Fire Emblem in Smash 4 Thread (2 Non-FE Newcomer Confirmed! An FE Assist Confirmed! 4/8/14)

Naui

139 members have voted

1. 1. What other Fire Emblem Lord would you like to see in Smash as a playable character?

• Alm
    • Sigurd
    • Seliph
    • Leif
    • Roy
    • Lyndis
    • Eliwood
    • Hector
    • Eirika
    • Ephraim
    • Ike
    • Micaiah
    • The Avatar (New Mystery of the Emblem)
    • The Avatar (Awakening)
    • Lucina
    • Chrom

• Replies 427
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I like most of the outfits for the DLC characters in Awakening. I don't know, Roy just makes those mercenary clothes look AWESOME. But *shrugs* I never did have an eye for fashion lol. Lyn's outfit is awesome, too, and I like Seliph's and Leif's. Don't really care for Micaiah's or Elincia's though.

I think the most they would do is maybe spruce up his design to fit with the other redesigns, but not much if anything beyond that.

Roy's Awakening costume is neat and all, but it's really just the Mecenary clothes, which is kinda lame tbh.

Thing is that Roy just looks so snazzy in them it makes them epic hahaha. In my opinion anyways

Ahem *Points at Marth.*

You most likely never knew this since you are saying this, but Marth was the main character of two games since FE9. And even further on, he's the first lord of the Fire Emblem series.

Asking for lords like Sigurd or Lyn or whoever is kind of slightly very different.

the modern FE rep this time around should be donnel

i can just see him using his spear to fight for justice and pots around the world

The hell are you talking about? His primary weapon isn't the spear, it's the pot. It's a freaking meme in BOTH the English speaking and Japanese community.

You most likely never knew this since you are saying this, but Marth was the main character of two games since FE9. And even further on, he's the first lord of the Fire Emblem series.

Asking for lords like Sigurd or Lyn or whoever is kind of slightly very different.

Lyn is actually kind of the first Lord that the western world ever saw so she does have that going for her. Part of why she was an assist trophy after all

I like Ike's RD design and hope we see him in that form. If you want moveset diversity, I think Micaiah is the best bet for the next FE rep. I would see her over Lyn, as she is a member of the Wii generation of games, which SSB4 will probably heavily based on.

...Both of which are remakes. I'll give you that he's the first lord, but I am going by first exposure dates, not most recent appearences. If I was, every lord would be a candidate that meets your criteria, because of Awakening. All I'm saying is that age of the lord really isn't something we should consider. I'm basing my choices on moveset potential more than how much I like the lord anyway. If I was basing it on how much I like the lord, I wouldn't even bother mentioning Celica. I prefer Roy and Micaiah (and Eliwood to a lesser extent).

As far as DLC designs go, I don't think they will use any of them because of Marth. I would love it if they included Micaiah's DLC design, though. I feel as if I'm the only fan of it.

No, I too like the way they gave a defective possessed sex doll silver hair and decided that was enough to pass it off as Micaiah.

Anyways, Marth is sort of the Fire Emblem lord. Roy and Ike are now iconic to the series too, but keep in mind that they were picked because they were relevant at the time. Marth has a permanent relevance to the series other lords don't have. A lot of FE lords are already a decade or more old.

No, I too like the way they gave a defective possessed sex doll silver hair and decided that was enough to pass it off as Micaiah.

Anyways, Marth is sort of the Fire Emblem lord. Roy and Ike are now iconic to the series too, but keep in mind that they were picked because they were relevant at the time. Marth has a permanent relevance to the series other lords don't have. A lot of FE lords are already a decade or more old.

I wish Ike wasn't a FE icon... Shame he is.

I fully understand Celica's chances are slim. There are people asking for less likely characters out there, so I'm not being as wishful as I could be. Celica might not be the most likely, I just believe that of all lords in the series, she has the most unique moveset potential due to having swords and magic. Micaiah is my second choice for similar reasons, not because she's my favorite lord though that may be part of it. The reason I wnt Roy, however, is dragons nothing more than the fact I like the character. We're expressing opinions, so don't complain that someone's opinion seems impossible. The fact that the most likely options seem like Ike, Chrom, and Roy is irrellevent to someone's opinion on the most unique possibility.

People are asking for Chrom, who would very likely have a playstyle similar to Marth/Roy or Ike. People ask for Ephraim and Hector, who would play more uniquely. Though I like Roy and would love to see him return, I'd like Hector and Ephraim almost as much because Roy has dragon (kinda).

I don't know that I've seen this suggestion thrown around recently: What if they do what they did with Melee and we get the FE14 lord in Smash this time around? We're probably not too far off from a FE14 announcement, anyways. It's been a year and a half since FE13 was released.

We didn't get a brand new game for like 5 years between FE10 and 13 (since 11 and 12 are remakes).

Besides, everywhere but Japan just got Awakening at the start of the year. The series has been around for almost 25 years, and we still have only 11-13 games (depending on weather you count 11 and 12). New releases are not yearly or so things. And by the gods, we don't want them to rush. My main problem with TWW was the rushed ending due to time constraints.

If we do get a FE14 character, though, I hope it's a mage. We need more mage-style lords! #unique playstyle wins.

I don't know that I've seen this suggestion thrown around recently: What if they do what they did with Melee and we get the FE14 lord in Smash this time around? We're probably not too far off from a FE14 announcement, anyways. It's been a year and a half since FE13 was released.

I've considered that, but I think there is plethora of options this time around. I think that was done in part because of convenience; Roy was designed as a clone. I don't think they would use a completely original character with all the other options they have. Also, it's possible SMT x FE might take up the next release date, as the team is hard at work on that (hopefully).

Roy was designed as a clone.

This is the exact reason I don't want Roy in the next game. He was a carbon copy of Marth way back in Super Smash Bros. Melee and even in the Fire Emblem series itself. I'd rather have someone who is different than Marth, in gameplay and character.

Edited by BlueSunStudios

This is the exact reason I don't want Roy in the next game. He was a carbon copy of Marth way back in Super Smash Bros. Melee and even in the Fire Emblem series itself. I'd rather have someone who is different than Marth, in gameplay and character.

I concur, And believe that the only ones with the rights to be REMOTELY clones, and still in the game are:

Mario and luigi (very similar back in melee and ssb64)

Fox and Wolf (Falco is in my top 5 guys... but he realistically needs to go)

CAPTAIN FALCON!!!!!!!! and Ganon (same control scheme, but different speeds, and different people.)

Ness and Lucas (the only real "clones" in Brawl besides fox and Wolf, meh... maybe drop Lucas)

Lucas and Ness are not clones. Yes their special moves share names, but they play quite differently. Lucas leans more toward his smash attacks and aerials, Ness is more about his throws. Brawl had no true "clones". And I doubt Smash 4 will either.

Um

Not gonna say that Roy isn't a clone, but saying that he was a carbon copy is just wrong. He DID have unique properties(the fire, and also apparently his Double-Edge Dance is actually useful). And of course there's always the possibility that he could be de-cloned(like Sakurai did with most of the other Melee clones that returned in Brawl.

Also, what do you mean exactly by different than Marth "in character?"

I concur, And believe that the only ones with the rights to be REMOTELY clones, and still in the game are:

CAPTAIN FALCON!!!!!!!! and Ganon (same control scheme, but different speeds, and different people.)

Ness and Lucas (the only real "clones" in Brawl besides fox and Wolf, meh... maybe drop Lucas)

Link and Toon Link much?

Mario and Luiga aren't really true clones anymore. Mario gets to be obnoxious with his water and cape, and Luigi is, well, different.

Have you ever played Fox and Wolf? They are COMPLETELY different aside from their up specials. Same with Falco.

Not going to object at Falcon and Ganon. Moves are similar, both stink.

What Glaceon said.

Um

Not gonna say that Roy isn't a clone, but saying that he was a carbon copy is just wrong. He DID have unique properties(the fire, and also apparently his Double-Edge Dance is actually useful). And of course there's always the possibility that he could be de-cloned(like Sakurai did with most of the other Melee clones that returned in Brawl.

Also, what do you mean exactly by different than Marth "in character?"

He probably is referring to the fact the two have somewhat similar personalities. Unrealistically idealistic, and then the resemblance stops (though gameplay takes it a step further).

I think he's getting at the fact that FE6 is basically an FE1 remake. I mean, up until FE6 you don't even really have archetypes. Then you have all of those showing up. For instance, up until Roy, the rapier is a Marth thing.

Edited by Rewjeo

Feena could use Rapiers in the original Mystery of the Emblem.

But that's the thing: It's a recurring trend throughout the series to have later characters based on earlier characters from Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem. This was reflected almost painfully in Binding Blade with Roy and the other characters in that game with subsequent games slightly subverting the trends to give us different characters who are not too similar to the Marth-Era games. Not every single character was based on someone from Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem, but a staggering amount of them were near identical. Here's an example I found which doesn't list every character but it helps you get an idea at what I'm getting at.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x198/pvpnk8/FE6and11comparison.png

Feena could use Rapiers in the original Mystery of the Emblem.

But that's the thing: It's a recurring trend throughout the series to have later characters based on earlier characters from Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem. This was reflected almost painfully in Binding Blade with Roy and the other characters in that game with subsequent games slightly subverting the trends to give us different characters who are not too similar to the Marth-Era games. Not every single character was based on someone from Shadow Dragon/Mystery of the Emblem, but a staggering amount of them were near identical. Here's an example I found which doesn't list every character but it helps you get an idea at what I'm getting at.

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x198/pvpnk8/FEl6and11comparison.png

I'd dispute several of the alleged "expies" on that list. Bors and Draug don't look much like each other at all. Neither do Ogma and Deke. And really, for most of those characters their status as "expies" of FE1 characters only extends to gameplay and their visual appearances. Most of them have unique personalities and backstories compared to their FE1 "counterparts." So IMO the criticism that most FE6 characters are expies of FE1 characters just doesn't hold up to me.

Well, sadly, we won't get that at all when we get either Chrom or Lucina. Don't know why anyone has hopes for those characters to be highly unique, when it's extremely obvious they are just going to be dumped aside as clones.