find the situations where Counter would actually be useful for the player to be as scarce as hens' teeth.

The reason why I think counter is not useful at all for the player is that you usually want to take the less damage possible. So if you build with high defense or avoid, counter is nearly useless. I think you're better using skills that makes you tougher to kill or lets you hit harder.

Counter -would- be useful were it not for the fact that the time it would be [Apo, where, you take 30-70 damage hits regularly] it doesn't work [Dragonskin annuls Counter]....

Of course, there's Double Duels, where Counter is the best skill beyond Limit Break, and completely demolishes the enemy.

The reason why I think counter is not useful at all for the player is that you usually want to take the less damage possible. So if you build with high defense or avoid, counter is nearly useless. I think you're better using skills that makes you tougher to kill or lets you hit harder.

I like a combo of Vengeance Counter and Aegis, but I have wierd tastes like that, and rarely is what I like the most practical solution.

Also, in considering a Galeforce-Wrath-Vantage-Vengeance-LB combo. I like the idea.

Oh really? I think Counter can be helpful sometimes...unless you have a unit with very high defense (which his child I went with, Noire, doesn't have high defense at all).

Counter -would- be useful were it not for the fact that the time it would be [Apo, where, you take 30-70 damage hits regularly] it doesn't work [Dragonskin annuls Counter]....

Of course, there's Double Duels, where Counter is the best skill beyond Limit Break, and completely demolishes the enemy.

This is going to sound stupid, but what's Limit Break? I don't have those DLCS....

Oh really? I think Counter can be helpful sometimes...unless you have a unit with very high defense (which his child I went with, Noire, doesn't have high defense at all).

This is going to sound stupid, but what's Limit Break? I don't have those DLCS....

I disagree for the reason Airship Canon stated (the one time it'd actually be worth a skill slot (Apotheosis), it's a wasted skill slot instead, as Dragonskin nulls Counter); it's not worth it, really, considering that unless you have low defense, it's not helping you much.

Limit Breaker is a skill that increases your stat caps by 10.

Edited by Levant Fortner

I disagree for the reason Airship Canon stated (the one time it'd actually be worth a skill slot (Apotheosis), it's a wasted skill slot instead, as Dragonskin nulls Counter); it's not worth it, really, considering that unless you have low defense, it's not helping you much.

Limit Breaker is a skill that increases your stat caps by 10.

Oh, I understand what you're saying now! Basically if I went against someone with Dragonskin and Counter activates, I'm screwed. Thanks for telling me what Limit Breaker is.

One more question; Should I just stick with passing down Lifetaker from Henry then?

Oh, I understand what you're saying now! Basically if I went against someone with Dragonskin and Counter activates, I'm screwed. Thanks for telling me what Limit Breaker is.

One more question; Should I just stick with passing down Lifetaker from Henry then?

Counter wouldn't work against someone with Dragonskin, is what I'm saying (and for that matter, neither would Lethality).

I guess. It's not like any male exclusive skills (that aren't HP +5) are worth (dis)gracing a gal's skillset with.

Counter wouldn't work against someone with Dragonskin, is what I'm saying (and for that matter, neither would Lethality).

I guess. It's not like any male exclusive skills (that aren't HP +5) are worth (dis)gracing a gal's skillset with.

That's really dumb. 5 HP is really lame, there are much better male exclusive skills.

Axefaire says hi.

That's really dumb. 5 HP is really lame, there are much better male exclusive skills.

Like what? The only one I can think of is in a class I hate and wouldn't make any male units into.

Axefaire says hi.

Perhaps, but unless I plan to have them in an axe using class, it's not going to be any help.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Like what? The only one I can think of is in a class I hate and wouldn't make any male units into.

Perhaps, but unless I plan to have them in an axe using class, it's not going to be any help.

You have to be flexible. You can't say a skill is bad just because you don't like the class. Besides, if your willin to have a fighter, why not a warrior or berserker?

You have to be flexible. You can't say a skill is bad just because you don't like the class. Besides, if your willin to have a fighter, why not a warrior or berserker?

Because if I don't like the class (which is the case with Derpserker) or I deem the skill to not be worthwhile (like Counter or Wrath), no deal.

Edited by Levant Fortner

Don't bother arguing with Levant Fortner; everyone knows his opinions blow and he'll refuse to back down no matter what. It's like arguing with a brick wall.

In any case, Counter can be helpful in a few situations and it's godly in Streetpass/Double Duel but it's pretty bad in most cases for the reasons people have stated before.

Yeah, I found out the hard way with Dragonskin... Guess I'll just stick with Lifetaker like what I did before.

Don't bother arguing with Levant Fortner; everyone knows his opinions blow and he'll refuse to back down no matter what. It's like arguing with a brick wall.

In any case, Counter can be helpful in a few situations and it's godly in Streetpass/Double Duel but it's pretty bad in most cases for the reasons people have stated before.

So it can be good, but has it's faults. Is it truly worth it though? I assume not, as what everyone's been saying (although it can be helpful with reasons you explained)

lol, and resorting to petty insults makes you look sooooooooooooooooooooooo much better.

But I don't agree with his belief that Axefaire sucks just because Berserker sucks, and the fact that only three major fathers can get it (Vaike, Henry & Gregor) should make it priority, especially since those three don't have much else to pass that's useful to their kids, aside from Vaike's daughters inheriting Luna and Gregor passing Merc & Myrm.

Edited by Suzuka Gongen