Podcast on the Music of Fire Emblem

KGB525

Haven't finished listening but I'm really liking this. You guys (I'm assuming the poster above me did this) know what they're talking about.

Although you completely skipped the 6th game 'Fire Emblem: Fuuin no Tsurugi.'

EDIT: Or seem to have mixed the 6th and 7th titles into 1 game considering that 'History Unvealed' is from 7 and 'Beneath a New Light' is from 6.

Edited by Ranger Jack Walker

Thanks! Yeah we didn't play anything from The Binding Blade. Both of the tracks we palyed are indeed from The Sword of Flame soundtrack. But perhaps you're saying Beneath a New Light was first used in The Binding Blade?

Thanks! Yeah we didn't play anything from The Binding Blade. Both of the tracks we palyed are indeed from The Sword of Flame soundtrack. But perhaps you're saying Beneath a New Light was first used in The Binding Blade?

Yes, that was what I meant.

Just listened to the whole podcast and first of all, good job!

I really like Video Game music and your commentaries on the pieces that you played really gave me more insight on track that I've grown to love.

As for the content of this specific podcast, I definitely agree that Awakening has the strongest soundtrack. There is so much track that I love in this game. And I totaly agree with your track of the week.

Since you stated that you haven't played the game and that you guessed that those who did play would love this track even more, I want to give you some details. The way battle music works in Fire Emblem Awakening is that usually, you have the Player Phase battle theme(i.e. conquest) and the Enemy phase battle theme(i.e. agression). There's also the ablaze/galvanised version of those theme that plays when units actually engage in battle. Also, before each battle, you usually get a preparation screen with this track playing.

Now, when you start the chapter where this track is played(it's only played once in the entire game, but it left its mark), one tragic event just happened and you get this on the preparation screen instead of the usual theme. Then the battle start and 'Don't speak her name' starts to play. And unlike every other chapter, this song plays continually, both trough player/enemy phase and in unit combat, only getting interrupted for a moment by the level up jingle. Add the fact that it's raining and that you can hear the character walk in puddles during combat and you get a tear jerking moment.

Also you are pretty right about the title of Awakening's track, they are usually a line of dialog that is said the first time said track is used.

On a completely other point, does anyone know if the section in the Together We Ride Melee remix between the 'Together We Ride' part and 'The Fire Emblem theme' is from a previous FE game or just something they added when they orchestrated the game?

And I'll make sure to check your podcast in the future :)

Edited by LuxSpes

• 2 months later...

This is probably one of the best podcasts I've seen on the web regarding video game music.

In response to your comments on film scores versus video game music: I feel that you're right regarding the decline of romanticized film scores and that video games are only growing musically. The days where John Williams and Howard Shore are dead/retired will be darker days for film scoring than they currently are if Remote Control Productions continues to provide composers like Jablonsky and Jackman into both the film and video game industry.

However, in the case of tonality and development of motifs, most video game music (Fire Emblem included) has a long, long way to go to match the nuanced development present in more refined film scores. Say what you will of the fine orchestration present in many video games nowadays, but film scores still have the advantage of not having to loop and repeat. I would say that the Zelda series is the closest to a sense of motif based symbolism in the video game industry, and the arranged symphonic movements that have been performed for live audiences.

In terms of Fire Emblem games, Awakening is a strong step in the right direction but the development of motifs is delegated completely and utterly to Ylisse (to the point where three of the four primary motifs are extensions of the heroes and hog most of the soundtrack). Compared to the hectic string of ideas that tend to be splattered about the previous games, however, focus on any new motif is an improvement (not to mention a good way to get gamers to create connotations between the games and the music).

Thank you guys for the wonderful podcast and for giving thought to video game music as a form of art.